PDA

View Full Version : Is there ever such thing as 'too long hair'?

MissHair
January 14th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I absolutely love the thought of having rapunzel hair to my ankles. But I would argue and say that there is such a thing as 'too long' hair. Dragging ones hair on the ground really takes away the charm and beauty of carrying ones hair. Hair should be carried with pride and gentle care. In my opinion it looks like these people's hairs (although amazing and impressive) were detached from them a long time ago. By detached I mean it feels like the hair doesn't even belong to their body anymore.

Does anyone agree or disagree?

battles
January 14th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Personally, I would not grow my hair that long, even if I could. But it really isn't any of my business if anyone else wants to.

Long_hair_bear
January 14th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Well, I don't know. I would grow mine to my knees. Not sure I have the genetics for it though. I think it depends on the person and their wants. Overall, I don't think there is a too long in general. It's up to the person who is growing it if they wanna take care of floor length hair. I'd stop at knee though. :)

Madora
January 14th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I think that depends on the individual. Uber long hair, as long as it is healthy, is fine with me.

Hair like that, however, takes a great deal of extra time..something which a lot of people don't have. It also takes a LOT of patience when dealing with it.

Apart from terrific hair genes, I think very long hair (ankle and longer) takes a particular "mind set". You really have to be dedicated and work extra hard to keep hair like that looking healthy and beautiful.

Catia
January 14th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Why conjecture OP? And why conjecture with judgement? You don't understand it because you haven't been there ... so just don't worry your pretty little head about it, K?

MissHair
January 14th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Touched a nerve there, Catia? Just my opinion and my freedom to express it.

Long_hair_bear
January 14th, 2012, 09:47 PM
:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

Catia
January 14th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Touched a nerve there, Catia? Just my opinion and my freedom to express it.

Yes. Negative assumptions usually do.

I could clarify some stereotypes for you but I don't want to impede your freedom of opinion. Carry on.

KahRistAhn
January 14th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Personally, I feel like there is a 'too long' point, where it just becomes unattractive...of course, that's just my opinion.

I don't see how the OP was being all that negative....I think we need to not get so worked up, here.

Bene
January 14th, 2012, 10:30 PM
ANYWAY...

I do think there is such thing as too long, but for me as an individual. For someone else, it might not be long enough. My "just right" length might be long and gross to another person.

I don't care enough about what other people do with their bodies to say something is too much. Only they can make that decision.

OP has an opinion, I don't agree with it, not much more to add.

spidermom
January 14th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I think there's such a thing as too long of hair for me personally, but I haven't gotten there yet, although there are days when my own hair is too long (temporarily).

sun-kissed
January 14th, 2012, 10:58 PM
I personally would never handle past floor-length, or even anything close to that. I think that hair that long wouldn't be worth the time and effort. As for those women? It's their hair. I don't know who they are, or why they grew out their hair -- but as long as they are doing it because they want to, I believe that it is just fine. I'm not one to tell other people how they should look. It would be a boring world if we were all carbon-copies of each other.

Catia
January 14th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Oh good grief. If the hair isn't on your own head, what does it matter?

This is what pissed me off about having floor + hair - The Freak Show Aspect of it.

Jugement can be passed because people fail to see that that is an individual under all that hair. They aren't a piece of art to be critiqued. You can judge them ...but you don't want to be judged for judging them? Really?

This thread is essentially "Let us judge whether a person (other then oneself) with super long hair is pleasing to me or not". The OP stated that it was lacking grace or gentleness or something like that to have such hair. Also that it seemed detached from the person. That's just because you have no frame of reference. It can be perfectly natural extension of your body - just like waist length is more commonly thought of. It's all perspective. Bald people might think those with APL hair appear detached from it. Doesn't make it true.

I admit I REALLY should not have clicked on this thread. But here I am. :doh:

sfgirl
January 14th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I think a lot of us here don't like short hair, a lot might not like super long hair. Unless someone is saying "long hair is ugly" or "people with this long of hair are bad", I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Yes, there IS a freak show quality, but so does anything that impedes with daily life. Having nails that are a foot long, or corset training into the 20" and below range both have that aspect too. The person with hair this longs knows it, yet they obviously don't get in a tizzy about it.
I theory I would love to have hair that long, it brings out my rapunzel fantasies.
But in reality? I think unless you had it up 24/7, it would get unsanitary. I'm a germ freak. I don't want my hair touching the floor, even the shower floor. But you know what? that's just me.

lolot
January 14th, 2012, 11:17 PM
i think everyone has the right to not like something and she didnt even say anything offensive, i have read other posts where people say they dont like blunt cuts or others dislike layered hair, and i dont see anything wrong with it either, its just a personal taste.
and answering the post, i wouldnt let my hair grow so long because im very lazy to take care of it :P

auburntressed
January 14th, 2012, 11:26 PM
I think there is such a thing as "too long" hair, but I think that point is different for each person.

If hair has become so long that the person who has it is unable or unwilling to keep it cared for and healthy, then it is too long. I feel that is a hygiene issue, not an appearance issue.

But, really, even if a person's hair is dirty and poorly managed, it rarely if ever harms anyone else to have it so. So I don't see it as an issue with it if that makes them happy.

LissaJane
January 14th, 2012, 11:28 PM
I wouldn't like to have hair THAT long.

pepperminttea
January 14th, 2012, 11:32 PM
For me, I don't know. This is the longest my hair's ever been, it's not too long yet. :shrug: For them, well, it's their hair so more power to them.

KahRistAhn
January 14th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Yeah, I really don't think the OP was being offensive. Also, well...maybe it's just me but those pictures kind of seem like the entire purpose is to show off the hair length...so the "freak show" argument doesn't make much sense to me..

Vanille_
January 14th, 2012, 11:42 PM
I seriously doubt they leave their hair down to drag on the floor. They probably keep it up long enough not to drag.

I think it's very pretty :)

I also don't think the OP meant any offense :)

Catia
January 14th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Yeah, I really don't think the OP was being offensive. Also, well...maybe it's just me but those pictures kind of seem like the entire purpose is to show off the hair length...so the "freak show" argument doesn't make much sense to me..

I agree. But this wasn't a thread about this particular woman, but a general consensus. (The super long hairs on this board don't walk around with their hair dragging in the sand btw - it's up where no one is the wiser)

The crux of the problem? I identify with the freaks in question.

So who can you (general "you", not picking anyone out) identify with? The freak or the one pointing the finger?

I'm going to bed now. Have at it.

Aimskylove
January 14th, 2012, 11:48 PM
wooooooah whats with all the hostility? I dont think you had to answer so aggressively. Anyways, I can see where you are coming from OP. It is just your opinion and you did not express it in an offensive way. Personally I dont think I could or would want to grow my hair that long, but that doesn't mean there is something wrong with it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

jeanniet
January 14th, 2012, 11:59 PM
No, there isn't. Hair belongs to the person who wears it, so if they want to grow it long enough to go around the block, more power to them. I couldn't do it, but then that's why my hair is on my head. Not really any different than hair that's really short--I wouldn't want it, but it's not my hair.

ETA: I personally prefer threads like these to be more personal, as in "How long is too long for you?" rather than posting pictures of other people as an example of "too long." That way, it's a matter of opinion for oneself, rather than a judgment (whether intended or not) of someone else.

PixxieStix
January 15th, 2012, 12:15 AM
While there is such a thing as "too long" for me on my head, I do not believe that is the case for anyone else, it is up for them (and their genetics/patience/whathaveyou to decide that). In general, when I see someone pulling off something completely out of the ordinary (floor length + hair for example, or multiple facial piercings, or wearing shorts while walking around on two artificial limbs), I have to say I do notice, and often find myself in awe over the diversity in mankind. I try to be discreet about my having noticed, as well as my admiration for someone for doing what they want, regardless of societal standards.

ladylowtide
January 15th, 2012, 12:26 AM
I think it is neat when women have hair that long. It would be too long for me though because I wouldn't be able to maintain it.

balticbabe
January 15th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Sure there can be hair that is too long. If it negatively affects your life it's too long. Lots of people do things for fashion that aren't practical. People make sacrifices for the look they are trying to achieve. I wouldn't want fingernails so long that I couldn't use a phone or pants so baggy they fall on the ground but others do and must find the positives outweigh the negatives.

Not sure how long hair can cause problems since I never had long hair. Does it get caught in doors of elevators? Dragged in mud puddles? As long as the wearer doesn't expect everyone else to accommodate their fashion choice I don't care.

MasCat
January 15th, 2012, 04:05 AM
I don't think there can be a "too long" for hair ;)

Mesmerise
January 15th, 2012, 04:14 AM
I think it's fair enough to have an opinion on whether hair is too long or not, but maybe it's just not a good idea to bring it up on this forum :confused:. Obviously some buttons were pushed, however inadvertantly!

I really didn't find the OP's question offensive. I understand exactly where she's coming from.

Personally, I want long hair that looks pretty when I wear it loose. I don't understand having hair way past floor length, because I just couldn't do that!

I also couldn't genetically grow my hair that long, so that's a moot point ;). Heck those ladies have thicker hair at their ends than I do now!

I find it impressive that they can grow their hair that long, but I guess I can't appreciate the aesthetic value of hair that length. But that's FINE because that's just ME. I am sure a lot of people will never think my hair is aesthetically pleasing either :shrug:.

slz
January 15th, 2012, 04:20 AM
But in reality? I think unless you had it up 24/7, it would get unsanitary. I'm a germ freak. I don't want my hair touching the floor
I'm going to bet my left arm that floor+ length people do not go around their daily business with their hair down. It goes down for daily care and taking pictures., or an occasional show off. Nobody lets their hair drag on the floor behind them as they walk - or it would never get that long to begin with anyway.

Me, I'm already in the Freak Show territory, and I enjoy it. Being considered a freak by the lesser ones is a big part of my motivation to grow. I love it that you* don't love me :cool:.

*generic you - does not refer to most people here of course, as long hair afficionados. But then some, apparently.

Raiscake
January 15th, 2012, 04:36 AM
It depends on individual preferences. I personally think that classic is already pushing it, but I'm sure many other people would love to have hair much longer than that.

Hairizona
January 15th, 2012, 05:00 AM
My hair would not get that long, though I'd be willing to give it a try. I would not wear my hair down to drag on the ground, but would let it down to enjoy it and to groom it. I see nothing strange about hair that long on others. I think it is a beautiful look and a great feat to be able to do that. They have obviously made a choice to grow it to those lengths.

I believe the poster that feels strongly about this, according to her stats, had very long hair(85"?) at one time ( must have been beautiful!), but not currently. This must be a subject near and dear to her heart; perhaps she was put in a position of having to endure negative remarks in the past on the length.

If I am wrong about that, my mea culpa is definitely due. Just trying to see the whole picture here.

CSallaround
January 15th, 2012, 05:27 AM
I absolutely love the thought of having rapunzel hair to my ankles. But I would argue and say that there is such a thing as 'too long' hair. Dragging ones hair on the ground really takes away the charm and beauty of carrying ones hair. Hair should be carried with pride and gentle care. In my opinion it looks like these people's hairs (although amazing and impressive) were detached from them a long time ago. By detached I mean it feels like the hair doesn't even belong to their body anymore.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2077/79/94/70697546456/n70697546456_1970878_1948.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2077/79/94/70697546456/n70697546456_1976415_172.jpg

I have to agree. First of all because I think their hair looks dry, damaged and dead. I totally get what you say about it looking 'detached'.
There are some who just ROCK the longer styles, and I really respect those who can maintain a healthy hair when they get to classic and beyond.
My picture of an ideal hairlength is between WL and HP though. I think it's the prettiest and most feminine length for most women, I don't really know why. xD
I hope I'm not offending anyone, because that's really not what I meant to do. :)
Your hair is your business :D

Audrey Horne
January 15th, 2012, 05:32 AM
There is such thing as too long for me because I know I wouldn't be able to take care of such a length and I don't think I have beyond-ankles genes. It doesn't mean that the hair is too long in general. Who sets the norms? We for ourselves and the society. I don't set the norms for others. People should do whatever they're happy with.

