PDA

View Full Version : Does Length Make Your Hair Curlier or Straighter?

Tangles
July 15th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Many of us experience texture changes with length. Some 1c's start seeing ringlets. Some 2c's start getting stretched out, S waves. What changes did you experience when your hair went from the APL range to the waist/hip range?

VanillaTresses
July 15th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Mine seems to get ever so slightly wavier (in the loosest sense of the term!) the longer it gets. I wouldn't mind a lot more texture, meh, but it is just the way my hair is.

SweetPea88
July 15th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I think my hair has gotten curlier as it grows longer. When I joined almost a year ago, I think I was a 2a and now I'm in the 2b/2c range. It may also have to do with me handling it more gently and using natural products that bring out my hair's natural texture.

Cichelle
July 15th, 2008, 09:07 PM
It appears to have gotten less curly and more wavy. It is mostly curly only on the ends now.

Riot Crrl
July 15th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I can't vote because it depends on how much length.

My hair will be curlier at BSL than it will be at chin length. Then around waist/tailbone it starts to stretch out.

harley mama
July 15th, 2008, 09:29 PM
As mine got longer, the curl pattern was more noticeable.
But, I also stopped using cones, heat, shampoo and brushes.
I am sure all of that helped, also!

Altocumulus
July 15th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Mine got curlier in the range you mentioned, but after waist it's gotten straighter.

1nuitblanche
July 15th, 2008, 09:44 PM
My hair is a bit more textured now that when it was short: partly because of growing up maybe, but also probably because it was too short for almost any texture to really show.

Katze
July 16th, 2008, 01:38 AM
the longer my hair gets the curlier it gets; I now have stretched out ringlets that make two complete cycles, like the double helix! :cheese:

As my 'nappy' M nape hairs finally grow in, the proportion of overall curly hairs I have is increasing.

I think part of the difference is in the care, and in knowing that my hair is wavy. Before LHC, I blowdried/curling iron'd my hair straight, thinking it had 'weird bumps', and brushed it straight, and didn't use conditioner much because 'my scalp was so greasy.' Changing all this has been good for my hair as well as for more waves!

sexyjacksparrow
July 16th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Mine is only shoulder length so difficult to say. But I think it's got curlier. It was straighter at bob length - but that may be because I was treating and styling it differently and not embracing my curls.

Kerry xx

lora410
July 16th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I am a wavy and the longer it gets the softer my waves get :D

dvas
July 16th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I think part of the difference is in the care, and in knowing that my hair is wavy. Before LHC, I blowdried/curling iron'd my hair straight, thinking it had 'weird bumps'

Exactly my experience!

I got curlier/wavier between chin and BSL. Now that I'm approaching waist, the waves are more stretched out. I can still enhance them with some gel and scrunching.

Haith
July 16th, 2008, 07:40 AM
My hair is just as crazy as its always been. I would love for it to get curlier, but it doesn't seem to desire such a thing. No discernable change for me.

starla_zero
July 16th, 2008, 07:55 AM
When I was little, I had curly hair, like big spirally curls. As I grew it out to shoulder-ish it went really straight, now it's gone back to curly/wavy again.

Long_hair_guy
July 16th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Mine gone wavier since the bottom neck to mid back.

Also its more lighter which is nice.

But my hair is made up of cheese anyway

bunnii
July 16th, 2008, 02:25 PM
My hair definately got straighter, but it was pretty straight to begin with maybe its the weight? :shrug:

dor3girl
July 16th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Many of us experience texture changes with length. Some 1c's start seeing ringlets. Some 2c's start getting stretched out, S waves. What changes did you experience when your hair went from the APL range to the waist/hip range?

Mine has a bit more bend to it now--but maybe I only notice 'cause I let it air-dry more since it's long. It also seems thicker once it gets past collar bone & mid-back. .. what's up with that!?

Samara Morgan
July 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM
My hair's naturally curly and it's straightened out as I've grown it. I always wonder what would happen if I didn't comb it after I washed it though as I'm sure that makes a difference :agree:

Juliette
July 16th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Miine has become wavier and less curly which surprizes me because it's not as though it has a lot of weight to it. Still finding loads of those lovely ringlettes around my nape. Texture is still the same though, baby hair soft and fine!

Carina
July 16th, 2008, 03:14 PM
My hair is alot straighter now than it was at shoulderlength.I miss my curls so much :cry:.

Radulfr
July 16th, 2008, 03:17 PM
My hair gets straighter as it grows. When it was shorter it was all poofy and unmanageable. It lays down more now that it's longer, the way I like it. :)

vindo
July 16th, 2008, 03:29 PM
No changes for me :p

Starr
July 16th, 2008, 03:35 PM
My hair hasn't really changed.

spidermom
July 16th, 2008, 03:42 PM
My hair seemed to get curlier for quite a long time. As I pass hip length, it seems to be straightening. I guess the weight finally caught up with it.

AerisDawn
July 16th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Mine is very curly when it's short. Those pretty curls turn into loose frizzy waves as my hair grows. It doesn't completely straighten out until I get to waist length.

flapjack
July 16th, 2008, 04:47 PM
None of this changing for moi. So it's cheese voting time!

AJoifulNoise
July 16th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I was able to coax waves out of my hair better when it was shorter.

cuddledumplin
July 16th, 2008, 05:25 PM
My hair has got straighter as it has grown. My hair is quite curly when it is short.

ZaBasDa
July 16th, 2008, 07:56 PM
My hair has gotten a lot straighter and I have lost most of my volume. It looks like the typical long 3a hair now though.

Vainjane
July 16th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Mine was fairly straight to shoulders, then showed more wave from shoulders to mid-back, as it is getting longer it still has wave but is looser & harder to coax out.

Curlsgirl
July 17th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Mine has gotten less curly and more stretched out curly now. BUT I also don't do as much to enhance the curl now since I wear it up a lot more to protect it and keep cooler.

