PDA

View Full Version : ACV rinse and hard water

Alibran
January 13th, 2012, 12:58 PM
When I had long hair, I did regular ACV rinses. They didn't seem to make any difference to my hair, but I'd read on this forum that they were a Good Thing, so I figured they must be doing something, even though I couldn't see it. I stopped doing them when I got my hair cut short, about 4 years ago.

Fast forward to 2012. I have short hair that's driving me crazy because it's so damaged, bleached, dry and it's lost all its curl. I decided to stop bleaching it, start looking after it, and colour with henna instead. Then yesterday, it occured to me .... I needed to do an ACV rinse.

When I had long hair, we lived in a soft water area. Now, we have hard water. The kettle and coffee maker get scaled up regularly, and we descale them with vinegar diluted in very hot water. I decided to do the same with my hair. I mixed one part ACV in about 10 parts hot water (a very dilute mix, I know), and rinsed my hair with it after I washed and conditioned. I gave my hair a quick rinse through with cold water afterwards to make sure there wasn't any vinegar sitting in my hair.

The difference is amazing. My hair feels so much softer, and it's curly. It isn't as soft or as curly as it used to be, but that's hardly surprising after the way it's been treated. (I've also figured out why the ACV rinse didn't do much for my hair when it was long - there was nothing for the ACV to remove.)

Has anyone else noticed mineral build up on their hair in hard water areas, and used ACV to get rid of it?

ElusiveMuse
January 13th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Yup! That's exactly why I use it!

heidi w.
January 13th, 2012, 01:12 PM
ONe of the benefits of ACV rinse [which is to be diluted in water] (or any rinse using vinegar) is that it removes hard water minerals built up on the exterior of the hair, on top of the cuticle.

If you rent you could consider a shower head filter system to help give you less hard water, fewer minerals. These minerals can also affect skin and contribute to dry skin in the winter snowy months of the year.

You can place diluted vinegar in wash (laundry) water too. It helps to removes odifererous odors from clothing, bedding and towels, if you ever have that problem.

The primary benefit of any vinegar rinse is to re-set the acid mantle's pH to more "neutral" the balance point of the pH scale. Shampoos and conditioners cause a bit too much alkalinity (or some online pH scales call it "base" instead of "alkali")

heidi w.

Amber_Maiden
January 13th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Definitely one of the reasons why I use it! The old water pipes in this building are from the 30s!

LissaJane
January 13th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Anyone tried ACV diluted in spray bottle form? How does that compare to an actual rinse?
Been meaning to look into it for a while now, this thread just reminded me.

shikara
January 13th, 2012, 01:28 PM
My hair didnt really like the ACV rinses for hard water, but thrives with diluted lemon juice!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_44053aa6.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=44053aa6.jpg)

heidi w.
January 13th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Anyone tried ACV diluted in spray bottle form? How does that compare to an actual rinse?
Been meaning to look into it for a while now, this thread just reminded me.

I wouldn't spritz it on for it to remain on the hair and dry. I would rinse it out.

I have heard some people leave it on, but some have tried this, and it doesn't work well. Just depends, I guess.

heidi w.

heidi w.
January 13th, 2012, 01:30 PM
My hair didnt really like the ACV rinses for hard water, but thrives with diluted lemon juice!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_44053aa6.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=44053aa6.jpg)

Righty-y-o.....

Lemon juice is another form of "acid". Works much as vinegar rinses do. Smells a bit better!

heidi w.

Alibran
January 13th, 2012, 01:37 PM
If you rent you could consider a shower head filter system to help give you less hard water, fewer minerals. These minerals can also affect skin and contribute to dry skin in the winter snowy months of the year.

Fortunately, snowy months isn't a problem here. I even spotted a couple of British holidaymakers in shorts and flipflops the other day! I don't have any problems with dry skin at any time of year, but my OH does, so I'll mention it.

The primary benefit of any vinegar rinse is to re-set the acid mantle's pH to more "neutral" the balance point of the pH scale. Shampoos and conditioners cause a bit too much alkalinity (or some online pH scales call it "base" instead of "alkali")

heidi w.

That was what I thought when I first did it, but my hair looked just as much of a mess with it as it did without it!

Alibran
January 13th, 2012, 01:43 PM

Does the lemon juice lighten it? Or does it not do that when it's only on the hair for such a short time?

Leisje
January 13th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Acid rinses are a must for hard water areas. I too get the scaly build up on pots and pans, in our coffee maker, all over the walls in the shower.Ick!

I like citric acid rinses. Smells better and seems to make my hair even sleeker and softer than vinegar did. I use 1/8 tsp of the powder in just over 1 cup of water. It's great!

Alibran
January 13th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I like citric acid rinses. Smells better and seems to make my hair even sleeker and softer than vinegar did.

The ACV was so diluted in mine that I could barely smell it. And when I jumped back and yelped because it was a bit hot when I poured it on my head, I ended up drinking some, and it didn't taste too unpleasant either! I'm going to experiment with the ACV in different dilutions for a bit, then probably won't be able to resist trying other things.

Georgies
January 13th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I can't stand the smell of ACV so I've been diluting fresh lime juice instead, which smells divine.

gthlvrmx
January 13th, 2012, 02:49 PM
My water is too hard here for ACV to just cut it, i have to lash out a filter and club soda to prevent buildup over time. The ACV helps a little.

ktani
January 13th, 2012, 02:53 PM
My water is too hard here for ACV to just cut it, i have to lash out a filter and club soda to prevent buildup over time. The ACV helps a little.

With club soda at least you do not have to be concerned about the dilution. It already is a buffered pH 5 approximately.

Manny1826
January 13th, 2012, 02:54 PM
ugh, i have hard water here too... i only started using ACV rinses about a month ago-- i didn't know what they were until I joined this forum. I haven't noticed a huge change or difference though...

LissaJane
January 13th, 2012, 11:49 PM
How often do people ACV/LemonJuice rinse? I started rinsing with ACV when I first got into alternative hair-cair after baking soda washes. After discovered BS was destroying my hair (it wasn't just the occassional clarify... it was BS washing every 3 days) I cut the whole routine entirely.

I'm pretty sure I have hard water and would like to do something to combat it. Not sure how to tell, though hah.

gthlvrmx
January 14th, 2012, 04:39 PM
With club soda at least you do not have to be concerned about the dilution. It already is a buffered pH 5 approximately.
Oh no way! How awesome! That makes complete sense about me using the ACV right after. No wonder.