Audrey Horne
January 15th, 2012, 05:48 AM
OK I feel like I have to say it... Isn't it a longhaircommunity where any head of the long hair should be welcome? I HONESTLY fail to see the point of opening a thread in order to judge someone. Is it a site of "conventionally long hair" (read: waist)? Maybe that's the way I was brought up, I don't know. I really don't want to push the buttons here but I remember a thread with similar undertones.

mrs_coffee
January 15th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Personally, I would not grow my hair that long, even if I could. But it really isn't any of my business if anyone else wants to.

ITA. I doubt I will ever go much past waist, but what other people choose to do is up to them. I don't judge other people's hair choices. I like super short, shaved, colored, spiked, manic panicked, super long, curly, straight, whatever.

MonaLisa
January 15th, 2012, 06:14 AM
It is simple. There is hair too long for YOU, for ME, for some other individual.
There is no hair too long - IN GENERAL.
Because none of u sets the rules.

And I think it is perfectly ok to express your preferences and opinions on the fourm, respectfully.

As for my opinion...it would be too long for me, but seeing it on someone else is...interesting, I feel curiosity and a bit of admiration.

MissAlida
January 15th, 2012, 06:23 AM
It is simple. There is hair too long for YOU, for ME, for some other individual.
There is no hair too long - IN GENERAL.
Because none of u sets the rules.

And I think it is perfectly ok to express your preferences and opinions on the fourm, respectfully.
THIS. I don't think the OP wanted to offend anyone, and she was not disrespectful. We all have our opinions, and everybody is entitled to his own. IMHO hair that long is way too long. But that's just me. If it makes someone else happy, then OK. No need to fight over personal prefrences. Everyone is diferent.

arc691
January 15th, 2012, 06:34 AM
I would say that yes, if a person has very thin hair/tapered hair and it is starting to look scraggly, that is probably the time for a trim to even things up a bit. I prefer a blunt hemline, or else a thick fairytale hem. I think long hair looks longer when it's even across the bottom...

clarinette
January 15th, 2012, 06:34 AM
I agree. But this wasn't a thread about this particular woman, but a general consensus. (The super long hairs on this board don't walk around with their hair dragging in the sand btw - it's up where no one is the wiser)

The crux of the problem? I identify with the freaks in question.

So who can you (general "you", not picking anyone out) identify with? The freak or the one pointing the finger?

I'm going to bed now. Have at it.
I completey understand where you're coming from, but I think you are seeing into the OP things that aren't there, like judgement!
For instance, I'm not even at waist yet, and I think my end goal could be hip, or classic. That's because I'm not there yet, and I might find my hair "short" at that lenght and decide to go to knee. But FOR NOW, I'm thinking:" knee? oh gosh, too much work, and I want to be able to wear my hair down without setting it on fire by accident, or closing a door on my braid", it's not judgement, just a sort of fear of the unknown. I'm sure when I'm there I'll feel differently about it. (although I'm so clumsy my predictions might come true...)
I don't think you should see this thread as an attack on floor lenght hair! It's just a mix of awe/picturing what it'd feel like, and reflecting on whether we want to try it or not....

jacqueline101
January 15th, 2012, 06:45 AM
I think of hair as clothes they help you express who you are. If someone wants hair that length who are we to judge them.

Of the Fae
January 15th, 2012, 06:50 AM
I can only say what I find too long on myself, and that would be past-knee I guess. For the sheer time it would take to groom that length, and I'd get tangled up in it all the time :P
But I find floor length very beautiful on others sometimes, so I guess it depends on the person.
Some people just look better with BSL than with classic, for example.
My goal is classic however, when I get there I will see if any longer would suit me, and if I could even manage such a length with my genes!

Of the Fae
January 15th, 2012, 06:51 AM
I can only say what I find too long on myself, and that would be past-knee I guess. For the sheer time it would take to groom that length, and I'd get tangled up in it all the time :P
But I find floor length very beautiful on others sometimes, so I guess it depends on the person.
Some people just look better with BSL than with classic, for example.
My goal is classic however, when I get there I will see if any longer would suit me, and if I could even manage such a length with my genes!

Sweet Beat
January 15th, 2012, 07:20 AM
I think that's very personal. What is too short for me can be too long for someone else.

slz
January 15th, 2012, 07:33 AM
For the sheer time it would take to groom that length
Just out of curioity : how long is you hair, and how much time do you spend on it daily ? Weekly ?

Amber_Maiden
January 15th, 2012, 08:04 AM
I think it really depends on the person. I still don't consider my hair to be long and it's past waist- but for someone else that is long. I think I'll probably stop at TBL, maybe classic, but for other people ankle might be their goal. Who is to judge what someone thinks is beautiful?

Amber_Maiden
January 15th, 2012, 08:07 AM
No, there isn't. Hair belongs to the person who wears it, so if they want to grow it long enough to go around the block, more power to them. I couldn't do it, but then that's why my hair is on my head. Not really any different than hair that's really short--I wouldn't want it, but it's not my hair.

ETA: I personally prefer threads like these to be more personal, as in "How long is too long for you?" rather than posting pictures of other people as an example of "too long." That way, it's a matter of opinion for oneself, rather than a judgment (whether intended or not) of someone else.

I completely agree with this.
I think if someone is going to post pictures and wonder why someone would ever grow their hair THAT long, they should do it in their blog.

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I personally feel that it's a silly and pointless argument. People are going to grow and cut their hair as they like, and who is any one person to tell them they can't? And who are they to call the long hair a freak? We are all weird and different in our own ways. If we were all the same, the world would be a boring place.

Chromis
January 15th, 2012, 08:57 AM
I completely agree with this.
I think if someone is going to post pictures and wonder why someone would ever grow their hair THAT long, they should do it in their blog.

Agree fully!

If the OP had actually read about the people in these pictures, she would know that they normally keep their hair up and take great pride in it. Not dragging around everywhere. Many of us normally wear our hair up even at more modest lengths.

This is a long hair forum.

I don't think there is such a thing as "too long". There might be longer than you personally feel like growing or longer than you are genetically capable but it is none of your business how long or short the rest of us wear our hair.

Henrietta
January 15th, 2012, 09:07 AM

I agree. I wouldn't like to have such hair myself. For me it is too long to handle easily. But if they are happy with so long hair... If they feel it is worth having, despite all troubles, it's fine.

There is no such thing as "too long hair" because everyone thinks differently. For many of my friends waist is too long. For some of us- past floor. Saying "it's too long" is like saying "spinach is awful". It is not. Everyone has their own opinion.

Mayflower
January 15th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Speaking for myself; anything beyond TBL is too long, and it's not something I would want simply because I don't find it beautiful (on myself that's to say, I've seen classic lenght on here before and some people have absolutely gorgeous hair, so I might change my opinion whenever I reach my goal).

However, I honestly do NOT care whatsoever about what other people look like or what kind of clothes they wear or how long their hair is. I never judge anyone and I have respect for everyone's choices in regards to how théy want to look.
So there is -ofcourse- no general 'too long' and people can do whatever they want. It's nice to see how many different views on beauty there are in this world.
But, if I have to give my honest opinion; I agree that the hair looks detached and I don't find it pretty or soft-looking at all. If people want to grow their hair to get attention, that's their choice and it doesn't affect me in any way. I just think this is a FORUM, where people can give their opinion without having to worry all the time about potentionally stepping on somebody's toes. If you are 100% confident with how you look, you don't care about what other people say. At least, that's how I feel.

Amber_Maiden
January 15th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Speaking for myself; anything beyond TBL is too long, and it's not something I would want simply because I don't find it beautiful (on myself that's to say, I've seen classic lenght on here before and some people have absolutely gorgeous hair, so I might change my opinion whenever I reach my goal).

However, I honestly do NOT care whatsoever about what other people look like or what kind of clothes they wear or how long their hair is. I never judge anyone and I have respect for everyone's choices in regards to how théy want to look.
So there is -ofcourse- no general 'too long' and people can do whatever they want. It's nice to see how many different views on beauty there are in this world.
But, if I have to give my honest opinion; I agree that the hair looks detached and I don't find it pretty or soft-looking at all. If people want to grow their hair to get attention, that's their choice and it doesn't affect me in any way. I just think this is a FORUM, where people can give their opinion without having to worry all the time about potentionally stepping on somebody's toes. If you are 100% confident with how you look, you don't care about what other people say. At least, that's how I feel.

I agree, everyone is titled to their own opinion, BUT I think it's different when someone makes a thread ON a hair board where there are people with hair that long, and says that their opinion of that length of hair is ugly. If you want to say something like that, this is the wrong place to say it. I think if the OP made a blog entry on the subject, that would be fine, but to create a thread about it is a different matter. This is a community for people who want to grow long hair- some of them have hair that long and some are just starting their journey at short hair. You don't see anyone else creating a thread to say that short hair is ugly, or waist length hair is too long, etc. It's a matter of opinion, personal taste,etc. I think creating a thread about it was the wrong thing to do. It's a matter of respecting the other community members and their choices. I think if the OP had asked a question, like "What is your goal length?", or "How far would you grow your hair out?", that would be a different story, and more appropriate, since it's not just about one opinion, it's about many different ones. It also doesn't attack anyone/make anyone feel bad.

LisaButz2001
January 15th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Everybody has a personal 'too long' point, in my experience. And it varies by individual. for example, mid-thigh was my 'too long' point. My ex's 'too long' point was my waist/ tailbone.

Humans also look at and judge each other. How else would couples, families, the continuation of the species happen? We are also curious. We wonder, we question, we judge. It does not necessarily have to have bad connotations.

I like having long hair, but sometimes I look at an individual and think: How can he/she have such long hair? I wouldn't want my hair that long. As long as mental words don't become vocal words, it's OK to have opinions, most of the time.

Vallena
January 15th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I think there is such a thing as too long for myself to care for and remain happy with it. But everyone else is free to do as they wish to their hair!

gthlvrmx
January 15th, 2012, 09:49 AM
I dissagree, dragging length is amazing and beautiful to me. :)

twopoints
January 15th, 2012, 09:52 AM
No, I don't think there is a 'too long'. Only a 'too damaged' or 'too thin'. Personally, for hair that drags on the floor, I think they look best with traditional clothing such as the ones in the Heian period of Japan. The court ladies of the time had long silk robes that protected hair from the ground so it wasn't dragging on the floor directly. I've read that the longest hair at the time was around 7 m.

http://0.tqn.com/d/asianhistory/1/0/B/2/-/-/RSEmakimonoTaleofGenjiTakayoshi1130.jpg

maborosi
January 15th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I wouldn't personally want to grow my hair past classic, I don't think. Beyond there, I would feel like it takes away from my other features and draw far too much attention to me if I wore it down. Plus, I don't think I would want to deal with that much hair- brushing and attempting to comb it out...I cannot imagine what it could get itself stuck in, too. ><;

~maborosi~

beachgirlla
January 15th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Wow, first time I see hair this long, I call this dedication, I can't imagine how these women take care of their hair on daily bases, they must be spending a lot of time and may be some good money to keep it in good shape, you can't have long hair without sacrificing and dedication, period!
How many of those with this long hair are there?, not so many, so what if they can grow it this long and give us the opportunity to see it.
Remember these never gave in to latest hair styles, cuts, colors and so on, their long hair may not work with their faces, but they kept it long, may be we can learn something from them, if anyone can grow hair this long then I want to be in touch with them, my motto now is: healthy beautiful hair = long hair :D

Mayflower
January 15th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I agree, everyone is titled to their own opinion, BUT I think it's different when someone makes a thread ON a hair board where there are people with hair that long, and says that their opinion of that length of hair is ugly. If you want to say something like that, this is the wrong place to say it. I think if the OP made a blog entry on the subject, that would be fine, but to create a thread about it is a different matter. This is a community for people who want to grow long hair- some of them have hair that long and some are just starting their journey at short hair. You don't see anyone else creating a thread to say that short hair is ugly, or waist length hair is too long, etc. It's a matter of opinion, personal taste,etc. I think creating a thread about it was the wrong thing to do. It's a matter of respecting the other community members and their choices. I think if the OP had asked a question, like "What is your goal length?", or "How far would you grow your hair out?", that would be a different story, and more appropriate, since it's not just about one opinion, it's about many different ones. It also doesn't attack anyone/make anyone feel bad.

