PDA

View Full Version : Question about damaged hair

Of the Fae
January 17th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Hey you guys :)
I have a question about damaged hair.
I haven't trimmed for a year and three months, and it worked out fine.. but now I'm noticing a lot of breakage along the ends, and the ends feel very dry and rough.
I barely have any splits at all, so that's not the issue, but I'm still wondering wether I should moisturize or just trim, and when I should trim (which I'd rather avoid), if I can get away with a microtrim or about 2 cms, or it really has to come of where the damage may start.
Eitherway.. help!

joliherb
January 17th, 2012, 06:33 AM
I am wondering the same. I will not be trimming.

CSallaround
January 17th, 2012, 06:39 AM
I think you should trim it, but give it some moisture and a good deep treatment first and then consider how much to take off afterwards so you can see if/how much it helped

ktani
January 17th, 2012, 06:40 AM
This is a common complaint this time of year. Many people are applying too much product to their ends, especially damaged ends as well as their hair in general because of the cold and low humidity.

A humidifyer can help and you can clarify if needed, condition and try this, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

It has prevented at least 3 members here from doing unnecessary trims. Their hair was not damaged in all cases but very dry.

rock007junkie
January 17th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Moisturize for now. Try to kep your ends tucked in (like in a bun) and seaech ad destroy those pesky little split ends :-)

Of the Fae
January 17th, 2012, 06:47 AM
@Ktani, does this mean that a silicone conditioner or mask will help? Or is coconut oil perhaps a better guess?
I use SLS shampoo and silicone conditioner in my twice in a week washing routine.

joliherb
January 17th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Honey Geek, "This is a common complaint this time of year. Many people are applying too much product to their ends, especially damaged ends as well as their hair in general because of the cold and low humidity."

How much of what type of product is best? Thank you.

ktani
January 17th, 2012, 06:52 AM
@Ktani, does this mean that a silicone conditioner or mask will help? Or is coconut oil perhaps a better guess?
I use SLS shampoo and silicone conditioner in my twice in a week washing routine.

From the research in the article I linked, mineral oil is more effective on skin, and from results here on hair, in helping to keep in this case added moisture (water) using it on damp hair, from evaporating as quickly as it can using silicone, just natural sebum, or vegetable oils. And the beauty of it is you need very little, drop(s) only for it to work. How many drops will vary with hair length and thickness. The idea is to use as little as possible because that is all that is needed.

joliherb
January 17th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Thank you Honey Geek!

ktani
January 17th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Thank you Honey Geek!

You are very welcome and Welcome to LHC.

joliherb
January 17th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Thank you! I just started to follow your blog. It was very helpful to understand the mineral oil questions I was having! I'm going to buy some today.

ktani
January 17th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Thank you! I just started to follow your blog. It was very helpful to understand the mineral oil questions I was having! I'm going to buy some today.

I am glad it helped!

Of the Fae
January 17th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I don't have any loose mineral oil. I do have vaseline but I don't think that will help :P

I'm trying olive now :)

ktani
January 17th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I don't have any loose mineral oil. I do have vaseline but I don't think that will help :P

I'm trying olive now :)

Vaseline will be heavy and greasy. Try the olive oil first, since you have it. Clear baby oil is inexpensive, when you are ready to try it.