Faepirate
July 17th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Mine seems to have got a lot curlier!

ladystar
July 17th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Mine got straighter, but I think it has a lot to do with henna.

Paradise Lost
July 17th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Mine gets straighter when it's longer. I cut my hair from hips to slightly past BSL recently, and it seems that I am now more a 1c than a 1a/b like I used to be.

Euphony
July 17th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I used to have big, boingy spirals. Now I have waves with the occasional spiral. I have my hair up in a waterfall twist today though and was just noticing how near curly and spiraled the hair that is loose is.

Tangles
July 17th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Mine is waviest when between APL and BSL and starts straightening a LOT when past BSL. When I was waist, I sometimes looked like a 1c; I really liked it because my waves were definitely still there, but the hair from my crown to midback looked almost straight, and quite smooth. This is a MAJOR reason I'm growing, to gain smoothness.

Interesting poll--seems that wave pattern is very intricate and changes with length, age etc...

Islandgrrl
July 17th, 2008, 03:09 PM
My hair is too cheesy to tell....

Loreyanne_H
July 18th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Definitely straighter, it think it's the weight...

Finoriel
July 18th, 2008, 12:11 PM
It´s always been as straight as hair can be and growing longer did not change that at all. Even after being without cones, glycerin or other incis with straightening effects it does not show any waves.

embee
July 18th, 2008, 12:43 PM
My hair has always been straight, much to my mother's dismay. She would have given a lot for me to have spiral curls like spidermom has!

That "stringcheese" option is inspired. :) My hair goes to strings within moments of being brushed, and a wide tooth comb simply makes that happen immediately.

Nothing has changed about my hair except it is longer now. And softer since I keep it up all the time.

Saryn Jumail
July 18th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I don't get a change
My hair is curly either way, lol

heidihug
July 18th, 2008, 01:48 PM
My hair has always been straight, much to my mother's dismay. She would have given a lot for me to have spiral curls like spidermom has!

That "stringcheese" option is inspired. :) My hair goes to strings within moments of being brushed, and a wide tooth comb simply makes that happen immediately.

Nothing has changed about my hair except it is longer now. And softer since I keep it up all the time.

Hey, Embee - are you me? The only waves I ever have in my hair are bun/braid induced. Or from sleeping on damp hair plopped onto my pillow.

I picked string cheese, too.

kwaniesiam
July 18th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Now that my hair is short, it is much wavier than when it was longer. This may or may not have to do with the condition of it (previously damaged length due to chemical dyes) and I'm curious if the waves will become more defined or straighten out as my hair grows.

Saranne772
July 27th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Got wayyyyyyyy straigher!

WavyGirl
July 27th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Mine hasn't really changed but I can now make it appear straighter or curlier with the right drying and product choices. :D

zen_oven
July 27th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Mine doesn't really seem to change much as it grow longer--seems a little odd to me. I guess it gets a bit wavier, but it's not terribly curly to begin with anyway, so maybe it's just not enough to make me notice much change

emeraldfaery
July 27th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Looking back on pictures of when my hair was longer, (since I can't exactly remember) my hair stayed the same. Straight.

mitabird
July 27th, 2008, 05:23 PM
It appears to have gotten less curly and more wavy. It is mostly curly only on the ends now.

Mine is the same way.

Elanor
August 13th, 2008, 03:15 AM
This is interesting! :) My hair's about the same; the ends are bendy/wavy but otherwise it's pretty straight. When I had very short layered hair, it maybe looked wavyer, because it was "all ends" and no long lengths, if you know what I mean :D

Daoine Sidhe
August 13th, 2008, 07:24 AM
This is interesting! :) My hair's about the same; the ends are bendy/wavy but otherwise it's pretty straight. When I had very short layered hair, it maybe looked wavyer, because it was "all ends" and no long lengths, if you know what I mean :D

I have the same thing ! :) My hair is straight with a bend/wave at the ends. So indeed, I have a little bit of layers and you see waves because the ends are at a different hight :)

When my hair is soaking wet, I get spiral curls at the end :) Straight hair with spiral curls at the end :D

Your hair looks just like mine by the way :eek:

RedElephant
August 13th, 2008, 09:21 PM
My roots and a couple of inches down are wavy now. The ends are still curly.

eadwine
August 16th, 2008, 10:55 AM
So far it seems to be straighter. I have some nape hair that is new growth and it is solid in the 2 region. I wish it would STAY that way :(

Chromis
August 16th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I started getting long s waves. It's not enough to really be considered wavy, more like combed out braid waves.

darkwaves
August 16th, 2008, 03:23 PM
It would be fun to poll groups with different hair types on this, to see if those with straighter hair become more wavy --- and ditto those with curlier hair.

I don't think the length alone makes a generalizable difference... depends on the hair type.

30isthenewblack
August 16th, 2008, 04:58 PM
The curls straighten out as my hair gets longer. Eventually, I'll have to make a decision as to how long I want my hair as my goals are a) thickness, b) definition of curls and then c) length.

purplelover
August 17th, 2008, 08:50 AM
My hair when I was younger was straight and smooth but since I have gotten older. It has waves in it. I love to have my hair like it was when I was younger. My is hair blond and white, mostly white.

beyondcute
August 17th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I think the actual weight of my hair stretches out the curls towards the roots. I get way more curl at the ends

itsMEowKat
August 17th, 2008, 03:38 PM
The shorter mine is the curlier it is, especially around my face and at the nape of my neck where I get little ringlets. But as it grows out it straightens and becomes more "lightly wavy".

=^..^=

Rain
August 17th, 2008, 04:19 PM
The longer my hair gets, the more the weight of it pulls the curl out. Period.

