PDA

View Full Version : How much hair in relation to hair fork prongs?

Amber_Maiden
January 18th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I have my eyes on some really nice wood hair forks- I figure I need them with keeping my buns together. I'm wondering if I should get a 3 pronged hair stick or a 4 pronged fork? I have very thick hair which is a bit past waist (Goal length is classic, so I want something I can keep using). Which would do you think would work better?

Thank you in advance!:)

Phalaenopsis
January 18th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Both will be fine :) A 3 prong fork holds very well and a 4 prong fork probably even better. Both the conclusion is they both hold very well :) And a 4 prong fork can be a bit wide and isn't always compatible with certain kind of buns, the same holds through for the 3 prong fork though

My suggestion, take whichever you find the prettiest! Lol. They will both hold fine.

eta: a more important question to ask yourself is which you length you need actually, not how many prongs :)

Kyla
January 18th, 2012, 04:44 PM
A three pronged stick would still be a fork.

I don't have classic length hair, only hip, but I'm fairly sure it's the length of the hair toy that matters. It sounds like both toys would work, but because you want classic and I believe you've mentioned you have very thick hair before, you might want to go with four prongs to be safe. :)

Amber_Maiden
January 18th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Both will be fine :) A 3 prong fork holds very well and a 4 prong fork probably even better. Both the conclusion is they both hold very well :) And a 4 prong fork can be a bit wide and isn't always compatible with certain kind of buns, the same holds through for the 3 prong fork though

My suggestion, take whichever you find the prettiest! Lol. They will both hold fine.

Thank you!! I think the 3 prong ones look the best!:D

Amber_Maiden
January 18th, 2012, 04:45 PM
A three pronged stick would still be a fork.

I don't have classic length hair, only hip, but I'm fairly sure it's the length of the hair toy that matters. It sounds like both toys would work, but because you want classic and I believe you've mentioned you have very thick hair before, you might want to go with four prongs to be safe. :)

4 prongs... hmmmm... maybe I'll get one of both???

Phalaenopsis
January 18th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I meant "the same holds truth", whoops :o

Zesty
January 18th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I like my 2-prong best because it has more space between the tines, so it's easier to get it through thick hair. But 3+ prongs usually hold anything you throw at them. Just make sure the fork is long enough, that's the most important thing. Good luck. :)

patienceneeded
January 18th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I prefer prongs with 3 forks, I feel they're more secure than a 2 prong fork. It's the working length of the tines that you need to worry about, rather than number of tines. As long as the length is good, 3 or 4 won't make too much of a difference.

Vanilla
January 18th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I agree that the length of the tines is more of what matters, rather than number of tines. I've almost outgrown my shorter two prong fork but not even close to outgrowing my longer tine fork.

Amber_Maiden
January 18th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Well, most of the forks I'm looking at are between 4 and 5in. Is that good?

Phalaenopsis
January 18th, 2012, 05:14 PM

No :)

You need at least a 6 inch

spidermom
January 18th, 2012, 05:14 PM
For me, the most important thing is that they have tines AT LEAST 4.5 to 5 inches long. My best-holding fork has 3 tines.

Kyla
January 18th, 2012, 05:16 PM
No :)

You need at least a 6 inch

Agreed. You may get away with five, but longer is definitely better.

Vanilla
January 18th, 2012, 05:20 PM

Try to make a lazy wrap bun and have someone (maybe your hubby) measure how long across your bun is to figure out if that's enough length for you. You'll need about 3/4 of the length of your bun in a workable length for your fork at a minimum.

A lot of etsy sellers of forks indicate what is the workable (or functional) length of the fork, but if they don't, it's easy to figure out. Workable length is the distance from the bottom of the space between the tines to the edge of the tines.

My longer fork has 4 inches workable length, and I've got about an inch sticking out on one side. Since your hair is thicker and longer than mine, I think you might want to go with a 5-6 inch fork so that you can use it when your hair gets longer.

WaterMusic
January 18th, 2012, 06:21 PM
The easiest way to measure your bun is to make one, poke a hair stick through so that the very tip of it is aligned with the edge of your bun, and mark the other side with your fingers. Pull the stick out, keeping your fingers in the same place. Measure the distance between the end of the stick and where you marked with your fingers. And voila, you have the diameter of your bun.

Add some wiggle room, based on how much more you want to grow out your hair, and then you should know roughly what function prong length you should be looking for. My nautilus is about 4" across, and I want to grow out a bit more, so I'm looking for 4.75" FPL. But I also hate the look of prongs hanging out too much, so I'm cutting it pretty close.

Long_hair_bear
January 18th, 2012, 06:32 PM
I just ordered my first hair fork in a 4 inch length! I'm only at bsl though with average thickness hair.

I bought this one finally:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/54436467/metal-metal-hair-fork-4-inch-amethyst

I've had my eye on it forever! I know they make it in a 5 inch too. :)

squintinschool
January 18th, 2012, 06:52 PM
For reference, the fork I had with me has a 5" fpl (I don't recall how much prong was left once I put it up in your bun, you may be able to see it on the picture though). I would definitely go no shorter than that, and if you want to use it for up to classic length hair, you may very well want to go with something with 6" fpl. I have two forks, that one, and my 4 prong one, and both hold equally well, so it'd be esthetics mostly between 3-4 prongs.

Amber_Maiden
January 18th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I just ordered my first hair fork in a 4 inch length! I'm only at bsl though with average thickness hair.