I don't find the opening post to be rude or saying that hair that long is plain ugly. She also says 'In my opinion it looks...' and is open to hear anyone who disagrees. That's a whole other thing than to say 'Floor lenght hair is so ugly! Anyone agrees?', but then again I'm not easily offended. Ofcourse I don't have floor+ lenght hair, but if someone would open a thread saying how disgusting waist lenght hair is, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

I find that members here are easily offended sometimes, even by looking at the "dumb hair comments"-thread. People are offended by comments like "long hair is so boring". So what if anyone finds your hair lenght gross? That's why I said that if you're truely confident and happy with yourself, it shouldn't mather to you that other people don't like the lenght, colour, style or whatever of your hair. You choose to wear your hair a certain way, so you have to deal with people who think it looks ugly. Especially if it's truely out of the ordinary, like floor lenght hair. Ofcourse the people who make the comments have issues of their own, but that's a whole other topic.
Catia responded very rude and agressive in my opinion, and I wonder what's the reason behind that. No need to work your frustrations out on anyone who opens a topic with a normal question.

ANYWAY. Even this (the question if such topic should be posted on the mane board or on a blogpost) is a matter of opinion, and I respect everyone who is offended by it, I just don't agree.

Catia
January 15th, 2012, 10:34 AM
If people want to grow their hair to get attention, that's their choice and it doesn't affect me in any way.

(bolding mine)

This is the general misconception that I felt needed addressing. Is this woman in the picture putting herself "out there" for judgement. Perhaps. Does every person who grows their hair outside the norm do it for attention. No. Absolutely not. Nine times out of ten it is done for deeply personal or religious reasons and is not intentionally put on display.

Is it ok to take pictures or gawk or pass judgement in a vocal manner towards the little Amish girl in Walmart? Because surely she is doing it for attention and therefore should accept whatever opinions are hurled at her as her Duty In Life To Humanity. Of course not.

This is what I meant by who is it you identify or empathize with. Most people have never been in the position of being demonstrably different in society. Step back. Rather then thinking "It's my right to judge, don't be so sensitive" think about how many times a day does this person has to politely sit back and listen to it.

Tap a person once and it might not bother them. Tap that same place 1000 times and yeah ... it can begin to sting.

Calaelen
January 15th, 2012, 10:46 AM
for me those examples would certainly be too long. I wouldn't be able to manage it on my own, and that is pretty important to me. My final goal is mid calf, but thick and healthy so 2012 is going to be a year of micro trimming according to the moon chart by my favourite, Morocco Method.

I do think though that women who choose to grow hair as long as those examples must have a motivation, and they are likely just as hair obsessed as most of us here are, and I am sure they see it as a huge part of their identity. I am glad someone wants to grow to those lengths just so I can see the pics, but for me mid calf is probably my final goal :)

Mayflower
January 15th, 2012, 10:59 AM
(bolding mine)

This is the general misconception that I felt needed addressing. Is this woman in the picture putting herself "out there" for judgement. Perhaps. Does every person who grows their hair outside the norm do it for attention. No. Absolutely not. Nine times out of ten it is done for deeply personal or religious reasons and is not intentionally put on display.

Is it ok to take pictures or gawk or pass judgement in a vocal manner towards the little Amish girl in Walmart? Because surely she is doing it for attention and therefore should accept whatever opinions are hurled at her as her Duty In Life To Humanity. Of course not.

This is what I meant by who is it you identify or empathize with. Most people have never been in the position of being demonstrably different in society. Step back. Rather then thinking "It's my right to judge, don't be so sensitive" think about how many times a day does this person has to politely sit back and listen to it.

Tap a person once and it might not bother them. Tap that same place 1000 times and yeah ... it can begin to sting.

That wasn't meant in general, there was a member here earlier in the thread who said that. Maybe it wasn't put in the correct place in my post. As I said, I respect everyone's choices and opinions, but I feel like people who do choose to put themselves out there in an unconventional way (read: really long hair) should also respect people who don't find it attractive. It is a fact that it draws a lot of attention, so they should be able to deal with it, especially if it's because of deeper reasons. Then judgements shouldn't bother you.

And to make myself clear: I am different than your regular 19 year old girl. I have scars all over my upperbody and I can't fold or bend my back because of a backsurgery a couple years back. I get asked ALL the time why I sit so "weird" and unrelaxed (upstraight), and the first years after my surgery people would tell me right in my face I looked like I had anorexia (those issues are cleared up now). So maybe I'm not speaking out of the position of someone who has had superlong hair in the past, but I do know how it feels to stand out in some kind of way and getting comments on that. And that is something I can't even change (unlike hair).

Amber_Maiden
January 15th, 2012, 11:12 AM
That wasn't meant in general, there was a member here earlier in the thread who said that. Maybe it wasn't put in the correct place in my post. As I said, I respect everyone's choices and opinions, but I feel like people who do choose to put themselves out there in an unconventional way (read: really long hair) should also respect people who don't find it attractive. It is a fact that it draws a lot of attention, so they should be able to deal with it, especially if it's because of deeper reasons. Then judgements shouldn't bother you.

And to make myself clear: I am different than your regular 19 year old girl. I have scars all over my upperbody and I can't fold or bend my back because of a backsurgery a couple years back. I get asked ALL the time why I sit so "weird" and unrelaxed (upstraight), and the first years after my surgery people would tell me right in my face I looked like I had anorexia (those issues are cleared up now). So maybe I'm not speaking out of the position of someone who has had superlong hair in the past, but I do know how it feels to stand out in some kind of way and getting comments on that. And that is something I can't even change (unlike hair).

I don't think that someone who has long hair should need to grow a tougher skin because of judgement. I think that people should be allowed to look the way they want to look and still be treated with humanity and respect. I think there's a difference between doing something to get or gain attention and being oneself.

I once got so much attention over my hip length hair that I cut it. It was hard for me, and I did not ask for the attention I got- all I wanted was to be left alone and to be myself. Instead, someone decided to take away that from me- giving me and my hair attention that was disturbing and perverted. I was 18 and on a metro, and it was packed full that day. I couldn't turn around, and when i felt tugging on my hair I thought it was my backpack. When the tugging increased I realized something was wrong. When I turned around a man had my hair in his hand and was sniffing it while staring at me. Did I ask for this attention? NO. I think some people forget that other people are real.

I am sorry to hear about your scars and how difficult that was for you. I think, though, that you might be speaking out of anger about something you could not change. I think you have to think of it from the other side- for some people, hair is something they cannot change- due to religion or because of self esteem. When I cut my hair from hip to chin, because of what happened to me, it was devastating. It really wrecked me emotionally. I think everyone is different.

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I used to stand out a lot too when I had purple hair. Ya, it was something I could change, but I used to get a lot of attention for it. In all honesty, I didn't dye it purple for the attention; I did it because I'm in love with purple. I would get negative comments like, "it's not Halloween" and junk like that, but a lot of people liked it. Since I did it for my own pleasure, I really didn't care if others liked it or not. I think hair growing is the same thing. If they want it and are growing it for their own pleasure, kudos to them for not giving in to negative comments and peer pressure. :cheer:

Amber_Maiden
January 15th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I used to stand out a lot too when I had purple hair. Ya, it was something I could change, but I used to get a lot of attention for it. In all honesty, I didn't dye it purple for the attention; I did it because I'm in love with purple. I would get negative comments like, "it's not Halloween" and junk like that, but a lot of people liked it. Since I did it for my own pleasure, I really didn't care if others liked it or not. I think hair growing is the same thing. If they want it and are growing it for their own pleasure, kudos to them for not giving in to negative comments and peer pressure. :cheer:

I agree. I think people should do what makes them happy. As someone has said on the board in the past "I'm not here to decorate your world", so either people can take it or leave it- they don't have to like your hair, it matters more if YOU like your hair.
I think people really need to stop being mean to others due to the choices they make regarding personal style. I think it's very easy to get carried away with it, and perhaps easier than IRL to get carried away on the internet and see pictures and be judgmental towards the people in them.

lapushka
January 15th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Hair that length would be virtually unmanageable. I think that's my criterion, for hair that's on my head as well as other people's. If it's at -what I assume- is an unmanageable or difficult to manage length, then it goes beyond what I like. But if beyond floor is what someone else wants and wears with pride, then who am I to judge?

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Hair that length would be virtually unmanageable. I think that's my criterion, for hair that's on my head as well as other people's. If it's at -what I assume- is an unmanageable or difficult to manage length, then it goes beyond what I like. But if beyond floor is what someone else wants and wears with pride, then who am I to judge?

Amen, my dear. :cheer:

InkBones
January 15th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Well, I have to say that my opinion varies. It all depends. Personally, I do find it excessive, for myself of course. My goal length is hip, and its the length I identify myself with. It is the length I most feel like is me. I have seen people with floor and beyond floor lengths. Some of it made me shrug, some of it made my jaw drop in absolute ecstatic awe and marvel. In the end, these are all factors which complete that particular person's persona. My motto is live for pleasure. Sure, I might find it distasteful in some cases, but who cares if that hair fulfills the other person? If they're happy, then I'm happy.

As for crude remarks and the freak show aspect, there will always be those that judge. Back when I had screaming red hair I' ve been called everything from attention (unpleasant word) to Satan's Mistress. There were of course, those that worshiped it. It was my choice then, and it made me stronger. It made me confident, and nobody could take that away from me - because it was mine and mine alone.

So my opinion would be yes, there is a thing such as too long. Who am I to impose my opinions upon you? And in the case of those who do, just ask yourself as I have, where is your pride if it allows the words and opinions of others to take away something that is rightfully yours?

Stay confident, beautiful souls!

Mayflower
January 15th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I don't think that someone who has long hair should need to grow a tougher skin because of judgement. I think that people should be allowed to look the way they want to look and still be treated with humanity and respect. I think there's a difference between doing something to get or gain attention and being oneself.

I once got so much attention over my hip length hair that I cut it. It was hard for me, and I did not ask for the attention I got- all I wanted was to be left alone and to be myself. Instead, someone decided to take away that from me- giving me and my hair attention that was disturbing and perverted. I was 18 and on a metro, and it was packed full that day. I couldn't turn around, and when i felt tugging on my hair I thought it was my backpack. When the tugging increased I realized something was wrong. When I turned around a man had my hair in his hand and was sniffing it while staring at me. Did I ask for this attention? NO. I think some people forget that other people are real.

