PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for Sleep

airmid
January 17th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Hi! I was wondering what alternatives for braids there are for sleeping that I could try. Preferably ones that cause some kind of waves in the hair. I've been braiding and I love the waves I get but the elastics are damaging my ends (I use ouchless ones but they still hurt my hair, it's been shedding a lot recently so I have to be careful what I use). I'm not very good at hairstyling, so something very simple and very easy, preferably elastic-free, that will be good for fragile, BSL length hair. Thanks! :)

Anywhere
January 17th, 2012, 05:15 PM
A fully rolled sock bun on the top of the head might work, or any type of bun on top of your head for that matter.

BlondieHepburn
January 17th, 2012, 05:17 PM
I've been doing a sock bun on top of my head at night and it's wonderful. Stays out of the way, no tangles, and nice soft curls in the morning.

blondyhead
January 17th, 2012, 05:23 PM
One of the best things i ever did was get a silk pillow case. Not only does it feel AMAZING! but you get no tangles and no frizz!

airmid
January 17th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks!
How does one do a sock bun, and what do you pin it up with? :) I'm a little clueless about these things, hahahaha!
I must see about getting a silk pillowcase, too! Sounds lovely!

RitaPG
January 17th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I agree with the previous comment, a satin pillowcase does wonders. The fabric is much more delicate and doesn't rub off your hair, I swear that sometimes I wake up and don't even have messy hair, let alone tangles. Even if I sleep with my hair loose :D

hellokrilly
January 17th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Sock bun is amazing and I love taking it off in the morning,it gives nice curls here is a tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM

Fairy tale
January 17th, 2012, 05:46 PM
YOu don't use any pins to do a sock bun I agree it is definatley the best to sleep in and for curls here is a link that explains it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FV-YO46E8Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM&feature=relmfu

jacqueline101
January 17th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I do a low pony tail with a scrunchi and its easy.

airmid
January 17th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Oh my god I did it!! I made a sock bun!! :D :D You realize this is the first real bun I have ever made other than weird messy damaging hair elastic buns! :D Now if only there was a way to do this with no hair elastic at all... my bun is messy and ugly, but hey, it's my first try!
I honestly just ran to the bathroom with a little mirror to check it in the big mirror, saying, "I DID IT I DID IT I DID IT!" hahahahaha! So will this thing hold overnight?
Thank you for the help! I wish it wasn't wash day tomorrow and my hair wasn't oiled so I could see what kind of curls I get!

Carissamarie08
January 17th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I just wear my hair down at night. Wearing it up irritates me and I can't sleep well. Glad you managed the sock bun though, that's what I wear while in uniform at work.

Zesty
January 17th, 2012, 06:42 PM
You could use a scrunchie or a homemade hair tie made of tights to tie off your braids. I found the ouchless elastics damaging as well, but larger, looser, softer alternatives leave you with the waves and no breakage.

airmid
January 17th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I should invest in a scrunchie, I looked for them today at the grocery store but there weren't any. :( I would feel so awesomely 90s with a scrunchie!!
You can make them from tights? cool! Any other materials you make make hair ties from?

airmid
January 17th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I just wear my hair down at night. Wearing it up irritates me and I can't sleep well. Glad you managed the sock bun though, that's what I wear while in uniform at work.

I wish I could do that!! I end up with a horrible rats' nest when I try, hahahaha! Do you find it hard to detangle in the morning?

sisi33
January 17th, 2012, 07:07 PM
I wish I could do that!! I end up with a horrible rats' nest when I try, hahahaha! Do you find it hard to detangle in the morning?
This is my hair when I sleep with it 'free' on a cotton pillowcase. :D Horrific in the morning! BUT I recently found a satin pillow case that I made when I was in grade school (:disgust:) and it's worked WONDERS for when I don't want to put up my hair for the night. If you're handy with a sewing machine, then go to a fabric store and get a yard of non-sticky type satin (because some of them can feel odd...), measure your pillow, cut out a rectange, sew it up, and ka-bam! $3 pillowcase! You get about 3(?) cases out of a yard, if you cut it the right way! :cheese: And you get to choose pretty colors! :p

gthlvrmx
January 17th, 2012, 07:08 PM
A top bun or braided top bun held with spin pins. :)

Carissamarie08
January 17th, 2012, 07:11 PM
My hair never gets to bad of tangles honestly. It pretty much just stays put. My hair only tangles when wet, but when dry not very much.

airmid
January 17th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Carissamarie08: You are so so lucky!! My hair tangles if you look at it!

