PDA

View Full Version : Do you think hair like this is possible to achieve?

yufeyziqi
July 15th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Do you think it's possible to make your hair as smooth as in these pictures (without the help of photoshop!)?

(Photos removed because of possible copyright violations. Please use links instead. ~ harpgal)

Amara
July 15th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Yes, if you have naturally straight hair that is shiny, and somebody does something fancy with a shine enhancer and some gel, and you sit PERFECTLY STILL FOREVER. :D

Gumball
July 15th, 2008, 08:28 PM
It's possible, but in some (or many) cases it really requires the aid of tools and products. That's the marketing ploy. It looks so good you'll want to look that good, too!

Riot Crrl
July 15th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Or put a plastic hair-shaped helmet on, which is what it looks to me like they did.

Buddaphlyy
July 15th, 2008, 08:30 PM
In the past, I've had shorter hairdos that resemble the first picture, so it may be possible for some people.

crebbsgirl
July 15th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Yes, if you have naturally straight hair that is shiny, and somebody does something fancy with a shine enhancer and some gel, and you sit PERFECTLY STILL FOREVER. :D

LOL Amara.. thanks I needed that. :) I was just flipping through a Glamour mag at the dentist's the other day and was thinking the exact same question. I've recently come to the realization that my hair won't ever look like that naturally, without some sort of manipulation - because mine is not perfectly straight. And I had a momentary bit of discouragement. I think the hardest part of the growing out process for me has been making peace with my hair type and texture.

Golden21
July 15th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I dunno, I sure have never seen anyone with hair like this!

RavenDream
July 15th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I remember Kelly Ripa saying on Live with Regis and Kelly that they use special camaras to shoot those photos/commercials, so that the hair looks perfect and catches the light. For example nearly all the commercials that show hair boucing and flowy are shot in slow motion.

Makes me feel better about how my hair looks.

EvaSimone
July 15th, 2008, 08:52 PM
With a lot of work and tools like everyone has said, my hair with the use of silicones can look pretty smooth and I know if I had used a straightening iron and some shine serum it probably would have been pretty close. But personally I think hair like that looks shellacked and not really that awesome. It does look to me like the second photo was pretty heavily photo shopped..

If I remember correctly this was day two after using a heavy silicone "deep conditioner" I think I just let it air dry, so I think with some more work the smoothness could have been pretty close to that of the pics above (minus the thickness and extraordinary beauty lol)

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/rszpara/100_6072-1.jpg

My hair is mostly 1b and pretty fine but honestly I would trade some of the shine and smoothness for more thickness (we always want the hair we don't have huh?? lol :o)... I stopped using silicones because I like it when my hair has a bit more texture.

Karmal
July 15th, 2008, 09:15 PM
EvaSimone, its just my opinion of course, but I think your hair looks much better than the others. Yours looks shiny and healthy and the other looks fake to me.

dor3girl
July 15th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I remember Kelly Ripa saying on Live with Regis and Kelly that they use special camaras to shoot those photos/commercials, so that the hair looks perfect and catches the light. For example nearly all the commercials that show hair boucing and flowy are shot in slow motion.

Makes me feel better about how my hair looks.

You CAN have hair like this--but only in photos! The trick is lots of lights shining on the hair, someone to drape the hair just right & you have to use a ceramic iron to smooth out the hair's cuticle & maybe even a few drops of a silicone product.

mommy2one05
July 15th, 2008, 09:39 PM
With a lot of work and tools like everyone has said, my hair with the use of silicones can look pretty smooth and I know if I had used a straightening iron and some shine serum it probably would have been pretty close. But personally I think hair like that looks shellacked and not really that awesome. It does look to me like the second photo was pretty heavily photo shopped..

If I remember correctly this was day two after using a heavy silicone "deep conditioner" I think I just let it air dry, so I think with some more work the smoothness could have been pretty close to that of the pics above (minus the thickness and extraordinary beauty lol)

My hair is mostly 1b and pretty fine but honestly I would trade some of the shine and smoothness for more thickness (we always want the hair we don't have huh?? lol :o)... I stopped using silicones because I like it when my hair has a bit more texture.

Wow! I think your hair looks great there....course I don't know what it normally looks like....and that is without a straightener
Do you know what heavy deep conditioner you used? At our local wally world the only deep co I can find is a Pantene (and I have heard PAntene is not good on your hair). Did you leave it on your wet hair for a long time??

3c_Gemini_Curls
July 15th, 2008, 10:10 PM
My hair can get pretty close to that which is suprising because of my hair type...but in order for it to be smooth all the way down the shaft I would need to have blunt hair like in my below pic. Now since its layered you can see where the shorter strands stop compared tp the longest ones. I will admit my pic does look suspect but I have wiggy looking hair when its straightened
http://a443.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/115/l_05d331d47477c80c0578df9205957722.jpg

EvaSimone
July 15th, 2008, 10:56 PM
EvaSimone, its just my opinion of course, but I think your hair looks much better than the others. Yours looks shiny and healthy and the other looks fake to me.

