PDA

View Full Version : Hairdos for mean weather

Ms Strangelove
January 15th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Hey,

any special things you do to protect your hair from storm, wind, snow and the like?
Anything you do to cover it? Photos? :)

I mostly wear something like this wrapped around my head to keep me warm and a bun or something underneath...

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k545/MisssStrangelove/winter.jpg

Kelikea
January 15th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Woven Amish Braids! I can wear them up to three days and a hat fits over them.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=121631&albumid=8987&dl=1324433061&thumb=1

Madora
January 15th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Lace crown braid and a thick scarf around my head.

QMacrocarpa
January 15th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I wear a big squashy watch-cap-style fleece hat that I hand-sewed, over whatever bun I've got going. It fits over a giant sock bun and accommodates the shorter hairsticks I favor. I can't find the pattern at the moment, but I made my own slightly larger version of a commercial pattern something like this (http://www.thegreenpepper.com/downloads/534web.pdf). And I wear a fleece neckwarmer I made too, like a scarf but tubular with no hanging ends.

jojo
January 15th, 2012, 09:15 AM
I wear a low nape bun and a large beanine type hat over the top, I never am without a hat in winter.

Freckled.Thing
January 15th, 2012, 10:06 AM
When it comes down to it, I care more about being warm and wearing what I want than keeping my hair 100% protected 24/7. My go to this winter is looking to be two braids with a cute hat. I just have so many cute hats I want to wear that I can't see buying new head covers just to protect my hair. :shrug: I will keep an eye out here for other ideas though.

Calaelen
January 15th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Mine is always up, and under something while out in winter weather. I've been back to covering my hair with scarves a lot, or alternately wearing a calorimetry and pulling my hood over the hair.

I take this seriously :)

Ms Strangelove
January 15th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Well, I've found it really pays off for me to keep my hair away from the wind, it is only shoulder-lengthed and will tangle up awfully and immediately otherwise....
And since I started wearing shawls on my head, surprise!, I'm not freezing cold anymore :D:shrug:.
Thank you for the replies so far! I would love to see some more variations of headscarves and such :).

I've got a photograph of a headscarve in my album, but the scarve is very thin and I used it in a sunny environment. I would love more inspiration for "warm" hairdos in cold environment...

white.chocolate
January 15th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Any bun that amish pins can hold because I find them to be the sturdiest. I wear a hat or a hood or use an umbrella if required so my hair is protected anyway.

Jessykins
January 15th, 2012, 12:57 PM
if im going to be wearing my hair up all day, just a french braid, i find it looks prettier than in a bun and i can braid my bangs in to it as well

Maktub
January 15th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Depends where I'm going and who I will meet !

But my favorite is :

low nape bun (oiled in a deep treatment if desired) + silk scarf --> hidden under a warm knit hat + hood over it (optional) + big warm neck scarf !

Yeah, it's cold here :D

You can also double any of your favorite knit hat (I like those that go very low on my ears and where I can get my bun inside it !) with a silk fabric (inside layer) - it's then more hair friendly (less frizz and such), and you get the warmth / look of the knit hat ! :)

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I tend to braid my hair up when it's windy to avoid knots. My hair loves to knot. :D however, I don't protect it from the cold since I look silly in a head scarf.

blondie9912
January 16th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Low bun at the nape of the neck, with a hat on top.

An advantage to having fine hair that isn't very long is if wrapped tightly, my hair practically disappears into a bun.

auburntressed
January 16th, 2012, 05:28 AM
I just keep my head bunned and hatted when I am outside. Though the whole idea of getting anime bun covers was prompted by my desire to cover my lengths in satin before it goes under my hood (usually from a hoodie). Haven't made them yet, but soon...

jacqueline101
January 16th, 2012, 07:39 AM
I wear a large stalking cap. I also keep my hair dos low so they help keep me warm. I can't go with out a hat I get cold too easily.