PDA

View Full Version : Question about hair dye and Brassiness

scata999
January 19th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Hello, my natural hair color is light blonde. I've attempted to dye it dark ash blonde or light ash brown with many different store brands. Thankfully, I only did patch tests as each one would turn my hair a shade of orange. I was only using ash colors, so I was confused as to why this was happening. I read in a hair color pamphlet that box hair dyes contain a high level of developer because they are intended to work for everyone, including those with darker hair. Could this be the reason why my hair turns out orange every time? Well, I ordered a dark ash blonde shade from Goldwell with the lowest developer (10) and I'm hoping this will work in creating a natural looking dark ash shade of blonde.

By the way I don't think my natural color contains a lot of red undertones, it just looks like a regular natural light blonde.

Oh and by developer I mean the peroxide percentage :)

*sigh* can only post, not edit. Anyways I forgot the mention the pamphlet stated that there is an inverse correlation between peroxide and color deposit. The peroxide lifts the color, and the lighter one wants to go the more peroxide is necessary.

dulce
January 19th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I always had brassiness even using ash shades and colour protecting shampoo.Both at home and with salon colouring,guess it's the type of hair we have?

Gingerbear
January 19th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Have you tried using a purple toner or shampoo to keep the brassiness out?

lilravendark
January 19th, 2012, 07:01 PM
When I dyed my hair dark ash blonde/ light ash brown I used a product called de Lorenzo nova fusion cool naturals range. It got rid of the brassiness and gave it more of an cooler tone here is what it looked like
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee86/su7h33r4/Mobile%20Uploads/mms_img17016.jpg
The more you use the colour and ash depositing shampoos and the longer you leave them in they will give you a very ashy colour I only used it once a week and it really helped get rid of the red tones.

spike316
January 19th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Have you tried using a purple toner or shampoo to keep the brassiness out?

Agreed, I think this should be more what you're looking for than a dye.

Roscata
January 19th, 2012, 07:34 PM
If the developer is your problem I would suggest strand testing a peroxide free, deposit only dye.

scata999
January 19th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Agreed, I think this should be more what you're looking for than a dye.

See, I think a purple toner would help if my hair was slightly brassy. But the issue is that all these dyes turned my hair completely orange, not just brown with an orange tint. The problem goes much deeper..

If the developer is your problem I would suggest strand testing a peroxide free, deposit only dye.
I actually have tested a product intended for men with greying hair, called goldwell reshade. The problems are that 1) it washes out within a week and 2) the color is TOO ashy, after its dyed my hair looks more of a dark grey than light brown. I want something more natural, it seems like that perfect balance is hard to achieve.

spike316
January 19th, 2012, 09:23 PM
See, I think a purple toner would help if my hair was slightly brassy. But the issue is that all these dyes turned my hair completely orange, not just brown with an orange tint. The problem goes much deeper..

Oh so you're looking to go darker then? This sounds like a job for Ultrabella.

UltraBella
January 19th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Oh so you're looking to go darker then? This sounds like a job for Ultrabella.

Lol !

I will be honest, in my experience box color is wildly unpredictable. It is a gamble every single time.
To go darker from where you are now, I would first start with a professional Demi color and I would choose a neutral to mix with the ash as well. No straight ash tones the first time. The Demi will have a peroxide developer, but it is just enough to open the cuticle and let the darker color penetrate. It will not lift your natural color, which is the key here. The lift you're getting is what is causing the orange. Eliminate that and you should have nice results.

NightOwl26
January 19th, 2012, 11:57 PM
I use demi dye too and love it. Ashy dyes always came out orange for me too. Unless you want to go darker or lighter I think that in-between color will remain orange-ish.