PDA

View Full Version : Can talcum powder be used for greasy hair?

SopphireGem
January 14th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Someday's my hair gets kinda greasy when I don't have the time to wash it. Is talcum powder good for absorbing excess oil in the hair? Is it too drying?

DoubleCrowned
January 14th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Talc is not safe to breathe. I am under the impression that most powder has been reformulated because of that. I think most powders now are actually made of corn starch.

I have not found cornstarch to be too drying, but I only use it on areas that are too oily. I fluff it on with a cosmetics brush then very gently slick the excess off with a soft boar bristle brush after the hair is styled.

pepperminttea
January 14th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Cornflour if you're blonde, cocoa powder if you're brunette. :) (Redhead? Well, pick the one you think is easiest to hide if you don't manage to brush it all out!)

oktobergoud
January 14th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I think it can be used! It reminds me of Osis Dust It (from Schwarzkopf), a product which I love, but it's basically very expensive talc (or something like that) in a small bottle. It makes my hair rough rough, not sure if it would be the same for talc or cornflour! But it does make my hair less greasy, like some sort of dry shampoo :)

Lapin
January 15th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I don't like most of Lush's products (I'm allergic to their perfumes and the ingredients they tend to use), HOWEVER, they make a coconut-scented dusting powder that is awesome. I use it on my growing-out fringe, an awkward, earlobe chunk of hair on my left side. No noticeable smell, but it does make my hair nice and soft :)

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I use my Bbb on my slightly oily hair and it helps distribute the oil enough for it not to look so gross.

Mannaz
January 15th, 2012, 10:38 AM
White clay in powder form is also good if you're a blonde, definitely safe for scalp and hair!

Jessykins
January 15th, 2012, 01:15 PM
i use a bit of dry shampoo, batiste is a good brand, but it takes FOREVER to brush out!

caiti42
January 15th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I don't think most talcum powders actually contain talc anymore, just still called that. I use baby powder and am brunette and have no issues. I sprinkle a little into my part and around my forehead/ greasy areas, wait about 5minutes and the rub into my scalp gently with my fingertips. Alternatively I use bastise dry shampoo as well doing the same method. Baby powder is just cheaper, and gives you better volume!

Toiréasa
January 15th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I just get greases around my face so I just use my loose powder that I apply on my face it comes in many different shades to match your skin tone and I find this to work great for me. I have use baby powder too but my hair is dark and it dose not blend as well as the loose powder.

OilPaint
June 14th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Powder is great for grease. I'll get a bit of grease around the temples and front scalp and sprinkle some baby powder in, let it sit a couple minutes, then comb it out completely; works great and you don't have to soak up oils from the length of your hair that you don't want to lose. I've gotten in the habit of oiling my ends while I'm powdering my crown (yay multitasking!). My husband doesn't even ask about why I do things to my hair anymore. :dizzy: