PDA

View Full Version : EO Hair Mist?

Amber_Maiden
January 17th, 2012, 10:29 AM
I'm wondering if I put my favorite scents- patchouli and sandalwood- EOs in a bottle mixed with some water if that would be good for my hair? I'm not even sure if those EOs are good for hair, or if they would last on my hair... What do you think? Anyone have any advice/experience with creating hair mists? I want to make one that smells good, and is good for my hair in some way...

Should I use a carrier oil, like Jojoba oil?

Maelyssa
January 17th, 2012, 12:43 PM
I'm considering doing this exact thing myself so I'm glad you mentioned it. I would think that it would be best to use a carrier oil because if the EOs come into contact with the scalp or your skin at all it can be a little harsh.

I know we have either a thread or an article that I can't seem to find to link to right now but it explains which oils absorb into the hair and which dont. That may help you decide which carrier to use.

I suggest getting a small mister outlet or just partially filling the water bottle and storing it in a cool dark place to keep the EOs fresh.

You might also want to look up a thread we have about perfumes in hair. I came across it a few months ago and a few ladies talked about misting their hair with EOs for fragrance. If I find either link I'll be back to post them.

Oh, and if you want to try some new scents there are a few great etsy vendors with some unique & delicious EO perfume oils that you can buy in sample sizes.

Long_hair_bear
January 17th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I know the lady who makes my conditioner makes a spray fragrance for hair. :)

http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/toadstoolhairandbody/0/0/80643

fridgee
January 17th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I don't think EOs are water soluble so they will just separate out from the water, I think that's why the carrier oil is needed as they are oil soluble. Maybe you could put a few drops of those EOs in your favourite hair oil (if use use it) to get the lovely fragrance? ETA: if its runny enough (so not virgin coconut oil or something) you can still put it in a mister bottle.

PrairieRose
January 17th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I tried this myself with sandalwood in water as a mister. I liked the smell but it did not last long at all. My sister put some EO in Coconut oil and water and she says that the smell does stay in her hair longer.

Amber_Maiden
January 17th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I'm considering doing this exact thing myself so I'm glad you mentioned it. I would think that it would be best to use a carrier oil because if the EOs come into contact with the scalp or your skin at all it can be a little harsh.

I know we have either a thread or an article that I can't seem to find to link to right now but it explains which oils absorb into the hair and which dont. That may help you decide which carrier to use.

I suggest getting a small mister outlet or just partially filling the water bottle and storing it in a cool dark place to keep the EOs fresh.

You might also want to look up a thread we have about perfumes in hair. I came across it a few months ago and a few ladies talked about misting their hair with EOs for fragrance. If I find either link I'll be back to post them.

Oh, and if you want to try some new scents there are a few great etsy vendors with some unique & delicious EO perfume oils that you can buy in sample sizes.

I'll look the thread up! And I know all about Etsy sellers and their amazing perfumes! I have favorites...

I know the lady who makes my conditioner makes a spray fragrance for hair. :)

http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/toadstoolhairandbody/0/0/80643

I think this has come up before with me in another thread. Her shipping to Canada is quite high, and I also don't like glycerin or proteins :(

I tried this myself with sandalwood in water as a mister. I liked the smell but it did not last long at all. My sister put some EO in Coconut oil and water and she says that the smell does stay in her hair longer.

hmmm... That makes sense....