PDA

View Full Version : Kinky Curly Mermaids!

HappyHair87
January 15th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I LOVE the atmosphere here on LHC! I have been on many hair boards and this one out of all of them....is the most calming place to be on the internet!:cool:

There is soooooo many beautiful heads of hair on here!

I'm just starting to post more regularly on here...i slowed up a bit because i had chopped off my WL relaxed hair and decided to go natural. So i went to other boards to get help with learning to care for it properly. And now i know!:D

I know there is a Kinky 4's thread but i'm making this thread for those of us kinky/curly heads that want to grow to very long lengths and share our goals and daydreams about....hair!:lol:

I have a 3c/4a type of hair...i have a little 3b as well in the front. My short term goal is to grow my hair to BSL-MBL stretched by the end of this year. I hope to be back at WL(stretched) by next year....my ultimate goal is to have my hair reach between BSL-WL when curly.

Right now...my hair stretches to my armpit....however....it shrinks ALLLLLLLLLLL the way up to my neck/chin! I have crazy shrinkage! I'm kinda hoping that as it gets longer that the curls will become weighed down more so that it doesn't shrink as much:shrug:

Anyway...i just hope more Kinkies/Curlies will come in and share their inner mermaid thoughts and stories...and tips! :)

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Well, I'm a straighty but I do love dolphins and mermaids. :)

spidermom
January 15th, 2012, 10:29 AM
I'm not a kinky/curly either (except for a few odd hairs), but welcome, and I'm glad you like it here. We get waves of the grouchies from time to time. I hope it won't put you off.

Curly Hermione
January 15th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I'm a curly who would love long hair! Welcome!

HappyHair87
January 15th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks ladies!:waving:

I know Starr is whom i would consider a Kinky/Curly Mermaid...her hair is just....my goal!:agree::crush:

SO far what i have discovered about my natural hair is that....its almost like my relaxed hair....it loves to be co washed, loves water....however...it doesn't like cones too much so i limit my use on products that contain cones.

I can get my hair to feel soft and moisturized...it always is...but i would like more "sheen" to my hair...i know it won't have "shine" bc it's extremely curly. So i'm wondering what to use for that.

I CO wash every 1-3 days...i shampoo and deep condition and THOROUGHLY detangle once a week....i finger comb throughout the week.

I usually depend on leave-in conditioners for moisture, my hair is not a big fan of shea butter...i know it's advocated by a LOT of Naturals...but i only use it when i'm doing a style like two strand twists or braids.

Maktub
January 15th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Hi Happyhair87 ! I'm also glad you like it here, and congratulations on going natural and embracing your gorgeous hair ! Happy growing !! :flower:

princessp
January 15th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Welcome to LHC from a wurlie, but not as curly (2c/3a)! :)

MoonLover
January 15th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I'm a curly who wants mermaid hair! I've never had long hair because I never knew how to take care of it and the tangles usually made my mom (when I was little) or me (until the last few years ) chop it off. I'm mixed Mediterranean and my hair is mostly in the 3's except for a front patch which has always been kinky/coarse and has confused all hairdressers. I think I get it from my father who is North African, even though his hair is curly, not kinky.

HappyHair87, last year around this time my hair was barely APL stretched but shoulder length curly and now it is past APL curly. It takes us much longer to reach our goals but that's okay. I love my curls and always think of mermaids as having curly hair.

MsDarling
January 15th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I LOVE the atmosphere here on LHC! I have been on many hair boards and this one out of all of them....is the most calming place to be on the internet!:cool:

There is soooooo many beautiful heads of hair on here!

I'm just starting to post more regularly on here...i slowed up a bit because i had chopped off my WL relaxed hair and decided to go natural. So i went to other boards to get help with learning to care for it properly. And now i know!:D

I know there is a Kinky 4's thread but i'm making this thread for those of us kinky/curly heads that want to grow to very long lengths and share our goals and daydreams about....hair!:lol:

I have a 3c/4a type of hair...i have a little 3b as well in the front. My short term goal is to grow my hair to BSL-MBL stretched by the end of this year. I hope to be back at WL(stretched) by next year....my ultimate goal is to have my hair reach between BSL-WL when curly.

