PDA

View Full Version : Which of these styles, if either, might be more protective?

shikara
January 19th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Well, perhaps these two styles dont differ much in potential damage, but Im hoping to get your opinions. A carefully done updo which goes together well but uses eight bobby pins (inserted and removed woth TLC) or a carefully tied braid down the back but rubs against hair friendly clothes all day (ends tend to escape during day).

Madora
January 19th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Braids wins for me.

lapushka
January 19th, 2012, 10:36 AM
I don't know if there would be much damage in either styles, but I still tend to prefer the braid for a protective style.

Vallena
January 19th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I would vote for the braid as well. Even with a lot of care, bobby pins still cause a lot of damage for me.

EtherealDoll
January 19th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Braid seems like a more protective style.

spidermom
January 19th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Contrary-wise, I'm going to vote for the updo.

Amber_Maiden
January 19th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I'd vote for the braid- less damage from pins.

QMacrocarpa
January 19th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I hardly ever use bobby pins myself (just don't find them very useful with my hair), and I only wear a braid that isn't pinned up somehow once a week or so (except when I'm asleep), but if they work for you, I'd say why not do both? Variety is good! :)

pepperminttea
January 19th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Depends what you're doing. Normally I'd go for the braid, but if you'd be driving a lot that day, the braid would get stuck between you and the car seat. :shrug:

Of the Fae
January 19th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Personally I like braid updo's, because they hold better and you can just stick a pin into a thicker, braided piece of hair instead of vulnerable ends of strands. I have the idea that is quite protective. If I had to chose between the two I'd go for the updo as well, because it keeps the ends from receiving damage from all kinds of abrasive surfaces.

lunalocks
January 19th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I have had so much breakage in the past from elastics and scrunchies, I'd go with the updo. (I use spin pins which work very well). However, variety is good as the tension on the hair will be moved around.

lacefrost
January 19th, 2012, 09:32 PM
I say updo. In the braid, your hair is catching on everything and being rubbed threadbare. Plus there's damage is putting in the elastic. In the updo, yes you stick in bobby pins but it's not like they're moving around. The little damage that's caused by putting them in is the only damage. After that, there's no damage to your hair.

Elph
January 19th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Rather then bobby pins I would suggest upins or amish pins. From my esperience there is never that pull or rip feeling.

But I would never do the same style everyday. At the moment because of my length I alternate between tying a braid/plat at the end and a higher pony pinned up (I am finding it hard to do an updo without a hairtie first at the moment) to protect.

Eirelin
January 19th, 2012, 10:17 PM
I actually do a combo, I guess, with some kind of braid (usually twin Dutch or plain Dutch) that then gets wrapped around into a coil on the back and held in with (usually) either 1 or 2 bobby pins and 2 hairpins or 2 small spin pins. I am very careful with the bobby pins and remove them the same way I put them in, opening before sliding them out, so no hair ever gets pulled.

Updos are nice and quick, but the small braids are better at keeping the layered ends in and protected, and I never leave the braid just hanging down my back when I have to sit in the car or something like that. It is either coiled up, tucked, or clipped up, and then I can let it back down quickly when I get out the car (or whatever).

shikara
January 19th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Rather then bobby pins I would suggest upins or amish pins. From my esperience there is never that pull or rip feeling.

But I would never do the same style everyday. At the moment because of my length I alternate between tying a braid/plat at the end and a higher pony pinned up (I am finding it hard to do an updo without a hairtie first at the moment) to protect.

I dont like to use amish or upins. Whether its my hairs lack of thickness, ior its texture, or the distribution of it on my scalp, I dont know but if my some miracle i do get them to keep a bun up, there is always at least one poking my head uncomfortably, and rearranging them is a nuisance with rare success. My bobby pins styles are so comfortable Im still excitedly surprised every time I put it up, anx Ive been doing it for a while now. Its so freeing to find something that works after a long struggle in this regard:cheese:

katsrevenge
January 20th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Would you be willing to try something like this?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8162&pictureid=123828

Those are itty bitty claw clips. Yes.. they are neon because I am a magpie... but they come in browns and torti and black too. (Around twenty or so for a buck at the dollar store.) Three will very comfortably hold a regular braid wrapped into a bun shape up. 4 or 5 will hold a cinnabun type thing. I have five in this attempt at a Dutch Fluttery-thing. They hold as well as bobbies but without the damage. I generally tuck them under hair to hide them..but not always.. hence the neon..

Mannaz
January 20th, 2012, 05:48 AM
I vote for the up-do. I'm sporting four braids pinned around my head with maybe seven bobby pins holding everything in place, an I feel like this is a more protective up-do than braids regardless of the bobby pins because my hair doesn't move around and get tangled and stuck in everything.

Those little claw clips would be good too, thanks for the reminder katsrevenge!

jacqueline101
January 20th, 2012, 07:39 AM
I vote for the braids.

OhioLisa
January 20th, 2012, 07:42 AM
I avoid anything using bobby pins, so I would have to go for the braid.

Manny1826
January 20th, 2012, 07:44 AM
I actually think that doing different hairstyles (with as minimal elastics/pins/sticks as possible) is the most important thing... for instance, wearing a braid one day and then a bun the next, etc.. I think the change is different so that the scalp is not getting the pressure from teh hair do in the same spot all of the time. I had a friend in high school who always wore a bun the same way... and she actually had a bald spot at hte place where the hair stick always went by the time she went away to college. So i think just different buns, different braids, to distribute the pressure on the scalp is good- my friend literally wore her hair the same way all the time for a few years, so this is obviously an extreme example, but oen that actually happened.

einna
January 20th, 2012, 08:15 AM
I will also say that a variation of the styles (and maybe a few more) would be least damaging!

shikara
January 20th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I would like to try the mini clips but they look like something my hair would really get tangled up in. Also my dos stay up better and without tugging due to the grasp of the bobby pin. A braid down the back for me almost always has unfixable areas tugginh. nI am afraid THAT if anything might cause a balding patch in the future! With the bobby oin updo, surprisingly, I dont feel a thing!

katsrevenge
January 21st, 2012, 01:46 AM
It sounds like you already had your mind made up? LOL

Anyways, my hair is finer then yours and it tangles only in those claw clips I 'hide' under the buns.. I don't generally have to do that. Bobbies snag and snarl for me much worse then that even then.

Braids do that tugging bit for me too.. but I just either re-do or ease the pull out. It also got less frequent with practice.

I will say that the size up from the mini claws doesn't snag up at all... but I rarely use them as I seem to only have one of's left.