Lena43
May 1st, 2009, 02:36 AM
I can't really talk about long hair, but I started 2 years ago with a short cut, and my hair is getting curlier the longer it gets. That might change when I have really long hair.

masterofmidgets
May 2nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
Curlier, definitely - I didn't even know I was curly until I started growing it out. When it was short it was stick-straight, but around APL I started to get full-out spirals at the ends and deep waves all the way down.

marialena
May 2nd, 2009, 05:44 PM
Even if I ironed my hair they wouldn't look so straight. The longer they get the straighter they look.
Not so nice because anyone can see my new grown hair stand up on my head like freshly cut grass. :p:(

Once I tried to make my ends a little curlier. My try lasted exactly 15 minutes.
:p :lol:

CaityBear
May 2nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
Well, the first time I had long hair I got one single S wave.

This time around I haven't noticed any change. My hair is still as straight as possible.

RedFrizz
May 3rd, 2009, 02:03 AM
My hair is a lot straighter when it's long, which sucks. But I solved this problem a while ago with lots and lots of layers, which was the best decision I've made like ever!

drquartz1970
May 3rd, 2009, 03:07 AM
My hair is only just past the shoulders and it has gone from being a bit wavy to more straighter hair with less wave in it then before and will probably get straighter as the weight stretches the hair down.

Misha
May 3rd, 2009, 07:53 AM
I've had it chin length, and now BSL, and there seems to be no difference in the curl.

rhubarbarin
May 3rd, 2009, 06:18 PM
In the last few years I've been as short as 1" buzz and as long as waist (30" the LHC way). Right now it's 26".

My hair is so variable it's hard to tell. Products, techniques and weather make a difference. Various parts of my head grow hair that ranges from a tight 3b curl to barely a body wave. Overall, it's been bendy rather than curly when very short, very curly (more a 3b than 3a) from a few inches long until past shoulder, and less curly the longer it's gotten after that.

Nanni
May 4th, 2009, 10:14 AM
My hair got alot straighter when it got longer. Everytime a hairdresser gave me layers and a shorter style it curls up and is hard to control. I also think that the chemical dye I used a long time ago made my hair curlier and frizzy.

JamieLeigh
May 4th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Mine was always stick-straight when I was younger, and even at nearly knee-length, it was pretty much a 1b at best. HOWEVER. I was also using -cones pretty regularly, and now that I've put them down, I'm a 2a/2b...and a 2c underneath my canopy. Ringlets!!! :D

KajiKodomo
May 4th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Length makes my hair straighter. Right now, it's still above shoulder length, and I have these crazy big curls in the back, but once it grows, it will be wavy, and the longer it gets, the straighter it gets. :D

Sarahmoon
May 5th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I think it got curlier (wavier) but not sure if that's because of the length or because I started using another conditioner and braid my hair far more often. Probably the latter.

lailmil
May 5th, 2009, 11:11 AM
lenght just give a lot definition to my hair, but it's not more or less curly I guess

RavennaNight
May 6th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Mine got much straighter as my hair got to waist.

flapjack
May 6th, 2009, 01:09 AM
My hair is completely straight, so it's just always been straight. Cones, no cones, knee length, shoulder length, hair color, natural, heat, no heat, etc. Anything I've done to it, it stays straight. I get super tight rag curls and very wavy braid waves and that's it. I'm quite happy with that, though, as I prefer my hair very straight.

ilovelonghair
May 6th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Got curlier for me. When it's shorter its very straight. My partner has the same thing going on: when shorter it's bigger waves and now he has heaps of ringlets.

Rhiannon7
May 6th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I've noticed that for my hair, it depends whether it is damaged and dry or healthy and moisturized.

when dry and damaged it can be straighter, more tangled.
but when deeply moisturized it tends to get wavier, i cannot claim curls no matter how much i moisturize, but it does seem more wavy, less tangled and fly-away.

LadyEliza
May 6th, 2009, 10:05 PM
The straight bits remain straight. The curly bits keep curling!

Kelsey89
May 25th, 2009, 04:39 PM
My hair has gotten curlier.

LittleOrca
May 25th, 2009, 04:47 PM
My hair was always wavy. As my hair got longer it was easier to see, but I don't think the length made it wavier. It does get straighter when I don't was it for a while. :silly:

invisiblebabe
May 25th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I don't know :) When I went from APL to waist/hip, I was from 10 to 12 years old, and my hair texture, which was probably 1B/1C then, has changed since those days (thanks to hormones).

Now my hair's about BSL, and I've grown it from there to almost waist a few times, and the waviness stays the same - it's about a 2A/2B all the way through.

angelhr
May 25th, 2009, 09:25 PM
My hair is only shoulder length now, but my hair has been stick-straight all my life... until a few months ago. It didn't have anything to do with getting longer, but I stopped using cones and "chemical" shampoos, and I have waves!!! They're very slight, but I was shocked, as I never saw a wave in my hair... EVER. Very strange indeed, to see waves in your "straight" hair at the age of 46!!!

ademtce
May 26th, 2009, 09:56 PM
my hair oddly enough curls more on the ends when its shoulder length.

windinherhair
October 13th, 2009, 08:31 AM
My hair has always been straight for as long as I can remember so it really made no difference when it got longer. My grandmom has told me before that she thinks my hair would be curlier shorter since I had curly hair when I was a baby, but I know I have no natural curl left. :)

Brighe
October 13th, 2009, 08:37 AM
My hair has changed a little bit in texture but that´s due to my ca´hange of shampoo.
I´m conefree now and my hair is a little bit straighter.

going gray
October 13th, 2009, 10:51 AM
My hair curls up with a short style. The weight of longer hair pulls my curls out.

3azza
October 13th, 2009, 12:02 PM
My hair got less curly with length, i guess because it's heavier.

winter_star
October 14th, 2009, 04:06 AM
The longer mine gets, the straighter it gets. The shorter, more layered bits of hair tend to be wavey though.

JCFantasy23
October 14th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I've never noticed a change in my hair with growth.

