PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have a scalp that hates winter?

Miss Maisie
January 19th, 2012, 10:38 PM
For as long as I can remember, any time the weather changes my scalp goes through an adjustment period of a few days where it's dry, tight, and itchy. It also seems to passionately hate the forced air heat in my current apartment. My husband has similar issues - we both have dry, itchy, flaky scalps (not to mention dry, itchy, flaky skin in general). I feel like my skin, head to toe, is trying to crawl right off of my body. Ugh!

I've been alternating CO and S&C to try not to dry out my scalp any further. I've also been trying to do scalp massages (evoo + a drop or two of tea tree oil, although I don't use the tea tree oil all the time), and that seems to help my scalp feel a little better.

Does anyone have any helpful tips or tricks for me? Help me survive this awful forced air heat without killing my poor scalp!!

Angel_099
January 19th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Hi there fellow Hoosier! :) I know what you mean! I had the same issues before this year. I think because I henna my hair, that might help...but I know that might not be something you are interested in. I also oil my scalp at least once a week with castor oil mixed with either coconut oil or grapeseed oil. I have been stretching my washes to only every three or four days too, and that seems to help. I mainly use shampoo bars too, which--for me--seem a lot better for my hair and scalp. If you have any neem oil, or can get any, it is known to help with dry scalp too. Hope that helps!

KahRistAhn
January 19th, 2012, 10:58 PM
I feel like I've had dry scalp problems for a long time, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

I tried an overnight heavy scalp oiling with coconut oil the other night and it didn't work for me.

Miss Maisie
January 19th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Oh! Neem oil is a good idea!! There's an Indian grocery store not too far from me, maybe I'll have to hit that up soon!!

I just did a nice scalp massage with some evoo and took a long hot bath. The steam + the evoo have my scalp feeling, well, like a normal scalp. It's a small victory :)

I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one who deals with this. Anytime I have an itchy scalp my OCD immediately screams "LICE! IT MUST BE LICE!" I always have to talk myself down :) Knowing that I'm not the only one who has scalp issues helps (almost as much as the oil!).

whimaway
January 20th, 2012, 12:38 AM
I also get super dry scalp in the winter! I co wash thoroughly to help exfoliate--I never feel like shampoos give me enough lubrication to really scrub up there. I also like to add equal amounts of brown sugar to my conditioner! It makes it super exfoliation and it smells amazing. It pretty much dissolves in hot water too, so it's nice to use.

I also am getting into oil treatments for the scalp when I DT my hair. Have tried olive oil and liked it, but heard coconut oil was great so I ordered some. :)

whimaway
January 20th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Sorry for this other post, but I also think a gentle shampoo, such as a shampoo bar or a sulfate free one makes sense if you have dry scalp.... If the skin is dry, it needs a gentle cleanser or it will just keep getting stripped of oil and continue to flake. Cutting out shampoo completely doesn't particularly solve the problem though...

whimaway
January 20th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Oooh! And anything with tea tree oil is amazing. It's numbing.

Woods Nymph
January 20th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Hmm...I will also be lurking on this thread. I kind of have itchy scalp issues year-round, but especially in winter.
Tea tree oil is something I've been thinking about trying lately, too..

whimaway
January 20th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Hmm...I will also be lurking on this thread. I kind of have itchy scalp issues year-round, but especially in winter.
Tea tree oil is something I've been thinking about trying lately, too..

It is nice, but I am not sure if it helps with health or just numbs the itch. Anyone have an opinion?

Amber_Maiden
January 20th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Yep. I get dandruff in the winter! And I never get it any other time! What I do is:

Pour undiluted ACV on my scalp
CO my entire length

And it works!

jacqueline101
January 20th, 2012, 12:01 PM
My whole body hates winter.

arielįgua
January 20th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I had itchy scalp in the beginning of winter, then I tried changing my regular shampoo to a mild soap shampoo and I no longer feel itchy. I also stretched my washing days a little bit too so the scalp can "feed" a little of oil and avoid getting dry and flaky. :/
I was also feeling itchy on my face skin, mostly on the forehead. But to that I only solved it by hydrating it with a cream. xD

Madora
January 20th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Would a humidifier in the bedroom help?

Long_hair_bear
January 20th, 2012, 03:00 PM

Nope, cause I have one and a dry scalp and it has yet to help me. :(

Long_hair_bear
January 20th, 2012, 04:02 PM

Nope, cause I have one and a dry scalp and it has yet to help me. :(

shikara
January 20th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Many years ago I used to use Selsun Blue. One or two washes with it would work for a while, then do it again. This year is going quite well, once I started applying my eo and carrier oil tonic, which I apply prior to washing. (i looked in the phone book under health and was able to find a woman who sells eos thru her home and she sells as small as 5ml so my oils were inexpensive). I made sure mine included lavender, which is a healing oil, and tea tree. It also has carrot seed, ylang ylang, clary sage, and rosemary- the carrier is jojoba. Ive also been massaging daily. Winter is very dry here in the Canadian prairies!

shikara
January 20th, 2012, 08:20 PM
OH, I FORGOT TO SAY that also switched to no cones shampoo and condish. Im thinking its the combination of my oil tonic, and no cones that is helping this year.