PDA

View Full Version : Short hair envy

Exodus
July 15th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Or really, not short hair envy but the ability to look good in short hair / with shaved head -envy.

I'm growing my natural colour out right now. It's 9 months and 1 week since I henndigoed my hair for the last time. And I'm so sick and tired of seeing the dyed parts of my hair. My plan is to cut the henna off in the beginning of next summer, in June, about 11 moths from now. But sometimes I just feel I want to cut it off NOW. But I can't. Because I look like an idiot with short hair. Like an immature idiot. It's just something with my face, and the shape off my head, I need hair to balance that up. And it's that bad, everybody I know agree, short hair is. Not. For. Me.

Damnit! I have two friends (or the one may be an ex-friend of mine now) that both have short hair, very short hair. I mean one of them has had totally shaved head a couple of times and look fantastic with it. And the other one, about a half inch of hair and she looks so good. But me...

Why can't I look good in short hair too so I could cut this stupid henna off?!

Eleven months to go, before I cut it, and still it will be so short then that I look like a 12-years old idiot.

Did I mention that my hair grows slow? A maximum of 1 cm per moth.

Life is soo unfair!

It's a pain in the a** to grow out the henna/henndigo! ARGH!!!!

Sorry for the rant. I'm having a "I'm so sick of my hair -day"

bex487
July 15th, 2008, 09:31 AM
My sympathies go out to you. :( I too am growing out dye, and luckily I got the dyed bits re-dyed to match my natural color as best as possible. It's a close (but not perfect) match.

Have you ever considered going to a hair salon for a consultation, and seeing if they can recommend a short cut that will look good on you? I think many face shapes can pull off shorter hair, and perhaps you just haven't found your cut yet.

vampodrama
July 15th, 2008, 12:40 PM
yep, it takes a certain type of face to pull off short hair... funny that I'm saying it, I've had short hair (and even a buzzcut) for the majority of my life. I'm not sure if I have that kind of face or not, and what exactly my excuse is/was, heh... but yes, short hair on the right kind of face/look is very much awesome. thankfully there are many kinds of short hair, you can probably find one that would suit you.

Ohio Sky
July 15th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I agree. I think the only person I've ever seen in my life that really could not pull off short hair is Cher. If your face isn't longer that your torso, it shouldn't be a problem. You just gotta find the right stylist. There's websites out there where you can upload your picture and play around with different styles.

harley mama
July 15th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I can't do short hair either. I look like my grandpa when my hair is short! :o

I had a dear friend that had a beautifully shaped head and looked wonderful with short hair. I think having a small head helps. My noggin is huge!

Honey39
July 15th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I have fantasies about short hair too - but then, in my head, my hair when short would be soft, silk and straight like Demi Moore's in Ghost or something. I have to remind myself that it would look exactly the same as now, only shorter. And to be honest, length WORKS on my hair, it makes it look thick and lustrous and curly etc. When it's short, it just looks bushy and triangular, lol!!!

Not saying it's the same for you, but when I think about short hair, it's miraculously different in my head to the stuff I've really got!! I just bring the ends up to my ears, and the desire goes...

Could you wear your hair up in really cute, relaxed, fun styles? Sort of dishevilled and messy, and playful? That's a style that only works for me when my hair is quite short, and I REALLY like it!

Coffeebug
July 15th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I got my hair cut short and looked just awful LOL I had no idea that it could go that horribly wrong - that's kind of the reason I never went back to a hairdressers, really!

wintersun99
July 15th, 2008, 01:18 PM

thankyousir74
July 15th, 2008, 01:20 PM
When it's short, it just looks bushy and triangular, lol!!!

::raises hand:: that was me a couple of months ago heee

WaimeaWahine
July 15th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Having had short hair my whole life and a shaved head for about 6 years, I don't miss it.

Generally the only people who can pull off a shaved head have small features, small head, and ears that don't stick out. But I've seen it on many women who had things like large noses and it was still pretty. Personality matters!

Sometimes the sensation and awareness from having a shaved head is something I miss a lot. I don't miss short hair though or all the hassles of growing out various styles that leave hair in various lengths.