Kris Dove
October 14th, 2009, 02:38 PM
My waves have gotten a lot straighter- my bangs are still about 1b but the longer part is about 1a.

prittykitty
October 14th, 2009, 02:52 PM
My hair seemed straighter when I was a child and is was very long. When I had it cut, it seemed more curly. When my hair starts to grow out is when the curls tend to relax a little. I think the longer mine gets, the more relaxed my curls will get.

Naamah
October 15th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Mine gets a tiny bit of wave at the bottom sometimes now that it's longer. I'm hoping I'll get more waves once it gets even longer. <3

Wicked Princess
October 16th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Definitely straighter.

Of course, my hair is naturally very straight - I just permed it a few years ago, and some of the curls have held. Actually...it's more like waves, now.

Eventually, all those "curled" ends will be cut away, and my hair will be naturally straight, not just pulled straight from the weight of hair. :)

girloctopus
October 16th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I get ringlets occasionally. I used to just get poof.

Quixii
October 16th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I voted for the cheese option because as my hair was growing out, I brushed it every day. I always thought it was just wavy. Then I stopped brushing (recently) and realized it was actually curly the whole time and I was brushing out waves. So for all I know it was just as curly as it is now, or more curly, or less curly. Whatever it was, it wasn't straight. :)

jasper
October 17th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I don't think it is a real texture change, but I see waves at this length because it can't hang straight to dry straight at this length.

Elfe
October 17th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I have little waves/curls on the ends of my hair now that it's long.
But I noticed, that my hair isn't that voluminous what it used to be when it was about shoulder length. I had more bigger waves, but now I have only curls on my ends.

Talma
October 17th, 2009, 08:17 PM
When I first started growing out my relaxer I had loose waves that quickly turned into tight curls. Now after about 2 years of growth (which has been sabotaged by a stupid hair dresser that lied and said she could cut my hair and I swear if I see her again she will get a punch right in the nose! Anyway...) My curls seem to be clumping into bigger curls instead of smaller ringlets. I'm hoping that they will loosen a bit more over time so shrinkage won't be an issue. Funny thing is, my brother has the same kind of hair as me and when it's short it's slightly wavy, maybe a 1c. When it get's to be longer than that the curls slowly turn into 3c.

Laylah
October 17th, 2009, 09:49 PM
It got curlier from APL to BSL, and then straighter from BSL to waist. But since it is still curlier than at APL, it has generally gotten curlier.

At APL, my hair was 2a-2b'ish, just stretched out waves among stronger waves. At BSL, it was 2c'ish with some 3a/b ringlets in the underlayer and on the ends. At waist, it was mostly 2c but my ringlets are now looser, mostly just 3a.

Sissy
October 17th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I think mine has gotten straighter with length.

Elphie
October 17th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I think my hair has gotten straighter with length too, which doesn't surprise me because I've been this length before. The waves (at shorter lengths) were more of a surprise because I didn't know I had them. I'm thinking I am in more of a 1c range now.

Aeris
October 17th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Mine gets straighter - I don't mind it, since I find it easier to safely add curl with sock curling or foam rollers than it is to try and straighten it without much damage.

Although I wish my ends would curl as they grew..they are always straight, while my shorter layers wave to their hearts' content :(

23_seconds
October 18th, 2009, 12:49 AM
||||||||||

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 18th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I voted no real change, but I think for mine, the longer it gets the straighter its getting because its lengthening the curls/waves but its also helping with the frizz problem too so I don't mind the loss of curl for the added weight :)

Sihda
October 18th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Curlier! Since I've reached APL my hair is quite curly when handled with care. (Otherwise it is a big poof) I don't know why it is curlier now, maybe it's because I'm treating my hair better and the curls are more defined instead of tangling together in one big frizz.:confused:

AnaGeorgette
October 31st, 2009, 09:05 AM
my hair gets straighter with length which kind of sucks. It's easier to take care of straight but it doesnt look as crazy anymore

horseprincess
October 31st, 2009, 01:44 PM
I voted no discernible change, because It only gets wavy when it is layered.

klcqtee
October 31st, 2009, 05:36 PM
My hair changes drastically. At chin length, it's a 1a/1b. By the time I hit BSL it becomes a 2c/3a.

Oh boy I can't wait to have my curls back!

Peter
October 31st, 2009, 05:40 PM
Mine got a bit straighter as it got longer. The ends are starting to curl up less, and the waves down the length are a bit more stretched out than they used to be. I don't mind though, as long as they're still attached to my head! :p

Smitts
November 1st, 2009, 10:01 PM
I would imagine it gets straighter due to more weight.

Debra83
November 1st, 2009, 10:14 PM
Mine has gotten wayyyyy curlier. Probably because of my different routines. It wasn't this curly before when it was long because I always dried it straighter and brushed it straight. This is sooooo much easier.

BranwenWolf
November 1st, 2009, 10:40 PM
Mine gets straighter. It was pretty curly when short but really, really annoying because it refused to go into ponytails, braids, etc.

It's in nice waves with some curls when it's at tailbone. I still don't know how to use the A/B/C grading system.

pradabacon
November 1st, 2009, 11:38 PM
I really have no idea, because when mine was shorter, I always blowfried it which makes it straight...so it's cheese for me.

Henrietta
August 13th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Got straighter. Or I just make myself believe. It's connected with growth, obviously. I don't believe that my hair decided to make my dream come true and become silky smooth. But if yes, I want to be redhead too, you hear me? :)

tinti
August 14th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I don't know. When my hair is shorter, or layered it's wavier, but when I have one lenght it's straighter. So I would guess straighter, but curls and waves stays equally good when it's one lenght, and they come just as easy as one lenght. Make a bun, go with it for a few hours, bam, I have spirals and wavies and wurlyes all over. That's why I'm so unsure of my hair type :p

30isthenewblack
August 14th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I can't remember if I posted in here already but now my hair is hip straight, I seem to be losing a bit of my curl but it's not overly noticeable. I do choose curl over length though so I'm only planning to grow my hair to waist or hip curly.

