PDA

View Full Version : swimmers hair

Natty102
January 19th, 2012, 05:31 PM
are any of you swimmers? my hair spends hrs and hrs in the chlorine and has for my entire life. i've finally gotten serious about caring for my hair and while it isn't super damaged, i am curious what i can do to strengthen and help make it more beautiful.

any advice is appreciated. i hardly know anything about hair care.
thank you!

:)

CrunchyMama
January 19th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I swim fairly regularly.

If I intend to immerse my head, I oil my hair with EVOO, braid it into pigtail braids, and then pin them over my head, Heidi-braid-style. The braids and the oil protect my hair. Then I always shower immediately after and CO the oil and chlorine out. It works very well, and no, I don't leave an "oil slick" in the water behind me. ;)

If I don't intend to get my head wet, I put my hair up into some sort of high bun--whatever floats my boat that particular day--and secure it well. Usually the hair at the nape of my neck still gets a little wet from splashing etc. So at the end, I shower and CO my hair to rinse out any chlorine that may have gotten on my hair.

I'll add that salt water pools are better because chemicals suck, but still drying, so hair should be protected from salt water too in the same ways.

Woods Nymph
January 19th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I'm a swimmer, too, so I tend to have the same problem. Of course, wearing a swimcap always helps (which I'm sure you do), but my hair still gets very wet. I use something called Malibu 2000, I believe is the name. You add it to shampoo & it acts as a chlorine-stripper, effectively breaking down the bond between the chemical & your hair. I'm not sure as to the ingredients since I'm out at the moment, but it has always worked for me. I will say, though, that I find it a bit drying so I usually have to condition a bit extra after using it. Nothing crazy, though.
I definitely think CrunchyMama's idea of oiling your hair before swimming would help, too. Might be worth a shot. Heck, I'll probably try that one!