My father once said, "You look just like you did when you were born" when my head was shaved. ;)

Curlsgirl
July 15th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I have seen very few people that look good with a shaved head! But maybe it's just that I like HAIR :D I can pull off short hair IF I have some hair around my face, some going a bit over my ears and bangs to soften it but I like long hair better on me. My hubby loves long hair too which is another reason I am growing mine out.

Sorry you are annoyed at your hair today, hope tomorrow is better. HUGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs!!!

janaana
July 15th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Could you perhaps get rid of some of your dye without losing all your length by having a layered style until you are ready to trim it back? Your profile says you have wavy medium thickness hair and I have often seen this type of hair looking nice with layers in it. I've even seen a few people with medium to long layered cuts that have been deliberately dyed on the ends to show off the layers.

neenerbabe
July 15th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I hear you with the short hair dilemma. When I was 17 I chopped my waist length hair (arg, why?!) until it was boy-short. I stopped getting wolf whistles on the street, and one day at the library when I was wearing my comfy camo pants and a baggy shirt, I had a teenage girl come up and blatantly flirt with me. To this day I'm still not certain whether or not she knew I was a girl!! I totally look like a boy with short hair.:rolleyes:

However, I think two-toned hair is kind of wicked looking.;) Hang in there, and rock it!

DecafJane
July 15th, 2008, 04:51 PM
However, I think two-toned hair is kind of wicked looking.;) Hang in there, and rock it!

I agree - you can have MUCH more fun with this than with short hair! My ultra-short cut suited me, but in the end I hated it and I HATED growing it out, and am STILL hating the fact that it would be a lot longer if I hadn't cut it off. Live and learn. ;)
As you know, if you chop it all off it will take forever to reach a length were it looks decent again, because of your growth rate. :(

Exodus
July 15th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Could you perhaps get rid of some of your dye without losing all your length by having a layered style until you are ready to trim it back? Your profile says you have wavy medium thickness hair and I have often seen this type of hair looking nice with layers in it. I've even seen a few people with medium to long layered cuts that have been deliberately dyed on the ends to show off the layers.

I actually have layers in my hair right now. I used the ponytail cutting method to cut layers in my hair, and the reason was to get rid of some of the hennaed hair without loosing to much lenght.

Exodus
July 15th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I hear you with the short hair dilemma. When I was 17 I chopped my waist length hair (arg, why?!) until it was boy-short. I stopped getting wolf whistles on the street, and one day at the library when I was wearing my comfy camo pants and a baggy shirt, I had a teenage girl come up and blatantly flirt with me. To this day I'm still not certain whether or not she knew I was a girl!! I totally look like a boy with short hair.:rolleyes:

Myself, I hate the look of two-toned hair (at least my own). Having two-toned dyed vs natural hair, it just looks so unkept. I really don't like it. And the difference between my natural colour and the hennaed/henndigoed parts is very big, doesn't match at all. And just make me feel ugly and stuff.

neenerbabe
July 16th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Maybe you could post a photo of your hair so we could all suggest some hairdo's that might make it look more interesting? And a kerchief would cover up a lot of it, looks especially cute in summer. I'm thinking about getting some silk ones to wear, in pretty prints, just for those crazy hair days.

Isilme
July 16th, 2008, 06:31 AM
if you think you would look like an idiot (which I doubt really :)) when you cut it off next year, why not look like an idiot now and save yourself some of the growing out pain? If you cut it now you will only have short virgin hair.
BUT, if you plan on cutting either way and don't like short, dye your hair to match. Ok, I know, dye damages, but you will slowly cut out the dyed bits exactly the same way as you cut your henna out, with the difference of having matched the colours.

sexyjacksparrow
July 16th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I love the look of short hair on some people too. My hair always stays around shoulder length because it won't grow longer (hopefully one day...) and it looks dredful shorter. I had it cut properly short when I was 15 and that - couple with my weight - made me look about 40.

Not that's there's anything wrong with being or looking 40, but you know what I mean.

Kerry xx

Exodus
July 16th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Maybe you could post a photo of your hair so we could all suggest some hairdo's that might make it look more interesting? And a kerchief would cover up a lot of it, looks especially cute in summer. I'm thinking about getting some silk ones to wear, in pretty prints, just for those crazy hair days.

