PDA

View Full Version : Its curious, but I rarely hear longhairs talk about lemon rinses...

shikara
January 13th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I guess Im a little curious who might use rinses for hard water, rather than ACV. Almost all responses I hear on this topic, and that of rinsing in general, suggest ACV. My hair didnt really take to ACV bit it really likes diluted lemon juice! Anyone else?

ktani
January 13th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I guess Im a little curious who might use rinses for hard water, rather than ACV. Almost all responses I hear on this topic, and that of rinsing in general, suggest ACV. My hair didnt really take to ACV bit it really likes diluted lemon juice! Anyone else?

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_44053aa6.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=44053aa6.jpg)

Lemon juice actually chelates minerals too, vinegar - of any kind, cannot do that.

Zhennni(:
January 13th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Im interested in this too . Whats the mixing ratio?

shikara
January 13th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Well, you may have to play around with it a bit. About three tablespoons in a very large bowl is right for me. After Ive poured it over my head, its very bebeficial to pat my head a little before I rinse it out. Hopr it works well for you!

Maktub
January 13th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I've done both, but never saw a difference in result between lemon and ACV rinses. I'll be watching this too, lemon rinses are quite popular for hair care around the world, so there's surely something to it !

Honestwitness
January 13th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I always use lemon rinses, instead of vinegar. I can't stand the smell of vinegar in my hair. I pour a 'bloop' of ReaLemon out of the bottle into an empty quart~size plastic bottle. Then I hold the bottle up to the shower spout and fill it up with warm water. I swish it around a bit to mix it. Then, I put my freshly shampooed and rinsed length into the bottle and swish a bit. Then I pull the hair out and pour the mixture over my hair, gently massaging it into all my hair. Then I rinse it all out with warm water from the shower head. Lastly, I condition and rinse.

JadeTigress
January 13th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I've thought about giving a lemon rinse a try. My hair doesn't like ACV either, no matter how much I dilute it. And I'm getting ready to try out a shampoo bar in a few days once my order gets here, so I need to find some sort of rinse that isn't ACV. :p I've heard of people using lemon juice to basically bleach freckles and whatnot; does lemon juice lighten your hair at all?

Honestwitness
January 13th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Since my hair is already mostly white, I don't pay much attention to whether it lightens it. But, I was under the impression that lemon juice only lightens your hair if you let it dry with the juice on it in the bright sunlight. I think I tried this once in my younger days. I only tried it once, though, because it was too much trouble and I didn't detect any lightening of my brown hair.

Audrey Horne
January 13th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I use lemon rinses from time to time but I don't see a big difference between lemons and ACV. I adore orange rinses whenever I have oranges at home.

My answer probably doesn't cound since I'm not a long haired.

luxepiggy
January 13th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Where do you get the lemon juice? Do you have to squeeze it out of lemons? Or can you buy it in bottles?

I use beer when I feel the need for an acidic rinse - tasty! (^(oo)^)

shikara
January 13th, 2012, 08:05 PM
luxepiggy you are sweet and funny,, just get a bottle of RealLemon from the frocery store, usualy in the juice isle. They come in a bit larger plastic bottles as well as a cute little plastic lemon to squirt from hehe:D. Hmmm, it might be wise to try a beer rinse - whether it works or not, Ill be all the wiser;)

holothuroidea
January 13th, 2012, 08:30 PM
I just did a lemon rinse tonight instead of ACV as a part of my clarifying routine because it's a chelating agent.

I think the chelating did help, my hair is much lighter and softer. However, it's a lot drier. :( In fact it's downright brittle in spite of having done an SMT afterwards.

Next time I will dilute it more. I hand juiced a whole lemon and diluted it 1:4.

cooklaezo13
January 13th, 2012, 08:58 PM
I use citric acid for my rinses. 1/4 teaspoon in a quart of water. I like that I can leave it in my hair if I choose to, because it has no smell.

Mountaingrrl
January 13th, 2012, 09:20 PM
I will occasionally use very diluted citrus in a rinse if I have it around. I've used lemon, lime and grapefruit with decent results. I usually finish with some conditioner or oil to counteract the drying effect.

shikara
January 13th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Oh for goodness sake, I didnt realize it has a drying effect....that explains some things:p. hmmm..that beer thing might be a little harsh on the ol budget tho!

