PDA

View Full Version : Stalling out suggestions

jamisonlcloud
March 7th, 2008, 10:52 PM
What to do when your hair growth stalls out? Any suggestions?

Cinnamon Hair
March 7th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Nothing special, I just measure again the next month. I have quite a few months with little or no growth. Also, it may not be that your hair isn't growing, but just that the longest hairs are not showing growth. Perhaps the rest is taking a month or two to catch up. Positive thinking :)

Of course you could try scalp massages, hair vitamins, exercising more, drinking more water / eating healthy, etc.

Unnamed
March 7th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Usually I just try not to think about it. For me that includes that it's not growing and also shedding--as shedding is usually what's behind my growth stalls (ie, the longest hairs shedding out...the next hairs catch up and end up left with the same length). For me, a stall is usually 2-3 months.

I just remind myself that it'll start back up in it's own due time, and accept whether it's growing or not. I'm not saying to completely ignore your hair--but don't worry over the lack of growth/think too much about, "Why isn't it growing?/It hasn't grown for _____."

RedButterfly
March 7th, 2008, 11:39 PM
For me, scalp massages with jojoba oil helped. I also made sure that I took my daily multivitamin and exercised a bit.

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Put it up and try not to think about it too much. Just stock up on the fruits, get your vitamins and wait. Some people have three months worth of stall and then start growing again. Just take care of you :)

Elbereth
March 8th, 2008, 02:25 AM
I don't think there is much to do except wait and try to be patient. Of course, this only holds if your basic routine is good.
Hair just does what it wants and sometimes it rests for some time. As hair gets longer, it will often enter to a noticeable resting phase every now and then. This phase can last one month, three months, six months, even longer (though that is rare). Then it will start growing again.

Carina
March 8th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I don't measure my hair at all.My only measures is bsl,waist,hip and so on.I have one little inch left to bsl.Guess who is loooking at her bra strap almost everyday:o.My hair grows better in the winter than summer:confused:.I usually wear my hair in updos most of the time.

florenonite
March 8th, 2008, 04:23 AM
I just put it up and forget about it. Then, of course, I'm reminded of it whenever I see any threads about hair length.

tiny_teesha
March 8th, 2008, 05:25 AM
cry........

LOL!

FrannyG
March 8th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Just keep taking good care of your hair. Do deep treatments, and pamper your hair. That won't make it grow faster, but it will make you feel good about your hair and give you the feeling that you love it again.

Use this time to try out some new styles. Your hair will be visibly growing before you know it. :flowers:

talullah
March 8th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I've had unusually slow growth for the last 8 months or so. It seems to stop growing for a month, then grow an eighth of an inch the next month, then stop for another month, etc. (I was a regular "half-inch a month" grower previously.)

The best advice I can give is to STOP MEASURING IT! :lol: It'll only frustrate you. I put away my measuring tape. I'm still aware that it's not really growing, but it's better than measuring and hitting the same. stupid. number. on the measuring tape every month for like a year.

And wear it up so you aren't forced to see how not-long it's not-getting. :rolleyes:

Saldana
March 8th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Oh, I feel your pain.....I did a big trim in December (almost 4 inches) and my hair has grown MAYBE a quarter of an inch since then. I'm convinced that it's sulking.

So I just continue with the twice weekly CWC, braid for bed, wear up most of the time...and try to just forget about it. It'll grow if and when it wants to.

Although I sure wish it would want to sometime soon.

nastasska
March 8th, 2008, 07:27 AM
My hair is in a stress induced stall at the moment.I'm just keeping up my usual routine and hoping it won't last too long

Stagecoach
March 8th, 2008, 08:07 AM
My methods of cooping with growth stalls (And I've just pulled through one that lasted nearly 7 months )

Treat kindly
Try to ignore it
When you do pay attention, make it positive, such as learning a new updo.
And don't freak out... stress won't help it grow again!

Good luck, and I hope your hair starts growing again soon.

jel
March 8th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I've experienced a stall just before waist, and it was frustrating! I got out of it, I think (touch wood!), and I don't know if it was natural, or due to the miconazole which I also started using. That was in addition to pampering my hair, gentle scalp massage with jojoba oil + EOs, and absolutely no trimming whatsoever.

spidermom
March 8th, 2008, 09:49 AM
The ending to your post is funny Tallulah. If my ends were bad and my growth were stalled, I'd trim. In fact, I just trimmed between 1/2 to 4 inches (uneven growth) of bad, dried out, split-to-pieces hair. So I should start to show growth again.

eresh
March 8th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Hm, I get annoyed a bit, thinking I'll never reach my goal...
Then put it up for some time and pamper my hair extra with a mask or so.

jojo
March 8th, 2008, 12:24 PM
look at old photos of myself with my horrible short bob and remind myself how far ive come. Other than that i practice benign neglect!

~*BeautyWitch*~
March 8th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Put it up, try to think positive and focus on other hobbies

Denise
March 8th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Don't sweat it, and in the meantime, concentrate on optimizing your overall health and well-being, and resumed hair growth will probably be a nice side effect.

Jean Stuart
April 30th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I never even thought to measure until I cam here!

ilovelonghair
April 30th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I didn't really know that hair sometimes stalls, I suspect it's happening to mine right now :(
And it's probably because I'm on diet?

spidermom
April 30th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I pay no attention to growth stalls or sheds. I don't need anything else in my life causing me anxiety, so I keep the attitude that my hair is a-o.k. as much as I can.