PDA

View Full Version : Getting conflicting info on fingercombing and issue of scalp care

shikara
January 14th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I posted something similar awhile ago but didnt really get the answer i was looking for so trying again:). I started fingercombing about seven weeks ago an its done wonders for my hair care. I also do regular scalp massages. If I feel anything (sometimes there is something that feels like a grain of sand) while massaging, I will gently remove it with my fingers. Before washing, that massage includes eos (tea tree, lavender, clary sage, rosemary, carrot). Jojoba is the carrier. I deep co length, wash, condition, and lemon rinse. I have read that brushing/combing scalp is vital not just because it distributes oil but also removes other debris that could damage follicles and later result in hair fall. Now, can I just go ahead with my routine without using a brush or comb on the scalp? Is it enough to keep it healthy? Wont the oils, especially tea tree, and the shampoo remove debris often enough that I neednt concern myself with the brush/comb thing? Thanks!!!

Long_hair_bear
January 14th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I posted something similar awhile ago but didnt really get the answer i was looking for so trying again:). I started fingercombing about seven weeks ago an its done wonders for my hair care. I also do regular scalp massages. If I feel anything (sometimes there is something that feels like a grain of sand) while massaging, I will gently remove it with my fingers. Before washing, that massage includes eos (tea tree, lavender, clary sage, rosemary, carrot). Jojoba is the carrier. I deep co length, wash, condition, and lemon rinse. I have read that brushing/combing scalp is vital not just because it distributes oil but also removes other debris that could damage follicles and later result in hair fall. Now, can I just go ahead with my routine without using a brush or comb on the scalp? Is it enough to keep it healthy? Wont the oils, especially tea tree, and the shampoo remove debris often enough that I neednt concern myself with the brush/comb thing? Thanks!!!

I just quickly use my wide tooth comb after detangling my hair and run it over my scalp a few times to get rid of any nastiness. I don't know if it helps with oils or not; it's just something I've always done because I tend to get dry scalp. :(

Maktub
January 14th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I think you don't have anything to change if that works for you !

With my curls, I find a comb is easier than fingers to detangle my hair, so I use a comb. And fingers for scalp massages.

But if using only your fingers works well for your hair and your scalp is happy, it seems all good and I don't see why you should change anything in this routine !

purple_figtree
January 14th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Completely unscientific, but this is my personal experience: I've been fingercombing for a year or so, gave up combs and brushes, soak my hair in cone-free conditioner and then wash with diluted shampoo, or do egg washes, let my hair dry and then detangle it. It mostly detangles itself.

I haven't had any problems with debris or scalp buildup, my hair has thickened, and it grew from barely tailbone to past classic. I'm very happy with it. It seems that even wide-tooth combs were causing a lot of breakage.

In my opinion, you should be fine :)

ktani
January 14th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I do not brush or comb or scalp massage except during shampooing once a week and my scalp is healthy.

I finger comb the top of my hair and separate my hair with my hands from the ears down, at least twice daily.

Any debris (dust etc.) other than scalp skin has not been a problem.

My hair is healthy too.

ETA: I do not use any essential oils on my scalp but catnip tea during my catnip treatment after I wash my hair is on my scalp after each wash for an hour. This last time, I just used mineral oil drops on damp shampooed hair only and my scalp feels fine. I will be going back to using catnip as usual next wash. However, I now know I can use the mineral oil drops when I need to, when I do not have time to use catnip for an hour. Catnip soothes my scalp well.

pepperminttea
January 14th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Personally I'd scritch my scalp just before washing, but I have more scalp flakes around than most (psoriasis). If you haven't been using a brush or comb at all, and that's working for you, I'd stick with it. :) I love finger-combing, that's my main detangler, I just comb when I'm done in case I missed any.

swearnsue
January 14th, 2012, 03:07 PM
It is confusing, I agree. Some say they like brushing because it massages the scalp and even massage with fingertips also. Then some don't like to use brushes or even combs! I've been brushing when I feel like it and I find that after a henna treatment I don't like to brush for a day or two because my scalp feel a little tender. Henna seems a little stressful for hair a scalp so I give my scalp a "day off". But I like to massage my scalp a little every evening when I go to bed, but I don't feel any increase in circulation when I do it so I don't know if it helps or not. My hair is growing in so much healthier this time I'm going to continue what I'm doing.

ktani
January 14th, 2012, 03:24 PM
One of the purposes of brushing, especially with a boar bristle brush or BBB is spreading the scalp oils down the hair shaft to the ends. The other is scalp stimulation and ridding the scalp and hair of dust and debris.

Even when I used to brush my hair and had an oily scalp (I have never used a BBB), I never found brushing beneficial and my hair was fragile and prone to split ends and breakage.

That was years ago. I find that the oils and other constituents in catnip keep my hair strong and my scalp healthy. I do believe that mineral oil used as drops can do the same. Pure cosmetic mineral oil has been shown in research not to clog pores. ETA, Love the article title, from 2005, http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/news/20050527/mineral-oil-cleared-of-pimple-rap. More on that here, http://www.cosmeticscop.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/963/mineral-oil.aspx.