Right now...my hair stretches to my armpit....however....it shrinks ALLLLLLLLLLL the way up to my neck/chin! I have crazy shrinkage! I'm kinda hoping that as it gets longer that the curls will become weighed down more so that it doesn't shrink as much:shrug:

Anyway...i just hope more Kinkies/Curlies will come in and share their inner mermaid thoughts and stories...and tips! :)

Yay! I check the other boards and agree this forum is the most calm.:agree:

I'm bsl approaching mbl and plan on growing my hair to at least waist.:D

I'm not sure of my hair type, because I seem to have many textures on my head, and knowing my doesn't/wouldn't help me grow my hair longer, just techniques that are tried and true.

My hair shrinks a lot, to like mid-neck length, so I think with waist length hair my hair would be closer to shoulder when it shrinks.:shrug:

I can't wait till my hair's wl, I might flatiron it then.

HappyHair, do you use heat on your hair?

HappyHair87
January 15th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I'm a curly who wants mermaid hair! I've never had long hair because I never knew how to take care of it and the tangles usually made my mom (when I was little) or me (until the last few years ) chop it off. I'm mixed Mediterranean and my hair is mostly in the 3's except for a front patch which has always been kinky/coarse and has confused all hairdressers. I think I get it from my father who is North African, even though his hair is curly, not kinky.

HappyHair87, last year around this time my hair was barely APL stretched but shoulder length curly and now it is past APL curly. It takes us much longer to reach our goals but that's okay. I love my curls and always think of mermaids as having curly hair.

Cool! I like that! I've always liked mermaids since I was a 2 yr old:lol: I always wanted the lonnnnnnng flowy mermaid hair. I had it right before I big chopped, but I was bored with it bc it was just...loooonnng and flowy!:laugh: so now I'm working on growing Secret Agent Mermaid hair:rollin:...and now I'm starting to imagine curly headed mermaids.

Yay! I check the other boards and agree this forum is the most calm.:agree:

I'm bsl approaching mbl and plan on growing my hair to at least waist.:D

I'm not sure of my hair type, because I seem to have many textures on my head, and knowing my doesn't/wouldn't help me grow my hair longer, just techniques that are tried and true.

My hair shrinks a lot, to like mid-neck length, so I think with waist length hair my hair would be closer to shoulder when it shrinks.:shrug:

I can't wait till my hair's wl, I might flatiron it then.

HappyHair, do you use heat on your hair?

I have flat ironed my hair 1 time since going natural and it turned out un sleek! Lol! It wasn't hot enough and my sections were too big. I do occasionally blow out my fro. For the most part I avoid heat.

I will say this tho...if I have anymore issues with SSKs I will flat iron bc that helped tremendously!:agree:

CelinaStarr
January 15th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Hey, SmilingElephant. :). Your hair has grown so much. Congrats. I think keeping it simple works best. I simply co wash, shampoo as needed and leave regular conditioner in my hair and that's it. My longest layers are now touching the top of my thighs, but I may cut back to butt length when I get my hair straightened in a few months.

HappyHair87
January 15th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Hey, SmilingElephant. :). Your hair has grown so much. Congrats. I think keeping it simple works best. I simply co wash, shampoo as needed and leave regular conditioner in my hair and that's it. My longest layers are now touching the top of my thighs, but I may cut back to butt length when I get my hair straightened in a few months.

*SCREAMS* OMG!!!! Hey!!! ((HUUUUUUGGGGG!!!)) I was wondering how you were doing! I miss you! I hope you're doing okay!:agree:

Yes after i finish using up my PJ haul i was thinking about trying your regimen. However...i'm at a point where i need gel in the front to help weigh it down though....it sticks out so awkwardly when i wear it down so i usually turn my wash n go's into wash n go ponies:D

I just finished my wash day about an hour ago:p

cldunzie0215
January 15th, 2012, 05:00 PM
SOMEONE WHO HAS MY HAIR!YAY! I have 3b hair, when I was little i had huge curls, I looked like shirly temple until I grew it out in 2nd grade. People would ask my mom if she permed it and she was like, "SHE'S IN KINDERGARDEN! WHY WOULD I PERM IT?!" ahaha, I find that funny, with how the world is these days. But I hate my hair. I want it longggggggggggg, and am hoping the curls will relax once it gets relaly long. i lose about 5 inches when its natural vs. straight.

