PDA

View Full Version : Lily Munster's white streak...

LocustSpawning
January 18th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Hi all!

I really love the look of the white streak in Lily Munsters hair and have been thinking of doing it to my own. I know I'd have to bleach one streak of hair to death to get it that white, but do you think it would be okay? Just one streak??

& How do you think it would look? Just seeing what other people think! :)

On my hair I would do a streak underneath the top layer of hair so the regrowth wouldn't look so obvious.

http://i44.tinypic.com/35ibxb5.jpg

vanity_acefake
January 18th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I love Lily Munster so much. Have done since I was a kid. I adore her hair.
However,
Her White streak is pure white. You are going to have to bleach your hair so much to get it that white.
But
Have you thought of getting white streak hair extensions put in instead?
:)

Mommyof4
January 18th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I think it would look cool :D But, yeah you'd have on streak of extremely damaged hair.. it's up to you

joflakes
January 18th, 2012, 03:26 PM
It would certainly look cool but it'd have to be bleached to within an inch of it's life to get that white! Unless you were happy with a blonde instead?

spike316
January 18th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I love Lily Munster so much. Have done since I was a kid. I adore her hair.
However,
Her White streak is pure white. You are going to have to bleach your hair so much to get it that white.
But
Have you thought of getting white streak hair extensions put in instead?
:)

This is what I was thinking. And with a clip in if you decide that you're tired of it one day you can just take it out, no worries! :cheese:

error
January 18th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Please do an extension ! I got white lilly munster extention clip ins :> i made some out of a really long white wig . First I clipped off two wefts then I hot glued the tips and stitched on little wig clips .
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/deathORdie/lillianmunster.jpg But I forgot to comb them , yep LOL
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/deathORdie/104_7221.jpg
EH well there was my night of lilly makeup!

jacqueline101
January 18th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Lily munster is awesome and I also like your impression of lily munster.

Schrei777
January 18th, 2012, 04:47 PM
You can have mine! lol. I was born with a huge chunk of pure white hair, except it's on the back of my head not in the front and all pretty like hers. Once I grow all my natural hair out I can chop it of and make an extension for you :p. But seriously, I agree with everyone else about the clip in extension. I had a blue one and it was really easy and fun and everyone thought it was real. And when I was sick of it I could just take it out.

Madora
January 18th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Yes, please, LocustSpawning, consider a white extension. It would be a pity to damage your lovely hair so severely by bleaching it.

AnqeIicDemise
January 18th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Eh. I tried the clip on extensions but I can't really braid them or do well with them. So I have the underside of my hair bleached and colored. Its holding up really well despite the bleaching goodness and I suppose that's because I only bleach out the roots every few months or so then dye over it with a veggie dye. I think you need to reach a pale blond with bleaching then use the right toner to cancel out the color and make it silver/white. It can be done but I suggest you get it done professionally.

However, there are other LHCrs with wild and crazy hair who know more. There's one poster who has an amazing purple chunk of hair with jet black and from what I remember she's sported the white chunk and black as well. Gosh, I wish I could remember her name.

ETA: I'd give you my natural white streak except its on my eyebrow. XD Its my sister who has the natural streak at her temple. My brother has it in the back of his head like Schrie777. They're so pretty! I'm jealous I have mine on my flippin' brow.

MandyBeth
January 18th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I have clipins from puppycatmeow on etsy, she's AWESOME and I love mine.

Aveyronnaise
January 19th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Hey another annoying thing is this , if that is your natural hair color you might not be able to get it up to white very easily. I have tried several times in the past when my hair was short to go white in sections and failed, the brightest I had ever gotten was a cheese color .Not what I was going for ...:(
I think extensions are good idea here .

XcaliburGirl
January 19th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Hey another annoying thing is this , if that is your natural hair color you might not be able to get it up to white very easily. I have tried several times in the past when my hair was short to go white in sections and failed, the brightest I had ever gotten was a cheese color .Not what I was going for ...:(
I think extensions are good idea here .
I agree. My only experience with bleach gave me orange hair. I'm not sure how strong the bleach was, though, since it was at a salon and I told them I was dying the ends dark blue.

At the very least, do strand tests so you can see if your hair will go that light.

adiapalic
January 19th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Have any saved chops or trims with enough length and hair that you could do bleaching tests on?

This would give you an idea of the process you'd have to develop getting it white enough before going forward with your attached hair.

Also, if you want to test out the look on yourself, I also recommend going with the extension suggestions. :)

PS- I think it would be a fabulous look! :flower:

PinkyCat
January 19th, 2012, 08:08 AM
I did this a couple years ago:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7960&pictureid=108160

It was pretty cool. Not damaged at all. It was more blond than white though. And, actually, it took a couple rounds of dye to get it dark again.

MoonLover
January 19th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I put two white streaks in the front of my hair in high school a la Rogue from X-men. I did bleach my hair but it wasn't too bad. I bleached it just enough for Manic Panic dye to take, I think the color was something like Virgin Snow. There are probably many more vegetable dyes out there since it's been years.

MandyBeth
January 19th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Just FYI, my hair is a 6ish or so normally, and I can NOT bleach to white. I can't even get all the way to platinum blonde. I last tried that in jr high/high school, and I think I may have been around a 5 in shade there, but I can't get lighter than a buttery yellowish blonde.

Nakjter
January 19th, 2012, 12:52 PM
My grandmother had a large white patch of hair at the temples, as Lily Munster. My father and my aunts have it. It is all natural. To them the gray out all together in the same lock. I may also have hair like that when I go gray.

I like the idea of ​​having hair like Lily, but must be weighed often bleached roots.

