PDA

View Full Version : have you gotten more then hair growth from your vitamins?

lora410
July 15th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I started vitamins about a year ago. I took so many that I felt like a medicine cabinet, and seemed to do no good so I went off of them. So I started them again about 2 months ago and got smart about it. I take a one a day weight smart advanced (regular vits made me eat all day), 1 Biotin 5,000 and 1 Msm 1,000. Since I started this new vits I have more hair growth, increased feeling of well being and energy as well as much stronger nails. The nails surprised me today because I never grew them because they broke off and were soft. Now they are a nice length and tuff. So the question is what have you gotten out of your daily vitamins usage?

ETA: My skin has cleared up as well

Samara Morgan
July 15th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I've only started taking some for about half a month so far, but I'm making sure I stick to them properly this time lol :nono:! I've always been terrible with taking vitamins before. I am taking Mega Vitamins For The Hair, Biotin, Evening Primrose Oil and Zinc. I haven't measured my hair yet since taking them but like you I've found my nails are growing really fast and stronger than before :grin: I hope that by looking at your nails it is an indication that they're also doing good for your hair ;)

Saranne772
July 15th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Well I have found biotin to be brilliant. My nails are tougher and longer without breaking. Hair grows faster.

lora410
July 15th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I've only started taking some for about half a month so far, but I'm making sure I stick to them properly this time lol :nono:! I've always been terrible with taking vitamins before. I am taking Mega Vitamins For The Hair, Biotin, Evening Primrose Oil and Zinc. I haven't measured my hair yet since taking them but like you I've found my nails are growing really fast and stronger than before :grin: I hope that by looking at your nails it is an indication that they're also doing good for your hair ;)

I bought one of thoses mon-sun pill holders, and leave it on my counter with each of my vits in them so I don't forget :lol: best investment thus far.

paper
July 15th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I started growing my hair 10 months ago and started the vitamins same time. So, I really can't say. However, my nails have never looked so good.

Samara Morgan
July 15th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Ahhh clever idea :grin: You've inspired me to look some up now hehe :lol:

Exodus
July 15th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I once tried biotin out. The result was, hair on my head didn't grow more at all, on the other side, my body hair increased. And by skin breaked out.

Now, I'm taking some normal vitamins, not for hair, just to make sure I don't get any.. er...god damn dictionary disappeared when I moved.. get too little of something. And E-vitamin for my skin. And those don't have any effect on hari growth or anything.
(but so far, I have never found anything that has any effect on my hair growth in that way, the it would make my hair grow faster)

ladystar
July 15th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I have been taking Shen Min Vitamins for hair, 4 months now. I love them, you can see the full story in my BLOG (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=15488)

lady_hero
July 15th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I've been taking Hair, Skin, and Nail vitamins for 1 month. I haven't measured my hair yet ( I've decided to measure the 1st of every month) so I don't know if they've helped with growth. My nails are a lot stronger and don't chip. And my skin has cleared up tremendously :D Go vitamins!

squiggyflop
July 15th, 2008, 03:13 PM
well when i originally started taking vitamins right after i joined i had amazing growth.. sometimes close to 2 inches a month.. my nails grew so fast that i had to stop using acrylic.. i had to fill them in every other day it was ridiculous.. i do miss my acrylic nails but im too lazy to buy a new acrylic kit and too poor to get them done at a salon..
my skin has some problems with biotin i think..
i take natrol skin hair nails.. and a centrum every day

lora410
July 16th, 2008, 11:28 AM
ahhh, vitamins just well may be the 8th wonde rof the world for us ladies :lol:

nutsenmai
July 19th, 2008, 04:44 AM
MSM is what really did it for my nails. They aren't brittle and don't break now!

It's funny, if I go off my multivitamin I get moody. I've been taking them for years now. Between the vitamins, lots of veggies and water that's what keeps my skin clear. Exercise doesn't hurt either though, keeps my pores working!

jojo
July 20th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I take a multi vitamin with iron and kelp and I too have started seeing a difference in not just my hair as well as nails.

Marcipangris
July 23rd, 2008, 12:10 AM
I've been using cod liver oil and Hair-Skin-Nails Connection for four months, and my skin has been less dry and less prone to break-outs.

