PDA

View Full Version : YOUR experience with Castor Oil

Buffy
January 20th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Hey guys! I've been on Accutane and thinking of using Castor oil in case i experience hair loss. So.......:)

Do you use Castor oil on your scalp ?
If yes, doyou use it as a pre-shampoo treatment ?
How often ?
Have you noticed new baby hairs ?
How about hair growth ?
Do you use it on its own or do you "dilute" it with another oil?

Please share!!;)

There is already a post but it's too long and detailed and very hard to browse!

WaitingSoLong
January 20th, 2012, 06:01 AM
I tried it but not for long. Castor oil gets very sticky in my hair so I stopped using it. I didn't answer the poll because none of the answers apply to me.

bratz81
January 20th, 2012, 06:31 AM
I use a mix of castor oil, grapeseed oil and monistat (or daktarin as it's known here) on my hair.
I wash my hair either every 2 or 3 days depending on what it needs and I massage a load of this mix on my hair all over and leave it on at least an hour before washing.

My hair was shoulder length at the end of August, 17.5 inches and is now at APL, 21 inches. That's...3.5 inches in...what 4.5 months? So a bit better than the average of 0.5 inches a month. I did only start using the castor oil in Oct/Nov though.

I've noticed my hair thickening up a lot and a lot of new growth sprouting up since using it, I'm really impressed by how much new growth there is actually and how thick it's getting.

LadyCelestina
January 20th, 2012, 07:05 AM
I used castor oil on my scalp with no effect except shedding,sadly.

Loreley
January 20th, 2012, 07:41 AM
I tried it a year ago. I mixed it with olive oil or almond oil, used it as a pre-wash treatment twice a week for 3-3.5 months.
Results: extreme shedding, no faster growth, greasy scalp and dry ends.
After stopping using it the shedding stopped and 1-2 months later I had tons of baby hairs which looked like a halo... :( I had whole locks of new hair growing back instead of the ones I lost, I had to flat iron them sometimes cause I looked like an idiot.
So I'll never put castor oil on my hair again! :steam

almond
January 20th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Do you use Castor oil on your scalp ? Yes, I started using it to stop my hair loss, now I use it again to gain more thickness and length.
If yes, do you use it as a pre-shampoo treatment ? Yes, I leave it on my scalp for at least an hour, but sometimes overnight. I can remove castor oil with CO or shampoo, but some people have difficulties washing it out.
How often ? Once or twice a week. When I was shedding I used it more often.
Have you noticed new baby hairs ? Yes, a lot! I think I'm gaining back the original thickness of my hair, and hoping for more :cheese:
How about hair growth ? I don't measure regularly, for me my hair's thickness is more important. In December I was 2 inches away from waist, now less than one inch away, it seems like a good growth rate to me.
Do you use it on its own or do you "dilute" it with another oil? I mix it with coconut oil or EVOO (50-50%). Castor oil on its on is very thick and sticky. I tore out a lot of hair massaging my scalp with sticky undiluted castor oil, but I don't have this problem when I dilute it.

MonaLisa
January 20th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Gool results here! It helped me stop shedding, and I constantly get baby hairs.
It also is nice on ends...
I sometimes use it with EVOO, and sometimes jsut castor oil.

Using it once a week or once in 2 weeks, for scalp massage, 1-2 hours before wash :)

MissHair
January 20th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I bought Castor oil at a health shop 2 days ago and I had no idea the oil was so sticky. I thought it was going to be more liquid like Jojoba oil. I was told that I should only apply the Castor oil to dry hair, leave it in for the night and when washing it off only apply shampoo first, foam it up, without water and then rinse. This way the oil wouldn't get suck and it worked just fine.

Yea, basically.. it's very sticky and if I apply it everywhere it's not really hair I can go out with in public. I did shed alot from the oil. Maybe it only does that in the beginning? Im hoping I stop shedding later because I want to continue this. Im thinking of applying Castor oil for 2 months and see if I notice anything by thickness, I don't think it's going to add any extra inches to my lenght but definitely thickness.

MissHair
January 20th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Here is a woman who shows the fantastic results of her Castor oil use and how her hair grew back from the loss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHLLhiq44eY

Roscata
January 20th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I have in the past, I'm currently taking a break.

If yes, do you use it as a pre-shampoo treatment ?
Technically no, because I don't always use shampoo (I use CO). But yes I did castor oil treatments before washing my hair.

How often ?
Every time before I washed my hair which is about every 3-4 days (twice a week).

Yes I have.

How about hair growth ?
The first time I used castor oil my hair grew one inch in two weeks (I used it for 3 months that time). Then it stagnated so I stopped using it.

The second time I used Castor oil my hair growth was the same as without using anything (I used it for a month and a half the second time around).

The first time I diluted it with EVOO, the second time I diluted it with Neelibhringadi Oil (Ayurvedic Hair Loss Oil).

ETA: The first time I stopped using it because it increased my shedding while I was aiming to minimize it. The increased shedding could have been due to the scalp massages involved in applying Castor oil.