I am sorry to hear about your scars and how difficult that was for you. I think, though, that you might be speaking out of anger about something you could not change. I think you have to think of it from the other side- for some people, hair is something they cannot change- due to religion or because of self esteem. When I cut my hair from hip to chin, because of what happened to me, it was devastating. It really wrecked me emotionally. I think everyone is different.

I completely agree with what you say, and I have said multiple times that I encourage everyone to look how they want (even if it's not my or anybody else' preference) but I do feel that since EVERYBODY gets some kind of comments on one bodypart or another, that people should not act like the victim when other people don't agree with how they look. And I literally never tell people that I don't like their hair or clothes or whatever, even if I really don't. I agree people should always be treated with respect, and that's what I always do. You (the general you) just should not expect everybody to agree with the way you look, 'cause that's the "downside" of the fact that there are so many different ideas of beauty in this world.
As Long_hair_bear said, she didn't care about the comments and judgement because she liked her purple hair. That is all I'm saying so I don't think we disagree on this topic haha.

My comment about wanting attention was based on another comment here in this thread, and it has nothing to do with long hair in general, so it is NOT my way of saying "People only have long hair to get attention so they should deal with the consequences". Therefore I'm not going to go any deeper into that part, but I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience in the metro.

I can say that I'm not speaking out of anger, on the contrary, I was proving my point that everybody has to deal with "haters" and insults and what not. Okay, it did bother me when I was 15, but now it doesn't even touch me when people make comments about my scars or back. I'm not angry at the people who do, I feel sorry for them because of their rudeness and lack of empathy. I wouldn't want to be like that.
And I'm not saying that people with long hair (who can easily cut it, therefore taking away their unconventional trait) should be able to take harder insults than me, who can't change anything. I am not frustrated or angry, I embrace my scars as a huge part of who I am and the reason I am who I am today.
I am simply making a point here. Do not let insults, hatefull remarks or rude comments get to you, because in my eyes, that means you haven't reached true confidence and happiness yet. External traits have nothing to do with who you are, that is why I don't understand why people get so easily insulted. You are just you, a human being, living, nothing to do with looks.
I too love variety in people and looks, AND I love variety of opinions. That's not to say people should just insult eachother out of freedom of speech (which is where you're misunderstanding me) but to exept eachother's ideas of beauty, and let any insult glide off of you because that is what makes a person strong.

(sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes, English is not my first language so writing these huuuuge novels asks for mistakes!)

Of the Fae
January 15th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Just out of curioity : how long is you hair, and how much time do you spend on it daily ? Weekly ?

Well, it is around APL (some hairs are below, others above), and it takes a lot of time to brush it properly as it is quite a lot, and tends to tangle up in my neck like crazy...
I guess it takes me about fifteen minutes to get it absolutely perfect, including pinning it up and slowly removing tangles from the side.

Do you have knee length hair? How many time do you spend on it? Because I have to say this has made me curious as well :)
Will my hair tangle up less as it gets longer?

Loviatar
January 15th, 2012, 12:25 PM
For me: past fingertip length is too long for my hair, I would imagine. Once it gets past what I'd call 'easy handling', I wouldn't want mine longer. I might, of course, change my mind as it grows, but I haven't had long hair (waist or longer) since I was a child.

For other people: there isn't a 'too long'. Unless it's too long for their personal preference, of course. :)

MonaLisa
January 15th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I don't see why some people here start to argue or feel offended...
Just take a look at this thread...it can be simply a conversation topic ' is there ever such thing as ' too long hair'? and OP gave pictures as example, and everyone can discuss and express their opinions....
different opinions are what makes it fun to read, but without all the nagativity and being hostile to each other :blossom:

Amber_Maiden
January 15th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I completely agree with what you say, and I have said multiple times that I encourage everyone to look how they want (even if it's not my or anybody else' preference) but I do feel that since EVERYBODY gets some kind of comments on one bodypart or another, that people should not act like the victim when other people don't agree with how they look. And I literally never tell people that I don't like their hair or clothes or whatever, even if I really don't. I agree people should always be treated with respect, and that's what I always do. You (the general you) just should not expect everybody to agree with the way you look, 'cause that's the "downside" of the fact that there are so many different ideas of beauty in this world.
As Long_hair_bear said, she didn't care about the comments and judgement because she liked her purple hair. That is all I'm saying so I don't think we disagree on this topic haha.

My comment about wanting attention was based on another comment here in this thread, and it has nothing to do with long hair in general, so it is NOT my way of saying "People only have long hair to get attention so they should deal with the consequences". Therefore I'm not going to go any deeper into that part, but I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience in the metro.

I can say that I'm not speaking out of anger, on the contrary, I was proving my point that everybody has to deal with "haters" and insults and what not. Okay, it did bother me when I was 15, but now it doesn't even touch me when people make comments about my scars or back. I'm not angry at the people who do, I feel sorry for them because of their rudeness and lack of empathy. I wouldn't want to be like that.
And I'm not saying that people with long hair (who can easily cut it, therefore taking away their unconventional trait) should be able to take harder insults than me, who can't change anything. I am not frustrated or angry, I embrace my scars as a huge part of who I am and the reason I am who I am today.
I am simply making a point here. Do not let insults, hatefull remarks or rude comments get to you, because in my eyes, that means you haven't reached true confidence and happiness yet. External traits have nothing to do with who you are, that is why I don't understand why people get so easily insulted. You are just you, a human being, living, nothing to do with looks.
I too love variety in people and looks, AND I love variety of opinions. That's not to say people should just insult eachother out of freedom of speech (which is where you're misunderstanding me) but to exept eachother's ideas of beauty, and let any insult glide off of you because that is what makes a person strong.

(sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes, English is not my first language so writing these huuuuge novels asks for mistakes!)

I can understand what you are meaning to say now that you are being more clear.

I don't think people "play the victim" when it comes to long hair. I think that there are people out there, such as myself, who are shocked when people have something rude to say about how they look, hence some of the threads people start where they share what people have said to them about their hair, like "When are you getting it cut?", "Are you going to donate it?" and "Is it real?".
I belong to a league of people who just think that people shouldn't say anything at all about someone else's appearance unless they have something nice to say. I guess being shocked by other people's rude behavior could qualify as playing the victim in some people's eyes, but I'd rather call it being sensitive to myself and other's emotions.

Red Rapunzel
January 15th, 2012, 12:41 PM
MissHair: In response to your question, I normally would have said that hair cannot be too long. However, after looking at the photos you posted, I vote YES, there can be such a thing as hair that is too long. I personally find the hair in the two photos to be unattractive and would never aspire to such lengths. I do not understand why you were attacked for asking such a question since it was essentially nothing more or less than just a poll regarding our opinions on the matter.

Quetiepi
January 15th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I would LOVE to have hair that long, but I lose patience about waist length. It's all I am willing to manage. Cheers to those who go for that length, though. I LOVE looking at their albums!

Isadora
January 15th, 2012, 12:47 PM
For me, there´s no too long ;)
I would be glad to have such wonderful long hair. Imagine how often you can lay your braid around your head :D and if you have a lot of time you can do hairstyles that other "normal" long hair ladies can´t do.

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I would LOVE to have hair that long, but I lose patience about waist length. It's all I am willing to manage. Cheers to those who go for that length, though. I LOVE looking at their albums!

Patience is a virtue, but it's definitely not my strongest point either. :D

Amber_Maiden
January 15th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Patience is a virtue, but it's definitely not my strongest point either. :D

haha! Mine neither! I like to stare at the pictures and think "One day..." :p

Mayflower
January 15th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I can understand what you are meaning to say now that you are being more clear.

I don't think people "play the victim" when it comes to long hair. I think that there are people out there, such as myself, who are shocked when people have something rude to say about how they look, hence some of the threads people start where they share what people have said to them about their hair, like "When are you getting it cut?", "Are you going to donate it?" and "Is it real?".
I belong to a league of people who just think that people shouldn't say anything at all about someone else's appearance unless they have something nice to say. I guess being shocked by other people's rude behavior could qualify as playing the victim in some people's eyes, but I'd rather call it being sensitive to myself and other's emotions.

I completely agree with you though, and to make things 100&#37; clear: I never ever insult anyone or express my dislike about how they look, simply because I don't care, I'm not interested in how other people look and I'm happy about variety.
I think I'll just never understand why people get all insulted over something like "Are you going to cut it?" or feel attacked if someone asks them if it's real. It's not a lifechanging question. It's not some huge insult. People are interested, or they just don't like it. So be it. Don't let it bother you. It's just hair, I can honestly don't understand how such innocent remarks can touch people so deep. That's what I meant with playing the victim, people are always taking everything to personal while deep inside they must admit it's not that big of a deal.

Mona Lisa, I'm not trying to be hostile and negative. I just like a good discussion (even though it might probably bore a lot of people:p).

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2012, 12:55 PM
haha! Mine neither! I like to stare at the pictures and think "One day..." :p

Lol "one day" never seems to come, does it? Lol :p

Vamos hair! We've got growing to do!

ratgirldjh
January 15th, 2012, 12:55 PM
LOL
Well personally I used to have a friend who was a very tiny Japanese lady. Her hair was almost a foot longer than her feet and so would drag on the ground (just barely) even when she wore super high heels.

She had never cut her hair and the bottom of it was pretty thin but she also hardly ever wore her hair up.

I do remember several times when she would get her high heels tangled up in her hair and trip on it!!! (OUCH! although she would laugh!)

And around the house when her high heels were off she would pick up her hair in one hand and sometimes wrap it around her neck or tie it in knots (which slid out immediately) just so she (and I or anyone else) wouldn't trip on her hair! (ouch!)

I loved her hair but hated to see it treated this way even then and this was in the 80's when I had a severe buzz cut to show growth pattern dyed blue black.

We used to have fun going out together because we liked the contrast from super short hair to super long hair and people would comment!

So I guess my answer is I don't care one way or another just do what you like. I like hair all different lengths. Once a long haired old lady told me that her hair had been very long and very short MANY times during her life and I like the idea of this! :)

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I completely agree with you though, and to make things 100% clear: I never ever insult anyone or express my dislike about how they look, simply because I don't care, I'm not interested in how other people look and I'm happy about variety.
I think I'll just never understand why people get all insulted over something like "Are you going to cut it?" or feel attacked if someone asks them if it's real. It's not a lifechanging question. It's not some huge insult. People are interested, or they just don't like it. So be it. Don't let it bother you. It's just hair, I can honestly don't understand how such innocent remarks can touch people so deep. That's what I meant with playing the victim, people are always taking everything to personal while deep inside they must admit it's not that big of a deal.

Mona Lisa, I'm not trying to be hostile and negative. I just like a good discussion (even though it might probably bore a lot of people:p).

Ok ladies, maybe you should just leave it. And don't try to kill the peacemaker either. :D

Mayflower
January 15th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Ok ladies, maybe you should just leave it. And don't try to kill the peacemaker either. :D

Haha maybe that's for the best, each their own opinion and there isn't a chance we're ever going to agree anyway, and that's fine!

slz
January 15th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Well, it is around APL (some hairs are below, others above), and it takes a lot of time to brush it properly as it is quite a lot, and tends to tangle up in my neck like crazy...
I guess it takes me about fifteen minutes to get it absolutely perfect, including pinning it up and slowly removing tangles from the side.

Do you have knee length hair? How many time do you spend on it? Because I have to say this has made me curious as well :)
Will my hair tangle up less as it gets longer?
At mid calf or so now, my daily unbraid-comb-rebraid session takes me 20 minutes, sometimes more like 30 if the braid is 2 days old. Then once a week I shampoo, which includes careful detangling before and after, so all in all I'd say 1 hour.
All this to say, it may not be the time involved that would put you off growing to knee or longer, because you might spend a good amount of time on your hair if you wish to and if you like it, but it's not a given - it is possible to limit this time to what I believe is a very decent and average amount of time for many much shorter-haired people.

