PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take for your hair to increase in thickness?

blondie9912
January 20th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Hi everyone :flower:
As many of you may know, I used to dye my hair tons. I finally came to my senses and have sworn off chemical dye. All of the dying I did this past summer made me shed like a Golden Retriever. The last time I highlighted my hair was 5 months ago (though I did use a light brown dye on some of my length about 3 months to even up the colour). My ponytail circumference is barely a ii, and it feels SO FINE! I definitely had more hair before I started colouring.
Since joining LHC I've started wearing my hair up nearly all the time, and only combing once a day instead of 4 times or so like I used to. I never use heat on my hair and am very gentle with it.

I'm wondering how long it will take for my ponytail circumference to increase, or for me to start feeling like I have grown back all of that shed hair? I'm about 5 months into the process. Another year? 6 months? 2 years? Any advice or experience that you have had with increasing ponytail circumference and overall hair thickness would be appreciated :)

Thank you all! :D

Achtland
January 20th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Ugh I hear you on this one! I feel once my shortest layers grow out my hair will *hopefully* double in thickness? Maybe.

I'm guessing for myself, since I used to be an avid bleach-er as well, it will be once my true natural grown color length hits my shoulders. Then I will know the true thickness I am capable of. In terms of time, I vouch that will be 6-10 months.

lesbia
January 21st, 2012, 04:44 AM
About a year or two for me. I start with a 3 cm pony circumference (with bangs) and now i've got a 6 cm circumference, without bangs :) good growt, be patience! :)

Mesmerise
January 21st, 2012, 05:47 AM
It really depends on how fast your hair grows! You'll notice your ponytail circumference will increase as more and more of the new, shorter hairs grow long enough to get into it!

I found that a high ponytail would increase in hair circumference faster than a ponytail at the nape, because shorter hairs would fit in the higher one that wouldn't fit in the lower one.

If your hair grows at an average rate of about 1/2" a month, I'd give it a good year before you'll see your hair's true thickness. If your hair grows faster, it will be less time.

alyanna
January 21st, 2012, 07:45 AM
Well when I started here about a year ago my ponytail was barely 2" but I had bangs and layers and my hair was in a bob so some nape hairs were short too.

About 6 months later I was well past the 2".

Now my best measurement was 3.25" and my worst (greasy, staticky, winter hair is about 2.75").

I guess - should change my hairtype to ii but I don't want to jinx myself ;)

joliherb
January 21st, 2012, 08:00 AM
Will my hair thicken with time if it isn't so damagen? I'm oiling weekly and messaging when I remember.

jacqueline101
January 21st, 2012, 08:03 AM
As soon as I started using the tips on here but my hair is fairly thick.

Madora
January 21st, 2012, 08:29 AM
Will my hair thicken with time if it isn't so damagen? I'm oiling weekly and messaging when I remember.

With time, and plenty of tender, loving care, your hair can thicken. It is just a matter of letting all the shorter hairs grow longer so the overall volume is increased.

Scalp massage is an excellent method of helping things along.

blondie9912
January 21st, 2012, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I was thinking a year or so would be the standard. I won't measure my pony often, just every 6 months or so. Hopefully when I measure again around summertime I'll see some improvement :)

alyanna
January 21st, 2012, 10:17 AM

Actually, the more damaged your hair is, the more improvement you will get after starting to take care of it. If you start an LHC routine with already healthy, well-taken-care-of hair, the less difference you will see since you already started with "good" hair.

Also, shorter and more layered hair will thicken considerably once it's all one length and in a blunt cut.