PDA

View Full Version : My roommate's hair growth

Eirelin
January 19th, 2012, 10:04 PM
I originally started this as a reply to the "Mirror Gazing" thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86348 but soon realized that it was both too long and starting to wander a tad off topic, so I decided to start a different thread.

Regarding looking at the back of your hair being surprised at how long it has gotten, I do look at mine often but only because I want to check how that day's style looks from the back. I don't like having it up all the time; it does make me look older, I think, and I really do want to enjoy the length, but I do have to have it up to perform wedding ceremonies (it looks more appropriate) and to meet with clients, etc., so all I see then is how the updo looks from the back, which is never terribly impressive.

However, on the days I do something nice with it but it is either a half-up or all the way down, then I look back at it and think, "Wow! It is still not really long yet, but it is getting there!"

My roommate's hair, on the other hand, is the one that really surprises me now. He is a 54-year-old guy with very fine and, sadly, thinning hair that is about 1a on the top and works its way down to 2c (I think; spiral curls and S-waves?) underneath. For most of his life, his haircare routine consisted of washing often, sticking it into a low ponytail to get it out of the way half the time and leaving it loose the rest of the time (sometimes under a baseball cap), and eventually ripping a brush through the inevitable rat's nest. Of course, he has always been very unhappy that his hair "just does not grow any longer."

Sometime around last September, I talked him into letting me take care of his hair (I had joined LHC in May and had learned enough to decide to at least try with his). Since then, I have done S&D on him twice, and 1 trim of just over an inch to even up the bottom.

Even with that trim, his hair has grown at least 2 inches since September, perhaps 23 inches now. For his hair, that is a HUGE step! It has never been this long in his life, and he has not actually gotten any more than trims since getting out of the Air Force in the mid 70's. I am actually envious of his growth because that seems to be about the same rate as mine without a trim! I just took his first length shot tonight, and I will take another one in a month, just so I can really be certain. (These will be in my album later when I can get them posted.)

Now, after he washes his hair (occasionally CO now, although I am still trying to wean him further away from the shampoo), I wait for it to dry, spritz it with water that has a tiny bit of conditioner in it (he doesn't like the smell of the oils and doesn't want me to use any), then detangle with my fingers first and then with a wide-toothed comb, and occasionally a follow up with a boar bristle brush (he loves the way that feels). Then it all gets put into a very low French braid from about the ears down to as far as I can get it and held with a clear elastic. When I did that tonight, I realized that the end of the braid has grown enough to go just past the back of the chair he always sits in for this.

Sorry for the long post, but I have been so excited for him. Sometimes the last thing I want to do is get up and take care of his hair, but the results have been worth it. So, I want to thank everyone here on behalf of both of us. You are all so helpful with your many, many suggestions, and although I am shooting for the pretty hair I had in the past, for him this is a new experience, finally getting the long hair he has always wanted. It is a shame that, as he is older, it is now thinning so he will never get that 70's Peter Frampton hair he wished for, but it is now soft and fluffy with nice braid waves when loose and sleek and shiny when braided.

So, thanks again!

sazzie88
January 20th, 2012, 08:17 AM
I think that is such a nice thingthatyou are doing for him, I would love someone to sit there and s&d my hair.

He is very lucky to have a friend like you that can help and guide him. It must feel very rewarding for you to watch your efforts work someone else's hair.

Well done!!

Anywhere
January 20th, 2012, 08:21 AM
But shampoo is not necessarily a bad thing..

And how thoughtful of you. I wish I could have a live-in hair assistant. :p;)

Eirelin
January 20th, 2012, 11:08 AM
But shampoo is not necessarily a bad thing..

And how thoughtful of you. I wish I could have a live-in hair assistant. :p;)

Thank you. I really didn't mean to imply that shampoo is bad, it is just that his hair is so much softer and just overall nicer when I talk him into conditioner only.

There are times when I wish I could get him to do my hair instead.

Nedertane
January 20th, 2012, 11:16 AM
That's so sweet of you! Glad he can be happy with his new length!

beachgirlla
January 20th, 2012, 11:17 AM
That's nice to hear, so what have you done differently from his basic old hair care that promoted this change, what do you think the major thing/things you have done that gave him these extra never before 2 inches :), it will be nice to know.

Eirelin
January 20th, 2012, 11:35 AM
That's nice to hear, so what have you done differently from his basic old hair care that promoted this change, what do you think the major thing/things you have done that gave him these extra never before 2 inches :), it will be nice to know.

I think it is partly getting him away from the constant shampooing and also switching to gentler products and no more coney leave-ins, but mostly it is simply fingercombing as much as possible, then the wide-tooth comb, and putting it up at night in a braid with the little silicone elastics. Since he has never done anything nice to it before, just yanking away at it with the brush when it turns into a a thick matted mess, it is quite a change to use shampoo only on the scalp (I have gotten him to do that most of the time, now) and conditioner on the length and then letting me detangle carefully and put it up at night.

I even noticed the other day that you can even see a line of demarcation between the older damaged part and the new growth on top (not particularly noticeable, but when I am combing, I can see it).

I just wish he would S&D for me; I can't reach or see the back :(

Hana
January 20th, 2012, 11:39 AM
That sounds like a sweet bonding experience, and a win-win situation for both your accomplishments and his goals. :)

Hope you continue to have fantastic results!

Eirelin
January 20th, 2012, 11:44 AM
This was August 7 (I guess it was in August, not September, when I started taking care of his hair). My first 5-strand braid.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/Eirelin/Hair/08-07-2011_cameo-bun_A.jpg

honeydippedxo
January 20th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Maybe it's growing so fast because of all the LOVE that's going into it <3. You're so sweet to do that for him. I wish someone would do that for me. I fricken LOVE the feeling of someone putting their hands through my hair, brushing it and braiding it. Feels soooo good.

jacqueline101
January 20th, 2012, 12:11 PM
You're a good room mate to care about his hair.

Eirelin
January 20th, 2012, 01:04 PM
You're a good room mate to care about his hair.

Well, I think so :D

But seriously, we have been best friends and roommates for over 11 years now, longer than my marriage lasted. Sometimes I am not sure exactly WHY we are best friends, but we do take care of each other and support each other. Sometimes we joke around about being stuck together forever, so someday when he is 100 and I am 85, we might as well just go ahead and get married and whoever dies first gets everything.

It's kind of funny and sweet, but I must admit I would like to have a love life someday, too.

dwell_in_safety
January 20th, 2012, 01:05 PM
That's really sweet of you. I'm trying to talk my roommate into letting me take care of her hair. :) She keeps saying everything I do for mine is silly while simultaneously complimenting it every time it's down for detangling/BBB. :p I think she notices and very much enjoys the difference, but she is as low-maintenance as I've always been and though I don't do much for my hair, I don't think she likes the idea of sitting around the apartment with oil and conditioner saturating her dry hair for hours.

Eirelin
January 20th, 2012, 01:07 PM
That's really sweet of you. I'm trying to talk my roommate into letting me take care of her hair. :) She keeps saying everything I do for mine is silly while simultaneously complimenting it every time it's down for detangling/BBB. :p I think she notices and very much enjoys the difference, but she is as low-maintenance as I've always been and though I don't do much for my hair, I don't think she likes the idea of sitting around the apartment with oil and conditioner saturating her dry hair for hours.

Ha-ha! Yeah, I cannot get him to do that at all.

Falcore
January 20th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Awww I wish I had someone's hair to play with - my man is bald!

That's so sweet of you doing that for him - he sounds a very pampered room mate.

P.S I just snooped at your album and your colour s beautiful!!!