The second time I stopped using it because it (possibly) made my hair growth rate slower. With Neelibhringadi Oil (Ayurvedic Hair Loss Oil) I got 1 inch a month when I started adding castor oil it went down to 1/2 an inch.

ludwig20
January 20th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I have used castor oil (mixed with EVOO, now I've switched to coconut and sweet almond) since October as a pre-wash treatment. Truthfully, I haven't been as consistent as I'd like, but I have noticed great results. My temples were thinning and now they are fuller. It also helped my hairline; some of my hair follicles were somewhat 'dormant' and needed to be stimulated. I still have a wonderful halo, too. As for length, I haven't been measuring it- partly because I'm not trying to worry too much about my hair growth rate.

Henrietta
January 20th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I've tried it and i've seen good results. When added to my usual mix of coconut oil and EVOO it adds shine :)

auburntressed
January 20th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I've been using it for not quite a month now. I haven't noticed any increase in shedding or anything negative about it. I mix it half and half with SAO. I don't think I've been using it long enough to tell if there is a lot of new growth or if it has increased my amount of growth.

clarinette
January 20th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I've been using it for 2 weeks now, you could say as a "pre wash" treatment but most of the time, when I know I'll wash my hair the next day, I leave it on overnight.
I don't mix it with anything, I use it on scalp with a long massage as I watch TV at night, and slowly work it down the ends as it is very sticky and takes time to move.
First result: I feel like I don't lose any hair anymore....if I lose one now I actually notice it, as opposed to cleaning out hair from my comb in the middle of detangling, which I don't have to do anymore.
I haven't been using it for long enough to notice hair growth, an for now I'll keep reminding myself that the baby hair I seem to notice on my hair line might be imaginary. I'll tell for sure in a month or two...
What I can say though, is that after washing (I CO wash,and my boiler is broken atm so my hot water comes from a pan on the stove....old school, and it still works) my hair very soft and shiny if I managed to rince it all out, but if I didn't: it adds some body to my very fine hair. So, bad rincing is good.
I can tell you more of what you need to know in a few months, but for now I'm very happy with it!

Kira94
January 20th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I've never tried it. :)

swearnsue
January 20th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I mix castor oil with other oils. About 60% castor oil and the rest is coconut, sesame and olive. I massage in about an hour or two before washing. I've been doing this since August and my hair has stayed moisurized and new growth started right away. I didn't notice these new hairs though until about end of September when I saw them sticking out of wherever I parted my hair! The thickness of each strand of hair has increased a bit too. I don't know if castor oil has helped with growth rate or not. But it certainly has helped my hair grow stronger and thicker. Castor oil has also made my eyelashes thicker and longer.

emeraldfaery
January 20th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but as soon as I can get my hands on some, I will be trying it. Our local Walmart doesn't sell it anymore.

dementedkitten
January 20th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I've only just started using it. Infact I'm sat here with a head full of castor oil & extra virgin coconut oil, which I'll sleep in, and wash out tomorrow morning :)

LocustSpawning
January 20th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I had increased hair growth that I *think* was due to castor oil. It is hard to tell since it also could have been the time my supplements were kicking in, but anyway, I stopped after a month or two. I don't keep track of my growth well enough to tell you if there was a difference in how fast it grew afterwards! x

patienceneeded
January 20th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I used it weekly for 3 months and the only thing I noticed was increased shedding. So I stopped using it. My hair seems determined to grow at it's own rate regardless of anything I try, so I'm just letting it grow at the rate it wants.

CurlyCap
January 20th, 2012, 06:26 PM
I loved castor oil. My hair is very dry and loses moisture quickly. Castor oil was the first all natural sealent that my hair responded well to.. I tried it several ways, including adding it to my conditioner, on dry hair and after a co-wash. I preferred to add it 80:20 (castor:EVOO) after a co-wash and rinse my hair. I would sleep with my hair covered the first night, bun the second day, and after the next co-wash, my hair just seemed very sealed. Some would call it build-up, but to someone with dry, porous hair, it was beautiful.

I quit using Castor oil because it gave me horrible cystic acne. I'm already very acne prone, and I just could tolerate anything that made it worse. I ended up switching to shea butter as a heavy sealant, and have been having no acne problems. So shea it is!

Anywhere
January 20th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Yes.

If yes, doyou use it as a pre-shampoo treatment ?
No. I use it after I wash actually.

How often ?
Every time I wash and whenever my scalp freaks out.

I think so but I'm not 100% sure

How about hair growth ?
Stayed the same, maybe sliiiightly faster, but not by much.

I dilute it with coconut oil, about 50/50

I voted it worked in the poll.

This being said, I use castor oil to calm my scalp, since it flakes up after every wash, no matter if I shampoo, CO, or WO it. The castor oil helps control my shedding due to fixing my dryness, and so I do not use it for length.

Might not be what you were intending to gather info on, but it worked for my issue. :shrug:

sugarpixie10988
January 20th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I've tried it on my scalp before and it did nothing but make me shed like crazy. I've tried it on my eyebrows and eyelashes too, but had the same result. :(

ElusiveMuse
January 21st, 2012, 12:19 PM
I didn't vote because there is no option for, "I tried it and had a negative experience."

It made me shed like crazy.