Beatnik Guy
January 15th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I was surprised to see this question and those photos on a site about long hair, and while i don't think the OP intended to cause offense, I think she phrased her point in a way that can be read to seem judgmental. :shrug:

Anyhow, I think any of us can only answer about what would be longest than we think we would want (and I don't know what that would be for me). I think super long lengths are super-awesome. :bowtome:

MonaLisa
January 15th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Mayflower, I said that in general. Wasn't aiming at you, or anyone...:flower:
I think this topic is OK...just pointing that out.
Ok, maybe pictures weren't that necessary.

Opinion doesn't have to be...same as judging someone.

Of the Fae
January 15th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Gee, slz! That is much less time than I thought!!
But you wear it in a braid all the time? I like to wear it down as well. I figured that classic length would be maintainable to wear down part of the time :)
I must say that I like your hair a lot, and I find the hair of Lady Godiva and Teazel most beautiful- and theirs is knee/calf length.
I can't wait to at least get to BSL however :) I have broken my own record, and have never had hair longer than this...

Áine
January 15th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Maybe there is such a thing as long hair, or maybe it's an imaginary line. One individual's idea of "too long" is going to be different than the next person's, I guess. My own criteria for that has certain shifted over the past ten years.

ktani
January 15th, 2012, 01:51 PM
I think for anyone to grow their hair that long, it means something to them and in those pictures the hair does look healthy. Having to deal with hair that long does take patience and time.

Hair length like style is very personal. Those people have the genetics and want to have their hair that long. That is their choice.

As so how long is too long? That varies from person to person too. Mine is below waist pulled down right now. I wear it down mostly and it is beginning to get in my way again so I will be trimming back a few inches. Again - entirely personal choice.

Vanille_
January 15th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Derail, but 2 day old braid? Mine barely lasts two hours! If I lay down, it's destroyed. But even left alone it gets disheveled. I'm in awe.

ladylovecraft
January 15th, 2012, 02:46 PM
As a pretty eccentric/weird looking person, I've got some judgments made by strangers in the past, often just walking down the street. I've heard none of those judgments made on this forum.. merely stating one's opinion (Ex: 'I don't like it/find it attractive/etc') is not judgment. If we were sitting here going "Ewwww! She's such a freak! That's disgusting!" that would be judgment. One can express their opinion without judging someone.

Personally, I have very specific standards for what I find attractive when it comes to hair. Longer than BSL but not longer than TBL. Anything else is pretty unattractive to me, though I find shorter hair considerably more repelling than long hair. Do I like excessively long hair? No, not really. But if I saw her walking down the street I'd probably stare in awe and go about my business. Even if it's not something I find pretty, that's some damn dedication right there and that in itself deserves admiration. If you're going to have a different look, you have to own it. You can't freak out every time someone thinks about thinking about saying something that may not be praise of your look. I'm sure ladies with hair this long don't get distressed because someone might not like their hair.

If they could be so easily shattered by other people's opinions, I think they would have just cut it off by now.

Vanille_
January 15th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Ladylovecraft, beautifully said.

KahRistAhn
January 15th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Ladylovecraft, beautifully said.

Agreed! She pretty much summed up my thoughts exactly.

jeanniet
January 15th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I sincerely doubt that the women in the pictures care what other people think--I'm sure they've gotten more than their share of criticism, not to mention other unpleasant things. But I do think that posting pictures of other people on a board of this nature and then saying that you think their hair doesn't look good is unkind. That's why I said I think threads like this should be more generic in nature.

Chromis
January 15th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I sincerely doubt that the women in the pictures care what other people think--I'm sure they've gotten more than their share of criticism, not to mention other unpleasant things. But I do think that posting pictures of other people on a board of this nature and then saying that you think their hair doesn't look good is unkind. That's why I said I think threads like this should be more generic in nature.

I would like to mention too, that for all we know, they might be lurking on this board! We have a large membership after all, it is not outside the realm of possibility. People with long hair...on a long hair care forum... Not exactly rocket science!

This thread would have gotten some major outcry had the OP used pictures from well known members here. Why should we treat these pictures differently? There have been threads in the past when people berated pictures of people they found on the internet only for them to find the thread and be sorely hurt. It is one thing for random people to dislike your hair, but it must sting so much worse when it is people with a common interest! I am thinking particularly of a thread involving the most *amazing* rainbow dyed hair.

Using pictures of actual people and then criticizing their hair on a public forum is beyond rude.

MasCat
January 15th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Oh, oh, I think I found one "too long" that everybody here can agree on :)

"My hair takes TOO LONG to grow" :)

Chromis
January 15th, 2012, 04:07 PM

Haha, quoted for great truth! Even if I were just maintaining, faster growth would mean nicer ends :D

slz
January 15th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Gee, slz! That is much less time than I thought!!
But you wear it in a braid all the time? I like to wear it down as well. I figured that classic length would be maintainable to wear down part of the time :)
I must say that I like your hair a lot, and I find the hair of Lady Godiva and Teazel most beautiful- and theirs is knee/calf length.
I can't wait to at least get to BSL however :) I have broken my own record, and have never had hair longer than this...
Yes, my hair is braided 99&#37; of the time - and then, up in a bun. Which of course cuts down on the detangling time, and makes it possible for me to grow long since it's VERY tangle prone. That might be what makes you settle for a maximum length : if you prefer to wear it loose, once you reach a certain length it's only possible occasionally, it just gets in the way, everywhere, and gets damaged too much. For me it was at classic if I remember well, that I started to wear it mostly up.

Derail, but 2 day old braid? Mine barely lasts two hours! If I lay down, it's destroyed. But even left alone it gets disheveled. I'm in awe.
Actually since it's bunned it's mainly when I sleep that it gets a chance to get all worn out. I try not to sleep on my braid, I toss it up toward the wall over my pillow each time I move during the night, it's a habit now. Still it's not exactly fresh-looking after 2 days, but mostly, I don't care much about it - it helps :D .

Aand to get back on topic :D

YES, THIS.

Beatnik Guy
January 15th, 2012, 04:17 PM

Yes, yes, yes. :rolleyes:

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2012, 04:18 PM

Mine sure as heck does. :thud:

Narya
January 15th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Is there ever such thing as 'too blond hair'?
...as 'too dark hair'?
...as 'too straight hair'?
...as 'too curly hair'?
...as 'too short hair'?

That's the same as asking "is there ever such a think as too dark/pale skin"? Geez.

Everybody might like more or less, for himself or herself, one or the other option, but there is no "too X anything" per se. Preferences about others do not matter, in this case. Nothing is better than anything else.

Amber_Maiden
January 15th, 2012, 04:51 PM

Definitely. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but being judgmental is not a good thing. Respect, people, respect!

I would like to mention too, that for all we know, they might be lurking on this board! We have a large membership after all, it is not outside the realm of possibility. People with long hair...on a long hair care forum... Not exactly rocket science!

This thread would have gotten some major outcry had the OP used pictures from well known members here. Why should we treat these pictures differently? There have been threads in the past when people berated pictures of people they found on the internet only for them to find the thread and be sorely hurt. It is one thing for random people to dislike your hair, but it must sting so much worse when it is people with a common interest! I am thinking particularly of a thread involving the most *amazing* rainbow dyed hair.

Using pictures of actual people and then criticizing their hair on a public forum is beyond rude.

Exactly the point I was trying to make before. It's a bit strange to post this on a board where the common interest is long hair, and where there are people who have epically long hair!

Is there ever such thing as 'too blond hair'?
...as 'too dark hair'?
...as 'too straight hair'?
...as 'too curly hair'?
...as 'too short hair'?

That's the same as asking "is there ever such a think as too dark/pale skin"? Geez.

Everybody might like more or less, for himself or herself, one or the other option, but there is no "too X anything" per se. Preferences about others do not matter, in this case. Nothing is better than anything else.

Definitely.

Mommyof4
January 15th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I think their hair is BEAUTIFUL! I don't think hair can be too long.. unless the person that it is attached to thinks it is :D

I would totally grow my hair that long if I could!! I'm definitely going to try :)

Chromis
January 15th, 2012, 04:57 PM
I think their hair is BEAUTIFUL! I don't think hair can be too long.. unless the person that it is attached to thinks it is :D

I would totally grow my hair that long if I could!! I'm definitely going to try :)

Quite a few of us here are aiming for terminal length :)

It is like a hairy limbo, how low can we go!

Amber_Maiden
January 15th, 2012, 04:59 PM

You have beautiful hair Chromis!!! Just gorgeous!!! :D

Mommyof4
January 15th, 2012, 05:00 PM

I want terminal length for sure! :D

I hope my terminal is below thigh.. I want to be that long so badly!

I like that they could walk and their hair would be like a train behind them! How awe inspiring ( I know it would cause damage and tangles, but it's just knowing they could if they wanted to ) ;)

Mommyof4
January 15th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Yes, Chromis' hair is definitely an inspiration!

Chromis
January 15th, 2012, 05:04 PM
You have beautiful hair Chromis!!! Just gorgeous!!! :D

Aw, thank you! I don't know if I will make it to floor length, but I hope mine looks as awesome as theirs or any number of really fantastic heads of hair here. :thump:

I want terminal length for sure! :D

I hope my terminal is below thigh.. I want to be that long so badly!

I like that they could walk and their hair would be like a train behind them! How awe inspiring ( I know it would cause damage and tangles, but it's just knowing they could if they wanted to ) ;)

Imagine them swimming with it loose! Mer-punzel! It probably wouldn't quite work in real life, but in my imagination it is jaw-dropping. Heck even a braid would look amazing flowing in the water.

Eboshi
January 15th, 2012, 05:09 PM

I'm glad you brought this up Chromis. I'm a little late to this thread however I recognize the lady in the second photo as Dyq and she *is* a member of this forum. When I met her two or so summers ago her hair was approximately 14 feet long and gorgeous. She has not cut her hair in almost 30 years. She takes very good care of her hair and it is in amazing condition. :thudpile:

Amber_Maiden
January 15th, 2012, 05:13 PM
I'm glad you brought this up Chromis. I'm a little late to this thread however I recognize the lady in the second photo as Dyq and she *is* a member of this forum. When I met her two or so summers ago her hair was approximately 14 feet long and gorgeous. She has not cut her hair in almost 30 years. She takes very good care of her hair and it is in amazing condition. :thudpile:

I figured one, or both, of the women in those photos might be members. I hope, for their sake, they do not see this thread and the hurtful things that were said here. :(

I really must say... I am seriously disgusted with some of the people in this thread and what they have said. Those women in the photos are real people who real emotions. This is a long hair forum, and is a community for people interested in long hair- of any length. There should be more respect around here for other people and however they wish to grow and care for their hair.

Whew. I just had to get that out.

Mommyof4
January 15th, 2012, 05:16 PM
I figured one, or both, of the women in those photos might be members. I hope, for their sake, they do not see this thread and the hurtful things that were said here. :(

Well, if they do see this thread, they will see that they have a fanbase!!! I'm a fan for sure!!!!:cheer:

jeanniet
January 15th, 2012, 05:17 PM

Yes, exactly. Let's all support each other, friends or strangers, in our journeys to whatever lengths we may grow.

And I agree that hair does take TOO LONG to grow!

Amber_Maiden
Well, if they do see this thread, they will see that they have a fanbase!!! I'm a fan for sure!!!!:cheer:

Too true! I am also a fan! Their hair is so epic!!! They have such healthy hair and amazing patience!

