PDA

View Full Version : Do you associate hairstyle(s) with a time in your life?

XcaliburGirl
January 15th, 2012, 08:03 AM
We've had threads about making major hair changes based on things happening in one's life. Sort of like making a fresh start.

Has anyone wanted to go back to their previous hairstyle, but have a weird feeling that it will somehow make them go back to their old state of mind?

I know it's irrational, but I have this feeling like my hair is somehow tied up with a past me. It's like a scent memory. I keep vaguely associating my future long hair with things that were going on when my hair was last long. Not that there was anything bad about three years ago, but things change. I could imagine that feeling would be stronger if I had specifically cut my hair in response to some traumatic event.

I'm sure as my hair grows I will be used to it and won't have these associations any more. I just think it is an interesting trick my brain is playing on me.

Carissamarie08
January 15th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I would never want to go back to an old style because that would mean ugly hair haha

Amber_Maiden
January 15th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Kind of... I'm kind of afraid of straightening my hair- not only because of the damage, but because my hair looks like my old hair when I do it. My hair looks like it's at hip when I straighten it, and it's glossy and sleek... I always get tons of compliments and people who stop me in the street telling me how gorgeous it is. The last time I had it straightened is when a hairstylist said she had to in order to cut it, in October. I got tons of compliments in the salon, but I didn't like the attention, because of my old hair.
I cut my hair because I was getting too much attention from it... Like hair perverts on the metro sniffing it and touching it without my knowledge- which made me cut it.

Madora
January 15th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Only in the sense that my hair was a LOT thicker 15 years ago!

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I've wanted to go back to my purple hair oh so many times. I keep telling myself not to though because the upkeep was tedious and expensive. I wasn't in any bad place or frame of mind through it though. I was having great times at the time. I do miss my purple hair, but my bank account and sanity sure don't.

Nedertane
January 15th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Well, back when I was 13, I had chin-length, bleached white-blonde bangs. NEVER. AGAIN. I really cringe when I look back at myself from that time. Perhaps even more so at the people in my life. Geeeehhhhhh... *shivers*

HumanBean
January 15th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I think this is a great question, because it totally resonates with me.

I've been wearing my hair between below chin and shoulder for a couple decades now, and started letting it grow last year purely out of neglect and finances. But, one year ago I also had a miscarriage and we finally decided to stop trying to have a second child, after several years of no luck. I also turned 40 and wasn't happy about that. I have to wear glasses now, and while I think I look cute in them, in general I am just feeling old and not happy about it.

So in some ways I can totally see that my recent decision to grow my hair long is trying to get back to my youth, as I haven't had it long (and by long I mean BSL) since college.

Lamb
January 15th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I think I do. I have very few photographs of myself, but I can always tell by how my hair looks in them if I was happy or unhappy, depressed or hopeful, at any given time.

Mommyof4
January 15th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I know what you mean! When one of the worst times of my life was happening, I had chin-length hair.. But also, when one of the best times of my life happened right after, I had short hair too..

BUT.. when my hair was waist length, I have brief memories of a dear friend and some of the most peaceful times of my life...

I keep imagining that when my hair is waist I will feel "back" to normal.. I will have washed away the hurt and trauma that has lingered for so long...

I know it seems like i'm asking alot from hair, but it's just like you said, instead of "smell" memories and associations, I have "hair" ones :D

woolyleprechaun
January 15th, 2012, 12:10 PM
I think thats totaly normal. In many cultures, hair is believed to hold memories and experience. I feel like Ive lost a lot more than just hair after a trim :( If you're going mad, Im going with you ;)

Mommyof4
January 15th, 2012, 12:12 PM
I think thats totaly normal. In many cultures, hair is believed to hold memories and experience. I feel like Ive lost a lot more than just hair after a trim :( If you're going mad, Im going with you ;)

^^ I like this quote :) ^^

FrozenBritannia
January 15th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Interesting idea.. I will have to think about it!

