PDA

View Full Version : shea butter

bubblyredhead
January 16th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I just tried unrefined raw shea butter mixed with coconut oil and argan oil and the shea butter left my hair sticky and more dry than before, does anyone have any ideas or similar experiences? I have used shea butter in store bought products before without these results.

HintOfMint
January 16th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Store bought products have so many other ingredients in them to mitigate the stickiness of shea butter that sometimes I think that the shea butter is just for advertising, not for any actual effect on the hair.

Actual shea butter is pretty difficult to work with precisely because its heavy and sticky. I've only seen really coarse hairtypes work with shea butter. My hair likes it but I still have to be careful as to not overdo it. What helps it spread is if you warm it a bit and use it over damp hair. It still feels more like product though, and adds a bit of weight to my hair and straightens my waves.

Mearwynna
January 16th, 2012, 09:32 PM
I've used shea butter in a contioning cream. I melted it and then added it to a nice conditioner and used that on my hair. The recipe is on this site somewhere, I forget what it's called. I also have used it on the ends of wet hair. Just a little dab and rub it through just on the ends. It is one of the more difficult oils to use, but works well in combination with other things.

Red_Wednesday
January 16th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I had a tough time using Shea butter as well. You're not alone.

PrairieRose
January 16th, 2012, 09:47 PM
I use it on my ends. I have to rub it real good between my fingers to kind of softens it or melt it, then I put it on my ends. I only use a tiny bit, less is more!

CurlyCap
January 16th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Yep, straighter hair is so much more unforgiving up shea butter. You have to take great pains to apply very little. My only advice for the raw stuff it to take so little you feel ridiculous, rub it in your palms until it's just a shiny layer, and then apply to your hair. Your hair might feel waxed at first, but it'll sink in.

The good news is that shea melts BEAUTIFULLY and mixes really well with other products. Try melting half a teaspoon, dipping your fingers in, and then applying like EVOO. It'll help you apply less and spread it more easily. If that doesn't work, try putting some melted shea in your favorite conditioner or leave-in.