PDA

View Full Version : Should I really keep doing this? (pic included)

bttrfly857
July 15th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I've been debating if I want to keep trying for waist or visit a salon and cut. So, I took a pic for the first time and am kind of horrified that this is what I've been walking around with. I knew it was frizzy, and I've been growing out layers and color for about 11 months now, but it really doesn't look good I don't think. Plus, what's up with being able to see my scalp?!

So, should I stick with growing it long? Or is my fine hair just going to get even worse as I go?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3168/2672211631_fb6968816b.jpg?v=0

orangeeyecrayon
July 15th, 2008, 07:13 PM
i say stick with it, i think this is a case of your mind decieving you and making you think your hair is bad.

it really looks rahter nice. if you are concerned about frizz than you should experiment with diffrent oils and gels to see what works for you

Euphony
July 15th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I don't think it looks frizzy at all. And the scalp thing, I even do that on occasion. There's this spot in the back of my head about 3 inches long that tends to not play well together. It's like a part, it's a cowlick.

I've noticed that my hair always looks frizzy and messy to me because I don't have beautiful, sleek, straight hair - so it bothers me, but only me.

Riot Crrl
July 15th, 2008, 07:17 PM
That amount of frizz might not be anything a little more moisture couldn't fix. I think it looks good. A lot of people have a tiny amount of showing scalp like that. Sometimes I do if I don't arrange it well in an updo or something.

bttrfly857
Your probably right, it's all in my head. Maybe I should just cut off the layers? I suppose I should wait 2 weeks before doing that though, right? And look into fighting the frizziness....

NurseMama
Your ends look very pretty and shiney, but what is most important is how you feel.

Wait at least a month or two before making a decision.

laurachiplock
July 15th, 2008, 07:20 PM
um, excuse me but I dont see any frizz!!! Your hair is perfectly fine!! I get the back part too sometimes, I think its definately normal for us with fine hair....

girlcat36
July 15th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Um, your hair looks great; no reason to cut! I am confused because my 'good' hair days are a lot worse than this 'bad' pic of yours! :D

jessie58
July 15th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I would say keep on growing. Overall, your hair looks quite healthy and nice. You may have fine hair but you have a lot of it. It will be even more beautiful as it grows.

Most of us have some natural strange parting on the backs or tops of our heads somewhere, yours is the same. It just happened to separate for the photo. Now that you are aware that it's there, you can keep an eye on it while it dries and try to get it to fall differently. I've been fighting with a spot like that for years.

I would say, don't bleach, blowdry or otherwise treat it harshly. Keep the canopy moisturized and get microtrims along the way and your hair should grow out very healthy and pretty. You've got a great head start.

RavenDream
July 15th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I get that part in the back too, so now worries there. I think you're hair looks really nice and I'm jealous of your shiny ends.

bttrfly857
July 15th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Well thanks everyone! And I swear I'm not just fishing for compliments, I really was considering calling a salon asap. But, I'll wait it out a month or so (maybe get a micro trim as suggested) and play with oils.

bohemian
July 15th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Yeah super pretty hair!! And I get the part in the back too its about 1-2inch long on the right side... annoying but manageable. Don't cut just oil. :D

DecafJane
July 15th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I agree that your hair looks good! When I read the first part of your post, I was expecting something entirely different when I scrolled down to see the picture - I thought it would actually look bad! :P
Your ends look great and your hair is definitely not too fine to grow long!! :)

squiggyflop
July 15th, 2008, 07:41 PM
i cant see the picture :(

Morningglory
July 15th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Keep growing! It looks pretty and healthy!:cheer:

spidermom
July 15th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I looked and looked and looked and I don't see anything horrifying. Hair tends to separate out into clumps and that's why we can see your scalp in one tiny spot. At least that's what I think, but I just got home from a long day of flying home from Ohio so what do I know? If you like long hair, grow it. If you don't like it, then _____________(fill in the blank yourself).

shellblue1
July 15th, 2008, 09:46 PM
The part on the back of your head might be what's known as a cowlick. I have one on the back right side of my head and it's so annoying! I honestly don't see much frizz at all. I vote that you keep growing! :)

Albrun
July 15th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I had this moments two where i didnt like my hairs(layers). Then I put my hairs up, and didnt care any more. After a month they look different. sometimes I cut half n inch, if my longest layer looked to thin, so they "grow" out with the time.

But your hair is already nice, don`t cut. The cowlick wouldn`t get better if yout hair was short. I think mine gets less obviaus the longer my hair grow. Keep growing!

Jan in ID
July 15th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I say stick with it, your hair looks fine to me!

Arctic
July 15th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I too have scalp showing, it's normal. Pretty, shiny hair you have there, and I can't see frizz.

peachy.pudding
July 16th, 2008, 01:20 AM
I would say cut off the trashed hair before it damages the healthy hair.