Should I wear this sock bun at the top of my head or the nape of my neck, by the way? It feels most comfortable at the nape of my neck but will it stay in better overnight if at the top of my head?

islandboo
January 17th, 2012, 08:46 PM
If you want to wear braids, I braid my hair with a ribbon (halved with the midpoint at the top of the braid, then the ribbon braided in with 2 of the 3 strands). That way you can use the ends to loosely tie off the braid without using an elastic.

gthlvrmx
January 17th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Carissamarie08: You are so so lucky!! My hair tangles if you look at it!

Should I wear this sock bun at the top of my head or the nape of my neck, by the way? It feels most comfortable at the nape of my neck but will it stay in better overnight if at the top of my head?

Try that, right on top. I think you'll sleep more comfortably and its easier on your neck bones. You do not want to worry about problems there in the first place. Plus, you can walk out of the house with a neat sock bun. :)

gracenotes
January 17th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Double braids! They stay in all night, they're comfortable to sleep on, and they make pretty waves. If you're worried about damage at the ends, I second the suggestion of scrunchies. They are very kind to hair :) I've also found that heavily oiling just the ends of my braids before I go to bed cuts down on damage significantly.

joflakes
January 18th, 2012, 12:31 AM
I have nothing to add other than I read the thread title as....'Hairstyles for Sheep' :lol:

My mistake!

fridgee
January 18th, 2012, 02:57 AM
I have nothing to add other than I read the thread title as....'Hairstyles for Sheep' :lol:

My mistake!

Hahaha that would be an AWESOME thread! :cheese:

Back to SLEEP styles ;) if you like the waves from braids make a braided bun on top of your head and hold with spin pins. You don't need to tie off the braid just tuck the ends under before pinning :)

airmid
January 18th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Thank you all for the ideas everyone!
And, hahahahahaha, hairstyles for sheep! :laugh: Awesome! ;)

Where I've been having such horrible shedding (doctor today, yay! figure this out!), will wearing the bun at the top of my head pull on the hair? High ponytails do that, don't they? I want to avoid anything that pulls at the hair as much as possible.
I wore it at the nape of my neck last night, because I fell asleep before anyone else responded, hahaha, it seemed to work quite well though my bun got pretty floppy by morning! :)

theresajensen
January 18th, 2012, 06:46 AM
I actually wear a du rag for sleep, with a high bun under, works perfectly :)

RitaPG
January 18th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Thank you all for the ideas everyone!
And, hahahahahaha, hairstyles for sheep! :laugh: Awesome! ;)

Where I've been having such horrible shedding (doctor today, yay! figure this out!), will wearing the bun at the top of my head pull on the hair? High ponytails do that, don't they? I want to avoid anything that pulls at the hair as much as possible.
I wore it at the nape of my neck last night, because I fell asleep before anyone else responded, hahaha, it seemed to work quite well though my bun got pretty floppy by morning! :)
As long as the braid or braided bun is done more or less loosely, you shouldn't have a problem with pulling. Also, a satin scrunchie as a ponytail holder is much gentler on the hair and doesn't pull at all like regular hair elastics.So even if you do a pony or a braid on top of your head and then sleep with your hair up and above your pillow, you shouldn't worry about it pulling too much hair.
Hope this makes sense :o

Maelyssa
January 18th, 2012, 07:20 AM

My mistake!

Ok that made me crack up completely! Lol Awesome start to my morning actually.

And yes, I highly advocate searching your local stores for a scrunchie or other cloth based hair holder. It will be a lifesaver, or rather hair saver.

joflakes
January 18th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Sorry to sidetrack the thread but on the topic of sheep: http://media.threadless.com/product/865/zoom.gif :lol:

When I had long hair I used to braid it like a lot of people have suggested, either into two or four english braids depending on how lazy I was feeling! Always looked lovely with braid waves.

CSallaround
January 18th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I sleep with my hair loose often because I am too tired or just lazy to put it up before sleep. Or else I will braid it, french, regular or a rope braid. I've tried the sock bun as well but I didn't really get the hang of it yet.
Nice to see others here following Loepsie, she's one of my fav youtubers :)

Hairstyles for sheep - genius hahahah xD

airmid
January 18th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Ohmygoodness! I asked my mom if she knew where to get satin pillowcases, and she didn't know. However, she had to go to Wal-Mart, and when she walked in the door, she found satin pillowcases for 3$! So she got me one!! :D I now have a satin pillowcase, yay! Next stop.... scrunchies!

MissAlida
January 19th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Way easier and cheaper than scrunchies: if you have some old tighs you don't need anymore...cut the leg part into one inch strips. You'll get scrunchie shaped pieces, it's 100% safe for hair, and you can tie your braids off with them.

Eirelin
January 19th, 2012, 09:24 PM
This is my favorite way to sleep, with bandannas on top of my head: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=83181.