For those who like essential oils on their scalp to treat or soothe it and those who like using a BBB, they are different methods that work well for those individuals and it is preference. My hair does not attract dust with catnip nor has it using drops of mineral oil.

jacqueline101
January 14th, 2012, 03:35 PM
No ones hair is the same you have to do what works for you.

ravenreed
January 14th, 2012, 03:40 PM
The bottom line is that if your hair is happy and your scalp is happy, it doesn't much matter what others are doing, IMO. What works for one person often will be a disaster for another. I am convinced that everything on LHC is YMMV. So go with what is working for you.

I often use the method you describe, but find it makes my hair more oily. For detangling, I still use my Tangle Teezer because finger combing alone isn't sufficient for my tangle prone hair. But my scalp care definitely includes massage and finger preening, with occasion comb scritching.

spidermom
January 14th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Just pay attention to how your hair and scalp feel and behave. You will soon know if you need to tweak your approach.

I think even if 1 million people told me that scalp massage with fingers and finger-combing were the way to go, I'd still do things my way.

luxepiggy
January 14th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Nothing has touched my scalp but my fingers for over a decade, and I'd say my hair's pretty healthy! I pretty much never get splits, and my hair rarely gets serious tanlges anymore. I really don't think brushing or comibing is necessary at all. In fact, in addition ot shampooing, both brushing and combing cause notable damage to the hair cuticle over time (The Effect of Grooming on the Hair Cuticle (http://journal.scconline.org//pdf/cc1982/cc033n04/p00203-p00215.pdf), Journal of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists).

PixxieStix
January 14th, 2012, 05:16 PM
I adore finger combing, and have for the past several weeks been giving myself 10-15 minute scalp massages every day. I use a comb for detangling after finger combing, but it never touches my scalp, only my fingertips do, and I think my scalp and hair are doing incredibly well. So, yes, your hair and scalp should be just fine with what you are doing. :D I do not see a comb/brush as being necessary for scalp and hair health for everyone.

ktani
January 14th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Even finger combing can be damaging if it is done roughly. It is more about gentle detangling and not stressing hair.

Wet hair is more fragile but seemless combs and BBB brushing done the right way, on dry hair, the way Madora does can be fine. She carefully detanges first.

ETA: Seemless wide tooth combs on wet hair used carefully and Tangle Teasers used carefully on dry hair have been fine for some people. That is about using the right hair tools with care.

mulletesque
January 14th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Nothing has touched my scalp but my fingers for over a decade, and I'd say my hair's pretty healthy! I pretty much never get splits, and my hair rarely gets serious tanlges anymore. I really don't think brushing or comibing is necessary at all. In fact, in addition ot shampooing, both brushing and combing cause notable damage to the hair cuticle over time (The Effect of Grooming on the Hair Cuticle (http://journal.scconline.org//pdf/cc1982/cc033n04/p00203-p00215.pdf), Journal of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists).
That was a fascinating article, thanks for posting the link.

ktani
January 14th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Anything that reduces friction forces and lubricates hair can reduce cuticle damage. Even acidic rinses that do not lubricate hair can help.

It does not have to be a conventional conditioner. For me that has proved to be catnip and now mineral oil drops too. Others have found conditioning shampoos to be enough. They coat the hair.

The information in the study is found on these boards practised by many here. It is a good study though.

Madora
January 14th, 2012, 09:02 PM
I take exception to the notion that combing and brushing can be damaging over time. I've been doing both, daily, for more than 40 years and my hair has not suffered because of it.

Both can be done effectively, IF the right tools are used and you are gentle and patient when detangling.

Curlies, of course, are a breed apart and fare better with gentle combing.

My scalp and hair just feel fresher and cleaner with daily brushing and my hair has certainly benefitted from brushing with my bbb.

holothuroidea
January 14th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I try very hard not to touch my scalp with my fingers because I have had scalp acne issues.

When my scalp is itchy I brush with a wooden bristle brush. Sometimes I brush because my hair looks stringy. I also brush before washing so I don't get tangles.

That having been said, I brush my hair more than I need to and I am trying to stop! :D

sfgirl
January 14th, 2012, 11:27 PM
I take exception to the notion that combing and brushing can be damaging over time. I've been doing both, daily, for more than 40 years and my hair has not suffered because of it.

Both can be done effectively, IF the right tools are used and you are gentle and patient when detangling.

My scalp and hair just feel fresher and cleaner with daily brushing and my hair has certainly benefitted from brushing with my bbb.

I've found the same thing. I usually use a wide tooth comb to detangle, and then fingercomb the rest of the day if there's more tangles, but my hair loves BBB. I can stretch my washes a lot longer I noticed if I regularly use a BB. :)

duchesswannabe
January 15th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Seemless wide tooth combs on wet hair used carefully and Tangle Teasers used carefully on dry hair have been fine for some people. That is about using the right hair tools with care.

