PDA

View Full Version : I have found my stylist

AnqeIicDemise
January 15th, 2012, 11:09 AM
And I love her!

This is the same woman who helped my mother get a better cut and salvaged what was left out of the severely uneven mess another stylist had done. Long story short, Mum had a cut back in May. She'd gone in for a trim (she's trying to grow out her hair), the woman was scissor happy and didn't know how to cut wavy hair. Mum had to get up in the middle of the cut after she realized the woman had basically cut a hole in her waves (i.e. she had tried to cut one chunk hoping to 'tame' it multiple times essentially leaving a huge hole in the canopy.) :run::run:
I'd heard amazing things about the stylists of our salons and this one in particular was relatively new. I think she'd just graduated from her academy about six months before and transferred from one of our other locations. Since I booked for this woman a lot I noticed a trend of new people coming in to visit her since she had the most availability and a lower price point range. She also kept a majority of these new, stylist-less clients. It intrigued me to say the least.

So I took my mom to see her. Mom fell in love.

And my mother's quite outspoken about things she hates, people she dislikes , as well as stylist caliber.

As much bad juju Mother and I have between one another (I admit we're very much alike in temperament . She's dominant. I'm dominant.. its just a bad mix.) I do like to see her smile and feel good about herself. It meant a lot to me to be able to see her LOVE her cut and walk out smiling instead of breaking down into tears like she had before.

Last week I had my color done by A. As it turned out A is V's colorist and spoke highly of V's skill. I remembered V was the one who cut my mama's hair and I had told her I'd stop by for a trim in January.

So I did.

I was nervous. Considering the horrible experiences I've had earlier that year by someone else, I am a bit jumpy. She listened to my goals and like A, she thought I was a little crazy at my length goals (in a good way crazy) but was supportive. V confessed she really likes long hair she simply lacks dedication to go for 'extreme lengths' (i.e anything past BSL).

It was the most surreal cut experience ever.

Most stylists like to pull my hair up, cut and eventually I end up with layers that I hate or just end up with hair much shorter than I ever wanted. V had me stand through out the cut. I really thought I was going to lose a lot of length, but she cut only an inch. So I'm no longer at WSL :( But my ends are much healthier. She only gave me a microtrim on the 'face framing layers' I'm trying to get rid of.

When I asked if I should go shorter she responded of 'Oh heaven's no! Your hair is quite healthy actually. I only saw a little bit of breakage and we took care of that already!"

:D

I really thought she'd have to chop off a huge chunk considering its been oh eight months since my last trim.

OH and she was even kind enough to blow dry my hair on cool setting without me asking. I did let her use the curling iron on my hair though. She had mentioned earlier that although she liked to cut her passion was for styling hair. I figured since I don't heat style normally having V or A use the tongs to create some quick waves once every few months wasn't going to kill me. So the deal we have now is that since I have a very boring cut and she likes to style she can play with my hair all she wants as long as she doesn't destroy my length.

I am so relieved at finding such a gem. I've struggled for 4 years since I moved up to WA to find someone like her!

Amber_Maiden
January 15th, 2012, 11:14 AM
That's awesome that you have found someone you can trust and stick with!!

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I feel the same about my wonderful stylist. She knows I have hair cut phobia and doesn't trim unless asked to.

AnqeIicDemise
January 15th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I feel the same about my wonderful stylist. She knows I have hair cut phobia and doesn't trim unless asked to.

Yeah, she's amazing. I can now understand why stylist-less clients who don't care who they see wind up with her on accident and keep coming back. She does know how to listen and provide a wonderful end result.

Celtic Morla
January 15th, 2012, 01:05 PM
You need to take V soem of the pics from the briad picture thread and have her try them out on you! Tell her that there' s a lot of LH's who would love to find a stylist who cna do braidinig well!! And it would serve her well if she ever ends up with a bride in her chair! I wanted a very nice updo for my wedding and the stylist wasn't up to it so I let him do what he wanted and I HATED it.

CashmereHair
January 15th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I also love my hairdresser! She never takes more of than I ask for. Unfortunately, she's gone on maternity :-(

FrozenBritannia
January 15th, 2012, 01:55 PM
You need to take V soem of the pics from the briad picture thread and have her try them out on you! Tell her that there' s a lot of LH's who would love to find a stylist who cna do braidinig well!! And it would serve her well if she ever ends up with a bride in her chair! I wanted a very nice updo for my wedding and the stylist wasn't up to it so I let him do what he wanted and I HATED it.

Oh this is such a good idea! Every updo I have ever had done has not been what I asked for.
Definately show her the sencha braid, that would be amazing for a bride, especially with a few loose tendrils around the face and a veil, sigh....

jacqueline101
January 15th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Finding the right stylist is everything.

jacqueline101
January 15th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Finding the right stylist is everything.

AnqeIicDemise
January 15th, 2012, 04:42 PM

You know, that's a good idea. I think I'll have her do some of that in a future appointment.

We had an artist that knew how to braid well. She learned how to do 'ethnic braiding' as word got out she knew how to do some beautiful french braids and became a sensation to the point that I believe she left to start her own salon. I always wanted to stop by and have her do one of the more complicated styles I've seen.

jeanniet
January 15th, 2012, 05:25 PM
"Oh, heaven's no!" I love it! I'm glad you found a stylist you like--four years of looking is a long time!