Mommyof4
Aw, thank you! I don't know if I will make it to floor length, but I hope mine looks as awesome as theirs or any number of really fantastic heads of hair here. :thump:

Imagine them swimming with it loose! Mer-punzel! It probably wouldn't quite work in real life, but in my imagination it is jaw-dropping. Heck even a braid would look amazing flowing in the water.

Aw, a braid of it in the water would be mystical!! Their hair is what I hope for, even if it's out of reach for me.. Hair is one of those things that is so priceless.. I think I'd give a pinky toe before I'd give up a certain length of hair :p

getoffmyskittle
January 15th, 2012, 05:44 PM
When my hair was classic length, a lot of people thought it was too long.

However, I did not give a ****. :shrug:

That said, if I found a thread on the internet with photos of MY hair, I would probably be hurt... and then I would be like "wow, these people have nothing better to do than sit online and criticize strangers? :rollin:"

Mommyof4
January 15th, 2012, 05:47 PM
When my hair was classic length, a lot of people thought it was too long.

However, I did not give a ****. :shrug:

Exactly!! I don't see why people care?? It's not like they are putting in the time and dedication for your hair.. When my hair was waist I was told daily by aquaintances that I should cut it to look more "stylish"...

Who wants "stylish" when it means going against what we actually like or want?

FrozenBritannia
January 15th, 2012, 05:48 PM

Count me in as a fan! They should be proud of their hair, it is gorgeous, and If my hair is able to grow that long, I would do it too.

gossamer
January 15th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Wow, it's a weird day to log into LHC and feel like I'm strange and headed to "too long length" because I'm getting near calf length.

FrozenBritannia
January 15th, 2012, 05:57 PM

Count me in as a fan! They should be proud of their hair, it is gorgeous, and If my hair is able to grow that long, I would do it too.

Weird, double posted... Sorry!

vanillabones
January 15th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I don't care how long their hair gets, it's not mine, and it doesn't bother me, but those split frazzled ends sure do :( I wish they would trim. *can't look any more*

MonaLisa
January 15th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I wonder how you managed to see split ends? Is there zoom in button i fail to see?

To be honest, hair in both pictures looks amazingly healthy and in good condition!

Amber_Maiden
January 15th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I wonder how you managed to see split ends? Is there zoom in button i fail to see?

To be honest, hair in both pictures looks amazingly healthy and in good condition!

I agree! I don't see any damage! :shrug:

Mommyof4
January 15th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I don't care how long their hair gets, it's not mine, and it doesn't bother me, but those split frazzled ends sure do :( I wish they would trim. *can't look any more*

Hmm... I don't see any splits? My ends looks worse than theirs in pictures and I'm only at SL..

When I say worse, I mean like, I can see damage in mine, but NO damage in theirs.. I think their hair is AMAZING.. just wanted to clarify.

Mommyof4
January 15th, 2012, 06:19 PM
The lady that is in the picture that is a member here? I wonder what her member name is.. I'd love to friend her and ask her questions about haircare..

If she sees this: Please comment :D

Mommyof4
January 15th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Wow, it's a weird day to log into LHC and feel like I'm strange and headed to "too long length" because I'm getting near calf length.

It is strange for this type of thread to be on LHC... :agree:

elbow chic
January 15th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Neverrrrrr!

Well, never on OTHER people, anyway. I suspect there will come a time when I get thoroughly sick of maintaining mine.

CurlyCap
January 15th, 2012, 07:40 PM
For me, too long is when it stops being a joy to have the length.

A little over a year ago, I started hating my hair because I was in a rough place in life and found myself in the grocery store making a decision between food and conditioner. Food is food, but I also knew that it would take very little time for damage to accumulate in my hair if I tried to avoid costs by neglect. I was known for my hair and had a lot of social pressure to keep it long and healthy.

By LHC standards, my hair wasn't very long. Wet, it fell in the upper crack of my butt (lol, don't even know the name for that). I remember trying to comb it and having it be past my fingertips and getting frustrated. I remember having to by 4-5x as many rollers or hair toys as my friends because I needed more to handle the length. I remember being turned away from stylists because they didn't want to do the work. I remember buying conditioner in bulk and cursing at the cost. It was horrible and stressful. In the end, all of this "unhappiness" was a large part of why I cut my hair. I wanted to see if I would like shorter hair better. Would it really be easier to care for shorter hair?

This time around, I'm very comfortable with the idea that I'll stop growing my hair when it quits making me happy. It's my toy and my accessory and on my body. I'll do what I like with it. I like to wear my hair loose unless I'm doing updos for fashion. I don't like thinning or split ends. I'm curious to see where I end up.

When I look at my family members with very long hair (usually around the knee when they are young, early 20s), I see a lot of hair being worn up. It used to be frowned upon in my mom's family to cut your hair before marriage, and a lot of young women take care of their hair like it's a chore. It stays up, out of the way, undamaged, but not fun. I think that, more than anything, is why so many of my generation are chopping their hair as soon as they move out of the house. If your hair being able to drag behind you makes you deliriously happy and you enjoy the care that goes into long hair, go for it. But I don't believe in long hair for the sake of it being long, because some outside source believes "longer is better".

I will also say, that when it comes to appreciating long hair, I don't like long hair that is simply long when that's all there is to recommend it. Mentally, I tend to cut off hair where it starts to thin. Damaged hair is dismissed all together. Someone posted a video here recently of a woman in china whose hair dragged behind her feet, was shiny, healthy, and damn near blunt all the way to the end. It was gorgeous and the first example I had seen of a "past floor" length where I was truly impressed. But those are my standards, which I admit are extreme and unforgiving.

KwaveT
January 15th, 2012, 08:00 PM
I would hit terminal before reaching those lengths. I don't think there is any length that is too long. It is a personal decision. A lot of people think my nails are too long but to me they aren't. I get asked all the time how I work with my nails. I absolutely LOVE looking at hair that length.

Tea Lady
January 15th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Too long? Hmm, I don't know. It's such a personal decision. I don't think there is any detachment between the longhair and the long hair. It starts in one place and ends in another but it's still my hair! I have had the privilege of seeing some amazingly long hair up close at long hair meets (Dianyla, gossamer). Their hair never seemed too long, simply inspired me to keep going. Also, the way any longhair handles their hair, I don't know how to say it - there is a connection. Almost like another limb? But a very beautiful limb!

Tea Lady

gossamer
January 15th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Too long? Hmm, I don't know. It's such a personal decision. I don't think there is any detachment between the longhair and the long hair. It starts in one place and ends in another but it's still my hair! I have had the privilege of seeing some amazingly long hair up close at long hair meets (Dianyla, gossamer). Their hair never seemed too long, simply inspired me to keep going. Also, the way any longhair handles their hair, I don't know how to say it - there is a connection. Almost like another limb? But a very beautiful limb!

Tea Lady

:inlove: Funny you bring up the connection issue - I definitely feel like my hair is very much a part of me. The limb comparison isn't even that weird! I used to complain about it sometimes when I hadn't really figured out how to make it cooperate - "It's like an extra arm, but one I can't control!" - but now it's very much an extension of how I move. I unconsciously lift my braid as I sit or flip my hair around my neck so I can put on a coat.

If someone were to criticize my hair, it would feel a bit like someone telling me my face looks weird. Or that I have strange feet, or something else like that integral to my body. I know the analogy breaks down when you consider that I can change my hair much more easily than I can change my face, but I do feel like my hair is a part of my identity, just as what I see when I look in the mirror makes up how I see myself.

Amber_Maiden
January 16th, 2012, 05:19 AM
:inlove: Funny you bring up the connection issue - I definitely feel like my hair is very much a part of me. The limb comparison isn't even that weird! I used to complain about it sometimes when I hadn't really figured out how to make it cooperate - "It's like an extra arm, but one I can't control!" - but now it's very much an extension of how I move. I unconsciously lift my braid as I sit or flip my hair around my neck so I can put on a coat.

If someone were to criticize my hair, it would feel a bit like someone telling me my face looks weird. Or that I have strange feet, or something else like that integral to my body. I know the analogy breaks down when you consider that I can change my hair much more easily than I can change my face, but I do feel like my hair is a part of my identity, just as what I see when I look in the mirror makes up how I see myself.

EXACTLY how I feel.

gretchen_hair
January 16th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I am sure that *they* would disagree with you.

I think we all have a limit for ourselves, of what is long and enough and too long, for us, on our own bodies.

Although the hair in these photos is very long, I doubt that the ladies walk around town dragging it on the ground. I am certain it is in an updo, a bun, under a scarf, protected and secure in some way. They did not gain that length by dragging their hair through the city streets.

Also, it is not your decision to say how long anothers hair should be, how they should carry it (with pride and gentle care for example) and assuming that they drag their hair around. It is down in the photo shoot to show the length, I doubt they ride public transportation like that.

If you come on a long hair forum and state that *you would argue and say there is such a thing as too long hair*, then you are going to receive and argument. :flower:

Maybe worrying about your own hair and it's length and care is the best thing and not worrying about anyone elses hair length and routine so that you can put them down about it would be best discussed elsewhere? (not a long hair forum where we embrace individuality and encourage people to make their own decisions and wear their own hair as they see fit)

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2077/79/94/70697546456/n70697546456_1970878_1948.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2077/79/94/70697546456/n70697546456_1976415_172.jpg

Loreley
January 16th, 2012, 07:39 AM
For me there's such thing as too long hair. But it's just that some people like how long hair looks - at any length - some not. I don't really like beyond floor length hair. On others I admire calf, ankle or floor length but I wouldn't grow my hair that long. It wouldn't look good on me, although I like it on others. Probably I'll never grow my hair longer than knee length. On myself that is the longest I could like.

gretchen_hair
January 16th, 2012, 07:39 AM
But many of us here post our pictures to show off the length as well, how is that any different?

People ask to see it and then make negative remarks about it. You can't win for losing it seems.

Hairizona
January 16th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Just looked at my post on this thread and need to clarify that I do not believe the people who grow their hair out to beyond their height let it drag on the ground or treat it poorly; on the contrary, for it to grow to such lengths they are treating it with love and respect!

Maverick494
January 16th, 2012, 09:11 AM
You know what´s funny, one of the top threads in this forum is about someone´s pet peeve over the mandatory cropped cuts at age 40, and not one of the posts in it attacked the OP for saying that.

Here in this thread is someone who stated an opinion on ultra long hair that -when let loose- drags across the floor. What happens: all out of the sudden people get offended and angry. :rolleyes:

I thought such a double standard was only reserved for IMDB forums and Youtube comments. :confused:

(Ofcourse I'm not discounting the many members who have shared their opinion in a civil manner :cheese: )

As for me PERSONALLY, yes there is a limit to where hair would be too long. I don't want to be swallowed by my own hair, so to speak. Hair as long as in the pictures the OP posted is an accomplishment worthy of praise, but not something I would strive to achieve. It seems like too much a hassle and one of my goals is having hair that I think is worthy to let hang loose. Having hair that drags across the ground would take away that pleasure for me. That said, imagine the intricate, huge updo's you could do with it....:D

heidi w.
January 16th, 2012, 11:07 AM
There's a thread on Mane Forum showing a great photo of a number of long-haired ladies. Here's a link to it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85995

Hair length is a personal preference and choice. Women with hair beyond floor length do not drag their hair around on the ground. They wear their hair up ALL the time. Lady Grace spreads a big kind of sheet when she has this long of hair. I'm at mid-calf length and my hair looks its best at this length, much as I hoped for ankle length. It just looks kind of whispy and not a great hemline at ankles. So I keep it cut at precisely where things change from great to worse.

