PDA

View Full Version : Best length to start a V-hemline?

mzBANGBANG
January 18th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I have BSL hair (pretty much exact) and I am longing for a V-hemline! I think they are so flattering and will help make me look taller, while making my hair look longer, too.

My question is... is my hair too short to get a V-hemline? My plan was to wait until I grow to waist and get it, but I figured if I got it now it would take care of a ton of split ends since I started my new routine (and hopefully I can prevent a large amount of them now that I *know* lol).

I'll take any advice! My gut is telling me to wait until waist, or at least mid-back... thank you!

BTW, in my sig that's a slight bun wave going on. I normally have fairly straight hair with the occasional single wave just to throw everything off.

JuliaDancer
January 18th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I think your hair is long enough for a V. =)

jacqueline101
January 18th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I think v hem lines are cool I have one but my hair grows that way on its own.

einna
January 18th, 2012, 04:58 PM
I think your hair is long enough, but I am also a fan of listening to ones "gut". How about starting it now, a not so steep one, then you can make it steeper when it is longer? Would take care of a few splits and give you an idea of how you like the V on you.

Mesmerise
January 18th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Personally I always preferred a blunt cut, BUT since coming to LHC I've seen a number of lovely Vs.

However, to me, a V looks best when the hair is longer. Like, the shortest parts of the V should be (to me anyway :o) BSL+ or even waist, with the V hanging to TBL or so.

But this is just my opinion, and if you want to go for a V sooner, then do it! But personally, I'd stick with a more U shape until my hair was longer. (But maybe this is also partially because to get a V you need to cut a lot off the sides, which I think will make your hair seem quite a bit shorter from the front! You may like this or you may not).

Zefyra
January 18th, 2012, 05:00 PM
If it helps, I had a v when my hair was just shy of APL and it looked fine. I thinks its a matter of preference but there is no reason for you not to have one now if its what you want.

kitten1986
January 18th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I agree with starting with a shallow V and gradually go steeper as it gets longer :D
I would lOVE to see pics when you do it... I am at bsl and contemplating a V too they are so elegant!

mzBANGBANG
January 18th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Personally I always preferred a blunt cut, BUT since coming to LHC I've seen a number of lovely Vs.

However, to me, a V looks best when the hair is longer. Like, the shortest parts of the V should be (to me anyway :o) BSL+ or even waist, with the V hanging to TBL or so.

But this is just my opinion, and if you want to go for a V sooner, then do it! But personally, I'd stick with a more U shape until my hair was longer. (But maybe this is also partially because to get a V you need to cut a lot off the sides, which I think will make your hair seem quite a bit shorter from the front! You may like this or you may not).

This is exactly my train of thought. The most lovely Vs to me seem to have the shortest pieces at BSL... maybe if I did kind of inch into it I wouldn't miss the length from the front much.

The other problem I am having is my hair being so straight and thick... I'm not sure if I'm the right type for one. And I'll be really upset if I have to cut back to BSL because I hate my hemline... but that's a whole other thread, haha.

spike316
January 18th, 2012, 05:16 PM
This is exactly my train of thought. The most lovely Vs to me seem to have the shortest pieces at BSL... maybe if I did kind of inch into it I wouldn't miss the length from the front much.

The other problem I am having is my hair being so straight and thick... I'm not sure if I'm the right type for one. And I'll be really upset if I have to cut back to BSL because I hate my hemline... but that's a whole other thread, haha.

Based on what you're saying here I definitely recommend starting at a shallow v and then moving from there. ^_^

swearnsue
January 18th, 2012, 05:31 PM
It sounds like you like to wear buns. Will a V line make the buns harder to do? Just asking so you can keep all possible pros and cons in mind. Your hair will still look lovely no matter how you cut it though!

spidermom
January 18th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I think the V starts to look best around tailbone length, although, to be honest, I'm not fond of the V even then.

AGFE0914
January 18th, 2012, 09:39 PM
V hem lines are easy to cut of course you should start with just a slight v if doing yourself. Good luck with ur choice. I always had layers and waited until I around bra strap to do my v cut.

tweetylonghair
January 18th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I got a nice V cut when i was solid BSL.. I love it and you can still see it.. My longest is almost waist.. and shortest is APL.. I enjoy mine and you can mostly see it in my hair album as well.

dulce
January 18th, 2012, 10:00 PM
I had a sharp v hem,curly and layered from just past shoulders to waist.I cut off the v hem [several inches!!] as I found all the layers and v to make braids and updos impossible,all the shorter layers stuck out messily.Now grown back to waist, and I have a slight u shape with almost no layers ,much better for updos.But the v hem is so pretty if all you want to do is wear it down.

Moonlake
January 18th, 2012, 10:00 PM

Alix
January 19th, 2012, 01:36 AM
My hair grows naturally in a V shape.
At BSL I was in a more of a U shape, but at waist I'm definitely starting to point out. I think it depends on how your hair grows naturally, if it naturally V's out, if you cut it now it will get really drastic. However, if you don't cutting it now would be fine.

tigereye
January 19th, 2012, 03:25 AM
I started mine when i chopped back to mid-back, and added long layers myself. I liked it at first, but I think it looks better as it gets longer, and it also behaves better. Its sneaking past waist in the longest part.

torrilin
January 19th, 2012, 09:59 AM
My hair seems to be V inclined, or at least a sharp U. Last year I did a year long no trim experiment and came out the other side with a pretty pointy hem, and I think it looked decent.

However, the longer my hair gets, the more likely I am to just braid it in the shower and maybe use a towel to squeeze out more water from the braid. And the natural layers that grew into my hair made that into something of a pain... and some of my hairs are "racer" hairs that grow much faster than the rest. It's hard to protect those sorts of hairs in a braid. A bun works better. Buns and bike helmets don't necessarily get along well. And in my life, bike helmets are waaaaaaaaay more important than hair.

You're the one who can best judge how the details work in your own life. Just be aware that as your hair gets longer, it won't necessarily be looks that are your first concern.

lapushka
January 19th, 2012, 10:04 AM

This. ^^

If you should go for a V now, you might end up with quite short pieces on both sides. I'd wait until it's WL, if I were you. But it's totally up to you. You could, as was suggested already, start with a shallow V.

MissAlida
January 19th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I have a V, and like it. I'm almost at BSL...I also have layers.My shortest layer is at collarbone lenght, my longest(in the middle-tip of the V) is at BSL. I have a deep V cut. You might want to do a slight V if you wear your hair in braids alot. A deep V doesen't go well with braids, unless you don't mind having a looong tassle. A V will look best if you are on the thick side of the balance(which I'm not, but I'm working on that:rolleyes: ). If your hair is thin, you'll en up with a couple of strands in the middle (talking from experience). However, if you like wearing your hair down, it looks very nice, has lots of movement.:)

jojo
January 19th, 2012, 12:22 PM
My own hair grows into a natural V, i prefer blunt but im going for a U hemline when i next trim!