RachelRain
August 14th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Mine has huge waves when shorter, but they're barely visible when it's long like it is now. You can still feel them if you play with it (or at least I know I can, when I'm brushing it, and my mom says she can) but it looks pretty much straight now.

christine1989
August 14th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Mine varies widely from day to day but overall it has become a bit straighter.

Juneii
August 15th, 2010, 01:35 AM
My hair had slight body waves up until waist length. Now that it is between hip and tailbone my hair is relatively stick straight :)

Kibitzer
August 15th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Mine seems to have gotten curlier. I think because I've started to take better care of it.

Purdy Bear
August 15th, 2010, 10:38 AM
From what I can remember of it (Iv had Univarlis for a few years now), the longer it got the curlier and I also had cork screws coming at the end.

Dragon
September 24th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Mine seems to stay the same.

Phexlyn
September 24th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I'm not quite sure yet, I think longer means wavier for me, but this might change as the thickness grows in. The thicker parts start to spiral a little bit ;)

selenechiba
September 25th, 2010, 12:05 PM
It seems as though my waves are more pronounced with length, but as I age my hair tends to loose curl.

JenniferNoel
September 25th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Not the slightest difference. My hair retains it's texture from chin to tailbone. It knows what it wants and will not have otherwise.

sunshine-locks
September 25th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Pretty sure it gets straighter the longer it is, because when its above shoulder length it flicks out horribly and has strange body waves, but now its mostly straight, and when it was about MBL, it was basically entirely straight :)

squiggyflop
September 25th, 2010, 04:28 PM
the weight pulls it straight.. when its shoulder length its wavy and gives me triangle head..

now just the ends are stretched out spirals.. well actually its one giant 3.5 inch diameter spiral

enfys
September 25th, 2010, 06:33 PM
My hair gets straighter, but has more bun waves due to the better buns. Swings and roundabouts; an outsider probably couldn't tell the difference.

torrilin
September 27th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Not anywhere near waist, but I am developing a texture change... looks like my hair has been kept scant on moisture and now that I'm doing things like wet oiling, it has discovered that it can be curly.

I find this very funny since I have always tried to keep my hair pretty well conditioned... but clearly that wasn't enough!

tanya222
September 27th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Strange because when I was little I did have long hair, but IIRC it was pretty much straight, not stick-straight but close. Now my hair is long again, and not only am I seeing defined waves, when I asked here for help to be hair-typed, some said I almost have some near-spirals near the ends! (my siggy pic was taken for 'hair-typing day')

anodyne_ame
October 4th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I had a very tiny wave in my hair, which seems to smooth out the longer it gets. Luckily. But I doubt I'll ever reach stick straight and silky.

angelfell
October 4th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I've noticed after my perm that has the hair got longer, it was heavier, and pulled the curl out more. However, each strand of my hair is thick/heavy (but I don't have a lot of strands, making it look thin), so the longer my hair gets, the less likely it will hold curl very well at all (it already doesn't like to hold it). I figure when it hits waist length, curl will only stay curled with a cake of hairspray :p.

kitschy
October 4th, 2010, 09:34 AM
As my hair gets longer, it grows down instead of out. No discernible change in curl.

virgo75
October 4th, 2010, 10:44 AM
As my hair has gotten longer, it has gotten straighter.

Or at least it's a LOT harder to get it to hold a curl or curl pattern even though it's really curly, it's also very fine. So it "gives up" easily. :lol:

Most days after I wash I'll put it into a braid or twist and let it dry that way so it will at least have some sort of wavy pattern. It's actually more work to wear it curly. :shrug:

faeflame
October 4th, 2010, 01:12 PM
My hair was straight at pixie, wavy at BSL, and now past tush it is straight. The length has really pulled out any waves I might have had and flattened my hair against my scalp.

MissManda
October 4th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I think my hair might be getting wavier.

Upon my last wash and air dry, I decided not to mess with my hair at all. When it was about 95% dry, I took a look at it and lo and behold, some bits looked distinctly like S-waves. And no, I'm not talking about the slight body wave either! What is also interesting is that my hair was wavier before henna (DBF used to dote upon my mini-waves, hee hee).

So I changed my hairtype from 1b/1c to just 1c.

I did a hairtyping thread a while back, but I was getting so impatient for my hair to dry, I think I messed with it way too much and the S-waves were mostly gone. It made me feel like I was crazy because I keep seeing S-waves but you couldn't see them in the hairtyping photos.

Kaijah
October 4th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Definitely straighter. My shorter bits (old bangs, layers, etc) at shoulder or above are pretty strongly 3b, most of the long length ends up 3a, and the under layer/weighed down bits are 2c.

Lemur_Catta
October 5th, 2010, 08:32 AM
When my hair was shoulder-apl, my hair went in all directions forming strange waves that gave me a lot of movement. Now that is it waist length, there is still some movement around my face (where I have face framing layers) and a strange wave in the back, that stays there even when I blow dry. The rest of my hair has gotten pretty straight, though, so I'd say that my hair straightened with more length.

Roscata
October 5th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Although my hair is short now, when it was long it was straight and now it is wavy, so it definitely straightens, I guess it's the weight? *shrug*

Eire
October 5th, 2010, 12:44 PM
When my hair is short, it is poofy. I think the length weighs it down, turning the poof into waves.

xpeacelovekoala
October 6th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I was always told that the longer it is, the more it pulls down waves and makes them straighter. Although, I am still a little naive with this knowledge. ;)

BrightEyes7
October 6th, 2010, 11:20 AM
It has always been wavy... but after waist the middle of the length got straighter.

The roots and ends are curly/wavy but the middle is kinda like 2a now.

cmnt831
October 6th, 2010, 11:30 AM
It looks slightly wavy when it's at shorter lengths. It curls to 3a at mid-lengths. Now that it's going past waist, it's losing the curl again. If I baby it, it still gets spirals, but they don't last very well.

