PDA

View Full Version : Moisture or protein?!

Hollyfire3
January 20th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I know i have tried asking this before but, i need to know, how to tell if your hair needs moisture or protein or is balanced. I think my hair was protein overloaded, then i used heavy moisture shampoo and my curls seem droopy now....i want my hair to be not crunchy but wurly and back to normal.

blondie9912
January 20th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Try clarifying your hair before you experiment with protein and moisture.

Hollyfire3
January 20th, 2012, 09:13 PM
I've already clarifyied, this is hardly experimenting (i wish it was, it would be more fun!) this is more like regulating...my hair was crunchy from a protein hair product, now it is mushy from a week of moisture...i think i will go with my weak keratin containing conditioner treatment. This should help structure my curls....

CurlyMopTop
January 20th, 2012, 09:27 PM
What did you use to clarify your hair? I feel your pain, I went through this over the summer for a while when I went cone/sulfate free. My hair becomes over moisturized quite easily. Try to figure out the porosity level of your hair. This will help to guide you towards the right protein/moisture level. For example, I've learned that my hair has a low porosity level, which means that products tend to lay on top of the strands. What it does soak in, stays in. I also have very fine hair, which compounds the problem. There isn't much protein in my hair naturally, but it doesn't need much either. Basically, less is more with my hair. I've learned to dilute everything and clarify often! Products build up very quickly on my hair, even coatings from shampoos and conditioners. I don't know if this helps, but good luck! :D

Hollyfire3
January 20th, 2012, 09:50 PM
What did you use to clarify your hair? I feel your pain, I went through this over the summer for a while when I went cone/sulfate free. My hair becomes over moisturized quite easily. Try to figure out the porosity level of your hair. This will help to guide you towards the right protein/moisture level. For example, I've learned that my hair has a low porosity level, which means that products tend to lay on top of the strands. What it does soak in, stays in. I also have very fine hair, which compounds the problem. There isn't much protein in my hair naturally, but it doesn't need much either. Basically, less is more with my hair. I've learned to dilute everything and clarify often! Products build up very quickly on my hair, even coatings from shampoos and conditioners. I don't know if this helps, but good luck! :D

Thanks for the luck, i need it! I clarifyed with vo5 kiwi lime clarifying shampoo, this was a week or so ago. I have been battling this protein moisture thing since the summer also and it is so frusterating! When i over mosturize, my hair is mushy and shapeless, when i use too much protein which happens easily, my hair looses all curl and becomes unreconizably flat....and crunchy. I moisturized nearly all week, just now, i used moisture conditioner on my length shampooed with moisture shampoo then used a keratin based conditioning treatment as my after shampoo conditioner. Protein makes me so scared of breakage so i actually check to see if my hair that comes out has the root still on it, just to be sure my hair isn't breaking off...i dont think one light protein treatment can cause breakage can it?

WaterMusic
January 20th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I think you need to adjust in smaller amounts instead of chucking a ton of moisture at it because it's crunchy. At this point, I would try a little bit of protein and see how it reacts. Micro adjustments! If it seems to need some more protein, then give it a bit more next time.

Remember, it's not about finding the perfect amount once, it's about maintaining a balance in your routine.

Hollyfire3
January 20th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I think you need to adjust in smaller amounts instead of chucking a ton of moisture at it because it's crunchy. At this point, I would try a little bit of protein and see how it reacts. Micro adjustments! If it seems to need some more protein, then give it a bit more next time.

Remember, it's not about finding the perfect amount once, it's about maintaining a balance in your routine.

Thanks, this light protein is a step toward fixing this balance. I have not yet, since the summer when i overdosed on protein for about 2 months (causing breakage, loss of curl and all sorts of horrible things in combination with past heat damage)
found a perfect routine, i am simply trying to have one good hair day as of now, then find what works so they are all good. It is a constant strugle, but i purposly used moisture products for a week because i went back to a protein filled blow dry gel in hopes that after my trim on 3 inches, my hair would respond better to it, but it just went yucky again...so i knew the moisture would balance it to a managable amount, now of course my hair is in need of a small amount of protein (i think, i wish i knew how to REALLY test) but i am still scared to go overboard.