PDA

View Full Version : Does virgin hair get split ends?

AGFE0914
January 15th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Hello everyone,

I know heat causes spit ends so I've stopped using heat (yay for me I took it hard the first week, sob sob) I don't dye my hair (idk of that even causes split ends) and I use a BBB after finger combing, then wide tooth combing. I don't wrap my hair at night and I know it would be better if I did I just don't see it happening :( .

Ok enough rambling and on to the point. [B]What else causes split ends?I have so many and I'm snipping them on a weekly basis. I just want to be sure I'm not doing things that are adding more!

Freckled.Thing
January 15th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Yes, virgin hair gets split ends. They are sadly inevitable. They are mostly caused by friction/rough handling. The best way to prevent them is to detangle as gently as possible with a wide toothed comb and to wear your hair in protective updos as much as possible. It also helps if you keep your ends moisturized.

pepperminttea
January 15th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Oh definitely virgin hair can get splits. As to how you can prevent them, I'd recommend reading this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8) and this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79). :)

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2012, 10:15 AM
You might want to use your wide tooth comb between finger combing and Bbb. Also, try oiling your ends and it will help decrease breakage. Use whatever oil works for you. I use mineral oil.

PixxieStix
January 15th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Back in the day, mine certainly did! Mostly from very rough handling though. And I second Long_hair_bear's idea of using the wide tooth comb after finger detangling, and oiling the ends a little.

Do you use cold water rinses after washing to help the cuticle lay down properly? I've found that helped more than anything else out there.

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Back in the day, mine certainly did! Mostly from very rough handling though. And I second Long_hair_bear's idea of using the wide tooth comb after finger detangling, and oiling the ends a little.

Do you use cold water rinses after washing to help the cuticle lay down properly? I've found that helped more than anything else out there.

Ya cold water helps, no matter what the scientists say! It's uncomfortable (at least for me) but hey, whatever works!

AGFE0914
January 15th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Oh definitely virgin hair can get splits. As to how you can prevent them, I'd recommend reading this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8) and this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79). :)

Thank you so much for the links, I highly appreciate them :):D

AGFE0914
January 15th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Hi Long Hair Bear,

Yeah I've been using conditioner with a little olive oil on the ends maybe a new oil is needed.

Thanks

AGFE0914
January 15th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Yeah I'm using cold rinses:) and I do use by BBB after finger and wide tooth combing I think I worded that oddly in the originally post.

Thank you for your response

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Hi Long Hair Bear,

Yeah I've been using conditioner with a little olive oil on the ends maybe a new oil is needed.

Thanks

Or maybe you just need oiling separate? My conditioner has Shea butter, Palm oil and coconut oil. However, after I wash out my conditioner, I wait till my hair is damp then put a tiny amount of mineral oil in as a leave in. Makes my dry ends feel great. You do what works for you though. :D

AGFE0914
January 15th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Or maybe you just need oiling separate? My conditioner has Shea butter, Palm oil and coconut oil. However, after I wash out my conditioner, I wait till my hair is damp then put a tiny amount of mineral oil in as a leave in. Makes my dry ends feel great. You do what works for you though. :D

I'm not sure if the olive oil does much lol so I'm open to try new things. Does the mineral oil make ur hair feel flat at all?

Roscata
January 15th, 2012, 12:14 PM
[..]I know heat causes spit ends so I've stopped using heat (yay for me I took it hard the first week, sob sob) [...]

If you used heat in the past the damage is already done. You can't undo damage so you may still get split ends because of previous heat damage. Other than that all you can do is avoid doing more damage to your hair (Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79)) and handle it gently (Keeping Split Ends At Bay: Secrets of Gently Handling Your Hair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8)). It is important make sure your hair is properly moisturized and doesn't have any build-up (Build-up and Clarifying (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=194), When to clarify hair and with what products (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=224), Protein Disaster & Recovery Center (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=17), Whats wrong with my hair? Hair Diagnostic Tips (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44)). Even when doing all of these things^ you may still get split ends, some hairs are just prone to it. BUT you can reduce them by following the previous steps. Good luck and I hope my answer helped! :D

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure if the olive oil does much lol so I'm open to try new things. Does the mineral oil make ur hair feel flat at all?

