PDA

View Full Version : Should I wash it before coloring?

Darkhorse1
July 15th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Hey my friends!
I'm getting my hair colored tomorrow (semi permanent). My hair is a bit dirty right now, but I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that leaving your hair dirty is better than apply color to clean hair.

Thanks for any input. I just did a CO wash (well, the ends), and hope to leave it as they wash it pretty well at the salon, for which I leave it for 2 days to let the color set and I usually don't need to wash it much after :)

girlcat36
July 15th, 2008, 05:13 PM
No, dirty hair is best. Then leave it dirty for a few days fter that.

Riot Crrl
July 15th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I think it depends on the type of color. For bleach or peroxide containing stuff, I did always hear the dirty hair thing. I think it is supposed to prevent (as much) damage, and the peroxide seems to have no trouble eating right through any buildup.

Your semi on the other hand, is supposed to just soak in and cling to any bits of your hair that it can grab. I would imagine for that kind of thing, it may be better to have as clean hair as possible, to help ensure it doesn't just cling to natural oils or buildup and grabs hair instead.

Shermie Girl
July 15th, 2008, 05:26 PM
If you wash about 24 hours before colour and don't have any cones on your hair, you don't need to wash your hair. If it has been longer than a day or so or if you use cones, you need to clarify your hair well, before your colour service so that you get the best colour you can. :)

Darkhorse1
July 15th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Wow! Thanks! That's very helpful :)

Morningglory
July 15th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Be careful not to scrub or scratch your scalp, do a gentle wash. Or do not wash at all. It is not nessessary.

heidihug
July 16th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I used to use semi-permanent color before going the permanent color route, and I always, always washed my hair before. If I did not (found out the hard way) it repelled the color and would be very blotchy at the roots. Now, if you have no trouble with oily skin (I have an extremely oily scalp), you might be able to color "dirty" hair. Otherwise, always follow the package directions, which, in my experience, advises you to only color clean hair with no after-product on it.

Good luck!

bex487
July 16th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I like to wash my hair before, because I try to go for at least a few days without washing afterwards (so the dye doesn't get stripped out).

Darkhorse1
July 16th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I washed it, as it was pretty dirty. I'm getting it done at a salon--I don't color my own hair. Too much of it ;) I'm off! Thanks gals!!