PDA

View Full Version : Oiling and shedding?

holothuroidea
January 13th, 2012, 04:05 PM
So I started doing a heavy oiling to sleep in overnight and wash out in the morning. It improved my hair by a lot and I am happy about that but...

When I put it in, I shed a lot. When I counted the hairs there were 15. This might not seem like a lot to you but I almost never shed at all. I thought maybe it wasn't from the oil, just from the manipulation required to put it in. I checked this by manipulating my hair like I was putting oil in it (without the oil) and I only lost 7 hairs. So the oil makes me loose twice as much hair as I usually do.

Should I stop the oiling? I've had issues with shedding related to scalp acne when I tried WO and CO, but this is an oil I routinely use on my face with no acne problems (Camillia). I use the same oil as a leave in after a wash (1 drop) without any issue.

Is it possible that I would have less shedding if I switched oils?

spidermom
January 13th, 2012, 04:16 PM
It could be that the oil is helping the shed hairs to come out of hiding in your still-attached hairs. I can't think of any mechanism by which oil would make still attached and growing hairs jump to their deaths, unless you're putting so much oil on your scalp that you smother the follicles. It doesn't sound like that is what is happening, however.

airmid
January 13th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I found the same thing after a heavy oiling... of course, I was shedding anyway, but this was just insane, the amount that came out after my oiling. Someone suggested to me I might have some clogged hair follicles... I only oil my ends and length now, except for tiny drops on the scalp mixed with rosemary oil when I massage.

Kapri
January 13th, 2012, 04:44 PM
I have been using co to prep my hair for dyeing. I use it mainly on the white and resistant areas.
On the last 3 or 4 occasions .. I have noticed a small clump of shed hair entangled in my hair. I actually had to use scissors to remove a clump that had formed and joined the two sides of my hairstyle (at the front) together. I don't think that the oiling causes hair to shed..perhaps it causes shedding hairs to clump together more obviously....

holothuroidea
January 13th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Thank you everyone.

I'm going to avoid my scalp and see if that helps.

It doesn't shed after it's been sitting, but right when I'm doing it. Maybe it is just already shed hairs coming loose, especially since I don't shed that much to begin with. I suppose they are just hiding out in my hair. Eeewwww. :P

LoversLullaby
January 13th, 2012, 09:31 PM
I think your idea to avoid oil on your scalp is a good way to go.
I shed a small kitten every time I oil my scalp. It always freaks me out, so I never do it. However, the length of my hair loves coconut oil and it has no ill effects on my hair once so ever. In fact, it's all benefits! :) Heavy oiling might just not be for your hair either, which is okay. Though I really think that avoiding your scalp should solve all your problems.

Kapri
January 14th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Yes, my clump comes from oiling the scalp area too.

jojo
January 15th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Its normal, thye are just hairs which where naturally due to shed anyway.

joflakes
January 15th, 2012, 02:14 AM
I get about that when I wash my hair or brush so I wouldn't be too worried but like others have said maybe just focus on the ends and see what happens!

Lipbalmbabe
February 26th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I agree, it's bound to happen when you sleep anyway.