Nope, just very soft. It actually saved me from having to get a dry end trim. :joy:

The key is to only use a tiny amount, maybe a drop or two. If you use too much, your hair will be greasy.

spidermom
January 15th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Oh yes. I take as good of my hair as I can without driving myself crazy, but I still get split ends. The longer my hair gets, the older the ends get, and I think they wear out - like a favorite T-shirt.

freckles
January 15th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Mine certainly does.
I agree with Roscata that if you still have heat damage on your hair, that can certainly contribute to splitting, even if the heat was in the past. But some of us also has hair that splits with minimal/no heat and dye.

LissaJane
January 15th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I'm snipping them on a weekly basis. I just want to be sure I'm not doing things that are adding more!

If you're not using the correct scissors you can cause more harm than good by trimming... I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but it might be worth trimming at an actual hair dresser or investing in a decent pair of scissors.

You didn't mention what you were using to trim, so I'm just assuming here... thought I'd throw it out there anyways.
Good luckkkk!

Rybe
January 15th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I'm with Spidermom, even if you take good care you'll still most likely wind up with split ends, unless you have magical hair of steel and/or wear it up every second of every day. I could do more to keep mine out of harms way, but I'd still get splits...It's just daily wear and tear.

I've gotten to the point where I do what I can and try not to worry about it. I don't want to make my hair be a burden because I fear splits. For example, no use being so careful I'm unwilling to go to the beach because I know every time I do my hair will explode. No matter what.

CashmereHair
January 15th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Mine is 100% virgin, but it splits like hell!

Delila
January 15th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Having good shears to trim split ends is a huge help. Poor quality shears can make things worse.

jojo
January 15th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Any hair can get split ends, period! some hair types are more prone mine for example as its fine, such is life!

jojo
January 15th, 2012, 02:41 PM

Ive just started using baby oil like a serum, my result is my siggi photo! not flat at all just shiny hair! you only use the smallest amount though or it will look greasy!

AGFE0914
January 15th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Nope, just very soft. It actually saved me from having to get a dry end trim. :joy:

The key is to only use a tiny amount, maybe a drop or two. If you use too much, your hair will be greasy.
THanks again i'm going to try it out.:agree:

AGFE0914
January 15th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Thank you for these links! Yeah my hair is def damaged, I just need to learn to snip the splits and keep from creating new ones and now that I have these links, I should be on my way. :D

AGFE0914
January 15th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Ive just started using baby oil like a serum, my result is my siggi photo! not flat at all just shiny hair! you only use the smallest amount though or it will look greasy!

oooh thanks I have baby oil in my house now! lets see how this works

AGFE0914
January 15th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I currently use scissors that came with my boyfriends razor set. I assumed those were good scissors since they came with his shears and such:shrug:. Maybe I should get something this afternoon from Sallys.

Thanks!

AGFE0914
January 15th, 2012, 04:01 PM
LOL I hope my hair doesn't explode.

AGFE0914
January 15th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I think my hair is prone to splits and is heat damaged. Now that I know everyone gets them even those beautiful virgin haired folks, I feel a little better. Now I don't have to freak out just maintain.

ktani
January 15th, 2012, 04:06 PM
oooh thanks I have baby oil in my house now! lets see how this works

Split ends can be caused by tearing hair (ripping it with a comb, brush or finger combing) but mostly they are caused by dryness.

The mineral oil/baby oil should help with dryness. The one or two drops is a guide, as many will have very thick or very long hair or both. The idea is to use the very least amount possible on damp hair because very little is actually needed to do the job, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225.

spidermom
January 15th, 2012, 04:09 PM
P.S: wanted to add that I estimated my growth rate, took a fraction a bit less than that, and cut off all my pre-LHC hair a few years ago. So my current length is completely LHC grown and cared for. It still splits, although the damage used to be much-much worse from heat styling.

jojo
January 15th, 2012, 04:42 PM
^^ its amazing how less damage you get once you give up heat, I used to have splits on splits, amybe every hair eek! now if I look hard enough i can find maybe 20 which is good for me!

AGFE0914
January 15th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Spidermom, yay that means there is hope for me!!!

