PDA

View Full Version : Water quality testing...says it's fine!?

sweet&sourkiwi
January 15th, 2012, 07:38 PM
So...I just tested my water quality with a home test...and everything checked out fine!! That's nice...but I am SHOCKED! I have a film in my pans if I boil water...I had to scrub iron out of my tub using 3 pumice bars...it took 3 different kinds of chelators to clean my sinks...and my blonde friend says her hair turns a bit pink when she showers here!!

So now I'm wondering is the culprit for my hair woes something other than the water?? Or are these tests bunko?

(Getting my thyroid checked TOMORROW. Dad/aunts/grandparents all have hypo...I'd written my dryness off as bad water but perhaps not!)

spike316
January 15th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Hmm, are your nails brittle and are you experiencing extensive shedding? Both of those are good indicators of a thyroid problem, although it is hereditary so I would still get that checked. Based on what you're saying about the water though, at the very least a shower filter may not be a bad idea.

silverjen
January 15th, 2012, 07:49 PM
I would be curious about what, exactly, the water test is looking for. It may not be testing for mineral content.

shikara
January 15th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Im not sure a out the test. I just googled my city water quality and got a read from that. If you cannot get a filter right away, try lemon rinses or some other chekating method once in awhile. As I learned here tho, lemon rinses can be a little drying, so top it off with conditioner.

jeanniet
January 15th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Minerals in the water don't mean you have bad water quality (even if it's bad for your hair), so the test may not have been relevant to what you were looking for. Water quality issues generally have to do with things that are detrimental to health, such as nitrates or bacteria.

If you're on city water, your water department should have a breakdown of what's in the water. If you're on a well, any local company that sells water filtration systems can run a basic test that will show hardness, mineral content, etc. Just bring them a sample. This won't test for bacteria and contaminants, though--you have to pay for that.

FrozenBritannia
January 15th, 2012, 08:30 PM
So...I just tested my water quality with a home test...and everything checked out fine!! That's nice...but I am SHOCKED! I have a film in my pans if I boil water...I had to scrub iron out of my tub using 3 pumice bars...it took 3 different kinds of chelators to clean my sinks...and my blonde friend says her hair turns a bit pink when she showers here!!

So now I'm wondering is the culprit for my hair woes something other than the water?? Or are these tests bunko?

(Getting my thyroid checked TOMORROW. Dad/aunts/grandparents all have hypo...I'd written my dryness off as bad water but perhaps not!)

How old is your hot water tank?

sweet&sourkiwi
January 16th, 2012, 10:19 AM
How old is your hot water tank?

From 1918! It's a big old apartment boiler, one serious massive tank. That's why I thought I would have such bad water (corroded old pipes....)

The test was for PH, nitrates, mineral content, iron, chlorine, and copper...and they all showed up fine! I still have some sort of deposit on fixtures and pans that I boil water in though...??

Thank you for the thyroid suggestions...I'm going to get tested this week!

sweet&sourkiwi
January 16th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Hmm, are your nails brittle and are you experiencing extensive shedding? Both of those are good indicators of a thyroid problem, although it is hereditary so I would still get that checked. Based on what you're saying about the water though, at the very least a shower filter may not be a bad idea.

Nails are hangin' tough but my hair is breaking off everywhere, it's very bad...I'm not sure that it's shedding or just breaking, the pieces are very long but the breakage apparent in the hair is top to bottom despite TLC!

I did do a water filter and didn't think it was working much...perhaps because the water isn't the issue!

FrozenBritannia
January 16th, 2012, 11:15 AM
From 1918! It's a big old apartment boiler, one serious massive tank. That's why I thought I would have such bad water (corroded old pipes....)

The test was for PH, nitrates, mineral content, iron, chlorine, and copper...and they all showed up fine! I still have some sort of deposit on fixtures and pans that I boil water in though...??

Thank you for the thyroid suggestions...I'm going to get tested this week!

The inside of the tank is probably full of iron deposits, thus the discolouration in the tub and sinks, (from the hot water) and your friends blonde hair. There even may be rusting happening. The deposit in the pots, if it is white and goes away when vinegar touches it is calcium.