2peasinapod
October 6th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Wavier! It had no waves when it was short (:(). Even before I started taking good care of it, it would always be mostly straight (but very damaged and unmanageable) except for one "bump" right around my shoulders.

Nienna
October 10th, 2010, 09:12 AM
My hair has gotten noticeably wavier as it's gotten longer.
However, I'm not sure how much is length and how much is the fact that my hair is healthier now than it used to be. When I keep to a regular oiling schedule, my hair almost forms curls if I don't comb it out.

bellawave
October 10th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Definitely curlier. When I had a bob, it was almost straight.

emmabovary
October 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM
If all one length, definitely curlier the longer it gets. Although short layers make it look curlier even at a shorter length. Don't know if I'm making any sense... haven't really been able to get to grips with this myself :p

IcarusBride
October 10th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I've always had 1A BSL hair but since I got to "~waist" I suddenly got ringlets on the very ends of my hair! It was a total shock. My 6 year old sister has always had hair like this (even at SL) so it shouldn't surprise me that I have genes for a little bit of curl.

tigerhearted
February 24th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I was a 3b/c at shoulder length and above. Went down to a 3a/b at bsl. Now at waist length it is like a combination of 2b/c/3a.

krissykins
February 24th, 2011, 11:58 AM
As my hair has gotten longer, I've noticed that it's more wavy than curly these days. It isn't fair! :(

strigiformes
February 26th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Mine starts out looking straighter, looks wavier overall from about APL to waist or so, then appears to get straighter again as I go longer. My waves aren't very strong, so it's pretty easy to comb/smooth them out at all lengths.

ScarlettAdelle
February 26th, 2011, 10:12 PM
When my hair's long it weighs itslef down, just another reason for me to grow it to amazing lengths XD

mira-chan
February 27th, 2011, 06:08 PM
It got a bit curlier but that might not be the length but a new texture growing in.

Anywhere
February 28th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I voted got straighter. My hair gets tighter curl if it's short (too short makes it straighter though). But it depends on if its brushed/combed or has product in it or not as well. There are pictures of me as a child with SL 3aish hair and SL 1c/2a hair, so it depends.

ooo
March 1st, 2011, 03:36 PM
It is probably caused by all the braiding and stuff, but my hair got straighter.

missoj
April 2nd, 2011, 07:50 AM
Mine gets straighter, my hair starts out really curly at my root, goes into loose curls as it gets longer and at a few points it is wavy.

constancev18
April 2nd, 2011, 07:42 PM
Length has made my hair a bit straighter but I still have to apply tension (banding, twisting, braiding, or bunning) to really straighten it unless I use heat.

Angeldances
April 2nd, 2011, 08:38 PM
It hadnt realized that I had curly hair until I started growing it! but it has definately gotten straighter since waist lenghth.

owlathena
April 2nd, 2011, 09:21 PM
I think my hair is about the same wavy one day curly the next that its always been. It'll probably straighten out a little as it gets longer though.

telegraph64
April 2nd, 2011, 09:38 PM
No change for me, however I did experience a bit of a thickness loss in regards to ponytail circumference measurement. I went from an ii/iii to an ii.

thelittleredfox
April 3rd, 2011, 02:03 PM
Mine is very thick and the weight of it keeps it pretty straight. When it was short it just went in every direction, I hated it.

Jcv-Shelley
April 3rd, 2011, 02:10 PM
My hair is thick and when it get longer, my length seems to add in weight :p

corinthluv
April 3rd, 2011, 06:10 PM
The longer my hair got, the straighter it got. Can't wait to see if it reacts the same this time around, since I've switched to CO.

Scarlet_Tear
April 4th, 2011, 11:26 AM
got curlier for the moment

CTH3989
April 4th, 2011, 11:34 AM
The longer my hair grows the looser my curls get.

Amber_Maiden
November 4th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I think it's getting wavier, but I'm not sure...

tamchronic
November 7th, 2011, 03:44 AM
How I wish it would have grown curlier, not straighter! I had lovely natural waves when my hair was layered and at about APL, but the length and weight currently at BSL have all but eliminated this. I'd rather have the length than the waves, but it'd be nice to have the best of both worlds.

I wonder if going cone-free as I plan to do would resurrect my wave pattern? I hope so, but doubt it -- the sheer weight of my hair will probably prevent it.

KwaveT
November 7th, 2011, 08:47 AM
I can only guess what my hair is going to do as it gets longer based on my hair and what others have said. My hair when its short, think about the ear and short in front and back, is actually very straight. As my hair has grown though it has gotten much wavier. It is just below ear, bottom of my neck, and bangs to tip of my nose. I suspect waves are going to straighten and smoothen out some as my hair gets longer. In no way will my hair be straight again.

Cowgirl16
November 7th, 2011, 09:17 AM
My hair is stick straight and flat in a short bob. After it reaches BSL it starts to get curly.
I've also noticed less curl since my shed:(

battles
November 7th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Mine is very straight until it reaches mid-neck or so, and then it starts to get wavy.

PinkyCat
November 7th, 2011, 09:19 AM
The longer it is, the more the weight stretches out the curl.

Shuan
November 7th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I lost some of my waves, so I guess it made my hair a bit more straight. It's just my ends now that still curl up.

rach
November 7th, 2011, 01:14 PM
as it's got longer the top to my shoulder length has straightened. length below that has stayed at it's same wave/curl. So over all its straightened due to weight.

papera
November 7th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Mine stretched out at the head and is still wavy/ curly in the length, but it has stretched out overall since it has reached midback/ waist line (I'm now at hip length)... when I had chin length it was wavy, but the length wasn't enough to "make curls" ...