PSi LOVE your hair and updos!

jojo

yeah i have spits on splits right now. I think I have almost every single on one the chart :( i think mostly from frying :flamed: but i'm :eye::patrol: and taking care of them

KwaveT
January 15th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Me personally, I am keeping some of this advice in mind that I am reading here. I have naturally oily hair so it would make it more oily for me. I be afraid of trying oils right now since my bangs and side hair are still on my face. That could set me up for acne problems. Back of my hair is only part of my hair long enough at this point. Once all my length is neck length and lower they will start getting more dry. That will be time for me to start considering this to prevent future split ends. Then again I may have the kind of hair that is not prone to them. I have abused my hair a lot with little consequence in past. I use to treat my hair quite badly with way I handled my hair.

Melisande
January 15th, 2012, 09:33 PM
I believe that good nutrition and good habits are both important in preventing splits and growing strong hair. It may take quite a long time until you see results but I find that my hair reflects my general health.

Splits are not inevitable, I believe you can do a lot to reduce them over time, and learn to live with the rest.

I'm a sceptic concerning the use of a BBB. I know it's a very important part of their hair care for many but in my hair, a BBB always did more damage than good, it tore and ripped through my hair. I quit using brushes many years before discovering TLHC. I have no split ends.

I don't know how necessary it is to wrap hair at night - I gave up finding The Ideal Night Style a long time ago, my hair and I didn't like any solution and each had its own set of problems. I came to the conclusion that the best thing to keep my hair smooth and healthy over night was the piece of silk I put over my pillow. To my regret, this silk scarf broke down over time and I had to throw it away. I have to find a new one because I really feel the difference. I started to get much more breakage (albeit without splits) around my temples, especially on my main sleepy side (left).

A tiny bit of oil at all times - deep oilings before wash, maybe with conditioner - diluted shampoo - not too hot water - no harsh treatments ever - and good protein and vitamin rich nutrition - that's what really helps me.

sfgirl
January 15th, 2012, 09:35 PM
My hair splits really easily, even when it was virgin hair, but wearing it up (especially to bed), works wonders for me.

AGFE0914
January 15th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I believe that good nutrition and good habits are both important in preventing splits and growing strong hair. It may take quite a long time until you see results but I find that my hair reflects my general health.

Splits are not inevitable, I believe you can do a lot to reduce them over time, and learn to live with the rest.

I'm a sceptic concerning the use of a BBB. I know it's a very important part of their hair care for many but in my hair, a BBB always did more damage than good, it tore and ripped through my hair. I quit using brushes many years before discovering TLHC. I have no split ends.

I don't know how necessary it is to wrap hair at night - I gave up finding The Ideal Night Style a long time ago, my hair and I didn't like any solution and each had its own set of problems. I came to the conclusion that the best thing to keep my hair smooth and healthy over night was the piece of silk I put over my pillow. To my regret, this silk scarf broke down over time and I had to throw it away. I have to find a new one because I really feel the difference. I started to get much more breakage (albeit without splits) around my temples, especially on my main sleepy side (left).

A tiny bit of oil at all times - deep oilings before wash, maybe with conditioner - diluted shampoo - not too hot water - no harsh treatments ever - and good protein and vitamin rich nutrition - that's what really helps me.

Hello Melisande,

I am pretty health concious right now, and I notice it helps the way i'm feeling in general and prob my hair, skin and nails. I haven't paid too much attention since I have been staying healthy about 3 years now, it never occured to see if my hair showed any difference. I will say though that I lost about 30 pouinds and lost sooo much hair I was shedding like crazy thinking maybe junk food is good for hair, but I realized it was more that I was in that phase of shedding, now I don't shed as much.

I will try the deep oils before my washes from now on I'm kind of lazy but think it's def worth it. Thanks for replying :D

AGFE0914
January 15th, 2012, 09:55 PM
My hair splits really easily, even when it was virgin hair, but wearing it up (especially to bed), works wonders for me.

Thanks chica! I need to figure out a way to still look cute with a scarf on my head since I go to bed with my soon to be husband evernight. He's weird about short or no hair on women. :/
:rolleyes:

trolleypup
January 15th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Splits, oh yeah! But...my ends are going on 7.5 years old, so natural wear and tear, even with it up most of the time does take its toll.

