PDA

View Full Version : Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate

cooklaezo13
January 16th, 2012, 09:22 PM
The shampoo I used to use has Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate in it. I really liked this shampoo, but I gave it up to see how my hair would fare without shampoo. My hair seemed great at first but lately it seems to be too dry when I wash with baking soda, and too greasy when I do a conditioner-only wash. I'm thinking of going back to my old shampoo once a week. I am wondering is Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate a harsh surfactant like SLS? Does it dry the scalp too much? Do you think that it is a hair/scalp friendly ingredient to have in a shampoo?

The shampoo in question is Lily of the Desert Aloe 80 Organics Shampoo

Thank you all so much for contributing your knowledge :)

HintOfMint
January 16th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I've heard that baking soda is actually quite drying for your hair. It's extremely basic and ruffles up the hair cuticle far more than normal shampoo. Usually it's used in conjunction with an acid rinse like with apple cider vinegar.

Shampoo works for many/most people for a reason. It's a good balance between conditioning and cleaning.

spike316
January 16th, 2012, 11:18 PM
It's all about finding what works for you personally, if your hair likes humectants though you might want to try putting some honey in your baking soda wash, or you can increase your vinegar rinse, or maybe even add a bit of coconut milk to the baking soda wash. I personally can't do the baking soda wash because I have some very porous ends from pre lhc damage and it just clings to that kind of stuff. @_@