PDA

View Full Version : Help. How to make a good bun for sleeping?

Henrietta
January 20th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Is there something wrong with me that I can't bun my hair for night? ;)
As it is past waist, sleeping in a braid is not comfortable any more. I end up sleeping on my braid, pulling it, "why I can't move my head? Oh, wait, it's my hand pressing it to the pillow" etc.

So I decided to try a bun at the top of my head. I did a cinnabun, wrapped my hair around the base and secured with big, soft velour tie. It fell down before I reached my bed. And I don't think it is about practice as I tried it a few times. Same with folded bun- I made a ponytail and then with every turn of pulling my hair through the elastic I pulled just half of it, making it shorter and shorter and a bun appeared. It works above my neck but not at the top. Falls down when my head touches the pillow.
I should add that a sock bun is disqualified at the very start. I hear my ends breaking when pushing them in the doughnut where they never stay as I arrange them, so they end up cracked and creased.

ETA: No bonnet for me either. DBF would kill me with laughter. In less than 15 seconds.

rock007junkie
January 20th, 2012, 02:17 PM
To avoid this issue I like to wear a bonnet. That way even if my bun gets undone during the night my hair is still protected.

Anje
January 20th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I'm another who wears a bonnet. My scalp needs a break from updos at night. If you can stand the extreme ugliness of a bonnet (not too much worse than a Cindy Lou Who sloppy bun smack on the top of your head, in my opinion), you should consider that as an alternative. As a bonus, I get nice waves by morning.

Madora
January 20th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Because I'm a very restless sleeper, I put my hair up in a loosely coiled braided bun:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6554&pictureid=104112

Instructions:

Bend at waist, bring all hair in front, like a curtain, and gently detangle.

Grasp the hair as if you were going to ponytail it in the center of the head but instead, divide the hair in 3 sections and then begin to loosely braid it down the length (I only braid 3/4ths of the way down).

Coil the braid in a circle on top of your head, using large crimped hairpins. Tuck the end under the braid.

Angel_Abby
January 20th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Lately I have been doing two loose buns (secured with those silky scrunchy things that look like an entire roll of panty hose... ) one above each ear. I sleep on my back and stomach so this keeps it from pressing into my head. One bun is too heavy and always falls down.

Anywhere
January 20th, 2012, 02:37 PM
It's not a bun, but I tend to do a *braid* on top of my head. Sounds silly, looks silly, but it stays out of my way.

I just let it drape over my pillow.

Henrietta
January 20th, 2012, 02:39 PM
I am sorry, but nothing of those will work. I will look like a fastidious and picky person who cannot appreciate any advice, but really, those are not for me.
DBF will not allow me to sleep in a bonnet :D
I tried hairpins and I loose them. But I may try them again, tough, with a BRAIDED bun :)
I sleep on my side, so no side buns.

Oh, Anywhere, that is an idea. My braid is not long enough to bother me, if started at the top. I will try it today.

Macaroni
January 20th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I bun my hair before bed. It's held at the base, on the top of my head with a France Luxe large sized ponytail holder.

Then I curly it into a giant roller shape and secure it with three extra long hairclips.

white.chocolate
January 20th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I avoid buns when sleeping because the pins I can use to secure them may be dangerous. Bobby pins, amish pins, claw clips and the like, I'm scared. I tried using an elastic band or a scrunchie, but they came off at some point somehow. For now, a single, loose English braid work the best and I don't think I need to change that. It can be uncomfortable at times. Maybe you could wear a bonnet with it? Or try 2 braids and make each one a loop and secure with a ribbon?

EDIT: Sorry. Didn't see your post. Cancel the bonnet sugestion. But what's wrong with a bonnet? :)

schweedie
January 20th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Have you got any spin pins? They're what I use on the rare occasions when I want to put my hair in a bun for the night - a cinnabun made as flat as possible and held with the spin pins works decently for me!

Fairlight63
January 20th, 2012, 03:43 PM
My husband laughed at my sleep bonnet at first, & I laughed along with him. One night I did not wear my sleep bonnet to bed & he asked "where is your sleep bonnet" he said that it is OK to wear it.
It is dark in the bedroom anyway - who cares if I have on a sleep bonnet or not. My son says that I look like from the Little House on the Prairie - but I just laugh along with him.
The price to pay to have long hair is the way that I look at it.

Amber_Maiden
January 20th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I'm another who wears a bonnet. My scalp needs a break from updos at night. If you can stand the extreme ugliness of a bonnet (not too much worse than a Cindy Lou Who sloppy bun smack on the top of your head, in my opinion), you should consider that as an alternative. As a bonus, I get nice waves by morning.

