PDA

View Full Version : Getting past a point of 'no growth'?

misspixie
January 18th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Hello! I am quite new to this website, so excuse me if I seem a little slow. ^.^

My hair is almost to the end of my ribs and I feel like this is where my hair always ends. I get it to this length and then it is time for a trim or the ends start looking a little frayed. I'd LOVE to have hip length hair.

Do any of you have tips for stretching out hair appointments without jeopardizing the health of your hair?

Thank you!

NativeGirl
January 18th, 2012, 11:38 PM
If your ends get too bad, you can always do a microtrim or dusting. The best advice I can give is to baby your hair, especially the ends. If you can - and if you like to, try to keep your hair up.

misspixie
January 18th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Alrighty, thank you so much! I have so much to learn whenever it comes to taking care of my hair and getting it to the length I want.

Mommyof4
January 19th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Do you take any vitamins? Taking some may help your hair growth and overall health :)

I take MSM, Silica, Biotin, and Flaxseed oil to name a few :)

The first 3 are usually in Hair, Skin and Nails vitamins...

I like the Rejuvicare vitamins.. They are endorsed by the Kardashians lol.. but they work for me :D

Also, you could try scalp massages with olive or coconut oil.. also try not trimming for as long as possible (unless your hair is breaking worse because of damage and trimming is truly mandatory) and applying NO heat to your hair... this helps alot with breakage and split ends

Happy Growing :D

sfgirl
January 19th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Just wearing your hair up as much as possible can work wonders. :)

MonaLisa
January 19th, 2012, 01:13 AM
I've had exact same problem, just at hip length. Whenever I'd reach that length, longest length it's been on me...I feel like its natural to trim it. Done it like that for years...always MBL, WL, hip...never longer.
I think you just need to get past that point mentally.
You can set up a more tolerant trimming schedule and stick to it. Like trim 3 times per year, and determine which months it's going to be.
Trim less.
Go by moon phases, it often postpones trims for me.
2 weeks rule..
Keep your hair up and out of the sight when you get the urge...

And Avital88 was my savior :D regarding less trims!

piffyanne
January 19th, 2012, 01:25 AM
83673. I was stuck at BSL for years. I attribute this to my recent growth. It's worth a try, right?

kitten1986
January 19th, 2012, 03:33 AM
OH gosh I have been stuck at BSL for the last few month I feel like its not growing at all :S I will try your suggestion :D

jojo
January 19th, 2012, 06:37 AM
sometimes those ends can be caused bu build up, so if you havent already clarify and see if it makes any dofference. If your still frustrated try and get some moisture into those ends, i use baby oil and it has saved my ends from the scissors, if after trying all these then yes a trim is in order but you only need to take the teeniest amount to see a huge difference!

I am trying just twice trimmings this year.

lunalocks
January 19th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I was stuck at BSL for YEARS thinking that was my terminal. I am a trimmer, always have been and just thought I had to trim off what I grew in order to have healthy hair.

In the past 2 years, I have (accidently) grown to past waist. Here are the changes I made in the past 2 years. Which one did it? I don't know, but this is my formula and I am sticking to it, as well as adding serious S and D missions and wearing my hair up more, to see just how long it CAN grow.

I trim off 1/4 inch every 2 to 3 months.

I no longer wear a pony. (I discovered serious breakage from the scrunchie from repeatedly tightening it during the day and also wearing a pony during exercise).

With a braid, I change where I put the scrunchie so that it is always in a different place. For exercise I often make a side braid instead of a back braid.

I started B vitamins (includes biotin) as well as a good MVI, vit D and iron (my iron and D were dignosed as low 2 years ago)

I began vigorous exercise that I love, (NIA!!!!) 3x per week. Is it the exercise that increases blood flow? Increased metabolism so hair grows faster? A sweaty head that provides moisturizing to my hair? Just don't know.

I changed my diet to include more green vegies and even make a green smoothie every morning with nut butter and greens and citrus.

I decreased my coffee intake and drink more tea.

I drink a ton more water, mostly due to the increased exercise.

