PDA

View Full Version : Kickstaring a growth stall

PinkyCat
January 16th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Is it possible?

I'm having one. :mad: I've been taking my vitamins, massaging my scalp with my tangle teezer every night, eating more protein, exercising. Nothing's working.

Anybody have any tricks?

jacqueline101
January 16th, 2012, 07:13 AM
You could try monistat.

XcaliburGirl
January 16th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Make sure you are getting enough water and also, try your best not to think about it too much. If you aren't checking it everyday you might notice growth more.

You could look at the threads for castor oil, rooibos tea, or Monistat. I haven't tried any of them myself, but other people have reported success with increasing their growth rate. Just make sure you do your research before putting stuff on your scalp.

hisprincess
January 16th, 2012, 07:55 AM
This is the one thing I really, really don't want to do...but keeping the hair up for a while seems to make a dramatic difference for me.

Long_hair_bear
January 16th, 2012, 07:58 AM
I'm trying monistat as my hair doesn't grow fast enough for my own patience. :D I've only just started though, so I can't tell you if it works. :)

theodora
January 16th, 2012, 08:00 AM
I had really good results after doing the redbush spray (combined with drinking it for good measure) this summer. It was kind of a pain so I stopped but it gave me amazing regrowth. Definitely worth a try. Can't say I've tried Monistat but it's also worth a try potentially.

PinkyCat
January 16th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Well, I guess I can't avoid putting goop of some sort on my scalp. Ho hum.

Long_hair_bear
January 16th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Well, I guess I can't avoid putting goop of some sort on my scalp. Ho hum.

Well, I didn't goop it, per se. I diluted it with water and massaged it in. :D

theodora
January 16th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Oh and how could I forget! Pandora's mix! It is sooo good, I use it on my scalp, on my lengths, even on my puppies (it makes their long coat gorgeous). And it's not too greasy at all. At the moment I've changed her recipe by using argan oil instead of coconut oil because solid coconut oil in winter annoys me.
Here is the link:
http://pandoraslocks.blogspot.com/2011/01/pandoras-soothing-scalp-and-growth.html

Linnet
January 16th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Hi PinkyCat! Don't know what vitamins you are taking, but I found Biotin brilliant for growth. I gradually increased the dose starting with 1000 micrograms (1 milligram) for the first month, then 2500 micrograms for the next month, then 3000 micrograms for next month and am now on 5000 micrograms daily. (I understand that it is better to increase it gradually to avoid breakouts and I haven't experienced any skin problems at all). Hair and nails grow really fast.

Mountaingrrl
January 16th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Benign neglect. Put away the measuring tape for a couple of months, turn your attention elsewhere, and your growth will happen when you're not looking.

PinkyCat
January 16th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks everybody. I guess I need to relinquish the tape measure for now.

Theodora, that Pandora stuff looks awesome!

catamonica
January 16th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Try horse shampoo. From Wall Mart. In 09 my hair grew fourteen inches to one inch past my
waist. Putting it up in a bun promtes growth. My hair is slowly growing again. I only wear it down once or twice a week.

torrilin
January 16th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Is it possible?

I'm having one. :mad: I've been taking my vitamins, massaging my scalp with my tangle teezer every night, eating more protein, exercising. Nothing's working.

Anybody have any tricks?

What are you defining as a "stall"? My hair grows pretty fast, and the absolute oftenest I'd measure is every 3 months, which means I'd have 2-3" of growth under ideal conditions. Mostly, I don't measure at all... I just wait for it to hit body part milestones. For someone with more normal growth speeds, 3 months of growth might be 1-1.5". So compared to me, it might seem like a stall, but that's the furthest thing from the truth. Almost everyone on these boards grows around the normal rate.

If you're really afraid of a terminal stall, I'd look for your hair to be the same length for at least 2 straight years with no measurable growth and no trims. Most of the folks who are at terminal say it needs to be at least a year with no growth.

