PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between dry and damaged hair?

TropicalBreeze
January 20th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Or are they one in the same thing? I'm not sure if my hair is dry or damaged or both. I am always cutting length off my hair thinking it's damaged when maybe it's just dry. Ugh, sorry if it's a dumb question. Thanks in advance.

Schrei777
January 20th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Well damaged hair would be really dry. I think if your hair is just dry some deep conditioning and TLC will fix it. But if it's damaged it probably won't go away completely and will eventually need to be cut off. I would try some different methods (oils, no shampoo on the ends, etc.) to try to get moisture back into them and see if they get better :). And I think I've read a couple times on here that sometimes people have to much build up and their ends are dry because they need to clarify their hair to get rid of it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong :D

Jessykins
January 20th, 2012, 10:35 AM
normally with damaged hair, you'll have split ends, or white dots at the end of the hair. and dry hair feels a bit crunchy and looks a bit frizzy. i think you can save dry hair but once hair is damaged it needs trimming off.
to see what its like take a few small sections from all over, like an inch and hold it up to a light, like near a window or computer screen and look at the ends of the hair closely, and if you see quite a few hairs that have split into 2 at the ends you'll probably need to trim them down. if you dont really see any then your hair might just be dry and just needs more conditioning.
and for the odd few split ends , a few people on here so search and destroying, where you look through your hair and just snip off the end of the hair where its damaged, so you dont have to take off a good few inched or hair just for a few damaged ends. hope this helped :)

cheetahfast
January 20th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Or are they one in the same thing? I'm not sure if my hair is dry or damaged or both. I am always cutting length off my hair thinking it's damaged when maybe it's just dry. Ugh, sorry if it's a dumb question. Thanks in advance.

Do you use heat? Abuse it in some way??

My hair used to be damaged, I cut all of it off in one big swoop.
The damaged hair was very dry and a bit different in texture than my healthy hair.

Well damaged hair would be really dry. I think if your hair is just dry some deep conditioning and TLC will fix it. But if it's damaged it probably won't go away completely and will eventually need to be cut off. I would try some different methods (oils, no shampoo on the ends, etc.) to try to get moisture back into them and see if they get better :). And I think I've read a couple times on here that sometimes people have to much build up and their ends are dry because they need to clarify their hair to get rid of it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong :D

Not a correction, I just want to say some people have naturally dry hair and conditioning doesn't change it.
Mine is like this, always a tad dry feeling despite being pretty healthy and split free. I think it's more common in curly hair :ponder:.

Long_hair_bear
January 20th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Do you use heat? Abuse it in some way??

My hair used to be damaged, I cut all of it off in one big swoop.
The damaged hair was very dry and a bit different in texture than my healthy hair.

Not a correction, I just want to say some people have naturally dry hair and conditioning doesn't change it.
Mine is like this, always a tad dry feeling despite being pretty healthy and split free. I think it's more common in curly hair :ponder:.

Yes there is a difference. My ends used to be dry, but not plit and damaged. After I started using mineral oil though, the dryness went away. :D ya, my hair is naturally dry like yours, but straight.

FluffSpider
January 20th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I can use a boatload of shampoo on my length. That will make it dry, but not damaged. It'll be fixed by oiling and pampering. Damaged hair doesn't get a fix- at most, you can hide the damage until you cut off. Now, it's true that dry hair damages easier than well moisturized hair, but the two concepts are very different.
One can grow dry hair from one's scalp, instantly and naturally-it doesn't mean it's damaged. Damage implies some other factor, which altered the hair texture/quality

einna
January 21st, 2012, 08:50 AM
I find it hard to tell the difference sometimes. My hair is naturally dry, but it is still pretty healthy now. I had damage before (still have some) and the texture of my ends were different. The hair was rougher, dryer, tangled easier and it lost colour (became lighter). Before that again my dyed hair was soft as cotton and felt nice and tangle free (cones probably?), but the ends got bad quickly, and my hair would not grow past shoulder/apl range. So that was clearly damaged to...

Still I am not sure if dry hair is damaging in it self?? Or if it is mostly a symptom of damage (as in raised cuticles) and just more susceptible to damage. Anyone know?

jacqueline101
January 21st, 2012, 08:56 AM
Dry hair is dull and lacks moisture. Damaged hair is splits galore and has frizzy through out.

girlcat36
January 21st, 2012, 08:58 AM
My hair is fairly dry from the ears down, but it is not damaged. I have no splits or white dots.

einna
January 21st, 2012, 09:01 AM
One more thing. I have had pretty (but not super) damaged hair without getting many splits.. So that is possible to...

Maktub
January 21st, 2012, 09:11 AM
I see a clear difference :

To me, damaged hair must be eventually cut and cannot be repared (splits, damaged cuticle, white dots, porous bleached hair, etc.). It can be camouflaged in some extent (sillicones, etc.). It is also usually dry hair at the same time.

Dry hair is not always damaged and, in itself, can be moistured and restored (treatments, etc.) BUT is much more prone to damage (which is permanent)

spidermom
January 21st, 2012, 01:38 PM
Damaged hair has splits or rough-looking areas or white dots that are easy to pull apart. You can tell if you hold your hair in front of a light. The damaged hairs will look kind of "feathery", also be lighter in color.

Even healthy hair can be dry.

blondie9912
January 21st, 2012, 02:06 PM
I think of dryness as being temporary and just a result of something done to the surface of your hair. Things like using a shampoo that was too stripping or blow drying your hair (only once, obviously blow drying your hair often leads to damage). These problems can be easily repaired by oiling or deep conditioning. Damage, however, is the destruction of your hair's protein structure. This could be caused by prolonged heat use (heat denaturates, or unravels, the protein sequence of your hair) or being too harsh with brushing.

If you look at dry vs damagaed hair under a microscope, damaged hair would show breakage within the strand, while dry hair might just have a slight ruffling of the outermost layer (cuticle) or no visible signs at all, since some people have naturally dry hair.

lapushka
January 21st, 2012, 02:15 PM
Damaged hair is dry, split, has white dots, etc. ... but OTOH dry hair isn't necessarily damaged. It can be saved with moisture treatments, oils, etc. ...