PDA

View Full Version : I don't get pre-wash conditioning oil treatments!

Kapri
January 19th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I have just discovered the joys and simplicity of mineral oil but had a sample of Ojon oil restorative hair treament, and was tempted. I put in on sparingly (Ktani take note! I have learned my lesson) and carefully washed it out. It required three washes to remove. I then applied conditioner to my, by now, tangly slightly dry hair!! Does anyone else find that the effort to remove a heavy duty treatment is more damaging than simply conditioning??

Oh yes ..I pre-clarified in order to benefit from the treatment. So that is 4 drying hair washes in order then to moisturise my hair!!

pepperminttea
January 19th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Did you try a CO wash to get the oil treatment out? It gets out heavy EVOO oilings for me better than shampoo. :)

spidermom
January 19th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Agreed. Conditioner seems to emulsify oil and remove it better than shampoo. I heavily oil my length before washing, then do the CWC method, and end up with clean, shiny hair. Sometimes my hair still feels oily while it's wet, but by the time it has dried, it's not oily. So if you're going by the way your hair feels while wet, try letting it dry.

Trish in SC
January 19th, 2012, 10:54 AM
What were the ingredients of the Ojan product?

I've never used that particular leave-in, but I've never had problems washing out overnight oilings (coconut or olive).

ktani
January 19th, 2012, 11:03 AM
I have just discovered the joys and simplicity of mineral oil but had a sample of Ojon oil restorative hair treament, and was tempted. I put in on sparingly (Ktani take note! I have learned my lesson) and carefully washed it out. It required three washes to remove. I then applied conditioner to my, by now, tangly slightly dry hair!! Does anyone else find that the effort to remove a heavy duty treatment is more damaging than simply conditioning??

Oh yes ..I pre-clarified in order to benefit from the treatment. So that is 4 drying hair washes in order then to moisturise my hair!!

Sorry to hear about this causing you grief. Conditoiner washes often can remove oil better than shampoo. It is not only oil though. The extracts and lecithin may have contributed to the difficulty to remove it ETA: with shampoo.

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=70650/Restorative_Hair_Treatment__/Ojon/Treatments
"Elaeis Oleifera (Palm) Oil, Prunus Africana Bark Extract, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract, Lecithin, Citronellol, Linalool, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, Parfum (Fragrance)"

Kapri
January 19th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Ladies! Thank you! I had not appreciated that it was possible to take the CWC or CO approach ..like to emulsify like! Ha!

Here are the details and directions which i did not follow. I used very little but left on overnight and then three washed to avoid a stringy mess (I have noted your advice ..many thanks!):

Ingredients
Elaeis Oleifera (American Palm Oil), Perfume (Fragrance), Citronellol, Lecithin, Linalool, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C), Citric Acid, Prunus Africana (Prunus Africana Bark Extract), Serenoa Serrulata (Serenoa Serrulata Extract)

Directions
Ritual: Apply to dry hair for best results. Scoop Ojon™ Restorative Hair Treatment into the palm of your hand (equivalent to half a teaspoon). Warm Ojon ™ by rubbing it between your hands until it becomes an oil. Distribute evenly from the scalp to the hair ends using a comb. Repeat until hair is fully saturated. Leave for 10 to 20 minutes or longer. Shampoo and thoroughly rinse. Use weekly or as needed. For added shine and conditioning, dab and emulsify a very small amount of Ojon

BlondieHepburn
January 19th, 2012, 11:17 AM
It is not only oil though. The extracts and lecithin may have contributed to the difficulty to remove it ETA: with shampoo.

I agree with Ktani; the other ingredients could have made a difference in the ease of washing the oil out.

I often feel that it is better to stick with one- or two-ingredient products, plain and simple, than to use the products with so many ingredients that you'll never be able to pin down how each one reacts in your hair.

Coconut or almond oil are still the two best in my book.

