PDA

View Full Version : Winter Hair Color Blues -Need A Change

UltraBella
January 19th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I am so bored with my hair :(
There is nothing wrong with it and yet I always get this itch to change it. Am I the only one ? Is it this terrible winter weather ? It seems like the urge is greater when winter hits and I am more confined.
I made a hair appointment Feb 9th with my regular gal. Trim the length, add more layers, and do something color wise. Any suggestions ? I know what I am NOT doing : I am not cutting my bangs again ! They are driving me crazy and I will continue to let them grow out. I am not doing all over color. I have no desire to fight the line of demarcation between dark ash blonde and red again. So, that leaves me options of highlights or lowlights, or a combo. What do you think ?

I am going to post a picture that many of you have already seen before, but for those of you who have not, it is the most accurate photo of my haircolor that I have.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/21fb0115.jpg

Any and all suggestions are appreciated ! Thanks in advance !!

HintOfMint
January 19th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I belong to the school of thought that says if you can do blonde well, do blonde, with the exception of all-over red (natural blondes tend to be fantastic redheads, from my limited observation). Since you're not aiming for all over color, I'd go for blonde highlights.

I've never been a fan of lowlights. I always thought it doesn't do anything for the hair or face and if you're going darker you might as well do an all over color.

spidermom
January 19th, 2012, 01:04 PM
I think I'd go with something temporary. Your hair color is quite lovely.

MonaLisa
January 19th, 2012, 01:06 PM
But you seemed happy about your natural color ?
Well, if you have to.... definitely something gentle and not too different. Keep it looking natural.. I really like it.

Amber_Maiden
January 19th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Did you make a post a little while ago about finally having your natural hair colour back?! I remember you being pretty happy...

pepperminttea
January 19th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I think I'd go with something temporary. Your hair color is quite lovely.

This. UB, you're blessed with a gorgeous natural colour, that you've just managed to get back. Don't let cabin fever ruin all your hard work permanently. :flower:

PrairieRose
January 19th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I think your natural color looks great! Maybe after a trim you will feel better and won't need to color:)

PriscillaCherel
January 19th, 2012, 01:56 PM
No highlights, but some lowlights, to get more deep in the colour, not to dark! I think that would be great.. and really you wash them out in no time.. When spring/summer hits, you almost not seeing the lowlights anymore.
Lowlights are the best option to let your hair grow out.. Then you don't see a lot colour difference. Thats what I see in your picture :) I think thats the best option if you want a little bit of a fine change!

akilina
January 19th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I understand your pain. I have color oops on my head right now trying to get my henna out so I can get it close to my natural and grow it out for once. I have to go to work tomorrow though and I am a hair dresser (too) so I can't have ugly hair. I'm sort of nervous.
I think that low lights would look great on you and it would give it a lil dimension. :)

UltraBella
January 19th, 2012, 02:10 PM
But you seemed happy about your natural color ?
Well, if you have to.... definitely something gentle and not too different. Keep it looking natural.. I really like it.

Did you make a post a little while ago about finally having your natural hair colour back?! I remember you being pretty happy...

Yes, I am tickled that all the copper red has finally faded out. You really can't get a worse combination that copper red lengths and dark ash blonde roots, in my opinion, and the maintenance is constant. But I have made it very clear in past threads that I have no intention of having virgin hair and that I do not desire to have an entire head of ashy color without some other complimentary tones in there to keep it from being dull. While I am happy to be free of constant maintenance, my natural color has never really floated my boat. Highlights are a good option because if they are done well and very blended, they can either be touched up or left alone, the upkeep is not necessary. Lowlights are a good option because I can use a Demi-color and it will slowly fade out, just like my copper red did. Blonde hair with light brown lowlights is one of my favorite looks.

Aimskylove
January 19th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Whatever you do I cant wait to see! I have the same problem. My natural color is a light/medium ash brown that easily lightens in the sun. I hate it. So I dye my hair pitch black. I hate the color with my skin color. Good luck with what ever you choose :) In my opinion I think either highlights or lowlights would look good on you.

Aimskylove
January 19th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Whatever you do I cant wait to see! I have the same problem. My natural color is a light/medium ash brown that easily lightens in the sun. I hate it. So I dye my hair pitch black. I hate the color with my skin color. Good luck with what ever you choose :) In my opinion I think either highlights or lowlights would look good on you.

turtlelover
January 19th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I'd go with some red-toned demi lowlights. If you are bored w/ that later, they will have faded and you can go blonder for summer.

UltraBella
January 19th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I do like how easy it is to get rid of lowlights, they fade nicely. I think the blonder I go, the more washed out I look, but I like a bit of them to brighten things up.
Mayb I should do both !!
:eyebrows:

Some thinly woven light brown lowlights and a few super thin highlights around the face might be a great combo.
I think that's one of the reasons I am so happy to be back to my natural color, I have all these options. I was locked into the copper red color for 7 years, I just couldn't stand the roots/grow out issues to ever get past the uncomfortable stages. Now I can have fun and experiment. Don't get me wrong, I loved the copper red and if they invent a pill tomorrow that will make me a natural redhead, I will be the first in line ! Until then, I have to figure out a way to enjoy what I've got and that means slapping a few foils on my head !