Hair this long takes a certain amount of commitment as Madora explains. And everyone is not comfortable at this length. Especially in an era where at most BSL length is considered long, from a social perspective. Hair this long must be detangled daily, put up, washed properly and a whole bunch of small details. But for me, it's not a big deal, not really. I'd rather have it long than not, so I'm willing to put the time in. Truthfully, I spend relatively little time on my hair.

I used to be into oiling my length, and I hardly do it now. Mostly because finding my fave oil is hard locally. I used to BBB a lot more often. I used to trim out split ends. I don't do that overly much.

The thing I do the most is wear it up almost all the time. I drape it above my head over a satin encased pillow, at night, and it stays put most of the time.

I know people with truly long hair. My hair just won't grow that long, but it made it the majority of my body length.

For me the biggest thing is access to products and using a comb to detangle. Just this morning I did a hair wash.

Everyone has their length of preference, and having hair this long is not that big of a hassle to care for. All the stuff people do to their hair, all this crazy stuff that I read about, most of those people will give up in time. They will either just shampoo/condition and let the hair grow, or they won't.

Washing my hair takes about 30 minutes, and all the hot water in the water heater. It takes around 4 hours and still some dampness to dry in winter. Summer it dries in around 2 hours, the bulk of it. I wash around once a week when I have access to my good shampoo. I'm unemployed and trying to save on shampoo and conditioner, so now I'm washing about once every two weeks. I can't do that in summer though. Just impossible.

People occasionally suggest cutting it, but most of the time people think it's cool. But most people have no idea my hair is this long; that's how often I wear it up.

heidi w.

heidi w.
January 16th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Women with hair this long, when they wear it down, drape it over their arm, in loops so it won't be dragged on the ground.

Also, the two photos linked in the original post, show Asian women, and women in places such as China with really long hair are highly respected and regarded, unlike in the US. Different countries have very different attitudes regarding women with really long hair.

I have mostly experienced a kind of awe of my hair, but men as a whole, do not respect my choice and do not respect my hair and treat it well. In one incident, a guy wanted my hair out of his way, and simply tossed my hair in a room with a ceiling fan. Which just pissed me off. People forget that hair this long, a lot of awareness has to be kept of one's surroundings, and that is why it's just easier to wear it up all the time.

I don't have to hear people's opinions; I don't get random strangers coming up and running their fingers through it without my consent; I don't have people yanking on it; I get my tasks done in a timely manner (wearing it down means everything I want to get done during the day may well mean I have to allow more time for people to say stuff); I get stared at a whole lot less. My long hair has caused people to follow me home, say negative and positive stuff. I've had gaggles of women attack me for my preference. Most commonly, if I wear it down, people love to suggest I'm growing it to cut it off for some charity, and I don't enjoy hearing that. So, up it goes, and all this hullabaloo is skipped.

heidi w.

Mayflower
January 16th, 2012, 12:46 PM
You know what´s funny, one of the top threads in this forum is about someone´s pet peeve over the mandatory cropped cuts at age 40, and not one of the posts in it attacked the OP for saying that.

Here in this thread is someone who stated an opinion on ultra long hair that -when let loose- drags across the floor. What happens: all out of the sudden people get offended and angry. :rolleyes:

I thought such a double standard was only reserved for IMDB forums and Youtube comments. :confused:

(Ofcourse I'm not discounting the many members who have shared their opinion in a civil manner :cheese: )

As for me PERSONALLY, yes there is a limit to where hair would be too long. I don't want to be swallowed by my own hair, so to speak. Hair as long as in the pictures the OP posted is an accomplishment worthy of praise, but not something I would strive to achieve. It seems like too much a hassle and one of my goals is having hair that I think is worthy to let hang loose. Having hair that drags across the ground would take away that pleasure for me. That said, imagine the intricate, huge updo's you could do with it....:D

Yes, yes! Exactly! Someone (can't remember who) said earlier that this is a place for people with all kinds of hair and preferences, and that we treat everyone with respect regarding their personal hairchoices, yet there is this huuuuuge double standard. It seems plain hypocrite to me.

Vanille_
January 16th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I have a feeling she meant no disrespect. Probably wrote before thinking it through. Most of us have done it once or twice. I get why people are offended, but I REALLY don't think she meant any harm!

ETA: I do agree that the pictures are the bigger issue. If I were her, I would remove the pictures and just explain she is talking about hair longer than feet.

jeanniet
January 16th, 2012, 12:50 PM

We need to be clear that the issue is not so much that the OP doesn't like hair of that length, for whatever reason, but that she posted pictures as examples. I would feel the same way if she posted pictures of ultra-short hair, bleached hair, etc. I don't care if anyone posts pictures of themself to say their hair looks terrible, but don't post pictures of someone else and then criticize their hair--especially if you have no idea if that person is a member here.

I'm sure the OP would be deeply hurt if she posted her picture and received critical comments on it--it's too short, too long, too something. All of us would be in that situation. This really isn't any different.

jeanniet
January 16th, 2012, 12:53 PM
we treat everyone with respect regarding their personal hairchoices

I really don't see where this was the case with the OP. It's not her hair in the pictures.

ETA: Although you hit the nail on the head as to what this forum is, or should be, about: respect for personal choices regarding our hair, especially long hair.

Mayflower
January 16th, 2012, 01:04 PM
We need to be clear that the issue is not so much that the OP doesn't like hair of that length, for whatever reason, but that she posted pictures as examples. I would feel the same way if she posted pictures of ultra-short hair, bleached hair, etc. I don't care if anyone posts pictures of themself to say their hair looks terrible, but don't post pictures of someone else and then criticize their hair--especially if you have no idea if that person is a member here.

I'm sure the OP would be deeply hurt if she posted her picture and received critical comments on it--it's too short, too long, too something. All of us would be in that situation. This really isn't any different.

I certainly agree with you on that, inserting pictures of strangers is not the best idea. But I don't think a whole thread (numerous threads actually) about how ugly and old-looking shorter haircuts are on 40+ women is respectful either, even if they don't show pictures as an example, we are still laughing at those women. If new members here who are "older women" with the short haircut read that thread and see how everyone says that that type of hair makes people look older instead of younger, they would be hurt too, even if they were planning on growing out their hair.

MissHair
January 16th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Well, this turned out to be quite the controversy. Oh well, it's a discussion forum that's what it's for. And if Im considered rude, mean, judgemental, inappropriate, that's up to everyone and Im not taking your opinions away from you just as I've got my own on specific matters. I didn't go with the mindset to deliberately be insulting. Maybe I could have refrased my initial statement but Im not going to change any of it. To the person who said I would be deeply hurt if someone insulted me, no, I wouldn't. I don't get easily offended actually. But for future reference I can see that almost everyone else here does. So, you learn something new everyday. I was up for a discussion and I see I definitely managed to get a lively one.

I also think it's very hypocritical to openly judge 40+ women with short haircuts (see, that could have been my mum by the way, but since I don't feel offended I also don't care, everyones entitled to their opinions) and then go about being so offended by comments of long hair. Let's be real, everyone here started out with short hair one way or the other. But Im done for now, carry on as you were..

Mayflower
January 16th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I really don't see where this was the case with the OP. It's not her hair in the pictures.

ETA: Although you hit the nail on the head as to what this forum is, or should be, about: respect for personal choices regarding our hair, especially long hair.

I was merely quoting another person here on the thread so I shouldn't get the credit for those words:p! And I do feel like this is a respectful forum, I just think we must admit the double standard here, as Maverick494 said.

Vanille_
January 16th, 2012, 01:14 PM
One more thing. If anyone is offended, there is a report button.

jeanniet
January 16th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Well, this turned out to be quite the controversy. Oh well, it's a discussion forum that's what it's for. And if Im considered rude, mean, judgemental, inappropriate, that's up to everyone and Im not taking your opinions away from you just as I've got my own on specific matters. I didn't go with the mindset to deliberately be insulting. Maybe I could have refrased my initial statement but Im not going to change any of it. To the person who said I would be deeply hurt if someone insulted me, no, I wouldn't. I don't get easily offended actually. But for future reference I can see that almost everyone else here does. So, you learn something new everyday. I was up for a discussion and I see I definitely managed to get a lively one.

I also think it's very hypocritical to openly judge 40+ women with short haircuts (see, that could have been my mum by the way, but since I don't feel offended I also don't care, everyones entitled to their opinions) and then go about being so offended by comments of long hair. Let's be real, everyone here started out with short hair one way or the other. But Im done for now, carry on as you were..
I don't think we should criticize women with short hair, either, although I don't see anything wrong with saying something like "I like long hair on older women much better than short." While I don't believe that you meant to be offensive, I do wish that you could see that posting pictures of hair you don't like could be hurtful. Were you aware that one of the women whose picture you posted is a member here?

sfgirl
January 16th, 2012, 02:22 PM

I always thought it was so funny how it's offensive to go up and call someone fat, but it's ok to call someone out about being thin. Don't even get me started on the teasing in middle school, and even now people ask me how much I weigh. You would not do that to someone else who is bigger, so why someone is thin? Do people think I can't feel bad about my body too? Sorry, personal rant.
I'm so sorry about your back issues though! I get tremors in my arms and legs, and I always have people ask why I'm shaking, maybe I should eat something, maybe I should put on sweater on, blah, blah, blah.

I do agree that this thread would have been fantastic if it was "what is too long for you" thread.

Catia
January 16th, 2012, 03:23 PM

(bolding mine)

No double standard. Not a single person faulted anyone for their *opinion* here.

You don't have to LIKE anything. You don't even have to quantify your opinions with anything more then preference. That is valid in and of itself. What isn't valid is putting forth false assumptions to back it.

There have been several super-longhairs that posted dispute on these things ... NOT the opinions. I used to have beyond floor length hair. I don't now and am happy with what I have. Opinions don't "shatter" me. I just thought that people with the initiative to join a LONG HAIR community in the first place would have the initiative to investigate the life of a super-longhair before casting dispersions.

I would HOPE that this community could be a softer place to land for us Long haired freaks. I mean ... do you have any clue what it's like to have ignorant RUDE people come up to you every day and ask "how you use the bathroom" or "how do you have sex" with all that hair ... and those are pretty tame ones too. EVERY. DAY. And all you want to do is buy your loaf of bread and go home. People suck. People suck because they lack empathy.

Long haired freaks don't want or need you to like our hair - but our hair can't be used as an excuse to not respect us as people.

(The preceding was not specifically directed at OP but more as a general service announcement. Thank you)

Amber_Maiden
January 16th, 2012, 03:42 PM
(bolding mine)

No double standard. Not a single person faulted anyone for their *opinion* here.

You don't have to LIKE anything. You don't even have to quantify your opinions with anything more then preference. That is valid in and of itself. What isn't valid is putting forth false assumptions to back it.

There have been several super-longhairs that posted dispute on these things ... NOT the opinions. I used to have beyond floor length hair. I don't now and am happy with what I have. Opinions don't "shatter" me. I just thought that people with the initiative to join a LONG HAIR community in the first place would have the initiative to investigate the life of a super-longhair before casting dispersions.

I would HOPE that this community could be a softer place to land for us Long haired freaks. I mean ... do you have any clue what it's like to have ignorant RUDE people come up to you every day and ask "how you use the bathroom" or "how do you have sex" with all that hair ... and those are pretty tame ones too. EVERY. DAY. And all you want to do is buy your loaf of bread and go home. People suck. People suck because they lack empathy.

Long haired freaks don't want or need you to like our hair - but our hair can't be used as an excuse to not respect us as people.