Sagi1982
January 19th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I tried it - and failed. My hair was (chemically) dyed black before, and the streak came out blonde-orange-red. Although I find it kind of cool ;), this was not the result I'd long for. Now its dyed pink and green.

pink.sara
January 19th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Eh. I tried the clip on extensions but I can't really braid them or do well with them. So I have the underside of my hair bleached and colored. Its holding up really well despite the bleaching goodness and I suppose that's because I only bleach out the roots every few months or so then dye over it with a veggie dye. I think you need to reach a pale blond with bleaching then use the right toner to cancel out the color and make it silver/white. It can be done but I suggest you get it done professionally.

However, there are other LHCrs with wild and crazy hair who know more. There's one poster who has an amazing purple chunk of hair with jet black and from what I remember she's sported the white chunk and black as well. Gosh, I wish I could remember her name!

I think you may mean me! At least I hope so because thats a nice compliment :)

Its possible to get the white in my avatar < without completely killing your hair. But its expensive, time consuming and will take a few weeks.
My base colour is one shade before black and has loads of red so I use a bleach with 40 vol developer every 4-6 weeks on the roots only to maintain.
The initial trip to white meant 2 separate bleachings one with 40 vol one with 20 both for 40 minutes, this gets me to palest butter yellow (you dont want to bleach beyond this ideally as it will stretch) then I use vegetable toners like Manic Panic Virgin Snow, silver shampoo like Lush daddy'o and leave ins like fanciful roux white minx to gradually reduce yellow. After 3-6 weeks
it should be sparkly white.
I've had tailbone with the streak bleached but it needs serious protein and moisture care.

If that doesnt sound too horrific its do-able! But even glue in extensions are kinder.

akilina
January 19th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I personally would do it myself but Im really comfortable with bleach and toners.
If you do decide to do it just remember that toner is your friend :)

AnqeIicDemise
January 19th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I think you may mean me! At least I hope so because thats a nice compliment :)

Its possible to get the white in my avatar < without completely killing your hair. But its expensive, time consuming and will take a few weeks.
My base colour is one shade before black and has loads of red so I use a bleach with 40 vol developer every 4-6 weeks on the roots only to maintain.
The initial trip to white meant 2 separate bleachings one with 40 vol one with 20 both for 40 minutes, this gets me to palest butter yellow (you dont want to bleach beyond this ideally as it will stretch) then I use vegetable toners like Manic Panic Virgin Snow, silver shampoo like Lush daddy'o and leave ins like fanciful roux white minx to gradually reduce yellow. After 3-6 weeks
it should be sparkly white.
I've had tailbone with the streak bleached but it needs serious protein and moisture care.

If that doesnt sound too horrific its do-able! But even glue in extensions are kinder.

Yes, it was you! :D

I adore your purple and I tried doing something similar on my own. The thing is I don't have help and I'm not comfortable bleaching on my own so I must now go to a salon... and they like more conservative, traditional colors. So although I still have a deep purple in, its more of a plum red. I need to bleach more to be able to get the vibrant hues I want.

And maybe this is why my hair loves protein so much. lol

PixieKitten
January 19th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I would definately recommend a clip in extension! I have a blue one that I like to put in on occassion, just to shake things up a bit. It looked awesome when the rest of my hair was bright red!

I'd say get a clip to test out the look, then after a while, if you really really like it, start testing your hair to see how it responds to the bleach. If it goes how you like, then go ahead and bleach it!

lilravendark
January 19th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I did this a couple of months ago only had to bleach twice then tone, you wont get white by just bleaching you will need toner once it gets to a light yellow. My hair isn't damaged it feels fine I've dyed my hair and bleached it a lot but it always recovers after.a while. I also slathered on the coconut oil on the hair I wanted to bleach before hand I think that helped a lot. Here's what it looked like sorry for the huge picture
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7057&pictureid=115704

Gingerbear
January 19th, 2012, 07:06 PM
I laughed when I read this thread because I never thought of anyone doing this on purpose, but I could see why people would want to because it looks cool. In the medical community, a white forelock is called "piebaldism" and associated with a specific genetic defect. Sometimes it can be associated with deafness.

Schrei777
January 19th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I laughed when I read this thread because I never thought of anyone doing this on purpose, but I could see why people would want to because it looks cool. In the medical community, a white forelock is called "piebaldism" and associated with a specific genetic defect. Sometimes it can be associated with deafness.

Is that what it's called even if it's not caused by any kind of medical condition and you were just born with it? Because I always just call mine a birth mark, but I have always wondered if there is a name for it.

lacefrost
January 19th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I'm gonna disagree with a lot of folks and say go for it! I mean, it's just a streak, it's not your whole head. And since it would be in an underlayer if you decided it was too icky, you could grow it out without anyone noticing. Just experiment on shed hair to see if it's the color you want, then take the plunge.

RedheadMistress
January 19th, 2012, 09:49 PM
- Do you have virgin hair ?
If so, do it .

I did it too but got sick of it not being blonde enough so dyed it bright red ^^

Red_Wednesday
January 19th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Please do an extension ! I got white lilly munster extention clip ins :> i made some out of a really long white wig . First I clipped off two wefts then I hot glued the tips and stitched on little wig clips .
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/deathORdie/lillianmunster.jpg But I forgot to comb them , yep LOL
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/deathORdie/104_7221.jpg
EH well there was my night of lilly makeup!

Uh, I don't have a clue about bleach so I can't give any real feedback, i do love Lily though:D.

@Error: Wow! You knocked it out of the ball park!! I seriously thought I was looking at a young Yvonne De Carlo!!! Awesome!!!