Berúthiel
July 23rd, 2008, 01:06 AM
My mom and I started taking biotin around the same time. We both noticed a rapid increase in our baby hair growth.. i used to have baby hairs that went to my mid-forehead and after taking biotin grew to my eyes in around a month!

chrissy-b
August 22nd, 2008, 03:19 PM
When I diligently take flax and borage oil I notice a great improvement in my skin. It seems more supple and my acne all but disappears.

Rapunzelwannabe
September 15th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I take about a medicine chest's worth, but the ones that I really see as having real effect on me is my walmart brand teen multivitamin, zinc, evening primrose oil, and flaxseed oil. My hair is smoother and calmer with my oils, my skin is loads better with zinc, and I just feel better with m multivitamin. I also take biotin, horsetail, and vitamin E but I don't know what kind of effect they have on me. Perhaps the biotin helps my hair grow faster, but not a noticable amount on a month to month basis

Garnetgem
January 19th, 2016, 09:22 PM
Not so much growth but the growth appears so much healthier since i take a vitamin and mineral specially formulated for hair,i also take cod liver oil each day which i swear by as my hair always seems dull when i stop taking them.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 19th, 2016, 09:25 PM
I take a general multi vitamin and haven't noticed any difference. Maybe I was already healthy enough in the first place. ;)

Mademoiselle
January 24th, 2016, 11:43 AM
I taked beer yeast and what germ and only felt stronger nails, but now I take a multivitamin for hair (group B vitamins, iron, zink and selenium) and I see my hair grow better, almost no falls, and my nails grow fast and are more strong too. I only use this multivitamin from september to this month, and now I rest a time and go to take it in april or may :)

lapis_lazuli
January 24th, 2016, 11:46 AM
From taking biotin, I've had excellent nail growth... although hair and nail growth tend to go hand in hand :)

Garnetgem
January 24th, 2016, 06:48 PM
I was once prescribed B6 by my doctor and wow hair would not stop growing it was surprising at the speed of it,prescription ones are way better...

lapis_lazuli
January 24th, 2016, 06:55 PM
Oh, and with biotin I of course had a few breakouts here and there but nothing serious :p

Belle Paix
January 24th, 2016, 06:56 PM
I take viviscal religiously. Just recently started vitamin c and fish oil. I got 8" last year, and my hair seems very healthy!

Garnetgem
January 24th, 2016, 08:32 PM
I have recently upped my iron intake dosage and now my shedding has slowed to almost stopping...

parkmikii
January 26th, 2016, 05:06 AM
From taking biotin, I've had excellent nail growth... although hair and nail growth tend to go hand in hand :)

Same here! I just started taking it again to get rid of the henna leftovers. The nails from my right hand are quite orange XD

llamacat
January 27th, 2016, 08:24 PM
I don't think vitamins help me. Perhaps I've got enough from my food

hopefulred
October 13th, 2016, 12:53 PM
How do you know if you are deficient in vitamins and so need to take them? I eat veg, fruit, oily fish, chicken, eggs and avacado everyday and almonds, would I get everything from my diet? I already suffer from hormonal acne so am scared to take biotin to help with hair growth incase it makes the acne worse? What is msm?

lapushka
October 13th, 2016, 01:19 PM
How do you know if you are deficient in vitamins and so need to take them? I eat veg, fruit, oily fish, chicken, eggs and avacado everyday and almonds, would I get everything from my diet? I already suffer from hormonal acne so am scared to take biotin to help with hair growth incase it makes the acne worse? What is msm?

You ask your doctor for bloodwork. :)

Mrstran
October 22nd, 2016, 09:20 AM
My hair grows a cm a month on top of my head (it always has)
My hair in the back I'm not so sure how fast it use to grow. Over the last month I have been taking biotin, Omega, & a multi, and doing hot oil massages. I get a tad over over twice as much growth in the back as I do in the front. Like I said though, I really don't know if this is something new or if my hair has always grown like this. You'd think I'd have a natural mullet.
As for anything else, my nails are thicker and harder, I love it.

MegHan-Solo
December 8th, 2016, 05:57 AM
I take a multi vitamin and a biotin supplement. My hair and nails have been growing at my summer speed since I started taking them rather than my slower winter speed. I also feel like I have more energy which is nice.

jessic6
December 8th, 2016, 07:38 PM
I take a multivitamin and fish oil for general health, and have been taking them for about 2-3 months now. They don't seem to have any effect on my hair. :shrug:

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 8th, 2016, 08:37 PM
I have been taking multi vits for the last year or so and I do not think they lead to my growth, tbh.