Thanks! That was on one of my good hair days which can be few and far between :p
By the way I wasn't trying to fish for compliments :o I was just trying to give an example of how hair that is straight and fine can be similar to the OP's photos.

Wow! I think your hair looks great there....course I don't know what it normally looks like....and that is without a straightener
Do you know what heavy deep conditioner you used? At our local wally world the only deep co I can find is a Pantene (and I have heard PAntene is not good on your hair). Did you leave it on your wet hair for a long time??

Normally it doesn't look that nice, mostly because I don't use cones although sometimes I break down and use them. I was a really big cone head when I first started at LHC because my hair was damaged and cones minimized the appearance. I stopped using them and this pic was taken when I started using them again after a month or two without, I was so amazed by how straight and sleek and plasticky my hair was that I took a pic lol.

I don't remember the exact name of the deep conditioner, I remember that it comes in a white bottle and it's by Feria and I got it at Sally's but other than that I don't know. I left it on my hair for about 10 minutes and that's about it. By the way the Feria conditioner isn't all that great for your hair either though it might be better than Pantene. It has a ton of cones and I believe alcohol and maybe some protein but that's about it..

By the way 3C_Gemini your hair did look very sleek and straight in that pic, it did surprise me with your texture but I am starting to think that with the right tools most people can get pretty sleek hair it all depends on the amount of work and damage they want to put into their hair.

Elainehali
July 15th, 2008, 11:07 PM
it's possible...but not so cool if that's how straight it is every day.

<====1a girl

you know the grass is greener on the other side theory.

3c_Gemini_Curls
July 15th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Thanks! That was on one of my good hair days which can be few and far between :p
By the way I wasn't trying to fish for compliments :o I was just trying to give an example of how hair that is straight and fine can be similar to the OP's photos.

Normally it doesn't look that nice, mostly because I don't use cones although sometimes I break down and use them. I was a really big cone head when I first started at LHC because my hair was damaged and cones minimized the appearance. I stopped using them and this pic was taken when I started using them again after a month or two without, I was so amazed by how straight and sleek and plasticky my hair was that I took a pic lol.

I don't remember the exact name of the deep conditioner, I remember that it comes in a white bottle and it's by Feria and I got it at Sally's but other than that I don't know. I left it on my hair for about 10 minutes and that's about it. By the way the Feria conditioner isn't all that great for your hair either though it might be better than Pantene. It has a ton of cones and I believe alcohol and maybe some protein but that's about it..

By the way 3C_Gemini your hair did look very sleek and straight in that pic, it did surprise me with your texture but I am starting to think that with the right tools most people can get pretty sleek hair it all depends on the amount of work and damage they want to put into their hair.

thank you. the stylist used a chi iron on medium and get this....NO product. She used literally a drop of serum for shine after it was all said and done. suprisingly i had not one split end or breakage and my curls returned to normal after my next wash. I think the secret is using ionic heat and small sections at a time.

I have reduced the amount of cones I use in my hair. I basically only use cones now for detangling. the only pantene product that did my hair some justice was the relaxed and natural hair masque...but of course its being discontinued. cant win.

DecafJane
July 15th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Their hair looks as natural as their skin - it all looks manipulated so that it looks plastic and unnatural. I much prefer hair with texture, too.

flapjack
July 16th, 2008, 12:35 AM
It is definitely possible under the right lighting. The problem would be in the second photo with the hair over the shoulder. It's hard to get it to stay exactly like that over a shoulder for more than a few seconds. I'm sure they had plenty of product to keep their hair staying together in such a fashion.

Here is my hair, air dried after washing. No products. Regular lighting from my bedroom.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1121&pictureid=12886

Problem is... my hair would not stay over my shoulder in a uniform way like the second photo. Not a chance. It would slip right off after a second or two.

See? I can't even keep it on something wider and flatter than a shoulder, like my back for very long. Too slippery! Does not stay in one position! Haha. 2/3 of it is already slipping off by the time the photo was taken. Five second timer on a cell phone camera.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1121&pictureid=14215

And... since when is straight and smooth NOT a texture? That is very much a real texture of anything, including hair. It's natural and people do have it. I'm confused, here.

The fake part of those commercials that suggests computer programming was involved is the way the hair MOVES. I've seen those commercials of them running around... hair does not move like that.

tiny_teesha
July 16th, 2008, 01:21 AM
It can happen, but hair does have fly aways/baby hairs so those will be seen!

