PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil and wurls

dwell_in_safety
January 17th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Bit of background:
Naturally my hair has always been wavy, with the ends becoming ringlets when the length hits midback. I stopped using shampoo 3.5 months ago and am now CO and have been using jojoba oil as a leave-in with a mixture of coconut oil and EVOO as a fortnightly deep conditioning treatment.

The last time I washed my hair was two nights ago, WO between CO washes. I left my jojoba oil at a friend's apartment recently, so I used coconut oil as a leave-in instead.

Every night I brush my hair with a BBB bent at the waist, hair upside down so to speak. Both last night and tonight, after using the coconut oil, the underside of my hair has had 2c waves! Previously it only ever looked like that at longer lengths, and then only on some days.

I'm wondering, has anyone else had experience with coconut oil making their hair more wurly than it otherwise would be?

It's possible that my hair has never been properly moisturized, and I'm thinking of stopping the use of EVOO because even a light oiling with coconut oil has left better results in general than the two combined ever did. I know that jojoba oil merely coats the hair shaft, in a manner of speaking, while coconut oil is one of the oils that nourishes from the inside out.

I wouldn't mind if my natural hair texture is actually 2c. :eyebrows: (I've never actually typed my hair properly; the 2b was average when it was long in the past).

ttverdy
January 17th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Hi!

I recently started using coconut oil. I'm mostly 2c with 3a pieces around my face. The coconut oil didn't make me more wurly, because I had to kind of comb out my wurls as I applied it. I'd bet that you're actually a 2c, and the added moisture and care has helped that to come out.

Good luck!

Mommyof4
January 17th, 2012, 10:18 PM
YES :D

My hair is wurly and LOVES to be clarified with dawn soap (go figure!) and oiled with coconut oil.. I love avocado oil and argan oil.. jojoba oil worked just okay.. but the coconut oil I can do daily with no weighing down or greasy look :) plus, my wurls/curls show up more with the coconut oil