MegaMystery
January 15th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Well the last time my hair was this long (though it's not long at all!) was when i was about 8 years old, and i don't think i'll be going back to the mindset of an 8-year-old when i grow my hair, so i don't really worry about it. I might if I decide to cut my hair short again, because i was teased pretty badly in elementary school because of it even though i didn't really care what i looked like at the time..

akuamoonmaui
January 15th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I think so, when I was stuck and feeling like there was no solution to my miserable marriage my hair was also stuck. When I left him, I was able to let my hair grow.

blondie9912
January 16th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Interesting thought. I agree somewhat. I won't bore you with the details of my life and how previous hairstyles remind me of positive things that were occurring at the time, but yes, I do understand what you mean :p

Neneka
January 16th, 2012, 05:33 AM
I could never have light blond and short hair again. I had that when I was going through the hardest times of my life. I feel like I am not that person anymore and I don't want to have her hair. I don't want to look in a mirror and see myself from those times. Yes, this is very irrational but these feelings still exist.

joliherb
January 16th, 2012, 06:11 AM
I have one up do (a fan bun) that makes me think about my DS's dedication cerimony. It is an awesome memmory.

jacqueline101
January 16th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Yeah I'm sort of afraid that I might cut my hair off again. I don't know why but its a fear. I'm afraid I will get upset and cut it.

ladyshep
January 16th, 2012, 07:40 AM
I've been through so much with my hair, I will never get rid of it. It is a friend of mine through thick and thin! *laughs*

long&blonde
January 16th, 2012, 07:43 AM
I so agree with I feel as if I've lost more than just hair after a trim.
When I was 46, 11 years ago, I moved & completely changed my way of life for a time.
The guy I was with didn't like blonde hair. I went dark brown to please him.
Awesome choice. I ended up losing a huge amount of weight;just another change that clicked into place.
And the best part was:with my newly dark hair, thin, I did not get the over whelming attention, that I hate, about how'd I lose weight, why'd I move:nothing! People didn't even know I was me. I was Totally left alone. It was AWESOME. Nice & Easy dark golden brown : took me there. Lol.

Kiwiwi
January 17th, 2012, 02:17 AM
I've cut my hair completely short 2 times in very hard times. The last one was especially difficult because that was the time my father was sick and eventually passed away.
I hope I never have to go through wanting to cut my hair short again (cos that simply means I am not doing well, at all). My hair now is as long as the time that passed after my father passed away. I often feel like "My dad has been gone this long *length of hair*". It's special to me for that.
I will now grow my hair longer than it's ever been (never had longer that almost BSL and that wasn't healthy/pretty hair). So I hope I will also be the happiest I have ever been.
I think I will :-)

Toadstool
January 17th, 2012, 02:56 AM
Definitely.

rena
January 17th, 2012, 03:00 AM
Mhm. Hastily and tightly pulled bun-a-majigs, jaw clips, and cotton candy hair that never seems to grow are all iconic of an era in my life which was not very pleasant. This is one reason why I'm pretty much desperate for my hair to change. I want it to be long, I want it to look nice and healthy, I want it to never even resemble the horrid and neglected mess it was during those harsh and stressful times. Its my way of cutting myself off from those memories so I can change for the better and move on. Irrational? Perhaps, but it works for me.

noelgirl
January 17th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I tend to associate half-ups with my childhood, as that was my go-to "special occasion" style as a kid, especially around ages 10-13. I have a lot of pics of myself with my hair in a half-up around that age, so when I do them now I feel very young - I feel like I even still look childlike. Which depending on my mood isn't always a terrible thing.

Raiscake
January 18th, 2012, 06:51 AM
I changed my hair every year up until recently, so I can tell how old I was/where I was in life just by looking at pictures. I don't think I go back to the same state of mind however. More like "omg what was I thinking back then."

lapushka
January 18th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Well the last time my hair was this long (though it's not long at all!) was when i was about 8 years old, and i don't think i'll be going back to the mindset of an 8-year-old when i grow my hair, so i don't really worry about it.

I was about 10/11 when I last had classic length. I don't think that that's what I'm going for, to revert to that time in my life, I mean. So no, I don't associate a particular length or style with a time in my life. I do remember what hair I had at crucial points in my life, but that's kind of different.

I don't think I go back to the same state of mind however. More like "omg what was I thinking back then."

This. ^^

Jessykins
January 18th, 2012, 10:28 AM
well when i was a child i had just above shoulder length bob and a huge blunt fringe... i am now growing my fringe out for the third and final time! so i suppose ill never have a fringe again, i think i look ugly with one, it really doesn't suit my face and looks almost like a wig. when i think of my self with a fringe, i think school and my old job which got a bit shnitty