I love having a seamless wide tooth comb. Got the idea from my hairdresser.

holothuroidea
January 15th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Madora, I take exception to the notion that everyone's hair is able to withstand the same amount of manipulation without damage.

Everyone's hair is different. You might not have had any damage from it but someone else with finer hair might use the exact same technique and tool and end up with breakage.

Lady Neeva
January 30th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I'm the benign neglectar here, so all I really do is fingercomb (since Friday the 13th. Tell me if it's a bad sign) and oil.

heidi w.
January 30th, 2012, 03:20 PM

There are a few reasons we detangle somehow. To align the hairs vertically, to remove naturally shed hair from the bulk of hair so that it won't matt, or tangle, or form eventual dreadlocks. I have seen a few women who never, in any way comb or detangle their hair, and over a rather long time the shed hairs just kind of form a matt and eventually a dreadlock. IF you like that look, then don't remove the shed hairs.

It's the brushing that's a bigger problem than combing, or fingercombing.

Several folks I've met are able to detangle well with fingercombing. For me, it just doesn't work. Fingercombing breaks more hair than a comb does, for me.

Tea tree oil won't necessarily remove stuff off the scalp. It is an antibacterial essential oil that is highly potent, and helps confront infections. Oiling in general doesn't remove anything. It's something we add into the hair, and for most, I recommend high cautions when applying such things to the scalp skin, as the acid mantle (scalp skin) hygiene matters a fair amount. People do suffer from skin condition problems, as I do, and therefore they must be judicious regarding what they apply to scalp skin because the applied stuff just might be an aggravator of the condition. (Psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitus, dandruff, exzema, are among the more common issues people have...and then there's other stuff a bit more unusual.)

Foregoing detangling with at least a comb is a personal decision. I suspect that time will tell.

heidi w.

heidi w.
January 30th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I try very hard not to touch my scalp with my fingers because I have had scalp acne issues.

When my scalp is itchy I brush with a wooden bristle brush. Sometimes I brush because my hair looks stringy. I also brush before washing so I don't get tangles.

That having been said, I brush my hair more than I need to and I am trying to stop! :D

I recommend that you clean your detangling comb every time you wash your hair.

This can be done in a couple of ways.
A plastic comb can be put in the dishwasher upper shelf to also receive the highly heated hot water which offers a kind of disinfecting aspect.

I have noticed some people don't wash their comb overly often and is a bit built up with debris from prior detangling sessions. I clean that gunk off with a toothpick, then use hot water from the tub and a little nail brush, and apply shampoo, or a bacterial shampoo, to the comb and scrub the comb until clean, rinsing under the tub water spout.

If you have access to the stuff Barbicide that barbers and stylists store combs in, that can work as well.

I would recommend you occasionally wash your brush, if you use a brush, and store your brush in a place where dust buildup is minimized, such as a drawer or a drawstring pouch.

I further recommend that you change and wash your pillowcase more frequently, and since you are having problems with scalp skin acne, to not apply anything other than shampoo to your scalp skin. Not an oil, not conditioner even. Just apply that stuff to your length, that's all.

I do not recommend that you infuse a BBB with oil, either, especially if you polish your hair via BBBing and BBB the scalp hair.

These ideas will likely help to better manage your scalp skin condition. I have a very oily scalp from Seborrheic Dermatitus, and these measures improve my ability to manage my condition.

heidi w.

heidi w.
January 30th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Even finger combing can be damaging if it is done roughly. It is more about gentle detangling and not stressing hair.

Wet hair is more fragile but seemless combs and BBB brushing done the right way, on dry hair, the way Madora does can be fine. She carefully detanges first.

ETA: Seemless wide tooth combs on wet hair used carefully and Tangle Teasers used carefully on dry hair have been fine for some people. That is about using the right hair tools with care.

A BBB should never be used on wet hair. It just doesn't work.

A BBB is not recommended for use in detangling the hair. The hair ought to be pre-detangled FIRST, then you "polish" with a BBB.

I'm saying this to those interested in using a BBB but don't know how to use it for maximum results.

There are a few other details to know, but this is a good starter kit.

heidi w.

heidi w.
January 30th, 2012, 03:34 PM

Patience is the key. I find too many are detangling too fast and causing their own problems. It's really important, especially the longer your hair, to take your time detangling. Whether combing or fingercombing. I am not an advocate of finger combing. As already shared, for me, it just breaks more hair. I've noticed this problem with many fingercombers that I've witnessed using the detangling method in my presence.

Also, detangling is about using the right tools for the right purpose.

heidi w.

holothuroidea
January 30th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Thank you for the advice, Heidi. Shampooing once daily and keeping my hands off of my head keeps me acne-free. I don't detangle with a comb, so I don't have one to wash. :D I use my brush less and less, now twice a day. It's a wooden bristle brush. I haven't had to clean it yet as I've only had it for a month, but I suppose I should read up on how to do that.

I will definitely keep your advice in mind if I ever try to stretch washes again, which I probably will once my hair gets longer.