DollyDagger
September 4th, 2015, 10:44 PM
I think my curls get more spirally the longer they get..but we'll see since Im only at BSL.

Frankenstein
September 5th, 2015, 12:25 AM
Definitely straighter. I had a lot more waviness at APL/BSL. I don't usually mind though.

parkmikii
September 5th, 2015, 01:35 AM
It got a little straighter, from a solid 2c to 2c/2b even some bits of 2a.

lapushka
September 5th, 2015, 03:28 AM
As it grew to BSL, it definitely enhanced the waviness of it, but now at classic, it's kinda pulling the waves back out. :lol: Maybe I need to find a happy medium? Hmm; not sure. ;)

Sparklecake
September 5th, 2015, 07:41 AM
Once my hair got to waist last time it was that long I started noticing more and more spirals. When I cut back to APL my hair was definitely straighter, now its approaching BSL the spirals and creeping back in.

Groovy Granny
September 5th, 2015, 06:42 PM
I don't notice a change...even after cutting the rest of my layers out....and in Summer I still have my usual curl explosion.
That made me happy; now I have no ends popping out lol...and a thicker hemline.... but still have wurls :thumbsup:

Johannah
September 6th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Curlier (or at least, wavier). I went from 1b to 2a (but this has also to do with the use of protein in my routine) ;)

Nuala
September 6th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Definitely straighter. My hair is a bit wavy when it's short, and almost straight when it is long. I think it's because it is quite heavy and the weight drags down the waves.

syndel
September 7th, 2015, 01:38 AM
I'm quite wavy regardless of length, but the longer my hair gets the more they stretch out.

yahirwaO.o
September 10th, 2015, 01:27 AM
Straighter, when I hit mid back-waist and further down, it was always a 1A type. Shorter behaves like a solid 1B pretty much all the time. Whe it was short and layered 1C!

Unzadi
September 10th, 2015, 04:20 AM
Straighter. I've been trimming off damage, almost up to APL now, and there's noticeably more curl, which I like a lot. Bit of a surprise on that one. BSL and longer, I have fairly relaxed spirals, likely stretched out by the legnth.

BlueSky
August 24th, 2016, 02:32 PM
In any case straighter. I have not so much curly hair, but the short curl more.

lithostoic
August 24th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Straighter, not by much though.

Hairkay
August 24th, 2016, 02:59 PM
I'm guessing that the small tight waves at my roots in the crown area will be curled up more if my hair was very short. No matter what my curls are always there. Strands start off wiggly like this ~~ but then change to corkscrew spirals. Wispy hairs which are shorter can form Os, Ss, and little spirals.

CarrotTop
August 24th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Usually, my curl pattern is "braidwaves," but if I actually let it dry however it wants, without finger combing, then it forms 3a ringlets from hip length to BSL, then 2c waves from BSL to shoulder length, and then 2a waves (if that) from shoulder length to the scalp. When it was shorter, around collarbone length, it was a mix of 2c and 3a.

HairPlease
August 25th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Mine got curlier after BSL. I'm back at APL and it's more 1c than 2a.

Shepherdess
August 25th, 2016, 10:45 AM
My shortest hair and bangs that I grew out will curl into 3b ringlets (from 2 inches all the way to waist length about), while the rest of my length (from TBL to thigh length) are much looser larger 3a curls, though sometimes after I clarify or use curling creams I get more 3b curls in my entire length (mostly toward the end of my hair though). :)

littlestarface
August 25th, 2016, 10:46 AM
When I was a baby like 6months to 4 my hair was very wurly I had the most lovely wurlyspirals ever, they looked so cute, I wish I could have those spiralies all throughout my hair even when long.

After my hair got longer hip to knee from ages 5 to now my hair is a mess straight/wavy. I swear it can never make up it's mind and just be one dang thing. Like seriously why can't my hair either choose to be a curly or a straighty :rolleyes: T_T wavy girl problems.

vampyyri
August 25th, 2016, 10:56 AM
My bangs are definitely swoopy (side swept, no need to style them, they just have that perfect wave), while my length needs a little extra help to get the wave back.

Stepo_NiNha
August 26th, 2016, 06:54 AM
It used to get wavier/wurlier in the ends when I hit MBL but this was before I did a hair straightening 2 years ago. This dates back to the time when my hair care routine was just shampoo as well.

Now I must have some traces from the hair straightening from APL down to the bottom because this part is more damaged here and the ends are not that wavy (just a bit). Not sure whether this is the hair straightening (I doubt that it lasts for 2 years) or if it's just the ends that are more moisturized and have more protein treatment as I started to use conditioner and hair masks in a regular basis.

By now, I don't know how to answer!

I know many people like to see curls in the ends (me either!) but those curls used to eat a lot of length... I hope they won't come back!

Ligeia Noire
August 26th, 2016, 11:11 AM
Mine is straight to the waist and curly from there, my mother has sleek straight hair and my father very curly too but only when it is a bit long, so I am my mother to the waist and my father to the thighs <p

Floh
August 27th, 2016, 08:08 AM
Mine gets the z-line

Platzhalter
August 28th, 2016, 08:39 PM
Length definitely made my hair straighter, even though it's still far from as pin-straight as I want it to be.

yahirwaO.o
August 29th, 2016, 12:17 AM
Length a lot straighter, actually I want that super sleek smooth looking hair back! ;)

OhSuzi
November 1st, 2016, 10:42 AM
Short n straight, then wavy , it gets curlier the longer it gets up to shoulder length where it becomes ringlets - but then I imagine when it starts to get really long the weight will pull the top part of the curl flat - but I wouldn't know, never got to that stage yet!

animetor7
November 1st, 2016, 01:16 PM
Mine is pretty stick straight to begin with, 1a/1b here, so there isn't really a discernible change. The only reason my hair seems wavier when it's down (rarely) now is if I've had it in braids or a tighter bun which might give some wave at the ends. Other than that, my hair at almost BCL is much as it was at chin length years ago. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
November 1st, 2016, 01:26 PM
Mine is becoming straighter as it gets longer.