Roscata
January 19th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I agree with pepperminttea and spidermom Conditioner Only washes work very well when it comes to removing oils. It took me a minute to figure out exactly how to use them for this task, but they do work wonderfully. I will post the instructions I use after I tell you that coconut oil is a WAY better pre-wash deep conditioning treatment. Not only is it proven to penetrate your hair shaft (unlike other oils) but it prevents protein loss and mechanical damage while washing. More information on that here:
Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage (http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf) and The uses of coconut oil (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53786&highlight=coconut+oil).

Conditioner only method to remove oils:

- use a light conditioner (preferably something that says “clarifying”), something runny, not thick.
- try using a conditioner without protein or silicone or anything that can build up
- if you’re experiencing issues you can also add water like 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 or more to dilute it further
- I recommend: V05 (kiwi), Suave (naturals - juicy apple), White Rain (apple, coconut)
- apply conditioner on dry hair, make sure it is slathered on well, use as much as it takes to truly cover all your hair
- leave it on for 15 minutes to one hour under a shower cap or grocery bag
- wet your hair and then massage your scalp and length well
- rinse it out properly, this might take a few minutes
- you may follow this up (I usually do) with a heavy conditioner on the length, use this as you would normally use a conditioner, you can leave it on for 3 minutes then rinse as usual
- I recommend these heavy conditioners: Suave naturals Ocean breeze & V05 moisture milk conditioner, strawberries and cream

Good luck! :D

Kapri
January 19th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Sorry to hear about this causing you grief. Conditoiner washes often can remove oil better than shampoo. It is not only oil though. The extracts and lecithin may have contributed to the difficulty to remove it ETA: with shampoo.

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=70650/Restorative_Hair_Treatment__/Ojon/Treatments
"Elaeis Oleifera (Palm) Oil, Prunus Africana Bark Extract, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract, Lecithin, Citronellol, Linalool, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, Parfum (Fragrance)"

Ktani,

I posted at the same time as you! Thank you for this. Are you saying that the additional ingredients are simply difficult to wash out whatever method you use?

Many thanks as ever!!

Kapri
January 19th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I agree with pepperminttea and spidermom Conditioner Only washes work very well when it comes to removing oils. It took me a minute to figure out exactly how to use them for this task, but they do work wonderfully. I will post the instructions I use after I tell you that coconut oil is a WAY better pre-wash deep conditioning treatment. Not only is it proven to penetrate your hair shaft (unlike other oils) but it prevents protein loss and mechanical damage while washing. More information on that here:
Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage (http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf) and The uses of coconut oil (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53786&highlight=coconut+oil).

Conditioner only method to remove oils:

- use a light conditioner (preferably something that says “clarifying”), something runny, not thick.
- try using a conditioner without protein or silicone or anything that can build up
- if you’re experiencing issues you can also add water like 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 or more to dilute it further
- I recommend: V05 (kiwi), Suave (naturals - juicy apple), White Rain (apple, coconut)
- apply conditioner on dry hair, make sure it is slathered on well, use as much as it takes to truly cover all your hair
- leave it on for 15 minutes to one hour under a shower cap or grocery bag
- wet your hair and then massage your scalp and length well
- rinse it out properly, this might take a few minutes
- you may follow this up (I usually do) with a heavy conditioner on the length, use this as you would normally use a conditioner, you can leave it on for 3 minutes then rinse as usual
- I recommend these heavy conditioners: Suave naturals Ocean breeze & V05 moisture milk conditioner, strawberries and cream

Good luck! :D

Roscata, You're very sweet to post in this detail. Thank you so much. I will use this method with co in future. I have used CO in the past and had bad build-up! I think that the Ojon Oil may be extra problematic if that is what Ktani is saying ..due to other ingredients. So all this is super helpful for me. I feel like I am beginning to understand the mechanics of deep conditioning far better!!:poot:

Kapri
January 19th, 2012, 11:35 AM
I agree with Ktani; the other ingredients could have made a difference in the ease of washing the oil out.

I often feel that it is better to stick with one- or two-ingredient products, plain and simple, than to use the products with so many ingredients that you'll never be able to pin down how each one reacts in your hair.

Coconut or almond oil are still the two best in my book.

This makes sense to me. Thank you BlondieHepburn ..(great name!). I may have been foiled by the elaborate ingredients list!! Fortunately it is only a sample....