Oh, now we are here again, someone wants pictures. How troublesome. I have found my camera, but I would need someone to take pictures for me, since I just have small mirrors in my bathroom that doesn't work to take a picture of my hair.

if you think you would look like an idiot (which I doubt really :)) when you cut it off next year, why not look like an idiot now and save yourself some of the growing out pain? If you cut it now you will only have short virgin hair.
BUT, if you plan on cutting either way and don't like short, dye your hair to match. Ok, I know, dye damages, but you will slowly cut out the dyed bits exactly the same way as you cut your henna out, with the difference of having matched the colours.

I have thought about cutting it now, and use makeup, clothes and accessories to draw away the attention from the hair. But, there is also this thing that I want to wait to cut because I want to have the hennaed hair as a buffer, so I don't have to start trimming of the undyed hair before it's longer.

Haith
July 16th, 2008, 07:34 AM
My mom had long hair (waist length) for most of her life, but when she was 35 she decided that she didn't want it anymore. She literally shaved her hair to 1cm, and she loved it! She's worn it short (1-2 inches) since, and she looks great! Whenever people talk about her hair, and say "I would love to cut my hair that short, but I just don't think it would look good on me", she always replies that if you look good with your hair up, you'll look good with very short hair. She has mentioned to me, though, that for a while after the cut she wore really big earrings every day because her head felt "naked". Ha ha. She had tried to grow it out since, but it never reaches her shoulders before she starts to miss her super-short hair.

Exodus
July 16th, 2008, 09:47 AM
But looking good in a updo is not the same thing as looking good in short hair. If I have my hair in a bun it covers my head in a different way than short hair would do, and lays in a different way. It's not true that if you look good with your hair up you automatically look good with short hair.

But I do start to feel very tempted to just cut the henna off right now. But the cons are stronger than the pros still:

Pros:

-don't have to think about growing out colour anymore, just have to grow my hair long

Cons:

- I need to have some girly assets (longish hair) since I'm flat-chested and isn't that feminine

- The buffer thing: Ok, now my ends go bad rather quickly, henna actually made my hair weaker, my natural hair is stronger, but anyway

- Since I'm going to cut my hair myself, I figure it will be easier when it's longer

I'm going to trim my hair a little the first of August, have to see then how much goes off.

wintersun99
July 16th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I was agonizing over cutting the majority of damage out of my hair (had one huge chop in Oct) and I needed another. I was whining to my dad about my hair being so short (SL) and that I still needed to cut (to mid-neck) and that I was afraid I was going to end up looking like a boy... my dad tells me "put a skirt on, you won't look like a boy" well, duh - it was pretty cut and dry for him, but I realized then, that my perception was mostly in my head.

dor3girl
July 16th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I totally feel the message! I see some women who look great in short hair & I go "wow"--I would totally do that if I would look good in it. I usually just look chubby in short hair *waah* or my hair gets all greasy when it's short (even if the cut is great)--maybe when I am older & if I go bleach blonde. . . (less grease?)

MeMyselfandI
July 16th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Exodus,

I feel for you , I understand aoubt hair taking so long to grow.

I never have short hair envy. I have done short hair. I can't style my hair, I can't stand a blow dryer. I wash and wear my hair.

Have you taken a look at the Honey thread and the newer methods of lifting colour? Since you have 11 months to wait, why not try lifting as much colour off as possible now.

Honey tread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=45

Also have you tryed the SMT to condition your ends. Maybe your hair will not look as bad growing out.

SMT: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128&highlight=SMT+treatment

Is it only henna that you want to grow out?

neenerbabe
July 16th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Oh, now we are here again, someone wants pictures. How troublesome.

LOL, sorry, people tend to think I'm troublesome. :D Apologies for putting you on the spot.

Exodus
July 16th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Exodus,

I feel for you , I understand aoubt hair taking so long to grow.

I never have short hair envy. I have done short hair. I can't style my hair, I can't stand a blow dryer. I wash and wear my hair.

Have you taken a look at the Honey thread and the newer methods of lifting colour? Since you have 11 months to wait, why not try lifting as much colour off as possible now.

Honey tread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=45

Also have you tryed the SMT to condition your ends. Maybe your hair will not look as bad growing out.

SMT: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128&highlight=SMT+treatment

Is it only henna that you want to grow out?

I don't understand that question; only the henna I want to grow out?
I want to get rid of the henna, then grow my virgin hair looong.