Lissandria
January 16th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Try some castor oil perhaps if you're not keen on the idea of Monistat? Im new to castor oil but the peeps on the thread seem to get good results from it.. Less shedding and more growth.

dwell_in_safety
January 16th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Scalp massages and keeping my hair up have seemed to make my hair grow faster in the past. Whether they actually have had that effect or not, I don't know, but practicing a basic put-it-up-and-forget-about-it routine for a couple months may at least make you appreciate more fully the growth you do currently get.

PinkyCat
January 17th, 2012, 07:23 AM
What are you defining as a "stall"? My hair grows pretty fast, and the absolute oftenest I'd measure is every 3 months, which means I'd have 2-3" of growth under ideal conditions. Mostly, I don't measure at all... I just wait for it to hit body part milestones. For someone with more normal growth speeds, 3 months of growth might be 1-1.5". So compared to me, it might seem like a stall, but that's the furthest thing from the truth. Almost everyone on these boards grows around the normal rate.

If you're really afraid of a terminal stall, I'd look for your hair to be the same length for at least 2 straight years with no measurable growth and no trims. Most of the folks who are at terminal say it needs to be at least a year with no growth.

I guess what I mean is a "severe slow-down". For instance, when I color my roots, it usually takes a week for me to notice the tiny white regrowth of grays popping in. That's how I measure my monthly growth - measure the grays. This month it has taken 2.5 weeks to see the "glitter" coming back in.

LaurelSpring
January 17th, 2012, 07:58 AM
I take my hair skin and nail vitamins and I definately think the castor oil helps with shedding and maybe growth. One thing that I think made a big difference was adding gelatin. I started using the Knox for Nails but its kind of expensive and hard to find so now I am just using the plain knox dissolved in some juice before bed. I think I saw some gelatin capsules once also I need to look for those again.

* update - I found the capsules and ordered some to try

http://www.vitacost.com/Thompson-Hydrolyzed-Gelatin

Another thing that I think has kick started some growth is doing monthly microtrims. Someone on another thread said that a barber told her to trim it the width of the scissors once a month and it would grow to her butt. I started doing this and I think it did get things moving.

Amber_Maiden
January 17th, 2012, 08:30 AM
You could try patience. I know it's hard... but give your hair time. It will grow.

torrilin
January 17th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Ok, so you're checking growth on a roughly 1-2 week basis. That's about 6-12 times as often as me. No wonder you feel like your growth has stalled! I often have measurable growth in 2 weeks, but it's still well within the margin of error if I got out a tape measure and measured. I'm often off by a half inch or so, which means I need at least an inch of growth to be sure there's been length gain.

Measure less. You'll feel better.

jojo
January 17th, 2012, 12:01 PM
My hairs growth slows down as it gets longer, hair doesn't always grow an exact 1/2" or if your lucky an inch every month, as long as your getting 6" a year your OK. You say you dye your hair another possibility is maybe your ends are damaged and may be breaking which would also give the impression that your growth has slowed down. Though you did say your roots are taking longer to grow so maybe the back is growing at a normal speed and your front is resting?

PinkyCat
January 17th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Ok, so you're checking growth on a roughly 1-2 week basis. That's about 6-12 times as often as me. No wonder you feel like your growth has stalled! I often have measurable growth in 2 weeks, but it's still well within the margin of error if I got out a tape measure and measured. I'm often off by a half inch or so, which means I need at least an inch of growth to be sure there's been length gain.

Measure less. You'll feel better.

No - I stated I measure once a month. It has taken a week and a half longer than usual for me to notice the grays popping in.

"I guess what I mean is a "severe slow-down". For instance, when I color my roots, it usually takes a week for me to notice the tiny white regrowth of grays popping in. That's how I measure my monthly growth - measure the grays. This month it has taken 2.5 weeks to see the "glitter" coming back in."

Jojo, No damage to speak of, never any splits or breakage. Just a growth slow down. I clarified today for the first time in a while - maybe that will help.