Calaelen
January 19th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I think some nice lowlights would be a better choice, especially for winter. I tend to like going darker in winter, lighter for summer, as hair naturally does through sun bleaching. Also, I think darker might just suit you better with your colouring. It does seem the lighter colour washes you out. I am not such a huge fan of doing both at the same time, because it is just way to obvious that the hair was "done", of course if that's the desired result, no problem, I just don't like it personally.

I am in the same hair funk as you, and tried for purple which was a total fail...:(

I am trying again next month using Pravana Vivids, and hope to get a very vivid result. LOL "I don't like an obviously 'done' look". says the girl trying for purple.

cheetahfast
January 19th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I do like how easy it is to get rid of lowlights, they fade nicely. I think the blonder I go, the more washed out I look, but I like a bit of them to brighten things up.
Mayb I should do both !!
:eyebrows:

Some thinly woven light brown lowlights and a few super thin highlights around the face might be a great combo.
I think that's one of the reasons I am so happy to be back to my natural color, I have all these options. I was locked into the copper red color for 7 years, I just couldn't stand the roots/grow out issues to ever get past the uncomfortable stages. Now I can have fun and experiment. Don't get me wrong, I loved the copper red and if they invent a pill tomorrow that will make me a natural redhead, I will be the first in line ! Until then, I have to figure out a way to enjoy what I've got and that means slapping a few foils on my head !

I think you should go for it!!! I'm back to my natural color and plan on lightening some of the face framing parts. I think if you go for subtle growing it out will not be a hassle.

jacqueline101
January 19th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Do what I did get a bling strand. Added color and no dyes.

dwell_in_safety
January 19th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I think some subtle lowlights would be lovely.

spike316
January 19th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I vote for lowlights! I love that look. ^_^ You would look gorgeous with highlights as well, but I vote for lowlights. ^_^

luluj
January 19th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Blonde hair with light brown lowlights is one of my favorite looks.
I think you have your answer!;)

torrilin
January 19th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Your natural color is a brighter version of mine. I always tend to get pissed off at it for being too many different colors in winter!

If I dye it for winter, it is a dark ash brown so I can do an austere ice princess look all winter.

UltraBella
January 19th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Well, I have plenty of time to contemplate it...... My appointment is so far away :(

At this very moment, I am considering a combo, or just the lowlights. I fear winter skin and highlighs will just wash me out too much.

By the way, it's really gosh darn cold here and I am not enjoying it. I really do think it's part of the reason I want to change my hair a bit. There is nothing else for me to do !

|Xei
January 20th, 2012, 01:03 AM

I like this idea a lot! You should definitely go for both highlights and lowlights. I think it'll really suit you.

I fear winter skin and highlighs will just wash me out too much.

Judging from your picture, for the highlights, I would go with a colour one level lighter than your natural hair colour, and neutral or slightly warm-toned. It's subtle, so it won't wash you out, but enough of a change to give your hair some new dimension, and brighten things up around your face (I hope this makes sense). :)

sfgirl
January 20th, 2012, 03:11 AM
I feel your pain about not liking your ashy blonde. Eve though highlights can be damaging, they may be your best option. I can really brighten up your look, and your face. Personally, (and I don't mean to offend), I think us semi blondes look ten times better than brunettes with blonde highlights, because they blend in well with ashy blonde, and people end up thinking your color is natural, or at least "sunkissed", or something. Good luck!

BlondieHepburn
January 20th, 2012, 07:51 AM
UltraBella, I think your hair is so gloriously beautiful as it is! But I'm sure that whatever you decide to do with it will also be lovely.

When I get that awful urge to cut or dye, I just learn a new braid or style. Then again, one day I won't be able to resist anymore, and I'll wake up with turquoise hair. :p

HuggyBear
January 20th, 2012, 09:43 AM
UB, your hair always looks lovely no matter what color it is but I understand about your winter hair woes. I have the winter hair blahs, too. My dark blonde hair seems to get darker in the winter and I hate the way it looks. I don't do dyes anymore (due to the Great Green Hair Disaster of '96) so I turn to honey lightening. It seems to brighten and perk my color up enough to get me through the winter. :)

cooklaezo13
January 20th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Ultrabella, I think your hair looks perfect as it is! I'm sorry that you are bored with it.

gibsongirl71
January 20th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I love your natural color, but personally if I was able to go blonder I certainly would. As a very dark brunette it is not an option. I envy you ashy blond gals who can lighten up and look sun kissed and fab. The few times I have had highlights they just look orange to me. The hairdresser may call them caramel :nono:, but I call them orange.

sarelis
January 20th, 2012, 10:07 AM
UltraBella you have such beautiful hair! I have a total hair crush on you!! :crush:

Crysania
January 20th, 2012, 10:16 AM
you could try elumen in chocolate brown colour, they have temporary color, when you dont use the ''lock''