And oh, I have tried to lift the henna off. Nothing I have done so far has done anything. It's just waste of time, I have so much henna build-up.

bte
July 16th, 2008, 10:52 AM
What about having lots of small trims to maintain length and de-henna gradually?

Tangles
July 16th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I sometimes have chin-length bob envy, but I can't say I've ever had short short hair envy. However, the thought of having to take a blow dryer to my head daily makes me want to crawl in a hole and die, so yeah.

Pegasus Marsters
July 16th, 2008, 12:11 PM
It could just be that you had BAD short cuts... I looked dreadful with short hair when I was younger, but last year I got a pixie cut and I thought it was pretty damn cute! Maybe you need to talk to a hairstylist who can advise you on the best cut for your face shape? And if you ask they'll give you a cut that grows out nicely ^.^

SapphireStitche
July 16th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I know short hair envy. I love the cute little Meg Ryan pixie cut she had in that movie French Kiss and went out and got it a few years ago. It was great for about 2 weeks :::pout:::

I really don't know what had possessed me to do something like that as I like having longer hair since my mother kept it so short when I was little that everyone kept calling me a boy but I did it and kicked myself for a couple years while it grew back, lol.

AutumnLeaves
July 16th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I've always liked some of the short hair styles too, but I've never looked right in them either. Of course I of the horse face should have expected no less. Funny that long hair pulled up and back does look halfway decent though...

Melisande
July 16th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I have a weird skull shape, as though someone had cut off part of my skull. Just an ugly flattish plateau on back of my head. I have to disguise it with a bit of fullness which is hard to do with my mostly limp hair.

and it makes me look completely ridiculous with short hair. I never had shorter hair than a bob anyway.

Besides, I have a huge nose, short neck and look like a wuswus without hair framing these horrible features ;-)

WaimeaWahine
July 16th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Cons:

- I need to have some girly assets (longish hair) since I'm flat-chested and isn't that feminine.

Minor thread diversion...

I do not think that women who are flat chested are less feminine or that women with long hair are more feminine.

How you feel about yourself is projected outward. Before landing here, I met a young woman who had fabulous hair down to her thighs. But that wasn't what made her so cool. She was dressed kind of plain and appeared to be very earthy, geeky almost, and no curves.

She was very comfortable in her own skin - confident, polite, matter of fact with me and my dorky hair questions. She probably gets asked out a lot and not because of her hair or because of her body type. ;)

Exodus
July 17th, 2008, 03:42 PM
It could just be that you had BAD short cuts... I looked dreadful with short hair when I was younger, but last year I got a pixie cut and I thought it was pretty damn cute! Maybe you need to talk to a hairstylist who can advise you on the best cut for your face shape? And if you ask they'll give you a cut that grows out nicely ^.^

Pegs, it's about face and head shape too.
I remember you in you pixie and you looked very good in it. But you have much better bone structure than I have. I need some hair to hide my irregular head shape. And your hair seems to grow as fast as a doped racing horse runs.

-------

But, it feels more and more like I'm going to cut it. Now I mean. It feels as if it would be better to have it done. I'm going to get rid of the hennaed parts anyway and if I cut it now, I don't have to be frustrated about it anymore. Like, it will the shortest hair I have ver had (since I was born), but it will get just better as it grows, right?

One part of me is scared about cutting it short, I'm not a short hair person, if it weren't for the fact that I have henna to get rid of, I would never consider to cut my hair short.

But as it is now, I'm very unhappy with my hair. I do feel like a fake-longhair or something. Sounds probably insane, but it's like... Well I'm not going to keep the hennaed parts and they are the longest parts of my hair. Oh well, can't explain so people understands, but it's my feeling. And that's the strongest reason why I would cut it now. I rather feel ugly and real than fake in some way (not that my hair is pretty now, but anyway.

But still, short isn't me. What to do with short hair? I have been thinking, maybe start wearing scarves or somthing, pirate stile or so.

And I'm not going to a stylist. Would take a lifetime to find one I trust. My plan is simply to cut off the hennaed parts. Result will definitely be a very layered cut and most likely uneven. But I prefer that instead of ever more in my life regretting going to a hairdresser.

And I WANT TO cut it myself! It's kind of important for me.

So, August the 1st, either just a trim or all of the heanned parts.