Kira94
January 15th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I'm only a wavy, but you made me start thinking about curly mermaids, so I had to draw one. :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9451&pictureid=123901

Here's the actual size: http://i44.tinypic.com/sneb90.png
Please, please look at the actual size, uploading it on here really wrecked the quality. :p

Anyway, hope you liked it. I haven't actually drawn in almost a year, so I'm rather rusty. I should get back into it though, it was fun. :)

I think her hair is about tailbone . . . Can you imagine how long her hair would actually be straightened or stretched? :thud:

CelinaStarr
January 15th, 2012, 05:11 PM
*SCREAMS* OMG!!!! Hey!!! ((HUUUUUUGGGGG!!!)) I was wondering how you were doing! I miss you! I hope you're doing okay!:agree:

Yes after i finish using up my PJ haul i was thinking about trying your regimen. However...i'm at a point where i need gel in the front to help weigh it down though....it sticks out so awkwardly when i wear it down so i usually turn my wash n go's into wash n go ponies:D

I just finished my wash day about an hour ago:p

Hi sister. *hugs*. Everything's good. I'm happy all is well with you too. :). I missed you too and was so happy to see your updates. I joined this site several years ago and I like it here too even though I don't post often, lol!

Kira94, I love that pic. You are so talented. :)

HappyHair87
January 15th, 2012, 05:14 PM
SOMEONE WHO HAS MY HAIR!YAY! I have 3b hair, when I was little i had huge curls, I looked like shirly temple until I grew it out in 2nd grade. People would ask my mom if she permed it and she was like, "SHE'S IN KINDERGARDEN! WHY WOULD I PERM IT?!" ahaha, I find that funny, with how the world is these days. But I hate my hair. I want it longggggggggggg, and am hoping the curls will relax once it gets relaly long. i lose about 5 inches when its natural vs. straight.

Same here!! Its SO annoying!! At first i was in love with the shrinkage...but now its frustrating bc I know my hair is a lot longer than it looks...but to others it looks like it hasn't grown much...and its actually growing like weeds!:laugh:...it just gets bigger.

I'm only a wavy, but you made me start thinking about curly mermaids, so I had to draw one. :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9451&pictureid=123901

Here's the actual size: http://i44.tinypic.com/sneb90.png
Please, please look at the actual size, uploading it on here really wrecked the quality. :p

Anyway, hope you liked it. I haven't actually drawn in almost a year, so I'm rather rusty. I should get back into it though, it was fun. :)

I think her hair is about tailbone . . . Can you imagine how long her hair would actually be straightened or stretched? :thud:

She's BEAUTIFUL!!! Thats how i want mine to look in a few years. Awesome! You are very talented.:agree:

Helix
January 15th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Beam me up Scottie, I'll join :alien: . I have an old photo-shopped pic of me as a mermaid that I did ages ago and the hair looks about classic but I'm not sure I want to grow it that long yet.

I'm curious to see what a HL or TBL twist-out would look like on me, (not sure how much I would need for that. My shrinkage is insane), but I'm taking baby steps . I'll try to reach WL first and then I'll figure out if I can handle a little more than that.

GlassEyes
January 15th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Starr's hair is lovely.

I would love my hair to be longer an curly. Right now, it's about collarbone-APL curly (depends on the day, the humidty, what I put on it, etc.), but I'm going through a straight phase. Until that ends, I think my days of growing out my hair are temporarily over.

Ultimately, I'd love it BSL curly (my goal underneath my avatar is from before I realized how much long hair gets EVERYWHERE).

HappyHair87
January 17th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Beam me up Scottie, I'll join :alien: . I have an old photo-shopped pic of me as a mermaid that I did ages ago and the hair looks about classic but I'm not sure I want to grow it that long yet.

