PDA

View Full Version : Soapwort

deltadeliquent
January 13th, 2012, 01:04 PM
I was just washing my hair with soapnuts and thinking about how it's too bad we have to go all the way to exotic places for our hair care. Then I remembered we Euro-Americans have our own source of natural soap...soapwort!
Anybody try this herb for your hair?

DoubleCrowned
January 13th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Yes. It is a wonderful hair cleaner--very gentle but through... and free.

As I remember, the root is supposed to be best, but I just use the top part of the plant. It has always been dried when I used it, but my grandmother collected it and used it the dame day. It's as easy as making tea.

1. Use only rainwater or soft water for best results
2. Make a tea that is the color of dark beer. I used a handful of dried leaves and stems for about a quart or so of water and I left the herb in the water until the water was cool.
3. When tea is cool, strain and pour it through hair, capturing run-off to reuse. Keep pouring repeatedly through hair until liquid is milky and/or your hair feels clean. Rinse.
4. Unused tea can be refrigerated for your next hair washing. I think mine kept over a week.

CopperSilver
January 13th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Thanks for this - I grew some soapwort last year with the intention of using it, but the plant wasn't particularly big or strong so I left it alone to grow. This is really interesting. I think I'll sow a lot more this year and try it out.

the.fee.fairy
January 14th, 2012, 02:15 AM
That does look interesting.

I know there's a woman at the Medieval Re-enactment that i go to who sells some, so i might give it a go for shampoo at the event.

jeanniet
January 14th, 2012, 03:01 AM
I've used soapwort shampoo pretty extensively for about the past year, although I'm finding that I do need to use chelating shampoo occasionally because of my water. Soapwort cleans very well and gently, but isn't so good for getting out heavy oilings. Mountain Rose Herbs has very good quality soapwort root if you don't have a local source.

Ki
January 14th, 2012, 04:56 AM
I've had some soapnut powder for a while but have yet to try it. Very interesting about the soapwort though. Will definitely think about trying it at some point.

Xawanlaya
January 14th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Sounds interesting. I think I'd like to try this out :)

earthnut
May 15th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I have a patch in my garden that I'm going to have to try.

CimarronSun
May 15th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I just looked it up... so it is also called "bouncing bet" and it has really pretty flowers?

Where did you get the seeds? Locally or did you have to order them online?

I use the roots from mountain rose herbs... would love to grow it though...