I bought this one finally:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/54436467/metal-metal-hair-fork-4-inch-amethyst

I've had my eye on it forever! I know they make it in a 5 inch too. :)

Already have one of those! :)

For reference, the fork I had with me has a 5" fpl (I don't recall how much prong was left once I put it up in your bun, you may be able to see it on the picture though). I would definitely go no shorter than that, and if you want to use it for up to classic length hair, you may very well want to go with something with 6" fpl. I have two forks, that one, and my 4 prong one, and both hold equally well, so it'd be esthetics mostly between 3-4 prongs.

Ok, then I'll definitely go for a longer one! Thank you!!!

patienceneeded
January 18th, 2012, 07:30 PM
I'd say 5" minimum for your length and thickness. I'd go for 6" if you're looking for something that will still work when you reach classic.

Long_hair_bear
January 18th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Already have one of those! :)

Ok, then I'll definitely go for a longer one! Thank you!!!

Oh, do you like it? :D

Amber_Maiden
January 18th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Oh, do you like it? :D

Yes, but it doesn't hold up my hair for very long. Too much hair.

jeanniet
January 18th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I like two or three prongs. Four is just too much for me. A lot depends on the fork itself. A two prong Quattro will hold perfectly for me, and so will a three prong Grahtoe (those are my two favorite fork makers). I prefer a prong length of 5 inches, but again, that does depend somewhat on the fork itself.

BlazingHeart
January 18th, 2012, 11:32 PM
I have 2, 3, 4, and 5 prong forks. I like them for different things, though I am still struggling with the 5 prong fork. My 3 favorites are a 5" mairzydozy 2 prong copper fork, a 5" jeterfork 3 prong wooden fork, and a 4.5" Grahtoe 4 prong wooden fork. I wouldn't be sure you need a 6" fork, personally. My pony circumference is over 5" and I am less than an inch from hip, but the diameter of my bun is still only 4.5". Definitely measure before you buy.

If you pushed me to decide which of my forks is my absolute fave, I would pick my 3 prong jeterfork. The hold is super solid and insertion is easy. I noticed you said the mairzydozy fork did not hold long; the jeterfork is definitely different, but I don't know how differently it will end up working for you. I found that none of my forks would hold long before I got the technique right and then suddenly they all held.

Kamir0
January 19th, 2012, 06:43 AM
It seems the consensus points to a 5-inch FL fork. ;)

I have a 3-prong Grah-Toe (http://www.etsy.com/listing/69526489/hair-fork-ivory-wood-mezzo-3-tine) and it holds super tightly ("like a rock" as some may say).
I didn't get the hang of it straight away though, and stabbed a few hairs trying to insert it... I have had to learn to bun more loosely because the prongs are fairly thick.
Now that I know how to use it properly, it is very comfortable and holds loosish buns all day long.

For reference, my hair was 35 inches in October (I haven't measured since), but my ponytail circumference is thinner than yours so you probably need longer prongs...

On another note, would a thicker stick (http://www.etsy.com/listing/82411964/red-oak-hair-stake-hair-stick) (stake) provide better hold for thicker hair?

Amber_Maiden
January 19th, 2012, 07:16 AM
It seems the consensus points to a 5-inch FL fork. ;)

I have a 3-prong Grah-Toe (http://www.etsy.com/listing/69526489/hair-fork-ivory-wood-mezzo-3-tine) and it holds super tightly ("like a rock" as some may say).
I didn't get the hang of it straight away though, and stabbed a few hairs trying to insert it... I have had to learn to bun more loosely because the prongs are fairly thick.
Now that I know how to use it properly, it is very comfortable and holds loosish buns all day long.

For reference, my hair was 35 inches in October (I haven't measured since), but my ponytail circumference is thinner than yours so you probably need longer prongs...

On another note, would a thicker stick (http://www.etsy.com/listing/82411964/red-oak-hair-stake-hair-stick) (stake) provide better hold for thicker hair?

Thank you! Exactly what I plan on doing. I'm currently looking at 5in jeterforks, one 3 pronged and one 4.

I use a thick stick like the image posted above to hold one of my buns- but I need a stronger hold for most buns, hence me getting some forks. :)

Kamir0
January 20th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Thank you! Exactly what I plan on doing. I'm currently looking at 5in jeterforks, one 3 pronged and one 4.

I use a thick stick like the image posted above to hold one of my buns- but I need a stronger hold for most buns, hence me getting some forks. :)

You are very welcome. :)

Will we get to see action shots of your success? :D

I have yet to take some of my Grah-Toe fork, as I have left it in the UK for fear of having it confiscated at the Eurotunnel security point (it is quite sharp)...

Amber_Maiden
January 20th, 2012, 06:53 AM
You are very welcome. :)

Will we get to see action shots of your success? :D

I have yet to take some of my Grah-Toe fork, as I have left it in the UK for fear of having it confiscated at the Eurotunnel security point (it is quite sharp)...

Definitely!
I've already started discussion with Grah-Toe about a custom version of one of their forks. I figure I only need one for now! :D

Ps. Good thing you left it behind! I'd hate for any of my hair toys to be confiscated either!

torrilin
January 20th, 2012, 11:26 AM
My ponytail is about 2.5-3" thick, and my hair is around 32" long. I can comfortably hold buns with sticks/forks that have a 3.5-4" working length, and depending on the style of bun, often I could continue to use the toy even with much longer hair. Stuff like knot buns tend to be most flexible for me in that way.

But I also have sticks/forks with 6" working length. These work for things like figure 8 buns, flipped cinnabuns and other styles where it's good to have lots of anchoring. All my longer toys are also really thin and light, mostly Quattros. They feel a LOT more secure. Since my hair is F and fairly straight, it packs down very densely and is pretty slippery, so a thin and light hair toy is easier to insert and easier to use to catch a lot of scalp hair so the style is securely held. Thicker toys pull more and are more likely to cause scalp pain for me.