I'm curious to see what a HL or TBL twist-out would look like on me, (not sure how much I would need for that. My shrinkage is insane), but I'm taking baby steps . I'll try to reach WL first and then I'll figure out if I can handle a little more than that.

Starr's hair is lovely.

I would love my hair to be longer an curly. Right now, it's about collarbone-APL curly (depends on the day, the humidty, what I put on it, etc.), but I'm going through a straight phase. Until that ends, I think my days of growing out my hair are temporarily over.

Ultimately, I'd love it BSL curly (my goal underneath my avatar is from before I realized how much long hair gets EVERYWHERE).

WELCOME!!!:D

I want to have a HL twistout too....i think with my shrinkage....i'd need to be TBL or Butt Length stretched to have a HL twistout.....but....i don't know...i think the longest i'd really want my hair is HL...but we'll see:lol:

I'm back to co-washing daily:cheese:

My mind blacks out thinking about the lengths after TBL lol!

MissAlida
January 17th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Oh, you most certainly CAN have shine.:D I'm not as curly as you are, but my hair is shiny, and I get compliments on it often.I use a white vinegar rinse after I wash my hair, and then rinse that out with cold water. I dilute 1tbs white vinegar(you can use ACV) in a cup of lukewarm water. It gives my hair shine. Good luck, and welcome.

HappyHair87
January 17th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Oh, you most certainly CAN have shine.:D I'm not as curly as you are, but my hair is shiny, and I get compliments on it often.I use a white vinegar rinse after I wash my hair, and then rinse that out with cold water. I dilute 1tbs white vinegar(you can use ACV) in a cup of lukewarm water. It gives my hair shine. Good luck, and welcome.

Thanx for the tip MissAlida! I'll try that!

I just finished oiling my scalp with Jamaican Black Castor Oil....im gonna do that every nite since i'm going to be co-washing daily. I have been imagining myself with waist length hair for days now....i cannot WAIT for it to grow back! I like knowing that i'm at least 1/3 of the way there.

I like co washing with an oil in my hair now. I like the idea of the oil kinda lingerging after the wash and the moisture and whatnot...idk...my hair just feels super soft afterward.

HappyHair87
January 19th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Soooo....i went to the store and COMPLETELY forgot to get ACV:(!!!! I'll get some soon tho.

I'm back to wearing my signature bun...i call it the "Ice Cream Cone" bun....basically its a big kinky-curly ball of my hair sitting tilted on the side of the very top my head. I usually wear a headband with it....it lets me know my hair is getting long when i can bun my hair while its curly.:agree:

I was watching ballerina1's YouTube channel the other day...i really like her hair. I don't know what to expect my hair to look like at a super long length like that....i'm seeing more and more that the top of my hair is a very looser texture than the back...right now it looks weird...but i know once it gets really long...its gonna be BEAUTIFUL!

CurlyCap
January 19th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Soooo....i went to the store and COMPLETELY forgot to get ACV:(!!!! I'll get some soon tho.

I'm back to wearing my signature bun...i call it the "Ice Cream Cone" bun....basically its a big kinky-curly ball of my hair sitting tilted on the side of the very top my head. I usually wear a headband with it....it lets me know my hair is getting long when i can bun my hair while its curly.:agree:

I was watching ballerina1's YouTube channel the other day...i really like her hair. I don't know what to expect my hair to look like at a super long length like that....i'm seeing more and more that the top of my hair is a very looser texture than the back...right now it looks weird...but i know once it gets really long...its gonna be BEAUTIFUL!

LOL. I have the tiiiiiiiniest bun going on right now, and I love it! My friends are totally unimpressed, but I'm thinking "Do you have ANY idea how much curly hair you have to have to make a decent bun?" :gabigrin:

I actually don't want to lose any curl as I grow. It's the best part of my hair. I've been at BSL and MBL curly without any curl loss, so I wonder if I can get to TBL without any curl loss. I sually wore my hair for work out of a damp bun which killed the big curl look, but I do love my curls and I loved the opportunity to air dry and rock them. :D