(The preceding was not specifically directed at OP but more as a general service announcement. Thank you)

Very well said!!!
I think one of the reasons I personally got upset was not because of anyone's opinions, but the way the OP stated what she thought of long hair and what long hair people did. It was offensive. I consider LHC a safe place for like minded people to get together, people who enjoy long hair. Doesn't mean they have to agree about length, etc- but I think it should be a place of respect and empathy. The real world is harsh enough, we don't need long hair bashers here.

HintOfMint
January 16th, 2012, 03:47 PM
This forum has been the one thing that has taught me in adulthood that if I can't say anything nice or productive, don't say anything at all.

While we intellectually know this in adulthood, being considerate has become a bit of a joke. Plenty of adults hide behind computer screens and judge and mock others, when, in the words of Carrie Fisher, "what the **** do YOU look like?" And I thought that was normal and okay until I came here and got the lesson of a lifetime.

There is hair that doesn't fit my personal tastes, but now I never say it because clearly it makes the wearer happy. And who am I to think I am the arbiter of all things stylish? This forum gave me a crash course in being considerate as an adult and it translates to real life.

Granted, there is some short-hair bashing on older women which pre-dates this thread, that I'm not a fan of. As the OP said in a later post, that could be my mother you're talking about. Many women's hair thins out with age and they don't like how it looks when it's long anymore. Or maybe, Maybe, they like it short. Sure, many women judge long haired women and admonish them for not acting their age, but we don't have to take short-haired older women as a group and bash them. That's not the high road, and you're unfairly criticizing people who could not give a flying rat's patooty of our high falutin' hair.

This thread makes me sad because this isn't the place to air discussions like this. Just because its an opinion, doesn't mean it needs airtime. Who on earth cares what we DON'T like, especially on a perfect stranger? We can have opinions, and sometimes it can be nice to just dish, but frankly I'd rather that be in private, orally, and not in pixels on a public forum.

I'm sorry if I came off as morality-policing, that is not my intent. But I found this thread to be unnecessary and it flew in the face of what I thought this forum was about.

kidari
January 16th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Too long would obviously be different for everyone. Personally for me it's any length that would be difficult to wear down while out and about asides from the obvious when it becomes too much of a hassle to take care of. For me my limit and views always change and I've never had even waist length hair before but for now too long for myself would be any longer than tailbone length. Who knows though I used to say I only wanted hair that was APL and never any longer and now I'm thinking I'll be satisfied when it reaches hip sometime next year hopefully.

Long_hair_bear
January 16th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Again, silly discussion. The women in the picture obviously don't care what other people think else they'd have cut it off long ago. I'm personally impressed that they have the will power and the drive to take care of that much hair. My hair is a pain in the rear and it's just to bsl. :D

nellreno
January 16th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Nope.

As I'm letting my hair grow out there will probably be a point where it becomes a struggle to keep it managed and in nice condition, and any longer than that point will be too long *for me*. But I don't think there's a length that's too long across the board.

mzBANGBANG
January 16th, 2012, 04:07 PM
After going through this entire thread and SMH, I figured I too would open myself up as a target and defend the OP.

To me, this is no different than asking your preference on anything fashionable. I'd say it like asking if you'd ever wear UGG boots, but it's a part of the body... so maybe it's more like would you ever dread your hair (I really dislike dreads), would you ever shave it (I've been bald on purpose)?

As a society, there are accepted cultural norms and usually they don't get too much attention. Then there are things that get a LOT of attention (one thing that stands out to me recently was the little boy on Dr. Phil who liked wearing pink dresses and was a princess for Halloween). I've been the center of attention for the "freak show" aspect myself -- and it wasn't just my hair! I have a lazy eye, I've pierced my septum, had a mowhawk, the list goes on! Honestly, if you can't handle someone's opinion on whether hair is too long, then why welcome the attention? Power to these women for being themselves but the obvious answer is if it isn't a cultural norm, it will be up for discussion!

Another thing I'd like to point out is the pictures that were originally posted are widely famous, I've seen them so many times and these women know they are up for discussion. It's a part of having the longest hair in the world!

And since I thought it was a nifty question, I will give my answer:

For me, yes there is hair too long! If I could grow a super thick mane down to my fingertips, I would. Unfortunately it looks like my hair is on the thinner side of ii and I won't make it that far (but I'll try!). With hair that begins to drag on the floor, my first thought was how would I keep it from getting stuck in the drain in the shower? Lol

heidi w.
January 16th, 2012, 04:24 PM
As a society, there are accepted cultural norms and usually they don't get too much attention. Then there are things that get a LOT of attention (one thing that stands out to me recently was the little boy on Dr. Phil who liked wearing pink dresses and was a princess for Halloween). I've been the center of attention for the "freak show" aspect myself -- and it wasn't just my hair! I have a lazy eye, I've pierced my septum, had a mowhawk, the list goes on! Honestly, if you can't handle someone's opinion on whether hair is too long, then why welcome the attention? Power to these women for being themselves but the obvious answer is if it isn't a cultural norm, it will be up for discussion!

Another thing I'd like to point out is the pictures that were originally posted are widely famous, I've seen them so many times and these women know they are up for discussion. It's a part of having the longest hair in the world!

All which is another reason I wear my hair up the majority of the time, including at home.

I'm not interested in other people's opinions of my hair length choice. I am FULLY aware that the universe I reside in isn't really pro-hair, or even very interested in my why. They just want to say what they have to say, most of the time, and have me just stand there and listen.

Wearing it up closes the conversation. Just today I did wear it down (quite rare) because I was drying it from a hair wash this morning. If I wear it up all wet, it just stays went all day and well into the next day. My friend joked I must be getting hit on all day (but that almost never happens whenever I wear my hair down). I wore it down in what I consider a safe place. At the wifi cafe that I frequent (I don't have internet at home.), and most of the attendees know me; we all know each other by name. However, one of the clerks had never seen my hair down and had no idea my hair was that long. Aside: I had another clerk snap a quick photo of my hair so I could check how things are lookin' behind me. She's a nice lady. Everything's lookin' good back there, thankfully.

And yes, these pictures posted by the OP are well-known and have been around for a number of years, I believe.

heidi w.

heidi w.
January 16th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Again, silly discussion. The women in the picture obviously don't care what other people think else they'd have cut it off long ago. I'm personally impressed that they have the will power and the drive to take care of that much hair. My hair is a pain in the rear and it's just to bsl. :D

Under your Avatar it says "Pa" which I take to mean Pennsylvania? If I have that right, there's a good chance that you don't live in a culture that values long hair as these people do that were linked in. That's a big part of this discussion we're having in my mind. There are still a few places left in the world where long hair is considered a value.

And for general readers, there's another thread regarding a CNN.com article (I think it is) covering 5 hair myths, and in it the bias is clearly towards rocking a short, sassy haircut. Well, who's gonna grow long hair when over and over again we're told it's a hassle, a pain, old fashioned, and shorter hair is more in fashion. That's the cultural value system we live in here in the US.

People are truly perplexed as to why I have long hair, and I simply can't explain it other than I just like it more than short hair. It's that simple to me. I feel unfeminine, rather, with short hair.

I think it's very important to keep in mind the cultural value system a society holds as it concerns this type of discussion.

I also believe, STRONGLY, that people have their length of comfort, and I am the first to admit that uber long tresses isn't for everyone.

I respect everyone's choice for themself.

heidi w.

heidi w.
January 16th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Over Christmas I watched a video discussing the work and the huge shift that Vidal Sassoon gave us. I really liked it, and I thought his precision work phenomenal, but I wouldn't want one of those cuts for myself. His look was purposefully angular, and "modern" -- reflecting the change in hair in the 60s. He was reflecting in hair the interest in "modern" elsewhere in the UK and US such as in architecture. The video gave me a very interesting view upon his work, and explained his relevance and importance to me, and by the end of the video, I entirely understood his interest.

I recommend this movie for those interested in hair design and hair history.

heidi w.

Long_hair_bear
January 16th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Under your Avatar it says "Pa" which I take to mean Pennsylvania? If I have that right, there's a good chance that you don't live in a culture that values long hair as these people do that were linked in. That's a big part of this discussion we're having in my mind. There are still a few places left in the world where long hair is considered a value.

And for general readers, there's another thread regarding a CNN.com article (I think it is) covering 5 hair myths, and in it the bias is clearly towards rocking a short, sassy haircut. Well, who's gonna grow long hair when over and over again we're told it's a hassle, a pain, old fashioned, and shorter hair is more in fashion. That's the cultural value system we live in here in the US.

People are truly perplexed as to why I have long hair, and I simply can't explain it other than I just like it more than short hair. It's that simple to me. I feel unfeminine, rather, with short hair. I say it's a silly discussion because we all have our different opinions and there's no use jumping down each others throats for them. That's how online communities break up. :(

I think it's very important to keep in mind the cultural value system a society holds as it concerns this type of discussion.

I also believe, STRONGLY, that people have their length of comfort, and I am the first to admit that uber long tresses isn't for everyone.

I respect everyone's choice for themself.

heidi w.

Actually, I wasn't brought up in PA and haven't lived here long. I personally don't care what my "culture" says; I value long hair and think its well worth the effort, just like many on here. I consider it a great value and wouldn't cut my hair for anything. :cheese: I say it's a silly discussion because everyone has different opinions and there's no use jumping down each others throats about it.

heidi w.
January 16th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Actually, I wasn't brought up in PA and haven't lived here long. I personally don't care what my "culture" says; I value long hair and think its well worth the effort, just like many on here. I consider it a great value and wouldn't cut my hair for anything. :cheese: I say it's a silly discussion because everyone has different opinions and there's no use jumping down each others throats about it.

I wasn't trying to jump down anyone's throat; I was aiming for a more general thing that your input caused me to think.

We all live in some kind of cultural setting, and even if we don't agree with what's going on in the world around us, the world around us does effect us.

I'm glad you enjoy your hair. That's important.

I am like you: I value my hair and don't care about other people's opinions; yet, if I wear my hair down, I can count on comments, some positive, some not so much. It comes with the territory.

I am sorry if I seemed too personal and personally attacking you. That was NOT my intention at all.

heidi w.

pepperminttea
January 16th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Over Christmas I watched a video discussing the work and the huge shift that Vidal Sassoon gave us. I really liked it, and I thought his precision work phenomenal, but I wouldn't want one of those cuts for myself. His look was purposefully angular, and "modern" -- reflecting the change in hair in the 60s. He was reflecting in hair the interest in "modern" elsewhere in the UK and US such as in architecture. The video gave me a very interesting view upon his work, and explained his relevance and importance to me, and by the end of the video, I entirely understood his interest.

heidi w.

Was this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017pj2l) the show you saw? :) I missed it a couple of months ago when it was shown here, now I'm wondering if I should look it up.

Amber_Maiden
January 16th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Was this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017pj2l) the show you saw? :) I missed it a couple of months ago when it was shown here, now I'm wondering if I should look it up.

That looks really neat!!

berr
January 16th, 2012, 05:46 PM

Disagree.. because however anyone wants to wear their hair is their own business. Tell ya what... when her hair wraps around her feet and ankles I'm POSITIVE she knows it's not detached. LOL

berr
January 16th, 2012, 05:53 PM

heidi w.

I've watched that documentary and posted when it was HBO somewhere on the forum back when it was being run. Awesome insight into a unique man. His hairstyles were very cookie cutter and utilitarian, so not for me, of course. I was very impressed with his drive for success and his personal discipline.

Emmental
January 16th, 2012, 06:22 PM
For me? Absolutely.

I only read a little bit of this thread, but I find it amusing that people can openly bash short hair and yet, if someone starts a thread asking if hair can be "too long", it's a controversy. We are talking about hair here!

Lexy
January 16th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Closing this thread due to excessive negativity.