Agh! I do the Cindy Lou Who sloppy bun!!

But then again I don't only wear that to bed... I wear that everywhere....:rolleyes::o

nobeltonya
January 20th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I also use spin pins generally lately. I have to make a ponytail, fold it in half, then, holding the base [so the hair doesn't move], wrap into a bun and insert spin pins.. regular size, one in the end of the bun [where the coil ends] and one on the opposite side somewhere. Works well for me.

spidermom
January 20th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I also do a top-of-head braid. It works best if I lay on my back across the bed and start braiding that way. Then my braid is in the exact right place to direct over the top of my pillow. I also wedge a pillow between bed frame and mattress to be sure my braid does not fall over the top of my mattress and hang.

Sometimes I'm too tired and merely put my hair above my pillow, loose. That works all right, kind of.

katsrevenge
January 20th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Your hubby may just have to get over it.. I'm in the middle of stitching one up for myself. I mean.. I already get giggles for the silly head braids.. how is a bonnet/cap worse?

Or.. make a cute one?

AnnaJamila
January 20th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Have you thought of a snood or a chingnon cover? They are a little like a bonnet but they're made to be prettier. They look almost like lace- in my experience they hold just as well as a bonnet and look lots nicer. Hope you find something that works for you! :)

owlathena
January 20th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Have you seen loepsie's new youtube video for interlaced braids (torrinpaige has an example too)? Its flat and perfect for sleeping, I've done it the past couple nights in a row.

QMacrocarpa
January 20th, 2012, 05:54 PM
I usually wear a braid, but when I wear a bun at the top of my head I secure it with three smallish claw clips. Works fairly well, I haven't had them come loose. It's not really a good look for me, so forbearance from one's sleeping companion might still be needed, even without a bonnet....

Renate
January 20th, 2012, 06:30 PM
You could try a caterpillar "braid". You make a low and loose ponytail and use other hair safe elastics along the hair.

Kelikea
January 20th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I've been doing a low rope braid with an elastic at the bottom only, coiled once, tuck the ends in, secure with 3" hairpins. It is kind of a low/nape bun so I can still sleep on my side. Top knots did not work for me.

KN2384
January 20th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Wow, I was just thinking about this last night. I used a medium sized claw clip last night, (my hair is only BSL) and it was still in it when I woke up this morning. I'm really changing how I am thinking about my hair and how I take care of it.

I'm glad for this question and the replies!

Teazel
January 20th, 2012, 07:51 PM
We're almost the same hair type, so what I do might work for you: these days I always put my hair up in a nautilus bun, secured with a large velour scrunchie. A nautilus bun is more secure than a cinnamon bun.

I make it this way: bend forward, shake hair so it's all hanging more or less straight down, gather it up as if to make a ponytail at crown of head. Hold loosely with left hand, palm towards ceiling. Give it one soft twist by sweeping right forearm around the length, then stand up straight with hair looped over left hand and right hand holding the length. Wrap the length around the 'stem' below your left hand (I kind of throw it from right to left and wrap clockwise: my left thumb is in a handy position to hold each wrap as they're formed) and tuck the tail underneath the wraps. Pull the loop of hair down off your left hand and over the wrapped stem. The bun might need to be loosened a bit so it's not pulling, before securing with scrunchie. I put the scrunchie over the base of the bun, pull it out to the side and twist it before putting the second loop over the top of bun.

Phew! Hope that helps. Here's a pic of my sleep bun - this one's got a short hairstick in it. That works too, but if things fall apart during the night a pointy stick is less pleasant to lie on than a soft scrunchie. :wink:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=38632&albumid=2415&dl=1275092288&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2415&pictureid=38632)

Pierre
January 20th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I make two buns, one on each side, both braided, and hold them with Flexis. I wear the same style during the day, except that during the night, I put a Buff on it.

Long_hair_bear
January 20th, 2012, 08:14 PM
I sleep in two braids and throw one over each shoulder. That way, I'm not sleeping on top of my hair. I can't sleep in a bun.

lunalocks
January 24th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Lately I have been dampening the lower 3rd of my hair with water and cone free conditioner, french braiding from the upper back of my head so the french braiding covers my scalp, then wrapping the last into a seashell bun and pinning in place near the top of my head with spin pins. Stays out of the way, is secure and I have BEAUTIFUL bun curls in the morning.

Anje
January 24th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Agh! I do the Cindy Lou Who sloppy bun!!

But then again I don't only wear that to bed... I wear that everywhere....:rolleyes::o
:D Though it's not to my aesthetic, I'll admit that you make it look pretty good. I think it makes the majority of people look like Dr. Seuss characters, though.