Katze
July 16th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I can't see any damage.

As the owner of fine, wavy hair myself, what I do see is a cowlick or 'scalp cleavage', something I have too. There is almost no way around it, though washing more often does help as the crown hair doesn't hang so lank.

Otherwise, I don't see any two tone problems or anything really noticeably wrong with your hair. Could it be that you are just at an awkward length?

Riot Crrl
July 16th, 2008, 01:26 AM
I don't see any "trashed hair" either. Were that the case, I'll need to shave me 'ead tomorrer.

vampodrama
July 16th, 2008, 01:30 AM
I think your hair looks pretty.

and I have scalp showing like that as well. only from this thread I found out it's not only me (I was so freaked and thought I was spot balding or something!) I also think it's more pronounced with darker hair, cos the skin is white and the contrast thus bigger.

Isilme
July 16th, 2008, 02:06 AM
you think this is damaged and bad looking hair? Then you haven't seen damaged hair. I would have been lucky if I had started with that hair. I seriousley thought this was the after picture and you had forgotten to add the before pic. If you think you hair is frizzy, do a nice long deep moisture treatment. Your hair is perfectly fine, the damaged and frizz probably only exists in your mind :flowers: keep growing if that's what you want, you have a great start.

tiny_teesha
July 16th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Look at my hair, and then don't complain- your hair is an inspiration! you see the scalp when hair is oily. So that is normal! Don't worry, you have beautiful hair!

Hampshirelass
July 16th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Agreed with the above! I think your hair is really pretty and I cannot see any damage, either.

Amoretti
July 16th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Definitely don't cut if off. You'll be back to square one and all that growing will have been for nothing.

This stage you're in is the most difficult but persevere and in just a few months you'll be able to use hairtoys and do updos. Don't throw it all away now! :)

wendyg
July 16th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Speaking as someone with fine hair, I think you'll find if you let it keep growing that it changes a lot as it gets longer - my hair at that length would be flying all over the place (it's practically weightless), but the weight of added length makes it behave a *lot* better - essentially, the longer it is, the better it looks.

wg

Faepirate
July 16th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Wendyg is right, as you keep growing, the increasing weight of longer hair will keep it under control.
As it is now, I think your hair is gorgeous, honestly. Great shine and beautiful colour. You do not have a frizz problem! :D (You should see mine when I've just brushed it out...... Frizz Planet!!)

Please persevere! :)

n3m3sis42
July 16th, 2008, 04:42 AM
I've been debating if I want to keep trying for waist or visit a salon and cut. So, I took a pic for the first time and am kind of horrified that this is what I've been walking around with. I knew it was frizzy, and I've been growing out layers and color for about 11 months now, but it really doesn't look good I don't think. Plus, what's up with being able to see my scalp?!

So, should I stick with growing it long? Or is my fine hair just going to get even worse as I go?

I don't think it's frizzy at all. I'm actually envious of your volume.

I have the same scalp issue. I found a term on LHC to describe it--"scalp cleavage". For me, it happens more when I'm closer to needing to wash my hair. I think it happens to a lot of people with fine hair (and it's more noticeable if, like you and me, you have dark hair).

I think you should keep growing. It's pretty!

bttrfly857
July 16th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Thanks everyone. I think I need to start wearing it up more too, especially at times (and lengths) like this where it drives me insane! I guess it is a cowlick in the back of my head, I have some at my hairline too. Just washed and oiled so we'll see if it's any better today. I've had oil for a while, but haven't been good about using it regularly...

Xandergrammy
July 16th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I think your hair looks great- thick and shiny. I don't even see any frizz. As for the scalp thing, alot of us have funky cowlicks that cause the hair to part in strange spots. If you have a look at my pictures, that "hair cleavage" is evident in most length shots. Keep on growing!!

JessTheMess
July 16th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I say grow, grow , grow!!!! Your hair is beautiful, shiny, and healthy!

Patrycja
July 16th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I personally think it looks wonderful but it is your decision to cut.How about trying a SMT treatment(recipe in the recipes forum) to give you moisture? I had a horrible time with frizz(I am a chemical color head and a wavy),but then I started using different oils.LHC saved me :happydance: Maybe you can find something here that will work for you.

paper
July 16th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I think your hair looks good. Sometimes when I take pic of the back of my hair I can see my scalp, like yours too. It's usually on days when my hair hasn't been washed. I say keep growing!

Periwinkle
July 16th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Your hair looks beautiful and shiny and thick and not at all frizzy. It's gorgeous!

Two week rule: keep going for two weeks and see if you still want a trim.