LaísB
November 1st, 2016, 01:31 PM
A year ago, when I decided to grow my hair for the first time I went trought both, first fro CBL to APL I noticed it got way curlier, and I couldn't notice any new lenght when unstreched, only more volume. Then after APL and all the way to BSL-almost mid back it got a bit straighter and I could actually notice the growth and not just the volume in my hair (I belive it was because the longer my hair is the heavier it gets so that helps keep the crazy volume away). Now I am back to the beggining, at CBL again and I don't know if it remain the same, for now it is curlier and voluminous but maybe after I reach APL and half way trought to BSL it will show be more of a wave than a curl, but then my hair can just become more curly now than it was before, since I take care of it differently now, with way more care.

MegHan-Solo
December 8th, 2016, 02:31 AM
Mine gets straighter which makes me sad, I want long curly voluminous wild hair.

Crystawni
December 8th, 2016, 05:18 AM
No change, although it takes a teeny bit of length for my waves and ringlets to get their curve on. :lol:

hanne jensen
December 8th, 2016, 12:02 PM
My hair went from a 2a to stick straight when I hit BSL.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 8th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Length makes my hair curl more/ I know this because I get a lot of shrinkage.

lithostoic
December 9th, 2016, 06:19 AM
It used to make it straighter but now it doesn't. Wish I could change my answer. My waves stay pretty much intact at BSL+ when a few years ago my hair was 1a at that length.

spirals
December 9th, 2016, 08:45 PM
The longer mine gets the more spirally it gets. That's typical of 3a.

Margrit
September 20th, 2018, 05:57 AM
I voted: Got straighter

TatsuOni
September 20th, 2018, 08:20 AM
It used to be 1b and now it wearies between 1a and 1b, so I can't really say that it's changed.

lillii
September 22nd, 2018, 11:11 AM
The longer my hair gets, the looser my curl pattern. Started at shoulder-length when straightened (so very short curly,) and I was a 3c, extremely close to 4a. Now, I'm just above waist length when stretched (BSL when curly,) and my hair is much more s curl than coils so between 3b and 3c.

TarsusIV
September 22nd, 2018, 12:52 PM
Last time I had long hair, it was thicker and the weight of it all stretched out any curls I had. My hair has thinned a little (actually in a good way, I think?) and now I keep most of my curl as it grows, though it's definitely straighter than it was when it was above shoulder length.

Silvike
September 27th, 2018, 09:19 AM
As my hair grows, it gets straighter and straighter... I would accept it if it was thick and heavy, but it's lightweight. :rolleyes:

Konfitura
September 30th, 2018, 04:52 AM
Mine gets straighter which makes me sad, I want long curly voluminous wild hair.

Mine too, and I'd like to have big lion hair :<

EmeraldSkies
September 30th, 2018, 05:38 AM
Oops i accidentally choose the wrong option. My hair actually gets straighter as it grows longer.

Hairkay
October 1st, 2018, 11:04 AM
I have been noticing that some of what was my 3c hair is more like 3b. It's more than the odd strand too. I don't know if it's to do with having longer hair or maybe the henna glosses I do are starting to cause this. I love my tight curls and I enjoy doing henna glosses for the strengthening benefits.

lapushka
October 1st, 2018, 12:10 PM
Hmm. It depends on what styler I use. :o It honestly does. I used Cantu this week, and even though it is "just" a leave-in, it does a good job at defining my texture. And also week to week, depending on the rinse-out conditioners/masks, sometimes it all comes together nicely and other times it is just so-so.

kylo
October 1st, 2018, 02:15 PM
The longer the hair, the straighter it becomes for me and if I cut it shorter it gets a bit curly again. :)

Yoiko
October 7th, 2018, 05:08 AM
Both lol. The last 1/3 ist curlier, the first 1/3 straight.

Natalia_A00
October 7th, 2018, 05:12 PM
I don't know why my hair is so straight right now
I used to get some waves in my hair when it was shorter... I think it's the conditioners, but I'm not going to stop using them. They are great detanglers and they make my hair look soft and shiny

Salwety
October 9th, 2018, 02:50 AM
I have 3b/c hair. I deal with more than 50% of shrikage. I wished that by the time my hair reach BSL or WL that the length of my hair will weigh it down, allowing some length to show off. But nooooooo, I am past WL with 4 cm and still dealing withe the same shrinkage. It is just APL when fully dry.

nycelle
October 9th, 2018, 07:10 AM
Wavier. Up to shoulder length, it's 1b/1c. Past shoulder length the ends start to wave. But I can't really say for certain as changing products has also encouraged my waves..

Hexen
October 10th, 2018, 03:01 AM
Definitely straighter. Matter of fact when I had first started to grow out mah hair, there were these places on both sides of my face that seemed to just go wavy and awry no matter what. I hated it because it just seemed to "mess up" the overall appearance that I was going for. Strangely enough though, I never understood the reason why my hairdresser at the time always seemed to tell me that many women would actually desire such a characteristic. And to be quite honest with you...im still not entirely sure why he said that. But this was quite awhile ago when certain hairstyles and techniques were no doubt still a residual expectation and retro habit in peoples minds.

Makyle
October 10th, 2018, 08:59 AM
My hair has very gentle waves when long, I think as I have thick hair the length ways it down , I still have volume but the waves are incredibly gentle.

JennyLue
October 13th, 2018, 10:53 PM

My my hair was pretty curly until I got to waist length. Then it started to be wavy and now there are hardly any actual ringlets

https://preview.ibb.co/dqBjZU/40-DA7249-E1-BD-431-C-BDE6-E86-B2-E654131.jpg (https://ibb.co/kA0duU)

GoatLady
December 26th, 2022, 09:24 AM
Oddly enough, it looks wavier when it's longer.