Currently I take some gummy multi ever day and then in place once or twice a week, i take the hair skin and nail vit from natures bounty, i do not take these every day because of the high amount of biotin and the taste and smell. They are gross! lol

lapushka
December 9th, 2016, 05:38 AM
I take a multivitamin and fish oil for general health, and have been taking them for about 2-3 months now. They don't seem to have any effect on my hair. :shrug:

This only has an effect on new growth, not the hair that's already there, so you can't notice anything this soon. Give it at least 6 months!

caprinequeen
January 8th, 2017, 08:06 PM
I take a multivitamin, vitamin C, vitamin D, and fish oil. I find when I take vitamin C and the multi-vitamin my hair is shinier and I get much less breakage than before I started taking them. It depends on what you get in your diet naturally though! If you are eating *perfectly* then any excess amount of vitamin won't be absorbed anyways. I don't eat enough fruits and sometimes not balanced enough meals, so the vitamins help.

TatsuOni
January 9th, 2017, 03:14 AM
I take a supplement for hair, but the main reason that I've continued to eat it for all theese years is because I got rid of my rasches after eating it for just a few weeks. I had rashes on my legs for years, that looked like burn wounds and I tried almost everything to get rid of them. The hair pills worked! :)

lapushka
January 9th, 2017, 03:40 AM
I'm not so much *for* hair, nail, skin supplements, as I am for a regular multivitamin, which is what I take.

I still get my 1/2 growth a month, not more, not less - which is good for me.

ipickee
January 9th, 2017, 08:06 AM
I bought one of thoses mon-sun pill holders, and leave it on my counter with each of my vits in them so I don't forget :lol: best investment thus far.

I bought one of these just yesterday. I was starting to feel like a mobile pharmacy. It was getting a little ridiculous.

lapushka
January 9th, 2017, 10:05 AM
I bought one of these just yesterday. I was starting to feel like a mobile pharmacy. It was getting a little ridiculous.

I have 2 of those, for my *real* medication. :lol: With the help of my mom they get filled every Sunday, for the week. They are very handy tools; this way you never forget that you took something yes/no, especially if you have to take a lot of medication.

Dark40
February 10th, 2017, 05:57 AM
I've been growing my hair since 2010 when I joined LHC, and I've been taking the Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamins. I have gained a lot more length than I would have without the vitamins. Like, about an inch. Without the vitamins I grow a half an inch per month, and with them I grow an inch per month.

emptyque
February 10th, 2017, 07:29 AM
My hair has been growing really fast lately, and I've been taking a biotin gummy. There are so many factors that affect growth rate that I'm not sure how much is from the biotin, although my nails are a lot harder than they ever were, which I hate. I keep scratching myself with them.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
April 21st, 2017, 04:23 AM
I was on a lot of vitamins last year. My hair felt good and I rarely lost more than 5 - 10 strands of hair a day. But they caused a huge increase in my weight:lol:

mariposa0522
April 21st, 2017, 07:23 AM
I take about a medicine chest's worth, but the ones that I really see as having real effect on me is my walmart brand teen multivitamin, zinc, evening primrose oil, and flaxseed oil. My hair is smoother and calmer with my oils, my skin is loads better with zinc, and I just feel better with m multivitamin. I also take biotin, horsetail, and vitamin E but I don't know what kind of effect they have on me. Perhaps the biotin helps my hair grow faster, but not a noticable amount on a month to month basis

Hi Rapunzelwannabe (love your username by the way! :) )
How long have you been taking horsetail for? I think you should (if you already haven't) read about the warnings on horsetail supplements... I was taking them, and I posted in my blog about what indications I found (when researching how to take horsetail supplements)
You can read more at my blog: http://www.may-le.com/2017/03/vitamin-horsetail.html
I would be careful with them though :)

mariposa0522
April 21st, 2017, 08:59 AM

You should ask your doctor to do some bloodwork on you.
Biotin is (in my opinion, i can be wrong) great for your hair... Just make sure not to go over 5,000mcg (5mg)... Honestly if you could find something thats 3,500mcg or lower even better... :
MSM is well, here is a link of a posting I made, you can check it out: http://www.may-le.com/2017/04/vitamin-msm.html