PDA

View Full Version : Question about castor oil....

Schrei777
January 16th, 2012, 08:01 PM
So I have been wanting to try the oil cleansing method for my skin. I looked around my grocery store everywhere for castor oil. I was hoping to find some in the nature's section but no such luck. I ended up finding some in the medicine section, but it's a generic brand and it says it's a stimulant laxative :blushing:. I bought it anyway because it was cheap and I figured castor oil is castor oil. Am I right, or is laxative castor oil different? Should I look for a different kind?

Anywhere
January 16th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Does it by chance come with an ingredient list? If it only says castor oil then there is a pretty good bet that it actually is castor oil. If it has other junk in it, then it's not pure castor oil and I would be cautious.

And.. well.. castor oil is castor oil as far as I'm aware. :shrug:

Schrei777
January 16th, 2012, 08:23 PM
It says active ingredient: Castor Oil USP 100%, and I don't see any other ingredients listed so I guess it will work. Thanks :).

joliherb
January 16th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Castor oil, is castor oil. I would use it.

Viscountess
January 16th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I got mine from Safeway. Its not 'special' its... castor oil!

Schrei777
January 16th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys, I figured it was all the same but just wanted to double check :).

CurlyCap
January 16th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Yep, that's it.

Castor oil's original purpose in most Western Stores was as a laxative. About a teaspoon will fix what ails ya. ;)

If it's a hundred percent pure, it's safe to use on your hair. It's much like 100% mineral oil is used often to remove makeup, but we here at LHC know that it's great for retaining moisture in the hair.

There are grades of castor oil and sources (organic, cold-pressed, light vs dark), but if it's your first run with castor oil, what you've got is a good starting place. If you want to try something else after this bottle is done, then it might be worth heading over to the health and beauty store for something fancy.

Just remember, it's sooooooo thick. A little goes a long way!

Schrei777
January 16th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Yep, that's it.

Castor oil's original purpose in most Western Stores was as a laxative. About a teaspoon will fix what ails ya. ;)

If it's a hundred percent pure, it's safe to use on your hair. It's much like 100% mineral oil is used often to remove makeup, but we here at LHC know that it's great for retaining moisture in the hair.

There are grades of castor oil and sources (organic, cold-pressed, light vs dark), but if it's your first run with castor oil, what you've got is a good starting place.

Just remember, it's sooooooo thick. A little goes a long way!

Yeah I was curious about whether the organic cold press kind would be better for my skin (the oil cleansing method). But I guess since I already bought it I'll just go for it, it's a small bottle anyway.

Jessibear2854
January 16th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Yep, that's what I use. Have you tried it yet? I'm curious on your thoughts after you try it. I've been doing it on and off for a few months and really like it.

As a side question, do people use Castor oil in their hair?

Schrei777
January 16th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Yep, that's what I use. Have you tried it yet? I'm curious on your thoughts after you try it. I've been doing it on and off for a few months and really like it.

As a side question, do people use Castor oil in their hair?

I haven't yet, tonight will be the first try :D. I will let you know how it goes. And from what I have read on here a lot of people use it on there hair for health and growth. If you do a quick thread search I'm sure you'll find a bunch of information on it :).

CaityBear
January 17th, 2012, 12:56 AM
That was the first stuff I ever used. Then I found a really big bottle of castor oil at a health food store and am currently using that.

MonaLisa
January 17th, 2012, 01:11 AM
Yes, castor oil is laxative.
It's great for hair and especially for hair growth/less shed. I use it for scalp massages, mixed with some other thingies, and also some on my lengths..
I also use it sometimes on eyelashes and eyebrows, but I usually forget.
Also, believe it or not...when I have skin problem, like a pimple once a month due to PMS, i put castor oil on it and it dies :D

Allychan
January 17th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Castor oil is great for the skin, I do the oil cleans with it every now and then too. It's an antibacterial which is great for the skin and antifungal which is great for the scalp

bouclée
January 17th, 2012, 03:03 AM
Castor oil is great for the skin indeed. There is a long thread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265&page=161) about castor oil for hair growth. It seems pretty good for that purpose too...

emeraldfaery
January 17th, 2012, 07:44 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I've heard so much about castor oil, but I didn't think it was the same as the laxative stuff. Guess I'll be getting myself a bottle. I would love to see if it will help with my postpartum shedding.