PDA

View Full Version : Mistakes, Damage, And wavy hair in disguise

longblondetan
January 16th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Ok, so... here it goes... I've been growing my hair from a pixie for 2 years and 2 months and I知 about 2 inches from BSL. My hair is in "alright" condition, especially considering I知 a dedicated bottle blonde, very little splits, but a few white dots on the ends, I have given up direct heat, which is very hard as I知 a hairdresser and having... "fixed" hair is important on work days. So early this month I thought I wanted to grow out my natural color (I am a mousy dark blonde), I did go through with coloring it... We filled it with deposit only color, and colored over with permanent color... after we were finished I looked in the mirror and was overwhelmed with absolute and utter, REGRET. I got home, sobbed, sobbed and sobbed some more. I went into work the next day, and changed it back... It took all day, we bleached with ammonia free bleach, toned, and then bleached with normal bleach in foils. My hair hates me for it. Obviously it has been an issue since then, now I have no doubt in my capabilities to repair the protein deficiency and the moisture depletion. After about 2 weeks of diligence in hair rehab, my hair is already almost back to normal, (not including one foiled piece that is still stretchy and snappy when wet).
So after giving up the heat and letting hair air dry, I've realized, my hair, which I thought was a 1b or 1c, is actually a 2b or 2c, in the underneath layers, but on top, no curl at all!
So is it possible, to damage the wave out of your hair, and if so, is it possible to repair hair enough to get them back? And what should I be doing to encourage my natural waves and keep them smooth? I will not go cone free, tried it, saw no change, and honestly I think my hair needs them. And do you have any suggestions for kick starting my hair rehab?

darklyndsea
January 16th, 2012, 07:41 PM
It's possible that it's just your hair type. My mom thought her hair was completely straight her whole life, but she got layers recently and it's curly underneath. She does blowdry, so it's possible it's damage with her too, but I don't and my hair is curlier underneath than on top, too.

To encourage waves/curls, it's all about moisture. You could try CWCing, which needs the first conditioner to be cone-free (for most people), and might or might not need the second one to be cone-free too, depending on how quickly you get buildup. So it might not be a good solution for you, depending on how much you're against cone-freeness. If you're keeping the cones, you need to add moisture before you use coney products, because the cones will keep them out if you don't.

longblondetan
January 16th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Ok, I already CWC, but I do still use sulfates, and I clarify about once a month... So I know it's not build up or anything, what can I do for moisture before cones?