Good luck, and report back!

Amber_Maiden
January 19th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I'm with you- I feel like my hair hasn't grown at all in a while... I now refuse to take back pics of my hair or look in the mirror at it- it just looks short, possibly shorter, than it used to be... :(
I'm going to start wearing my hair up more to baby the ends. I think this will make a difference with my hair.

spidermom
January 19th, 2012, 10:50 AM
All the good advice has been given, so I'll just commisserate. I can't seem to break the tailbone barrier. After this length, my ends get dried out and split all to pieces.

Of the Fae
January 19th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I have this with my partly-APL hair.. it's about as long as it has ever been and the ends look scraggly and rough. I'm now putting it up most of the time and using EVOO to keep the ends from breaking and tangling. I have yet to see any improvement, but same as you I am trying to prevent having to trim.. it would put me all the way above APL again :(

jeanniet
January 19th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Good diet is #1. Eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies, get enough protein but don't over do it. Diet is much better than taking vitamins because food (especially those fruits and veggies) has so much more in it that pills just can't duplicate. If you eat the recommended five servings of fruits and vegetables a day along with other nutritious food, I guarantee that you will be getting all the vitamins you need. Plus your risk of colon cancer will be much less. :D It's really not that hard if you put a little effort into it. I have a fruit smoothie or fruit for breakfast (2 servings), sometimes fruit for lunch, and then veggies for dinner (with pasta or quinoa, tofu, beans, etc.) and sometimes a salad too. If you do want to take vitamins, make sure you have a blood panel done first so you can determine if you really do need them.

If your ends are still looking dry/ratty after you've tried clarifying and oiling, you can do a small dusting (1/8-1/4") monthly and still get growth if you're patient--hair grows 1/2" a month, so trimming 1/4" will still give you 2" growth in eight months. That may not seem like much, but it's 2" longer than you have now, right? :)

misspixie
January 19th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Just recently I started to dwell into taking great care of my hair, but I still have barely scratched the surface. I take a multivitamin everyday which contains folic acids and biotin and I also take 1,000 MCG's of biotin daily. And just about a month ago I've gotten into using coconut oil/olive oil on my hair.

Also, I've dramatically cut out using heat on my hair. For years I used heat daily on my hair and *cringes* didn't use heat protectant on it.

I just want long and healthy hair! :rolleyes:

Avital88
January 19th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I've had exact same problem, just at hip length. Whenever I'd reach that length, longest length it's been on me...I feel like its natural to trim it. Done it like that for years...always MBL, WL, hip...never longer.
I think you just need to get past that point mentally.
You can set up a more tolerant trimming schedule and stick to it. Like trim 3 times per year, and determine which months it's going to be.
Trim less.
Go by moon phases, it often postpones trims for me.
2 weeks rule..
Keep your hair up and out of the sight when you get the urge...

And Avital88 was my savior :D regarding less trims!

Ahh so sweet:) Thank you honey..
And yes i couldnt have mentioned it better myself,follow this and notice the difference..

xovictoryxo
January 19th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I have this same problem at waist and have been stuck here for 2 years! Ugh! Ill be watching this thread!
I baby my hair and oiling and wearing up and rarely use heat and i henna treat it and deep condition it- but alas- the ends of my hair are CRISPY split ends. I trim once a year. but, its usually 2 inches off because how horrible the ends are.

jacqueline101
January 19th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Vitamins for nails hair and skin mane n tail shampoo and condish oils monistat and wide tooth comb are your best friends. I wash once a week and detangle monistat and oil daily. Baby the ends and wear it up.

PixxieStix
January 19th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Stretch your washes.
Spend the time to learn how to detangle your hair correctly, and do it every day.
Cut back on heat.
Do small trims or dustings as necessary, as well as S&D for split ends.
Shampoo only your scalp, condition from ears down.
Do weekly deep conditioning/oil treatments, or every other week.
See what oils/products your hair likes, and use those.
Do cold water rinses after you wash your hair.
Wear it up to protect the ends, and remember to love it, even when it's having a bad day.:)
Scalp massages.