WaimeaWahine
July 16th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I need to start wearing it up more too, especially at times (and lengths) like this where it drives me insane! I guess it is a cowlick in the back of my head, I have some at my hairline too. Just washed and oiled so we'll see if it's any better today. I've had oil for a while, but haven't been good about using it regularly...

Could just be the natural crown where it's parting in back. Maybe you have a double crown like me.
As a fellow fine hair, I share your frustration and sometimes wonder if long hair isn't meant to be for us.

Don't cut or trim it - give it more of a chance. Consider vitamin supplements if you don't already take any and are still bothered. It does make a difference in how fast things grow (hair, nails) and how healthy.

Your hair is pretty! :)

chloeishere
July 16th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I'm going to assume that you've never had long hair before? So you aren't sure if your hair *can* do it, and still look nice?

Also, your hair looks great, as most everybody has already mentioned. It doesn't look frizzy or thin at all!

I'm going to post a few pictures. But first!

Fine hair (especially if "ii" or "i" thickness) tends to get scalp cleavage. I didn't know I had it until I joined LHC, because I didn't have pictures of the back of my hair, of course! I don't think in reality it is as noticable as it is in pictures (due to the magic of flash, which makes it look much much worse). It doesn't look that bad in real life, and it doesn't mean you are going bald. But I hate mine too, for what it's worth-- I generally just try to finger comb in that area of my hair while it's drying, so it doesn't part as much there, and it helps a lot.

Though I classify myself as fine/medium, I mostly have fine hairs, with some medium, and some coarse hairs tossed in. I successfully managed to grow my hair to about hip length when I was a teenager, with "average" hair care (not LHC caliber hair care)-- shampoo and conditioner every other day, leaving it in a low ponytail (with tons of breakage where the ponytail hit) almost all the time. I brushed several times a day with a plastic brush with synthetic bristles, and I ripped through my hair. I never did deep treatments, but I also never blow dried or dyed my hair.

Even considering my fine hair, I grew to hip length-- maybe not as fast, but with a minimum of attention paid. And it looked pretty nice-- especially considering that I did not trim. Ever.
Just because you don't like the way it looks now (I HATE the length I'm at now, it just doesn't look good on me) doesn't mean it won't look good long. Especially if you trim out those layers eventually!
Now (approx APL length-- the lines designate APL, this picture was uploaded for a different post... and I do have scalp cleavage in this picture, I was trying to keep handling to a minimum):
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/IMG_4368c.jpg

When I was at hip-length (approx 9 years ago):
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/cropsofhair.jpg

I'm not saying my hair back then looked GREAT, or anything... but it certainly looked alright, and I got many compliments anyway. Just think about how much better my hair could look with proper care this time around! And yours could too! Just because your hair is fine, doesn't mean it will look thin or stringy or ugly when it's long.

Don't give up hope. And if the scalp cleavage really bothers you, wash your hair more often-- if your hair isn't oily, it won't show much.

bttrfly857
July 17th, 2008, 05:39 AM
I'm going to assume that you've never had long hair before? So you aren't sure if your hair *can* do it, and still look nice?

Well until 5th grade I had my hair at about tailbone length and I guess it looked pretty decent. It's been somewhere between chin and BSL ever since. Recently, until last June, it was BSL but it was also dyed and looking back on pics I don't think it looked very good.

bttrfly857
July 17th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Consider vitamin supplements if you don't already take any and are still bothered. It does make a difference in how fast things grow (hair, nails) and how healthy.

Vitamins, now there's something I always forget to do!

Your hair is pretty! :)

Thanks! :)

tiny_teesha
July 17th, 2008, 06:06 AM
because i like makeing fun of my hair:
sad isn't it? (http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=july20080714007qk5.jpg)

That was my hair as of last week i think.
It is WL...that's right....look closer.
THAT is what bad hair looks like, your hair looks AMAZING! Really, don't you dare touch a scissors to it you are seeing things, your hair is full, shiney, thick and healthy looking. Please!!! :)

FrannyG
July 17th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I've come to realize, nitsirk857, that it's a common phenomenon here at LHC for many of us to think our hair looks much worse than it does. Please look at your photo as though you are looking at another member's hair, and you'll see as I do that your hair is lovely. Really lovely. It doesn't look as though you need anything trimmed. However, I know that sometimes hair feels different from how it looks. If you really need any trimming to give you that fresh feeling, please don't trim more than a half of an inch at most.

I would say cut off the trashed hair before it damages the healthy hair.
peachy.pudding, a kind answer turns away anger.

chelles2kids
July 17th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Gosh I agree with the others here.
You have some really nice hair, great shine and I don't see the frizz you mentioned? Your color is awesome as well.

I say, defiantely continue to let it grow!:flower:

Michelle