PDA

View Full Version : I would like to hear about your prewash treatments!

shikara
January 19th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Ive recently started prewash treatments. So far, Ive mainly started with a steamed deep condish then poo and again condish - so CWC to be sure! No cones btw. The resukts have been lovely, as so many of you know. Tonight I am starting with steamed oil (by this I mean the method of oiling hair, then very warm wet towel over hair for ten min then rewet towel once more to hottish and apply again, then Ill wash and condish.

I would really like to hear about what you do and why. What if any method didnt work for you, and why.

raveness13
January 19th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I mix some cone-free conditioner with whatever oils I feel like adding, then slap it in a shower cap for as long as I can. Then I shampoo it out, and condition normally. This CWC works for me.
I have to say, just plain oil on my hair before shampooing did absolutely nothing good or bad for my hair. It just wasted oil.

Roscata
January 19th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I would really like to hear about what you do and why.
I always do a pre-wash oiling treatment that consists of: Neelibringadi oil on the scalp and coconut oil on the length.

I use the Neelibringadi oil because it significantly reduced my shedding and I've read that coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft and has been scientifically proven to eliminate protein loss and mechanical damage during washing (Link to article (http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf)). (ETA)Coconut oil makes it so my hair never feels dry after washing it, even if I use an SLS clarifying shampoo. I love it. :D

What if any method didnt work for you, and why.
Castor oil on the scalp didn't significantly reduce my shedding so I stopped using it, however it did give me a halo of new growth. (/ETA)

Amber_Maiden
January 19th, 2012, 07:32 PM
I used to do just a regular conditioner mask on dry hair, leaving it on for a few hours before I actually washed my hair. Now I do honey masks to lighten my hair, or a very heavy oil treatment.

xHeather
January 19th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I mix even parts of castor oil and coconut oil to put on my scalp, then for the rest of my length I just use coconut oil. For me, the castor oil on my scalp has helped my baby hairs to grow and the coconut oil makes my hair a LOT less dry after I shampoo/condition.

sparish2
January 19th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Twice a week or so, before bed, I lightly apply coconut or olive oil to my the length and ends of my hair. Then I put on a shower cap, put a towel on my pillow and sleep with the oil in. When I was my hair after I wake up, it is very soft and crazy shiny.

hellokrilly
January 19th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I rub Amla Dabur oil on my scalp as I've noted it made my hair grow a little bit faster,and on the rest of the hair I apply Neal's Yard Rosemary & Cedar (that I recommend to the Uk LHCers) wood treatment which is a blend of coconut oil,rosemary oil,lavender oil and cedar wood oil!I leave it on for a night and go on with my routine Liz Earle Botanical shine and VO5 Nourish me truly!

Hotrox
January 19th, 2012, 10:23 PM
About twice a week beofre wash mornings I mix equal parts of cone free condish and sesame oil, heat it gently and apply to the ends of my hair. I then bun and go to bed and CWC it out in the morning.

Angel_099
January 19th, 2012, 10:53 PM
I use different things depending on the mood I am in...that...and I have purchased a lot of different things I am trying to use up! I really like shea butter as a pre-wash treatment and a leave in. Pre-wash, I use more of course..and leave it on a few hours. I also use my oils: grapeseed, sweet almond, coconut, castor, apricot kernal. I rotate them and find that if I use them heavily a couple hours before I wash--they rinse out much easier. I attribute shea butter to softness, and castor oil has GREATLY reduced my shedding (I was shedding something scary a few months ago!!).

pretty wings
January 20th, 2012, 09:41 AM
I do a pre-treatment with a regular conditioner and unrefined coconut oil. I apply a little bit of the conditioner and then saturate my hair with the coconut oil. After that I braid up each section and go to bed for the night. The next day I wash it out with a sulfate-free shampoo and moisturizing conditioner.
The coconut oil helps to strengthen my hair. The conditioner softens my hair making it easier to braid.

Kristin
January 20th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I usually try to apply coconut oil to the length at least 14 hours prior to a wash (on a hair-up day) to prevent protein loss. I used to use castor oil on damp ends in conjunction with the coconut; it saved my desperately dry ends from a major chop. I also like Nightblooming's Triple Moon Anointing Oil when I do a scalp massage prior to washing, mainly because it smells amazing. :)

Henrietta
January 20th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I tried to apply condish for my dry hair but it was a disaster, so usually I oil my hair with EVOO + castor oil or with coconut oil at least 3 hours before washing. It makes my hair smoother and shinier after drying.

dwell_in_safety
January 20th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Before every other CO wash (about once a fortnight) I saturate my hair in coconut oil for 1-4 hours depending on how much time I have available during the day to sit around and do nothing, coating my hair with conditioner (this takes 5-8 palmfuls) halfway through. I actually used a mixture of coconut oil and EVOO for this a few times, but the results weren't nearly as good. My hair doesn't like EVOO much.

For CO washes before that, I coat my hair with conditioner an hour or two before washing. I'm planning to acquire some aloe vera gel the next time I'm at a place that sells them and will start doing SMTs for those CO washes.

einna
January 21st, 2012, 07:39 AM
I put coconut oil or a mix of coconut oil and EVVO on my lenght the night before washing. I mostly CO, and my hair can take a lot of oil.
I have just started massaging my scalp with a castor oil the night before to.

ElusiveMuse
January 21st, 2012, 01:48 PM
I put coconut oil or a mix of coconut oil and EVVO on my lenght the night before washing. I mostly CO, and my hair can take a lot of oil.
I have just started massaging my scalp with a castor oil the night before to.

Whatever you're doing, your hair looks gorgeous! I love how shiny and smooth it looks.

I just saturate my length with coconut oil before washing. I need to up the ante though, because my ends are so dry.:(