PDA

View Full Version : Squiggly hairs

Keller1128
January 20th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Hello all! I have an S&D question. My hair is pretty straight, but sometimes while S&Ding I come to hairs that are straight all the way down until I get to the last inch - then they are a bit squiggly. Does this mean they have been broken or are damaged and I should cut them off? I've been cutting them off above the squiggle anyway just so they don't stick out all over the place. Thanks :D

tinywife
January 20th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I have this same problem, but mine squiggle all the way up to my scalp! Maybe I yanked it too hard while combing and now it's not straight anymore? Should I cut it or leave it? I wish I knew.

Keller1128
January 20th, 2012, 06:43 PM
I have this same problem, but mine squiggle all the way up to my scalp! Maybe I yanked it too hard while combing and now it's not straight anymore? Should I cut it or leave it? I wish I knew.

I have those, too. I've pulled them out before, but they grow back squiggly. It's so annoying. These straight ones with the squiggle just on the last inch are different though. I suspect breakage. I used to straighten my hair every day with no protectant (I stopped in June of 2011). That may have something to do with it.

Keller1128
January 20th, 2012, 06:43 PM
And HEY! Hair twin!

twopoints
January 20th, 2012, 07:18 PM
If they're only squiggly at the bottom, I think it's breakage. If you break a shed hair, you can see the ends of the break become squiggly. However, I have some hair that are like that all the way to the root. I think they just grow in naturally like that. Not all hair is exactly the same even on the same head of hair.

Keller1128
January 20th, 2012, 07:26 PM
So would it be best if I cut the squiggly bits off then (since it's from breakage)? I also really need to be more gentle while combing :/

Carissamarie08
January 20th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Just don't pull them out...because then you will become obsessed with pulling out those hairs like I did. You will just keep finding more and more and wanting to pull them out. Then it becomes a problem.

Keller1128
January 20th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Ah yes. I used to do that. It's very hard not to do, but I can resist now!

blondie9912
January 20th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Straight with squiggle at the end are definitely damage. Cut those off :)

sfgirl
January 20th, 2012, 11:30 PM
This thread has been really helpful! I never knew whether they were just damage or my hair needing more moisture.

luxepiggy
January 21st, 2012, 06:48 AM
I cut them off. If you're naturally straight-haired, those squiggly bits are damaged, and prone to cause tangles by snagging other hairs around them.

jacqueline101
January 21st, 2012, 08:14 AM
I had those in the past and I cut them off.

growfro
January 27th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Just wanted to say squiggly.

:D But this thread is helpful! I sometimes have the squiggly ones that are the entire length of the hair, very coarse and thick. Not very often. Used to pull them out, but now I hide the strand under the top hairs and try to forget about it.

BlazingHeart
January 27th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Keller, if you are having trouble being gentle while detangling, stand in front of a mirror and watch yourself. A lot of people find it easier to be nice to their hair when they can literally see the problem.

MissHair
January 27th, 2012, 03:40 PM
When I do S&D I always cut the squiggly ends. Even if they travel further back up. I can't stand them, they are equally as bad as split ends to me. I think they get squiggly because they've been damaged whilst wet in the shower or when combing damp. They sort of ''stretch'' and don't stretch back.

Amber_Maiden
January 27th, 2012, 05:13 PM
I cut them off as well. If they are squiggly further up I just cut them further up. I also think it has to do with the hairs being stretched out, and damaged because of the stretching.

SarahKayfa
January 27th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the thread- This is my problem too lately.

fluffybunny
January 28th, 2012, 12:58 AM
At one point I thought I had damage in the last few inches of my hair, because the texture felt rougher than the rest of my hair and just didn't lay as smooth as the rest. Then after a wash, it seemed magically repaired.

I finally figured out it was because I had wet-braided it at some point that week, and the hair that had been braided felt smoother. So the "damaged" ends were just the braid tassels that had air-dried. :o

Good thing I had a no-trim policy going. My DF was encouraging me to cut off the "bad" ends.

Cupofmilk
January 28th, 2012, 04:39 AM
At one point I thought I had damage in the last few inches of my hair, because the texture felt rougher than the rest of my hair and just didn't lay as smooth as the rest. Then after a wash, it seemed magically repaired.

I finally figured out it was because I had wet-braided it at some point that week, and the hair that had been braided felt smoother. So the "damaged" ends were just the braid tassels that had air-dried. :o

Good thing I had a no-trim policy going. My DF was encouraging me to cut off the "bad" ends.
I have to agree with this. I found loads of squiggly ends once and nearly got the scissors out to trim 2 inches away. But I washed first and the next day they were gone. If there are one or two in a bunch of good hair - I trim off.