Darkhorse1
July 16th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I read in a magazine article that any ad such as this one or any other hair care item (Shampoo/conditioner), the product MUST be used in the shoot. This means, they cannot have models use a different shampoo/conditioner (or whatever they are advertising for) As this would be false advertisment. Now, having said that, they have stylists, really good lighting and people constantly fussing over their hair. Also, they have a 'controled' environment (read, the wind/rain or whatever is controled by people, not nature)

I thought it was an interesting article. If I could remember where I read it, I'd share ;)

Katze
July 16th, 2008, 05:46 AM

Beautiful shine and color! When I see your pic I see wavy hair that's been made straighter and smoother for a while...much nicer than the above advertising pics.

small hijack - I just posted about this in your profile, but when I see your ringlets in your avatar pic and the waves above, I don't see hair that's 'straight with body wave' - maybe if you encouraged the wave more it would seem thicker? That works for my fine, wavy hair...

jojo
July 16th, 2008, 05:59 AM
suppose it is possible and I too think the members who have posted pictures have nicer hair than the obviously tampered, straightened hair ones.

My hair can get the shine, but the smoothness no way, not for me anyway though it would be nice if it did!

lora410
July 16th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I don't think that hair is real AT ALL. Notice how they don't show the ends? and the top bangs the ends are very darkened. I think it's fake hair

happymommy
July 16th, 2008, 06:30 AM
My vote is Photoshop. They can take out all the strays and add shine and light. It is absolutely amazing what they can do with that program.

Take a look at http://www.iwanexstudio.com and you can see some really drastic celebrity before and afters done with photoshop in their portfolio. There is a picture of Julia Stiles where they have smoothed her hair and got rid of some tendrils around her face. Penelope Cruz and Eva Longoria Parker's hair both had super shine and highlights added.

JMHO

MoonCreature
July 16th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Yes, if you pluck away all the new growth (seriously.. there is not a single hair that is not at the complete lenght, poor women when they have a big shed), soak it in 'cones and flat-iron it :p Notice how they have photoshopped away the real line of the hair at the back? Where you usually would see some ends sticking up, a flyaway hair etc.

I think it would be possible to do if you had a few helpers, but as soon as you move a muscle it wouldn't hold.

3c_Gemini_Curls
July 16th, 2008, 06:53 AM
ok that sound extremely painful lol.

3c_Gemini_Curls
July 16th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I found another pantene model....she has beautiful hair in her candid shot but i dunno how tweaked her campaign ad is. she is a spokesmodel for pantene and in her youtube video about her hair she only references pantene for her at home products. i find that hard to believe but since she is endorsing it i know she cant mention other product lines.

http://www.shannonwashington.com/images/proc0067a.jpg

http://a148.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/30/l_76e52033945d9a830c855d5cb9c066b3.jpg

lora410
July 16th, 2008, 07:05 AM
My vote is Photoshop. They can take out all the strays and add shine and light. It is absolutely amazing what they can do with that program.

Take a look at http://www.iwanexstudio.com and you can see some really drastic celebrity before and afters done with photoshop in their portfolio. There is a picture of Julia Stiles where they have smoothed her hair and got rid of some tendrils around her face. Penelope Cruz and Eva Longoria Parker's hair both had super shine and highlights added.

JMHO

Wow I didn't know programs could either add weight or take it away!!!

Patrycja
July 16th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I admit-I love the shine in those pictures.Is it real? I don't think so,IMHO. I gripe and complain about my hair but I know I do what I can.

kate46
July 16th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Have you not seen MadHatter's hair? :eyebrows:

Golden21
July 16th, 2008, 10:08 AM

JMHO

That is amazing! The transformations are unreal!

thankyousir74
July 16th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Their hair looks as natural as their skin - it all looks manipulated so that it looks plastic and unnatural. I much prefer hair with texture, too.

I was thinking exactly that. It makes me a little sick inside that some girls cry because they can't look like that. I'm glad I grew out of "I wanna be a model" phase rather early. ::shivers::

tigerlily83
July 16th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Only with tons of product, blowdrying and flat irons. Even if you use stuff like that, you'll still have the baby hairs and dare I say it, split ends. It is totally fake and photoshopped.

vindo
July 16th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Well of course it would be hard to keep the hair in this neat position but I think the shine is for some even possible without the use of any products, flatironing etc.

Cassiopeia for example has super moist, shiney looking hair even with 1c waves! :)

But back to the pictures - they really did add some artificial glow to the hairs surface on picture 2. :rolleyes:
And artificial light really hits these ladys from every angle, when does that ever happen to you :lol:

wintersun99
July 16th, 2008, 11:40 AM

MissHair
July 16th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I hate false advertisement. Can I just say, no its not possible, at least not as in those two photos you posted because that hair is 'even', I dont see a single baby hair of new growth, its impossible to shed hair the same lenght and expect it to grow out like that, impossible. Maybe its possible to get hair as smooth and shiny, but not that evenly.

wendyg
July 16th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Those look like animations, not real photographs.

wg

spidermom
July 16th, 2008, 11:59 AM
No. Real hair comes in all different lengths all at once because of the shed/regrow cycle. In those pictures, there isn't even a hint that there are shorter and longer hairs.