Lunarise
January 13th, 2012, 11:17 PM
I found lemon rinses to be more drying than ACV! My hair was super frizzy too.

kidari
January 13th, 2012, 11:22 PM
I'm terrified of lemon rinses because when I was little my friend squeezed lemons and didn't wash the juice off of her hands and spent the day playing in the sun. Her skin was temporary bleached in splotches! She was mortified it would stay that way but it went back to normal in about a week or so. Also, I know that lemon juice could lighten/bleach your hair so I feel like lemon juice is drying and if it can bleach your hair it makes me feel like it's damaging as well.

Aliped
January 14th, 2012, 12:02 AM
My hair didnt really take to ACV bit it really likes diluted lemon juice! Anyone else?

Same here - If I have lemon juice in the house, i will use it instead of ACV

darklion
January 14th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Honestwitness: I noticed that you said to lemon up your hair after shampooing and before conditioning. With ACV, I rinse after conditioning (if I don't rinse enough, I joke that I smell like a pickle!). Plus from the other responses I'm gathering that the placement of the lemon rinse in the hair process is important. Is this the key to using lemon? In the middle of the routine? Plus, do you keep your ReaLemon in the fridge or in the bathroom? That's just a random, but relevant, question.

Aveyronnaise
January 14th, 2012, 04:18 AM
I haven't used Lemon rinses like a ACV rinse but I did use it this summer in my egg shampoo and my hair looked uber shiny.
We do have liquid rock water here too. boo.

ktani
January 14th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Beer coats the hair and from the beer thread and some research, the effects last for about a month. It is not the same as chelating with citric acid or the ascorbic and citric acids in citrus fruits. The citrus juice washes out without build-up.

Citrus juice, lemon, lime, orange - all the same acids, can need more dilution than vinegar. It is about getting a more hair friendly pH. Once that is done, the drying effect should not be a problem.

jojo
January 14th, 2012, 04:40 AM
My hair loves lemon juice rinses, I put 1 tbs in a large jug and top with warm water, white vinegar is also good!

arielįgua
January 14th, 2012, 07:15 AM
I have tried lemon rinse, I liked it, but contrary to most comment here, my hair became a little greasy. Perhaps I need more lemon or my scalp just need an adjustment, since I started doing this very recently (kinda a week ago). I have oily scalp btw.

Can someone give advices?

Hugs :D

Deborah
January 14th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I'm a brunette, so I would never use it, as it can lighten hair slightly. I like citric acid powder diluted in a lot of water best.

JaneinMarch
January 14th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I used lemon juice when my hair was longer and I made sure to pre-oil as I do now if I'm going to use amla powder. I just had to make sure I didn't do it too often. No more than once every week or two.

CurlyMopTop
January 14th, 2012, 06:35 PM
My hair loves lemon juice rinses! I just squeeze some in an old vo5 bottle, then fill with water. I don't use it everyday, but a couple of times a week now. It helps keep the build-up away, frizz at bay, and helps with curl definition! :D One mixed bottle is enough for several rinses for my hair.

Loviatar
January 14th, 2012, 07:44 PM
I rinse after my shampoo bars and conditioner with either ACV, red wine V, lime or lemon juice. I use half a shot glass of acid in 500 ml water. I have very hard water (I'm in London).

I always blow my hair dry (on cool) after a lemon rinse as I'm a brunette and don't want to get any lighter. But I will happily go out with wet hair after an ACV, wine V, or lime juice rinse.

I wanted to use citric acid powder, but couldn't find any, so I got lemon juice instead.

Manny1826
January 14th, 2012, 07:52 PM
how often do you guys use ACV? jsut once or twice or week or so?

ravenreed
January 14th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I have used a lemon rinse when I wanted to make sure I didn't smell like vinegar. The ACV rinses are more soothing to my scalp so I usually use ACV. My water is very hard so I use either a lemon or ACV rinse almost every time I clean my hair. The only time I skip it is if I forget to get it out ahead of time and only remember when I am already soaking wet.

sfgirl
January 14th, 2012, 11:37 PM
I love how lemons smell. If a lemon rinse is diluted it still makes your hair smell like lemons right? :)

habioku
January 15th, 2012, 12:54 AM
I use lemon juice, too! It smells way better ;). I use about 1 tablespoon in 500ml water.

Annibelle
January 15th, 2012, 01:57 AM
:) I use a lime rinse if I've just washed. (I have soft water, though, so I'm not using it for those benefits.) I use lime because I like the way it smells, but really, unlike ACV, I can't smell it in my hair at all. ACV worked fine for me, but SO couldn't stand the smell of it, even days after I'd washed, so I gave it up because I missed having him near me!

Lemon juice works the same way for me. I just prefer the smell of lime. Oh, and I buy it in bottles at the grocery store! :)