I have tried the sock bun, but it likes to move around (I am not a heavy sleeper; I toss and turn a lot), and the curls fall out the next day after only an hour or so.

But the bandannas hold it all night, and I can make it really curly with 8 of them, mildly curly with 6, and just soft waves with 4. Sometimes I don't really want any curls, so 2 bandannas will give me the volume and very little wave.

Maybe some time I will get a couple more and try it with 10 to see it if will get really, really curly :)

whimaway
January 20th, 2012, 01:11 AM
For anyone with curls or waves that wants to preserve them, the ponytail at the top of your head with a scrunchie is also a good way to go. You can drape your hair over a satin pillow case (or stuff it in a cap) and it will have less flyaways. This is also known as pinneappling :cheese:

I also like a standard low braid though. :)

Of the Fae
January 20th, 2012, 04:32 AM
I make six braids and wrap them up in a bunch then pin it up. It's a fun style day and night, and it makes for very pretty waves!

Kelikea
January 20th, 2012, 04:59 AM
I just started trying a single rope braid, coiled once and pinned with bunshead 3" pins. It only needs a hairband at the end and I just try to find a nice soft one. It creates nice waves if I spray it with water first and it is very comfortable to sleep in. Oh, and I wear it at the nape, and then wear a slumber cap I tried buns on top of the head for sleeping, but they were uncomfortable.

Fairy tale
January 23rd, 2012, 12:58 PM
I love the sock bun but you get more curls than waves if you want a different look more waves this method works really well
http://www.youtube.com/user/lilithedarkmoon?feature=watch#p/u/44/m1DJCyzpM7k

jlo8937
January 23rd, 2012, 10:56 PM
Sock buns are so easy to do and they stay in your hair all night without any pins or damaging hair accessories. I am also interested in getting a satin pillow case. I have heard such good things about it. I will probably go buy one now that I have read all these posts about how good they are for your hair.

jlo8937
January 23rd, 2012, 10:59 PM
I wonder if a satin pillow case will have any effect on keeping my hair from getting oily overnight. No matter if I wash my hair before I go to bed it is always oily when I wake up. Does anyone know if a satin pillow case will make a difference on how oily it is when I get up.

Amarante
January 23rd, 2012, 11:34 PM
I actually wear a du rag for sleep, with a high bun under, works perfectly :)

LOL I use a du rag too! I put it on over my satin sleepcap. :)

Revontuletar
January 24th, 2012, 12:08 AM
The best thing I have ever tried has been a simple scrunchie bun. Twist your hair up into a bun and put a scrunchie around it to hold it in place. I used to get tons of split ends but since I started doing this I haven't had even half as many!

Mommyof4
January 24th, 2012, 12:51 AM
LOL ROFL I glanced at this thread on the main page, and said ?!?! huh ?!?! "hairstyles for sheep"????

I was like, dang, we really are branching out at LHC :D

hahahaha... um yeah... It's time for some sleep!! :p

growfro
January 27th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I gather my hair on top of my head, twist it around itself into a bun and secure it with a 2 bobby pins. It might end up falling out by morning, but I usually wake up in the same position I feel asleep in.

MamaCimino
January 27th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I wonder if a satin pillow case will have any effect on keeping my hair from getting oily overnight. No matter if I wash my hair before I go to bed it is always oily when I wake up. Does anyone know if a satin pillow case will make a difference on how oily it is when I get up.
I seem to have that same problem, and I'm not sure if the satin pillow case will make much difference. In my own experience if I allow my hair to dry before I goto bed it looked a lot better than if it was still wet/damp, especially if I blow dry my hair. Good luck!

BBdck1
February 15th, 2012, 04:08 AM
I read about the sock bun here and I thought it was an amazing idea! I tried it 30min ago and had the hardest time getting my ends to roll up. My ends are SUPER stiff and would not cooperate. 15min later, after cutting the sock in half and making the hole in the middle bigger, I have what resembles a bird's nest on top of my head with ends sticking in every directions (it doesn't help that I have layered hair). 15 min after that, I have what can be called a bun (more or less) :). Hopefully it will go better next time.

Any advice on how to get stiff ends to roll in easier would be much appreciated! I really love the sock bun idea!

rock007junkie
February 15th, 2012, 06:34 AM
My favorite style to sleep right now is headband curls. It's incredibly comfortable and when I wake up my hair is already set.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=83476&highlight=headband+curls

Cirafly24
February 15th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I wear a low beebutt bun at the nape of my neck, held with a scrunchie...then I put a satin sleep cap over it all. I get nice curly ends with this bun. There's a photo of these bunwaves in my album if you want to see.

elfgirl
February 15th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I either have my hair in a regular single braid, or I gently twist it up fairly high on my head in a bun. I generally stick to the braid though, as I'm so used to doing it.