PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my hair/hair type :)

nakmom
January 12th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Ok, so this is my hair clarified without conditioner or any products in it. I used Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo and finger combed in the shower. Once out I only fingered my hair to part it and then left it alone to drip dry.

What type of hair does it look like I have? And what needs to be done with it? I read the "What's wrong with my hair?" article and I'm still lost. It was easy to run my fingers through once completely dry, it doesn't feel crunchy or anything, it's obviously not limp. It just feels like.... hair. :shrug:

So, your thoughts please!

(Pictures taken completely dry before I ever touched it. Sorry they're not the greatest. I only have my MacBook to take photos with.)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/379824_3121081224730_1195530046_33429712_146918517 9_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/390419_3121082784769_1195530046_33429714_878233834 _n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/394218_3121083904797_1195530046_33429717_193202012 9_n.jpg

growingpains
January 13th, 2012, 12:12 AM
I think your hair is 1c! Nothing looks wrong with it to me! Looks great:)

katsrevenge
January 13th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Looks like 1-something hair to me..?

So I say nothing!

ArienEllariel
January 13th, 2012, 12:34 AM
There's nothing "wrong" with your hair. It appears to be 1c to me. Love the hair you have. :D

MonaLisa
January 13th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Nothing wrong, it's pretty!
1c :)

jojo
January 13th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Id call it 1b hair and it looks pretty healthy to me, nice thick hemline too!

Lize
January 13th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Looks a bit like mine, maybe yours is slightly wavier. I'd also say 1c. :)

vatikagirl
January 13th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Thats healthy hair and very pretty too. I'd say they're 1c.

Nightshade
January 13th, 2012, 07:18 AM
I agree on both counts, that there's nothing wrong with your hair, and that it's a lovely 1c :)

Sushi144
January 13th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Look quite thick, I like it ! :)

alyanna
January 13th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Love your hair! Very pretty...

Amber_Maiden
January 13th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Your hair kind of looks like mine. Maybe mine is slightly thicker.

jacqueline101
January 13th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Not much on typing hair but it looks great and healthy to me.

holothuroidea
January 13th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Looks like 1c.

Why do you feel there is something wrong with it?

It looks like it could use some moisture but that's to be expected after clarifying with no conditioner. That you are able to easily run your fingers through it and not have a mess of tangles without using conditioner is, IMO, a testament to your hair's health.

nakmom
January 13th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I guess I guessed right with 1b/1c when I first signed up :)

Why do you feel there is something wrong with it?

It looks like it could use some moisture but that's to be expected after clarifying with no conditioner. That you are able to easily run your fingers through it and not have a mess of tangles without using conditioner is, IMO, a testament to your hair's health.

The reason I asked what's wrong with it is because I read the "What's wrong with my hair" article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44) to "diagnose" my hair (does it need protein? does it need moisture?) and I couldn't figure out what it needed even after doing it :shrug:

habioku
January 13th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Beautiful hair!

I think that's a 1c, too! And a thick one :D I would guess iii.

littleizz
January 13th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I'll follow everyone and say your hair looks great! You might be able to calm down the poofiness with some conditioning or moisture treatments, but you said this was just a clarifying shampoo, and I know mine's a little poofy/frizzy after clarifying too.

And I hope I don't sound like a creeper, but you have such a pretty face and cute smile - I hope you never wear makeup :)

holothuroidea
January 13th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I guess I guessed right with 1b/1c when I first signed up :)

The reason I asked what's wrong with it is because I read the "What's wrong with my hair" article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44) to "diagnose" my hair (does it need protein? does it need moisture?) and I couldn't figure out what it needed even after doing it :shrug:

Probably because you didn't need anything! Are you experiencing any frizz, breakage, extra shedding or tangles? If not, stay the course!

nakmom
January 13th, 2012, 11:56 AM
And I hope I don't sound like a creeper, but you have such a pretty face and cute smile - I hope you never wear makeup :)

Thank you :crush: I usually only put mascara on, but some days I add in a little blush or eyeshadow. If I don't wear any makeup at all I get at least 2-3 customers that say things like "Are you getting sick? You don't look too well." :rolleyes: So that comment just made my day.

Probably because you didn't need anything! Are you experiencing any frizz, breakage, extra shedding or tangles? If not, stay the course!

The only thing that drives me crazy is the shedding. I shed HORRIBLY. It started after I had my daughter, but that's been 2.5 years ago and it still is awful. I did get Implanon at my 6 week check up and still have it in and I'm still nursing as well, so I don't know if either of those play a role in the shedding. :shrug:

holothuroidea
January 13th, 2012, 01:08 PM
The only thing that drives me crazy is the shedding. I shed HORRIBLY. It started after I had my daughter, but that's been 2.5 years ago and it still is awful. I did get Implanon at my 6 week check up and still have it in and I'm still nursing as well, so I don't know if either of those play a role in the shedding. :shrug:

Shedding can be hormonal so it might be the lactating, although I am also lactating and I shed next to nothing. I had a huge shed around 6 months post partum, but it's done now and I have a lot of new growth.

Is Implanon hormonal?

If it's been a problem for years I doubt it is from your routine. I had really bad shedding when I tried CO washes and WO and I had really bad scalp acne at the same time so I think they were related, but it went away after I started using shampoo again.

heidi w.
January 13th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I don't know a stitch about all this hair typing business. I don't even know what my hair is according to that system, and I don't care either.

Your hair looks basically fine. I would have conditioned, at least, the length -- maybe not scalp skin and related hair.

Your hair appears a bit to have body, but as though it's been straightened a bit?

Your hair also appears to maybe be a bit dry, and possibly have problems with fly-away, which likely can be taken care of if you apply conditioner your next hair wash.

I haven't seen your hair in action. Only this photo.

But you may have that kind of hair that's slightly wavy, still fine, perhaps a bit coarse (and I mean a tidibit, at best). This hair type kind of is naturally a bit "fluffy". That may be just the hair you have. This kind of hair really benefits from conditioner being used, at minimum. IF you've never done it, you could look into oiling your hair and see how that goes.....

heidi w.

pepperminttea
January 13th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I can see more than one or two visible S-waves in there; I'd go 1c/2a. :)