LovingLife
January 16th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Definetely! Its called general damage..
Its like if you have a very nice woolen shirt.
Even if you never iron or wash it, eventually from picking at threads and unravelling it it will get a hole or some fraying :)

Mesmerise
January 16th, 2012, 01:21 AM
I think it depends a lot on what you DO with the virgin hair! Just because hair hasn't been dyed, doesn't mean it isn't damaged. If it's regularly blow dried, if it's heat straightened, it'll be damaged.

Some hair is very resilient, but other hair isn't!

I do remember having split free hair as a child. I'd hear friends talking about split ends, and wouldn't have a CLUE what they meant! This was in the days before my hair had EVER been dyed, and it had certainly never seen a straightening iron or even a hairdryer!!

I also used to have it trimmed fairly regularly, even when I was growing it long (probably every 4 to 6 months?).

the.fee.fairy
January 16th, 2012, 01:22 AM
most hair will split at the ends - think about how old your ends are, and what you've put them through.

I like Spidermom's analogy - your ends are like that favourite teeshirt you wear every night - eventually, it just gives out on you!

Snip the splits off 1/4" ABOVE the split to take off the weakness directly above the split. Snip straight across.

jojo
January 16th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Spidermom, yay that means there is hope for me!!!

PSi LOVE your hair and updos!

jojo

yeah i have spits on splits right now. I think I have almost every single on one the chart :( i think mostly from frying :flamed: but i'm :eye::patrol: and taking care of them

the best thing you can do is trim those splits off one by one, i hate doing this but it helps. some colleges I have just been told will actually do this for you at a small charge-i am tempted to book myself in once every few month for this! also lots of SMT's this is honey, aloe vera gel and conditioner mixed, its a great conditioning treatment, also i highly recommend baby oil and im talking 1/2 drop, rub between your hands and then put on damp hair concentrating on the ends. with just giving up heat you will see a huge difference, good luck been there and its so frustrating but there is light at the end of the tunnel!

joliherb
January 16th, 2012, 05:41 AM
My DD11 has never had a hair cut in her life. Yes, she has split ends.

heidi w.
January 16th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Virgin hair can absolutely contract a split.

Even hair weaves (if real hair, or possibly also if fake hair) can get splits.

heidi w.

sfgirl
January 16th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks chica! I need to figure out a way to still look cute with a scarf on my head since I go to bed with my soon to be husband evernight. He's weird about short or no hair on women. :/
:rolleyes:

If you can't do a scarf, maybe try side braiding it, (I just do a side ponytail when I lazy hehe), and use a satin pillowcase! I can't really do a scarf either just because I'll rip it out in my sleep.

ravenreed
January 16th, 2012, 02:34 PM
My cat has a split end in his whiskers. I am pretty sure he never dyed or use heat on them. :p

HintOfMint
January 16th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Unfortunately, yes, virgin hair still splits. I've found that my biggest source is from tangles and untangling and using brushes. I'm more careful with combs, whereas with a brush, I just end up ripping through, because I can't feel where the resistance is, so I can't stop and undo a particularly stubborn tangle with my fingers.

I consider my hair to be pretty virgin, if not, then just extremely chaste. Heat twice a year when I go to the salon, no dye, no perms, no keratin treatments. Still get splits.

However, growing out damaged hair definitely leads to a decrease in splits!

freckles
January 17th, 2012, 05:21 AM
My cat has a split end in his whiskers. I am pretty sure he never dyed or use heat on them. :p

:lol: I have never seen that on a cat!

snowfaery
January 17th, 2012, 12:19 PM
My hair when it was virgin was split almost all the way up to the scalp. I was swimming 5 days a week twice a day 9 months of the year for 4 years. I didn't use a swim cap because I wasn't considered competitive enough to need one by the coaches and using a clarifying shampoo conditioner set twice a day. I wasn't allowed to use any kind of products and no heat either. I had to towel dry my hair, bristle brush it wet ripping through it, and often go out into the cold weather with sopping wet hair. Those are the supplies I was allowed to have by my parents.

ArienEllariel
January 17th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Yes. Yes it does.

tori93
January 17th, 2012, 01:19 PM
when my hair was all virgin i got loads of split ends from straightening