PDA

View Full Version : This might sound a bit weird or even disgusting...

PurpleAshes
January 13th, 2012, 11:39 AM
But I've been wondering for a while...

Many times I use the tightly curly method, which consists in covering all your hair in conditioner (as leave-in), then combing it and squeezing the remaining conditioner out of your hair. Generally the remaining cond is a lot!

As a person concerned about the environment, I always try to keep waste to a minimum.. So I've been wondering:

Assuming my hair is very clean before applying conditioner, and that it's not soaked, more like damp.. Is there any particular reason why I shouldn't put the remaining conditioner in a recipient and save it until the next wash (3-4 days)?

Vanille_
January 13th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I don't see why not. I've seen that some people also slightly dilute their conditioner to get more out of it. I know that's not what you are saying, but you might not feel so guilty about going through it like it's nothing. Also, maybe instead of applying one big gob, put it in a little at a time. This way you get a better idea of how much you actually need.

It doesn't sound gross at all to me.

Amber_Maiden
January 13th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Nah, not gross. I'd save it.

gthlvrmx
January 13th, 2012, 11:51 AM
That's not gross, i like the idea. Why not, ill do it too. :)

sazzie88
January 13th, 2012, 11:53 AM
No I would save it, its not disgusting at all. Im going to start

Thats what I do with my left over toothpaste ;)

white.chocolate
January 13th, 2012, 11:57 AM
It's not disgusting at all! If your conditioner is free of dirt, reusing it is a great idea!

Maktub
January 13th, 2012, 12:03 PM
The only thing I can see it maybe the tap water from moist hair could influence how well it preserves on the long run. But if you use it the next 3-4 days, I think there's no problem !

littleizz
January 13th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Thats what I do with my left over toothpaste BAHaha... I'll throw in the obligatory "that's gross!" but I appreciate your sense of humor :D

Woods Nymph
January 13th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Honestly, I've been recycling (can I use that word here?) conditioner for a while. I loathe waste!
Haha! Toothpaste...:cheese:

jacqueline101
January 13th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I guess you could reuse it if its clean.

long&blonde
January 13th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Not gross at all;makes total sense

LadyCelestina
January 13th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Uhmm...I might be the only one here,but I just don't like the idea. I mean,conditioner gets all kind of stuff off your hair and then you are putting the used conditioner back onto your hair...

That's just me however.Do what works for you :) . It's not like the CO would get spoilt if you reuse it or what,it's okay.

spidermom
January 13th, 2012, 01:44 PM
No, I wouldn't save it. I would (and do) minimize the amount I use.

Anje
January 13th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I think I'd save it. If you're worried about stuff growing in it (the preservatives are being diluted, after all), you could always stick it in the fridge.

alyanna
January 13th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I personally wouldn't save it. Especially if there were bits of hair in it.

Mommyof4
January 13th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I'd do it :)

Lostsoule77
January 13th, 2012, 03:51 PM
I would save it, but would probably use it to wash next time instead of as the leave in.

holothuroidea
January 13th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Oh man! I was really disappointed at how not disgusting this was. :laugh:

That sounds like an excellent idea to me.

Melisande
January 13th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Just squeeze it into a zip lock bag and deposit it in the freezer. It can't spoil, there is so much conserving stuff inside.

Vanille_
January 13th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Oh man! I was really disappointed at how not disgusting this was. :laugh:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

PurpleAshes
January 13th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Also, maybe instead of applying one big gob, put it in a little at a time. This way you get a better idea of how much you actually need.

I have a feeling I'd actually end up with MORE cond.. I just apply 3 gobs (crown, middle, ends) but when I comb it, it seems to multiply! But thanks for the suggestion :)

Thats what I do with my left over toothpaste ;)
:D

The only thing I can see it maybe the tap water from moist hair could influence how well it preserves on the long run. But if you use it the next 3-4 days, I think there's no problem !

Yup, that was one of my concerns! Thanks for the input!

Honestly, I've been recycling (can I use that word here?) conditioner for a while. I loathe waste!
Haha! Toothpaste...:cheese:

Ah, great! I'm not that weird :cheese:

No, I wouldn't save it. I would (and do) minimize the amount I use.

I knew you wouldn't :D I actually made this thread because I remember you saying that extra water in the cond would render the conservatives useless.

I think I'd save it. If you're worried about stuff growing in it (the preservatives are being diluted, after all), you could always stick it in the fridge.

This was my concern, freezing it sounds like a great idea!

I would save it, but would probably use it to wash next time instead of as the leave in.

Exactly what I was thinking about :)

Just squeeze it into a zip lock bag and deposit it in the freezer. It can't spoil, there is so much conserving stuff inside.

Ah, this gives me peace of mind.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

Seems like a few people did find it disgusting, the ones that are saying no :)

jeanniet
January 13th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Sure, I'd use it. If I understand you correctly, this would be the last stage conditioner, after you'd already CO'd, right? So your hair would be clean at that point, and the conditioner wouldn't have picked up dirt or whatever that could contaminate it. I'd keep it in the refrigerator just because of the preservatives being diluted, but otherwise, why not?

beachgirlla
January 13th, 2012, 06:41 PM
You guys are so funny, the toothpaste joke was very funny, hahaha

blondie9912
January 13th, 2012, 07:40 PM
I've actually thought about that sometimes (not saving it, but the waste part) when I deep condition sometimes. Good thinking!

CurlyCap
January 13th, 2012, 08:08 PM
I vote for trying to lose less.

As a curly, I know that my hair needs lots of moisture and a good sealing. A lifetime of trying to find adequate products has left me heavy-handed when applying products. Thing is, when I find products that work well with my hair, I actually need to use a lot less.

If it's just for a leave-in after co-washing, I've found that I can get away with ~tsp sized dollops, spread well on my hands and applied to my hair in sections. I get great curl definition and shine. HOWEVER, as a curly, I can also put in a cup of conditioner, leave it be, and still be fine.

Try using less for a while. I think you might be surprised at how much you can cut out and still get the definition you want.

(I still use a bucket-load of conditioner to co-wash, though. Ridiculous amounts. Tried cutting, didn't work, started buying in bulk. :D )