PDA

View Full Version : Hair forks... Tips? Tricks? Styles? Any advice at all?

Long_hair_bear
January 13th, 2012, 01:11 PM
As Torrin Paige would say, " Hello, my lovelies! "

I am a hair stick chick at heart but I have fallen in love with a certain hair fork:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/54436467/metal-metal-hair-fork-4-inch-amethyst

Problem is, I've never used a hair fork before in my life. I don't know how to use it or what styles I can do with it or if there's tricks to getting it to stay in. I have bsl, average thickness hair. Sure there's tutorials and such but I thought I'd ask you guys first as I trust you guys more to give me an experienced answer! If you've done a tutorial or have found one that worked for you, post it! Remember though, I'm only at bsl :( unlike most of you classic length lovelies so my style options are more limited.

Thanks! :flowers:

krissykins
January 13th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Hair forks are my favorite! They work really well with a cinnamon bun, which is my go to hairstyle. Using a hair fork is basically like using a hair stick, so if you know how to use those, it will be easier for you.

heidi w.
January 13th, 2012, 01:15 PM
You can use a hair fork as merely decorate or to hold up any updo that you use a hairstick with.

The fork you purchased might grab and pull individual hairs with some of those twisty bits of wire on the design head of the area. Just be prepared for that, especially when you remove the fork. That's the most likely time you might be ensnared.

heidi w.

long&blonde
January 13th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I've been wondering about hair forks too. Also love using sticks. Wondering if forks hold as well,better than,tangle more? Snap more easily? Guess there's one way to find out:get one! :)

krissykins
January 13th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I've been wondering about hair forks too. Also love using sticks. Wondering if forks hold as well,better than,tangle more? Snap more easily? Guess there's one way to find out:get one! :)

It really depends on a lot of different factors: hairtype, hair length, type of fork (brand, length, material, etc).

Personally, I vastly prefer forks over sticks (although I've been going through a hair stick phase). My favorite forks are my 60th Street forks, my Jeterforks, and my forks made by our lovely member Serious. Go with a well crafted fork and you'll fall in love! :crush:

ETA: But for a basic answer to your questions, my forks hold better for me than sticks depending on how long my hair is. Sticks work better for me when I'm in between body length markers (right now, I'm an inch from hip). They don't tangle for me, but depending on how thick the prongs are and how tight the hairstyle is, they can be a bit more frustrating to use. I would say that almost all of my forks have a lower snapability index (:lol:) than any of my sticks. I've snapped the tips off two of my sticks, but I have yet to break a fork. The fork I worry about most is my Baerreis Nautilus fork, as the prongs are more flexible than my other forks.

Long_hair_bear
January 13th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys!

Vanilla
January 13th, 2012, 03:56 PM
I love using a fork for a lazy wrap bun.

I prefer polished wood with few embelishments for my hair forks, as they slide easily in and out of the hair and are less likely to catch on anything.

papera
January 13th, 2012, 04:34 PM
If you can use a stick you can also use a fork. I do like forks a lot, as they really stay put, and sometimes I have troubles with hair sticks to stay put ...

Good luck with your fork!:o